[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: overrated writers his Dark Knight Returns and Daredevil
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: FrankMillerSanDiego.jpg (3 MB, 2096x2304) Image search: [Google]
FrankMillerSanDiego.jpg
3 MB, 2096x2304
ITT: overrated writers

his Dark Knight Returns and Daredevil runs are good, but he is obviously insane and in over his head in a lot of other books
>>
>>81968219
Nah his DH stuff is all great and so is Year One
>>
i don't think anyone overrates frank miller anymore, between 9/11 and the alcohol he basically lost his mind
>>
>>81968252
class A dialogue
>>
DKR, Batman Year one and most of his Marvel stuff (DD. Elektra Assassin) were pretty great.
Sin City is also pretty cool. 300 is... well, we got a pretty cool movie out of it, same with the sequel, loosely based on the unpublished Xerxes prequel.
It's a shame he became a parody of himself. But I enjoyed The Spirit movie just because it was incredibly silly.
>>
File: grant-morrison.jpg (420 KB, 732x1025) Image search: [Google]
grant-morrison.jpg
420 KB, 732x1025
Magic probably isn't real.

And if magic is real, the magic that Grant Morrison is using must be dangerous and unhealthy for us. As long as characters like Superman are owned and controlled by a private corporation (and not in the public domain), he's as trustworthy and benevolent as Ronald McDonald. He doesn't care about our well-being, he only wants to sell us a product.
>>
File: 1384845663061.jpg (38 KB, 400x402) Image search: [Google]
1384845663061.jpg
38 KB, 400x402
>>81968219
What are you even talking about? He provided us with some of the best comic arcs (Daredevil, Dark Knight Returns) and some of the best original works (300, Sin City) in the past 30 years.

Saying he's overrated is just stupid: his later works declined in quality because he told the sorts of stories he wanted to tell and didn't have much more to say. It happens to a lot of writers.

His works (especially later) deserve the criticism they get, but he still made great things, which is a lot more than say, Bendis, will ever accomplish.
>>
>>81968219
OP is a fraud tbqh
>>
>>81968292
>DH stuff
>Year One
>posts ASBAR
You sure showed him, anon.
>>
>>81968219
I won't list any names, but you could say that a lot (but not all) of the "great" writers in comics are only great relative to how banal the rest of the comics field is as far as the content of their ideas or the mediocrity of the craft of their writing.

And there's nothing wrong with that. I read comics mostly to be entertained, and a lot of comics are perfectly serviceable for that simple purpose. It only becomes a problem when one's standard for "good" writing becomes defined exclusively by one's exposure to comics writing.
>>
>>81968219

The Grand Wizard Alan Moore put a hex on him.
>>
>>81968292
>not liking Batman being an edgy tryhard manchild
>>
His best comic is give me liberty .
>>
>>81968219
Other way around. Good Frank Miller is boring and Crazy Frank Miller is the best.
>>
File: uh.png (469 KB, 291x593) Image search: [Google]
uh.png
469 KB, 291x593
>>81969527
True

Good Miller just got us subtext with Carrie and Bruce, while crazy Miller gave us this on purpose
>>
>>81968219
>itt: cancer killing comics

Better add Rob Liefeld, Greg Land, Max Landis and whoever draws those punisher Frank Frank faces to the list.
>>
>>81968428
>tfw only person who prefers Bendis' DD over Miller's
Other than that yes I agree Bendis is an awful writer
>>
>>81968219
>but he's obviously insane
and this is bad because?
the best creators are the barshit insane ones
>>
>>81969767
No they aren't, the best creators are the ones who create bland and safe comics that don't offend my sensibilities or make me have to form my own opinion.
>>
>>81969852
Then Marvel are currently making the books for you my friend!
>>
>>81969693
>Rob Liefeld
>killing comics
Pleb detected.

The only thing that he's doing nowadays is funding one of the best scifi comics in years.
>>
>>81969757
But that's just the power of DD. He brings out the best a writer can do.
>>
>>81970166
I can only think of that with Bendis and with Nocenti(and even then her Longshot mini is really good), Waid, Miller and Brubaker all have better works outside their DD.
>>
>>81970166
DD is Soule's best Marvel work in a while...
>>
>>81970751
But Soule's DD is bland as hell. Daredevil was completely ancillary. In his own book!
>>
>>81971145
Still better than his Inhumans, Death of Wolverine, Wolverines, and...

His She Hulk is probably his best marvel work that I can remember.
>>
>>81971644
To be fair, I've only read his She-Hulk.
>>
>>81971644

And it went largely ignored due to the frequently off-putting artwork.
>>
>>81968219
But if you only think of Miller as a writer then you're missing half his influence. The art he did for DD, Ronin, and to a lesser extent DKR had a huge influence on not just comics but pop culture in general.
Plus, RoboCop.
>>
File: MTB.jpg (56 KB, 393x484) Image search: [Google]
MTB.jpg
56 KB, 393x484
>>
>>81968292
He sounds like a tsundere
>>
>>81969301
>not Stan Lee stealing his soul
>>
>>81973745
What a terrible image, you really couldn't even fill up a regular bingo card dimensions?
>>
>>81973551
Robocop being in the same universe as terminator is my head canon. Robocop vs Terminator is a great comic.
>>
>>81974017

I just saved it from an older thread.

Looks like it was made here - http://myfreebingocards.com/bingo-card-generator
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.