[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't we get "mature readers" comics out of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled28.png (603 KB, 400x616) Image search: [Google]
Untitled28.png
603 KB, 400x616
Like Grell Arrow and O'Neil Question?
>>
Because that's not their target demographic. It's a financial issue, not a creative issue.

Why only DC though? Will you not read mature comics if some other publisher publishes them?
>>
>>81966595
They still do stuff that would count, but the changing times mean they no longer need to be labeled like that.
Animal Man and Midnighter come to mind.
>>
They have a hard enough time selling books as it is

DC is struggling
>>
>>81966595
Anon, there's plenty of stuff that's been printed recently that's mature. Just because you don't see a nipple or a penis doesn't mean it's not.
>>
the new young animal imprint is supposed to be for mature readers
>>
>>81966677
I say DC because I've read them all my life and know the characters. Started picking up old Eastman and Laird turtles.
>>
File: Corbis-42-28378362.jpg (113 KB, 640x432) Image search: [Google]
Corbis-42-28378362.jpg
113 KB, 640x432
>>81966595

They cleaned up New York City. That's what happened. I know you said mature but I know you really meant grounded an realistic. Grell Arrow and O'Neil Question stem from grimy street crime and political corruption of the 70's and 80's in America's major cities. While those things still exist they don't have the same aesthetics of those times and aren't as appealing to write about.
>>
>>81966823
>YOUNG Animal
>for mature readers
>>
>>81966832
You are the reason why DC doesn't try expanding into different demographics (such as the "mature readers" audience).

They know that they can always count on you to stay loyal and swallow their shit, no matter how shitty it gets.
>>
>>81967107
don't know why they picked that name since it's already used in japan
>>
>>81967191
Because they'd never heard of it.
>>
>>81967157
That's why I dropped them years ago and I'm exclusively reading back issues. I'm willing to come back and give Green Arrow Rebirth a chance though.
>>
>>81967279
>I'm willing to come back and give Green Arrow Rebirth a chance though.
Ha ha ha, you sucker.
>>
>>81967279
have you read the last dozen issues by the rebirth writer because it's not that good
atleast they got decent artists now
>>
>>81966677
Mature readers pretty much is their demo
>>
>>81967355
>>81967402
I just read that he's going to be using Mike Grell's Green Arrow as influence which gives me some hope and willing to give it a chance.
>>
>>81967509
Manchildren are the target demographic of the Big Two.

Being 45 years old doesn't mean that a reader is mature.
>>
>>81967537
>Green Batman
>No Batfam
I could see the appeal
>>
>>81967107
>>81967191
>Where did the name of the line, “Young Animal,” come from?

>It was a phrase that got caught in my head, and that’s happened to me for a long time, I just get song titles or phrases stuck in my head, and it sounded like it was a really good title for my second solo album. And then when I decided I wasn’t going to make a second solo album — yet — I said, well, it will just be the name of my new project. I started to get in the habit of, when I come up with a good idea, use it. Don’t hold on to it too long. So, “Young Animal” was going to be the name of something, so it might as well be this.
>>
>>81967537
Percy writing is very uneven though.

He's being influenced by Grell's run now and one issue will be great, the next shit, and the next mediocre.
>>
>>81966595
Because they have Vertigo and now Young Animal for that.

I hope the initial four YA books do well so there could be a chance at others like Authority or something.
>>
>>81967045
>They cleaned up New York City.
Worst thing to ever happen to NYC, in my opinion.
>>
>>81968256
>You will never visit or live in the New York or Chicago Frank Sinatra sang about.
>>
>>81969272
Maybe we'll luck out and New York will have some kind of a garbage strike that lasts too many months.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.