[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Otaku Dad/Whomp Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: l1cNGsi.jpg (1 MB, 1200x1564) Image search: [Google]
l1cNGsi.jpg
1 MB, 1200x1564
The finale of Otaku Dad..
>>
>>81958525
wait it's ending?
>>
I know mascara doesn't cover up wrinkles and baggy eyes, but I watched one of those popular make-up tutorials on YouTube, and I was afraid to skip any steps. Is mascara part of the foundation for the concealer? I don't know! My total experience with facial care is trying not to scratch at pimples that haven't yet come to a head.
>>
>>81958563
The post had this.

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for coming with me on this journey. I know it seemed short, but over one year and 55 pages has been a lot of work, both tiring and rewarding.

Years ago, I had the desire to make my own slice of life. Something with no truly absurd situations, save for perhaps the unlikely destruction of a punching bag! I wanted to explore relationships, both familial and romantic. I'm amazed at myself for how much I was able to accomplish with this work.

I wish I had been able to create these comics more than once a week. I often relied on the reader to fill in the gaps of the story between such long intervals of waiting. If possible, some day I'd like to explore things like this with much more of the every-day minutia that makes slice-of-life such a personally delightful setting.

It has been immensely joyful for me to read people's responses to comics, knowing that they're having as much fun reading it as I did writing it.

Lastly, as is my tradition, I would like to apologize that the story is over. The ending, of course, is my least favorite part of anything I love. All good things must come to an end. I can only hope that this can live in the pantheon of those things that can be called "good."

Thank you again for all of your love and support in this endeavor. I will always push forward to create more things that, like this, are love letters to things about which I'm passionate.

Your friend,
- Ronnie
>>
wow.

I had no idea it was even winding down. Feels sudden
>>
oh that kind of sucks. feel like it could have been fleshed out more.
>>
>Timeskip ending

Just like my animes

Good job Ronnie
>>
Yeah, he mentioned it was ending in yesterday's Patreon drawing stream.

Also, technically, drawing Otaku Dad was originally a $1000 Patreon goal and he's since fallen down to $777.
>>
>>81958525
Yeah, RIP
>>
>>81959099
I thought that was due to patreon restructuring their numbers to show the amount after patreon's cut instead of before
>>
>>81959141
I don't know how recent that was, but it slipped under 1K quite some time ago.
>>
Ahhh geeze. That's kind of sad.

Otaku Dad wasn't, like. The best. Not by a long shot. But I thought he could go at least another 100 pages or so. Maybe get to know some of the other characters a little bit better. Then finish it and release it as a traditional manga volume. Plus it was kind of starting to get good with Jack finally showing he has a mature side to him instead of just being a goofy weeb.
>>
>>81958602
RIP Ronnie's better comic. Hopefully he can pull another comic out of his ass to upload alongside Whomp.
>>
>>81959877
I honestly feel like Ronnie is winding down in general. I think he's realized he's not as funny anymore and i don think WHOMP! will last more than a few more months.
>>
>>81958602
Man, I was hoping he would go full-time for Otaku Dad.
Whomp is getting long in the tooth.
>>
>>81959926

I think Ronnie's funny. I really do. I hope he continues to do WHOMP, but maybe on a once-a-week sort of thing. I just hope he doesn't disappear.

I'm hoping Ronnie can find himself someone that he feels comfortable working with. I think his style of art is pretty recognizable and if he found himself a writer to group up with who can write a better story than he does he might be able to make something good.
>>
>>81958525
I didn't know this was going to be a thing that ended. I thought it was just going to go on forever until Ronnie had a heartattack and they found him weeks later in his chair with anime still playing on his computer.
>>
>>81959926
I'm not seeing it, I think he's chugging along just fine. Compare this to other big name comics. QC, control Alt Del, dumbing of age, any of them really keeping the quality?
>>
>>81960150
I'm sure he keeps magnets nearby as a precaution for that exact scenario.
>>
>>81960150

In some beautiful alternate universe this is the case.
>>
>>81958525
The hell? it had barely begun.
>>
>>81958579
Super is such terrible shit, it is literally fanfic-tier.
>>
>>81958579
>that smug
>>
File: 1431791044528.jpg (57 KB, 535x520) Image search: [Google]
1431791044528.jpg
57 KB, 535x520
>>81958602
>>
Whomp will continue because it's Ronnies job. Without it he has no source of income.
>>
I'm not really surprised it ended so quickly. Back when he announced that he won't be able to do vidya streams anymore he said that working on both comics is surprisingly draining.
>>
>>81958602
Nice try ronnie but I'm not your friend
>>
>>81961321
He's sorry
>>
>>81961395
Trying to sneak in a " Your friend Ronnie" like I wouldn't notice. For shame
>>
>>81959141
That is typically only a 10% difference. Patreon takes 5%, and another ~5% for transfer fees. Any other discrepancy is from people who pledged but did not deliver - their money isn't shown for obvious reasons.

Someone who previously showed $1000 would now show $900

When webcomic artist start a patreon they typically gain a lot of support, a chunk of which will taper off over the coming months.

Ronnie has been fairly stable at 750-800 for a while now.
>>
>>81961258
He should have put Whomp on hold
>>
>>81960444
I laughed
>>
>>81958763
I had sorta seen it coming, the story progressed so much faster than it would have in a proper anime.
>>
>>81959099
>Patreon
>>81959141
>>81959213
>>81961474
Pic related shows the approximate 10% drop in December when Patreon changed to show the amount earned. Also, March and April show maybe 5% drop between what patrons pledge and actually pay - one sees this effect on many Patreons.
>>
File: 0vLarYR.png (9 KB, 134x51) Image search: [Google]
0vLarYR.png
9 KB, 134x51
wew lad
>>
>>81959877
>Hopefully he can pull another comic out of his ass to upload alongside Whomp.

Whomp! needs more horror.

Or maybe it's time for Replace and M Dude to battle it out.
>>
RONNIE. IF YOU'RE HERE. MAKE A HORROR COMIC FOR YOUR NEXT PROJECT.
>>
>>81964861
Does Ronnie even browse this place?
>>
>>81965327
He's definitely posted here a few times before. I don't know if it's because he browses /co/ or if someone linked him the thread on twitter.
>>
>>81965444
The latter in a few cases. Sometimes it's his friends who browse here linking him.
>>
>>81958763
Well, I think maybe Patreon had something to do with it? I mean, he said he'd be uploading Otaku Dad when he reaches a certain point on Patreon. And he did. And he started. And now he's quite a lot below that point, as if a lot of people stopped giving him money. So, kinda no wonder he had to stop Otaku Dad too.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.