[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
These were the prime superhero movies of the early 2000's.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: The Golden Age.png (554 KB, 610x394) Image search: [Google]
The Golden Age.png
554 KB, 610x394
These were the prime superhero movies of the early 2000's. Why are they so revilled on /co/ nowadays?
>>
>>81953027
SM2 I liked

I don't get why X2 was so beloved when the scope was so tiny
>>
>>81953027
Because we know better now.
>>
>>81953027
Spider-Man 2 isn't reviled. It holds up quite well actually, and Doc Ock's one of the best villains adapted from a comic book. X2 is kinda okay but nothing special.
>>
>>81953068
>I don't get why X2 was so beloved when the scope was so tiny

why would that even matter
>>
>>81953027
our standards were so much lower in the early 2000s
>>
Raimi's Spiderman 2 still holds up.
>>
File: Spidey Jump.gif (4 MB, 400x217) Image search: [Google]
Spidey Jump.gif
4 MB, 400x217
>>81953027
contrarian faggots that don't understand what makes a good film doesn't equal recreating comic panels or accurate costumes like this retard >>81953085

They're still the GOAT marvel adaptations to me. The only MCU movies that come close are Winter Soldier and Iron Man 1.
>>
>>81953027
But Spidey 2 is still the best capeshit movie.
>>
What? Spidey 2 is very good, X2 is good.
>>
bait thread?

nobody hates x2 or spidey 2

they are beloved films. they're not talked about as much because they're older but they're both quality films by good directors
>>
>reviled
LITERALLY
WHERE
>>
They aged horribly and so did Bale-man cause I never liked that cringe bat voice
>>
>>81953027

Spider-Man 2 is well loved. I think it's goofy as fuck. Everybody hates Superman talking to his Dad on a mountain but it's OK for Pete to talk to uncle Ben in heaven
>>
>>81953027

I didn't like either of them at the time. I thought X2 failed so badly in the story it was trying to tell, that it was basically an effective piece of anti-mutant propaganda.

Spiderman 2 just bored me.
>>
The only people who dislike Spidey 2 at this point are butthurt Andrew Garfags.
>>
>>81953027

I don't hate either. Still think SM2 is one of the best, but even as a highschooler I knew there was a lot of weird camp in it.

It's not the absolute best the genre has to offer, like so many people believe.

As for X-Men, it always had the same flaws of a large cast of poorly used characters.
>>
>>81953068
>scope was so tiny
>killing every mutant/non mutant on the planet
>tiny
>>
I will fight every motherfucker who talks trash on X2. That movie is stuffed with amazing actors giving great performances. Also has some fantastic action sequences.

I don't even mind that Singer's hateboner for Cyclops becomes super-apparent.
>>
>>81953027
I can't hate the Raimi spiderman films. The writing is cheesy as hell and the effects are all over the place but holy shit are they fun to watch. Even the third one is campy enough to be enjoyable
>>
I really don't see what the deal with Spider-Man 2 is. The stuff with Ock was great but half the movie was a shittynlove story and Spider-Man losing his powers due to hormones. Raimi's first Spider-Man was superior.
>>
>>81955878

This

I actually think the movie is cut pretty poorly as well
>>
>>81955878
>The stuff with Ock was great but half the movie was a shittynlove story and Spider-Man losing his powers due to hormones.
Spotted the pleb
>>
>>81956161
You think OJ and Tony had good chemistry?
>>
Spider 2 is loved by nostalgia fags and camp fags

X2 is loved by movie fans who dont have autism fits about lack of colorful spandex
>>
>>81955604
Or grown ups

The movie is hack
>>
What the fuck are you on OP, they're good. Just a different breed from what we're getting now
>>
>>81953027
Spider-Man 2 has a few problems but is overall very good.

>Spider-Man continues to be non-funny and have lame quips, with other characters having better jokes
>Villain is "sympathetic scientist turned evil because of his own science" AGAIN
>Climax of the film is another "Villain kidnaps Mary Jane and forces Spider-Man to fight him" episode
>JJJ's son is wasted (this is a fault that carries over into Spider-Man 3, where the symbiote just comes out from no where)
>Here's your CHANGE

Spider-Man 2 also benefited from the change of aspect ratio.
>>
>hey I have some shitty opinions and what to b8 /co/ with them
>I know Im going to say /co/ agrees with me that will sure get em
>>
>>81955658
>large cast of poorly used characters.
I hated that Singer is only capable of writing four (max five) characters in any movie, and two of them were/are Xavier and Magneto.

In the original trilogy, you had Xavier, Magneto and Wolverine, with everyone else playing second fiddle at best (Cyclops, the designated leader, might as well have been replaced by literally anyone else and it wouldn't change anything; same goes for most other characters).

Then in the new trilogy it's Xavier, Magneto and Mystique. So now, one kinda-reboot later, we're getting X-Men 6(!) and yet the only fleshed out characters are Charles, Erik, Logan and Raven. Stalwart X-Men like Gambit, Angel and Bishop have been glorified cameos, while people like Psylocke, Polaris and Forge have not even shown up.

Six movies of a franchise known for having tons of interesting characters and frequent lineup changes, and all we've gotten is:
>Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine, Mystique (actual characters)
>Rogue, Iceman, Jean, Nightcrawler, Beast (have something approaching an arc)

All the others are worthless.
Goddamn it.
>>
>>81957742
>>Spider-Man continues to be non-funny and have lame quips, with other characters having better jokes
>>Villain is "sympathetic scientist turned evil because of his own science" AGAIN
>>Climax of the film is another "Villain kidnaps Mary Jane and forces Spider-Man to fight him" episode
Nigga that's literally Spider-Man to a tee.
>>
>>81957965
Psylocke's shown up 2 times anon.
>>
>>81958351
I'm not counting Apocalypse since it hasn't come out yet.

And I'm definitely not counting her "appearance" in X3, considering that was a single-scene character with no resemblance to the comic book character in powers, costume or motivation.
>>
>>81955878

The love aspect is incredibly poor, specially since I'm an MJfag.

But what really bothers me of the movie is the weird camp humor injected into otherwise decent drama, and the quirky tonal shifts that result from scene to scene.

Like when the movie decides to go for b-movie horror shlock to introduce Ock.

Or all the random screaming women Raimi loves to cut to through the movie, some even in slow mo.
>>
Well Spiderman 2 was way longer than it needed to be and the losing powers sublplot just kind of resolved without issue.

Also they sort of return of the king'd the ending. The part with MJ running out of her wedding was awful.
>>
>>81953027
Spiderman 3 - that's true capekino

Spiderman 2 is meh, bad CGI, no tension, Mary Jane is shit, villain just robs banks.
>>
File: 1351548765928.jpg (165 KB, 1000x650) Image search: [Google]
1351548765928.jpg
165 KB, 1000x650
>>81958311
Spider-Man is supposed to be funny.

It's justifiable with Doc Ock, but Norman Osborn did turn bad because of his science. He was always a jerk.

>Villain kidnaps Mary Jane and forces Spider-Man to fight him

STOP IT
>>
>>81959985
>It's justifiable with Doc Ock, but Norman Osborn did turn bad because of his science. He was always a jerk.

I meant to say "did not turn bad"

I'm going to bed
>>
>>81953143
More our standard is much lower now.
>>
>>81955435
It was a dream, bro.

Also, it was done well.
>>
>>81953027
I never liked x2 and was amazed that x3 managed to be worse but I like Spiderman 1&2.
>>
File: 1451073213907.jpg (162 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1451073213907.jpg
162 KB, 1000x1000
>>81953027
contrarians trying to out-contrarian one another, just like most of 4chan

it's the opposite of what's happening on /tv/ now with the Star Wars prequels and people unironically defending them
>>
Does /co/ really dislike those now? I always felt that I was in the minority here, not liking those two movies.

I guess it's not really surprising though, this place gets more and more hateful all the time. It's rare to see anything get praise here. The only acceptable opinion to have is to hate everything, otherwise you're a pleb/shill/drone.
>>
>>81958311
>Nigga that's literally Spider-Man to a tee.
You have clearly never read a single Spider-Man comic in your life.
>>
spider-man 2 is the goat cape film tho. only /co/ntrarian faggots and webbfags shit on it.

also, those comic page intros set to danny elfman's ost are flippin gold.
>>
Why don't the hip contrarians ever defend Spider-man 3? That movie got shit on by everyone but it's actually pretty decent.
>>
>>81953027
They’re pretty universally loved, actually.

X2 does meander sometimes though.
>>
>>81957742
>JJJ's son is wasted (this is a fault that carries over into Spider-Man 3, where the symbiote just comes out from no where)
I always felt sorry for him. He got left at the goddamn altar, and he judging by how he ran to save her, he did genuinely love her.
>>
>>81963539
It was weird and the tone didn't fit the tone of the previous movies at all.
>>
>>81955659
Yeah, that triggered Alex Ross and is why he prefers the first to the second. I can't say I disagree, if you think about it a lot of people would have died while they were too busy being in excruciating pain and such an event would likely result in an all-out round-up/massacre of mutants.
>>
>>81963632
All three movies were a mix of goofy with serious, 3 just ramped up both to levels people were uncomfortable with. It's very bipolar-feeling, which I imagine what Raimi was going for.
>>
>>81963666
>3 just ramped up both to levels people were uncomfortable with
That's the problem, I don't wanna feel uncomfortable watching a movie.
>>
>>81953027

X2 was fucking great what is wrong with you folks.

Brian Cox was perfect as Stryker.
>>
>>81955878
>The stuff with Ock was great but half the movie was a Spider-Man story

Fix'd.
>>
File: 4418924-2ec.jpg (38 KB, 327x316) Image search: [Google]
4418924-2ec.jpg
38 KB, 327x316
>>81963539
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRPoiTHMuzc
>>
>>81964059
Brain Cox is a treasure that one day leave this planet and that makes me sad.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.