[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What could have been done to improve her character, /co/? Also,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Merida.jpg (467 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
Merida.jpg
467 KB, 1600x1000
What could have been done to improve her character, /co/? Also, would you watch a Brave 2 with an adult Merida?
>>
>>81939586
Who cares what could have been done? You got the movie that was made. Any speculation and fantasizing won't change that. You should just go write a fanfic.
>>
>>81939586
Like Korra, the problem wasn't her character but that the story didn't make her grow properly.

The movie needed to introduce a clear central conflict early on and keep it's theming consistent.

As for a sequel, fuck no.
>>
>>81939586
Give her a reason to not want to marry beyond "I don't want to.". I get that political marriages suck, but we all gotta eat shit at some point.

It would've been nice if she wanted to focus on honing her warrior skills because her ambitions included defending her country. That would be reasonable enough, I think. Also would've been a good excuse to have more action beats, which this movie really needed instead of wacky bear mom antics.

... I really wanted to like this movie, but it's not letting me.
>>
>>81939750
>The movie needed to introduce a clear central conflict early on and keep it's theming consistent.

I thought it was fairly consistent. True, there were two main problems (Merida having issues with her mother and turning her into a bear) but I think that they resolves it quite well.
>>
>>81939751
>Also would've been a good excuse to have more action beats, which this movie really needed instead of wacky bear mom antics.

Maybe Brave 2 turns out to be a PG Braveheart?
>>
>>81939913
The bear thing doesn't show up until halfway through the movie, Mor'du has no thematic connection to anything else, and Merida's opening and closing narration has nothing to do with anything else, either.
>>
>>81939992
>The bear thing doesn't show up until halfway through the movie

It was actually sooner, though.

> Mor'du has no thematic connection to anything else

Despite being the bear that her father's been trying to kill for years and decided to show up and stomp shit again?

>Merida's opening and closing narration has nothing to do with anything else, either.

She spoke about "changing her fate" which was sort of a thing in the movie but get's a bit dropped off coming down to the end. I guess I'll have to partially agree with you there. It had something to do with the movie, but it just wasn't addressed enough.
>>
>>81940241
The guy meant that Mor'du has very little personal connection to Merida, and bar his backstory, he's mostly just a threat to be slain. Even his backstory is trying to give a moral of "don't go it alone and be an asshole", but ultimately, Merida doesn't get any repercussions for going it alone and gets everything she wanted.
>>
>>81940324
>but ultimately, Merida doesn't get any repercussions for going it alone and gets everything she wanted.

As princesses in Disney movies often get. You're right, though. Maybe if Mor'du were to kill Fergus earlier on in the movie (or maybe during the last fight scene like what with HTTYD 2 did with Stoic and Toothless), and then she'd realize how badly she fucked up. Not sure how they'd make the movie end on a happy note after that, though.
>>
>>81939586
Make her into a male and have all the female suitors be vapid analogues to today's millennial females. The movie would still be shit, but the uproar would be well worth it.
>>
>>81940464
>Make her into a male and have all the female suitors be vapid analogues to today's millennial females. The movie would still be shit, but the uproar would be well worth it.

Fucking golden.
>>
>>81940241
>Despite being the bear that her father's been trying to kill for years and decided to show up and stomp shit again?
That's exactly what I mean; That subplot has pretty much zero to do with Merida's conflict with her mother.
>>
>>81940551
>That subplot has pretty much zero to do with Merida's conflict with her mother.

What if, and hear me out for a moment here, that in the beginning of the movie Elinor attacks Mor'du after Fergus is knocked down and she manages to wound him and scare him off somehow. That way, Mor'du would be after Elinor instead of Fergus as he would be out for revenge for the wounds he suffered.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.