[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chris Rock asked JJ Abrams to save the Fantastic Four
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 7
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/chris-rock-asks-jj-abrams-to-direct-rescue-fantastic-four-films

>"Can you direct 'Fantastic Four?'" Rock, who was apparently not a fan of either Tim Story or Josh Trank's efforts, asked, according to EW. "Can someone save it? I love the Fantastic Four and they keep ****ing it up!"

Do you think Abrams would be able to do it? I sure as hell don't; guys a hack
>>
It'll be better than what we've got. Dude has a great sense of character and pull great performances from his actor/actress
>>
>>>/tv/
>>
Why Chris? Why do you hate Abrams? Why would you ask him to voluntarily curse his career?
>>
>Fantastic Four fans actually exist
Why? How? Their best runs cap off at the "passable" range.
>>
>>81911962
>Their best runs cap off at the "passable" range

> Lee/Kirby
> Bynre
> Simonson
> fucking passable

Shit taste
>>
>>81911962
They have the GOAT villain.
>>
No I don't think he could, there hasn't been a good Fantastic Four movie for Abrams to just remake
>>
>>81911492

JJ Abhrams could "save" it in the sense he could make a ton of money with just his name attached. But it still wouldn't be any could because JJ is terrible.
>>
I'm not surprised that anyone over 40 is a fan of comics, no matter who they are. In fact I imagine everyone on here who's in a comic thread to be over 40.
>>
>>81911962
It's mostly blacks. I know at least two who are fucking huge fans and they are PISSED that the fire dude was casted as a black guy.
>>
>>81912298
>things that never happened
>>
>>81912344
seriously.

We want the whole damn famb to be black, nigga.
>>
>JJ Abrams
>saving anything
>>
>>81912011
>not mentioning waid
>not mentioning based fucking hickman run
>>
>>81911492

If JJ went full faux-Spielberg like Super 8 it could actually be pretty good.

It'll be fun to see people in this thread try and argue that the Tim Story F4 and Tranktastic are somehow better then TFA though, since 4chan has decreed it to be the single worst film in human history and possibly the first sign of the Apocalypse.
>>
>>81911492
>Do you think Abrams would be able to do it?
Yeah. I think he'd be able to smash that shit.

With the sense of adventure he injected into Star Trek.
With the whimsy and interpersonal relationships he showed he can handle with Super 8.

Honestly the only film he has directed that I DONT actually like was Star Trek into darkness. And even that was filmed well and stupidly entertaining in it's own way, it just wasn't very well thought out.

But a group of super science explorers who are all part of some weird dysfunctional family. Yeah I think he could do that right.
>>
>>81912479
Waid's run was dogshit.
>>
>>81911962
Most FF fans I know are actually more fans of the villains, such as Doom, Galactus, or the Skrulls, than they are of the actual team. I think its one of the few times where the audience is there for the villains instead of the heroes. I can't blame them. FF is really white beard.
>>
>>81912344
>>>/pol/
>>
>>81912479
Yeah I didn't mention them. Hickman's run is full of ugly or just servicable art, I'm not reading that.

I haven't enjoyed anything by Mark Waid except The Flash and Impulse
>>
File: 1412845378377.jpg (10 KB, 234x317) Image search: [Google]
1412845378377.jpg
10 KB, 234x317
>>81911962
>Their best runs cap off at the "passable" range.
Lee/Kirby FF is one of the best comic runs of the silver age and one of Marvel's all-time best comic runs. Byrne's Fantastic Four was one of Marvel's best bronze age comics. Hickman's Fantastic Four is arguably the best thing to come out of the late-00s/early-10s era of Marvel. Simonson, Waid, and DeFalco's F4 runs are all far above "passable" and Ultimate F4 was one of the best parts of the Ultimate Universe, Land's horrible art aside.

So you can fuck RIGHT off.
>>
>>81912344
My friend hates it when they hate race-swap because, unlike the fuckheads who whine for them, he actually read comics before.
>>
>>81911962
Says the guy who only knows about them through wikis and their movies.
>>
I'd prefer it if Favreau did it.
>>
>>81911687
o_0
>>
>>81912491
>since 4chan has decreed it to be the single worst film in human history and possibly the first sign of the Apocalypse.

You mean /tv/ decreed it.
>>
>>81913737
0_o
>>
>>81912344
Things that totally happened. Even if you're okay with race swapping, anyone that knows the Fantastic Four knows that Johnny being made the one to look like you is a fucking insult.

He is literally the dumbest guy.
>>
>>81912650
>>81911962
>I am basing my opinion about something I never read on a shitty, inaccurate movie
Let me guess, you dislike all the FF except for Ben?
>>
>Marvel gets rights back
>F4 are super scientists literally from the 60s
>cosmic rays gave powers and slowed aging
>disappeared into the stars
>gradually resurface in other movies before coming back together

best i can think of. another full on reboot is impossible imo no matter how much good will marvel studios has accrued
>>
>>81911492
no oh god no keep JJ the fuck away from the FF he's already ruined Star Trek and Star Wars
>>
>>81914141
Star Wars was fine, I think it could've done with less obvious nods to the original trilogy, but it was what a new Star Wars needed to be a fun space adventure movie

I hate his Star Trek
>>
>>81913888
race-swap Reed into being black. Black guy being the smartest man on the planet everyone will know it's science fiction right off the bat
>>
>>81914141
JJ is who you come to when your franchise has been fucked up by too many risky choices that fell flat. He makes safe, pandering shit that appeals to the plebeian masses. So basically WB should hire him to do Justice League.
>>
>>81914253
Nah, switch Ben. Ben's basically a stereotypical urban success story as is.
>>
>>81911492
JJ couldn't save F4 because there hasn't been a good F4 movie for him to copy
>>
>>81914253
>race-swap Reed into being black
But then he's just Blue Marvel.
>>
>>81914310
Turn one of the only good jews in fiction into a black guy just because he's from the hood.

Fuck that.

There's no reason there has to be a black guy. Just bring in Wyatt Wingfoot and you've got a Native American. That's gotten earn some points with the progressives, right?
>>
>>81914299
WB should hire anybody else to do Justice League - literally anybody. I'd take Josh Trank over Snyder.
>>
>>81915239
>I'd take Josh Trank over Snyder.
Be careful what you wish for.
>>
>>81911747
I dunno, anon. He gave Star Wars and Star Trek a good shot in the arm.
>>
>>81912449
>What is Star Wars
>>
>>81918377
> Star Trek a good shot in the arm

No
>>
File: Brad Bird.jpg (11 KB, 214x317) Image search: [Google]
Brad Bird.jpg
11 KB, 214x317
If anyone should direct a FF reboot it should be this man since he basically made the best Fantastic Four movie that wasn't called Fantastic Four. Also in a perfect world he would be the one directing Spider Man
>>
>>81918504
Oh yeah I can't wait for a FF movie where they get booed at and sued for saving people. Or when Mr. Fantastic casually uses his superpowers to attack a civilian
>>
File: 000000000000.png (237 KB, 545x291) Image search: [Google]
000000000000.png
237 KB, 545x291
>>81918577
>>
Yeah probably. He's good at taking things only basement dwellers like (Star Trek) and making them palpable for a general audience.
>>
>>81914053
Scientists from the '60s, gets you more Carter, Pym, and Stark so that's good. I think I'd be more onboard with them going into an alternate dimension and coming out decades later the same age, like a reverse Narnia situation (or is that too close to Captain America?) That could either be how they get there powers or how the movie ends, leading into a modern sequel.
>>
>>81914141
I assume his Star Wars was Disney's movie, not his, he feels like a director that just does exactly what the studio wants, and that's what Disney seems to be aiming for generally.
>>
>>81911492
The real question is who do you cast Chris Rock as in a FF movie?

I'm going MODOK
>>
>>81914233
Yeah, after the first one I thought, okay, get people back into star trek, can't go crazt with it, that's fine.
Then ID comes out and its just Wrath of Khan smashed together with a clusterfuck if 9/11 truther bullshit, forced star trek references and the thinnest layer of characterization possible.
>>
>>81920983
HERBIE
>>
>>81911492
Absolutely. I'm not always a fan of JJ's work either, but this is a project I would definitely see his talents being effective. His strong suit is taking other people's high-concept sci-fi elements, and not really adding anything creative of his own, but making human, likable, engaging characters within those sci-fi worlds. That's what Fantastic 4 needs most of all, for the character dynamic of the 4 leads to work.
>>
>>81918961
Look man, outside of the family angle, all the similarities shared by FF and The Incredible are purely superficial. Their narratives and backgrounds have absolutely no correlation.
>>
>>81914053
That's actually a really neat idea.
>>
>>81921250
and you dont think that Brad Bird would apply the family dynamic and discard anything that doesnt apply from the incredibles?
>>
>>81911492
I'd honestly give Ioan Gruffudd and Michael Chiklis a second go at Reed and Ben. I honestly can't even read for The Thing without hearing Chiklis voice anymore.
>>
>>81921321
>ioan gruffudd as reed again
Nah, I don't think so. Him as Reed was part of the problem of the older movies, I think.
>>
Chris Rock should help pay Disney to get the rights back from Fox
>>
>>81918413
That's funny. You're funny.
>>
>>81921321
Chiklis was fucking perfect. He was almost as good as shillinger was at playing jjj.
>>
>>81911492
He can at least give us a decent F4. Anyways, I want Abrams to do his own stuff. Capeshit is fucking cancer and the faster this genre die the better.
>>
>>81912298

>It's mostly blacks
>I know two

Stop.
>>
>>81912344
Nigra here,
I couldn't give two fucks about Blonny, but race-swapping in general is dumb.
>>
>>81921817
>faster this genre die the better.
Once people besides Marvel and DC start pumping them out and the market gets flooded it will happen. If Valiant ever actually makes those movies it could be the start of the end

They'll go the way of Westerns. Meaning over every so often you'll still get one and it'll probably be great. The Unforgiven or Appaloosa of cape movies will come
>>
>>81913898
Sorry that the FF team is the most boring fucking team in the universe and keeps getting shitty movies.
>>
>>81921583
>Disney
>not having enough money to just buy all of Fox if they wanted

Don't underestimate the powerhouse money fountain of the Mouse, Anon. Only reason it hasn't been bought by Disney yet is likely because Fox can probably earn more longterm by shitting out terrible fucking movies, so they're refusing to sell.
>>
>>81918577
I know you're being intentionally stupid, but i'm still going to call you a faggot
>>
>>81921817
What are you doing on /co/ if you're really going to call superheroes capeshit and cancer? Like are you some elitist faggot that only reads Hellboy and Goon? Are you here for the cartoons? I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>81921996
>earn more
Have they? Although Deadpool probably made up for whatever F4 lost FOX
>>
>>81915106
Okay, have him be a Black Jew. Done.
>>
>>81911492

>JJ Abrams

No thanks. He can't even save a 3rd Star Trek movie at this point and I could have made the money Star Wars did.

He targets name brands because his own shit fails on concept or ends up like Cloverfield.

People call him a modern Spielberg but at least Spielberg made franchises popular while Abrams just uses them as an excuse for his shitty movies.

I'd say he is worse than Bay since at least Bay does do action well where as Abrams doesn't know WHAT the fuck he does.
>>
>>81922511
Would a MCU Bay movie work well?
>>
>>81912491
Do you do it for free or for a fee?
>>
>>81911492
Why was Chris Rock interviewing Abrams.
>>
>>81913731
Favreau has never directed anything with the scope/magnitude that a proper F4 movie would portray.
>>
>>81914233
>it was what a new Star Wars needed to be a rehash of the original film
Kill yourself funfag.
>>
>>81914053

They were Super Scientist agents in the same item as Hank and Janet.

Baxter building starts coming back from whatever dimension it was stuck in.

Old man Hank is with others as the building finally materializes.

First thing Hank does is punch Stretch right in the face.

Reed relocates his jaw which is spun around his head a few times.

"Nice to see you too Hank. You're looking well."

Though I wouldn't get Abrams. He's a bit too much on the Fanfiction side of film directing for my tastes.
>>
>>81922775
What else is he going to do?
>>
>>81912298
That happened
>>
>>81911962
Fuck off, Fantastic Four is the best consistent comic Marvel ever put out. From Lee to Bryne its amazing.
>>
>>81921107
Oh shit I want this
>>
>>81918577
Well the boos and lawsuits are par for the course of Marvel citizens
>>
>>81922658
Bay needs to do Green Lantern
>>
>>81911962
>there are people browsing /co/ who didnt even read Lee/Kirby F4
>The comic run that put Marvel on the map
this board is fucked
>>
File: hahahaha.gif (385 KB, 1200x787) Image search: [Google]
hahahaha.gif
385 KB, 1200x787
>>81922849
>Reed relocates his jaw which is spun around his head a few times.
>"Nice to see you too Hank. You're looking well."
I like the way you think.
>>
>>81923434
Welcome to /co/ - Cinematic Universes and Company Wars
>>
>>81915106
>Turn one of the only good jews in fiction into a black guy just because he's from the hood.
There were plenty of good jews in the holocaust.
>>
>>81913796
Not even /tv/ can be contrarian enough to love it.
>>
>>81922658
Marvel formula is basically an improved version of Bay formula. In short, MCU is a better version of Bay movie.
>>
>>81922265
I love comic but the current Super heroes flick suck just look at Marvel and DC movie. It's like when Arnold and Stallone were the face of Hollywood.
>>
File: Sue Storm30.jpg (96 KB, 500x326) Image search: [Google]
Sue Storm30.jpg
96 KB, 500x326
>>81921107
>Reed, why does your robot sound like an African-American comedian?
>>
>>81912650
>FF is really white beard.
GURARARARARA
>>
>>81918504

Didn't he said that he's been wanting to do FF under Disney?

I'm pretty sure Tomorrowland was a compromise over Disney's failure to get the FF rights.
>>
>>81922775
Dude really loves the Fantastic Four.
>>
>>81915106

No, because when it comes to Hollywood, no one gives a shit about minorites except black people. This is evidenced by the Oscars So White movement ignoring that their were two non white nominees. One, which just had two nominations at the Globes, and the other which was guaranteed a repeat Best Director and Best Picture.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.