[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
read any good "books" lately?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: joe sacco.jpg (3 MB, 1941x2088) Image search: [Google]
joe sacco.jpg
3 MB, 1941x2088
read any good "books" lately?
>>
>>81895714
Bought Bumf recently, just up to the "Nixon goes to the weird moon-type "planet" with his manchicken friend"....anyway I'm loving it and it's the best thing Sacco's done in ages. Being funny, obscene, satirical and subversive suits him more than "po-faced journalist", I think.
My copy's a THIRD printing Jonathan Cape edition so it must be doing well, good for Joe! Really intrigued about the " ...and thanks to the Viz (drawn in the Viz logo style) boys!" dedication on the indicia page, would love to hear the story behind that.....
>>
>>81897160
yeah i love how surreal he gets in it, hope volume 2 comes out soon
>>
>>81897422
Yeah man! Glad this thread is actually about Bumf and not something that an Anon picked a random image for OP pic!
D'ya like But I Like It? That's more "comedy mode", too (I paid 3 quid for a mint copy from a local comic shop that basically just sells capestuff!)....I also had Notes From A Defeatist but gave it away 'cause I like to do nice things sometimes!
You read any good "alternative" NON-Sacco stuff recently?
>>
>>81897734
I haven't read either of those although i'm definitely aware of them, I have read 'spotlight on the genius that is joe sacco" though which is pretty funny, last non sacco thing I read was bodyworld from dash shaw(in book form) and that really blew me away, it was the only major thing from him I had yet to read and it's probably now my favorite of his, the things he did when the characters "meld minds" is nuts and I really enjoyed the drama with the characters, especially Paulie. I thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of it on all levels
>>
>>81895714
Man, I'm mixed on Sacco. He did a book on the middle east, Footnotes from Gaza? That was really good, so I picked up Notes of a Defeatist, and hated it.
>>
>>81898185
that's quite the jump since you went from his most recent big journalism comic to a book that has a ton of old stuff, should have got the book "journalism" by him instead if you wanted a journalist focused collection of his stuff
>>
>>81898185
The Fixer is supposed to be good.
>>
>>81898453
It's a companion piece with safe area gorazde(my favorite comic by him) and it is
>>
bumf
>>
>>81898069
Oh, man, I read Bodyworld when he originally serialised it as a webcomic, the WHOLE THING, and like you it ble me the fuck away...like ya said, his formalist tricks at portraying stuff comics can only do are the work of a genius and his art in that comic is my favourite of all his styles...apparrently he made Paulie resemble Dick Tracy! There's a DOPE interview in TCJ #300 (where they did all these "cross-generational" interviews/discussions--Art Spiegleman and Kevin Huizenga, Matt Fraction and denny O'Neill, frank Quitely and Dave Gibbons, Sammy Harkham and J.C Menu...ya get the idea) and one of the best (along with the Spiegleman/Huizenga discussion) was Dash Shaw and David Mazzucchelli. Dunno if ya know but Shaw was Mazz's pupil at SVA, it's SUCH a great piece; really long, they talk about so much stuff with so much humour and passion...in my opinion there're even parts in Aesterios Polyp where Mazz has appropriated little formal tics/tricks that are STRAIGHT from the "How To Make Comics The Dash Shaw Way". Which is kind of cool, the master learning from the pupil...sign of a good teacher, am I right?
Anyway my "LCS" (it's not my local comic shop but it's the joint best comic shop in the UK and they're fairly close to me and I buy mail order from 'em when I can't actually go) still has a copy of Bodyworld at cover price and I NEED to snap that shit up ASAP! Fucking beautifully-deigned book. Legit masterpiece. Only got Belly Button and Mother's Mouth (title?) by Shaw, as well as everything he did for Mome as I heard bad things about New School and his other big work...the cosplay comics are suppossed to be good though, right?
>>81898185
Yes that's all early stuff, I have bits in anthologies and his ( Fantagraphic's lowest selling title ever!) Yahoo comic, like >>81898439 said that's a jump there! Try Safe Area Gorazde (which, like>>81898506 said, is amazing) if ever there's a work to "legitimise" comics in the eyes of the literati then that is it!
>>
>>81900590
Maybe i'm in the minority but i really enjoyed New School, especially reading it in book form where his splash pages are so impressive given the size of the thing , writing wise it feels more like an experiment since he uses like old tymey dialect for the main characters in the beginning and then when they go to the island everyone else uses more modern ways of speaking, seemed like an odd way to show the difference between the two places but he also goes more crazy with his painting on the island as well to show the difference visually and I think it would have been better just to have the increase of color be the way to show the change.
Doctors is also really good but it's more like Bottomless in that he doesn't really experiment too much(in fact he experiments even less), he just usual his more standard visuals and storytelling, he does move to digital coloring whole pages and using color schemes that cover the whole page to set the mood and such, story wise I liked it more than New School, it definitely felt more unique than New School given that it's about coming back from the dead. I also totally forgot about Cosplayers, I think a book release is coming soon, I might just read it when that comes out.
>>
File: cole jack.png (532 KB, 388x505) Image search: [Google]
cole jack.png
532 KB, 388x505
bbuummpp
>>
let's bump this up one more time
>>
I'm about to start reading the Goon. What should I expect other than dark comedy?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.