[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does /co/ feel about Jem? Yeah, yeah, put aside the girly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8
How does /co/ feel about Jem?

Yeah, yeah, put aside the girly shit for a second. The 80's show was good for what it was. It did a lot of shit that other cartoons weren't trying at the same time and it did them wonderfully.

I took out the comic book from the library because I kinda had high hopes for it. But I personally don't know how I feel about what the author did...
>>
Just to point out the things I'm not really sure about.

Kimber is a lesbian

Everyone has this half-shaved head thing going on

Half of the cast are "chubby" or "fat"

Misfits Roxy may or may not be a transwoman, I haven't figured that out yet.
>>
The show was simultaneously dumb and awesome, both dumber and more awesome than most 80's cartoons at the time. I love it.

Never saw the movie and never will.

The comic is great.
>>
>>81889547
You think so? Even with the SJW tumblr screen all over it?

and the ponies everywhere

I did enjoy it. I just really wasn't sure how I should feel about certain things. I mean, if anyone should be munching carpet, at least it's Kimber. She's pretty adorbs.
>>
>>81889603
SJW aspect didn't bother me. Kimber lesbian didn't bother me either, it's actually hinted at in the show. I think it's a good update of the series and I like the new character designs, especially for The Misfits.
>>
File: rio.png (168 KB, 523x367) Image search: [Google]
rio.png
168 KB, 523x367
>>81889736
Woah wait, it was?

Holy shit I gotta rewatch this.

Also is it just me...
Or is Rio just not that hot?
I find myself questioning why anyone wants this man's balls.

Then again he's probably just overshadowed by adorable girls everywhere.
>>
Love the show, don't care for the comic but I realize it isn't being written for me
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 640x480
>>81889887
Forgive me for not remembering the episode name, but in one Kimber and Stormer leave their respective bands and form their own band. The episode is filled with shots of them really close to each other (several times full-on embracing in long hugs), they refer to each other as "partners", and there's a shot of Stormer lying in bed and looking at a photo on her nightstand of the two of them together saying "Oh, Kimber..."

It's pretty blatant for a kids cartoon.
>>
Didn't really watch it that much, but I remember liking the music. If they did another series (that wasn't complete trash), I'd be up for watching it.
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 640x480
>>81889887
>>81890049
They also hold hands in one music video
>>
>>81889603
Ponies are IDW's biggest seller aren't they? I'm sure by having them around it'll convince at least a few people to pick it up or give it a try.
>>
The 80's cartoon really does not get enough credit. People have a revisionist history where they like to think there was no good writing in American television cartoons until BTAS but that's false. I have no nostalgic connection to it but I watched it when it came on Hub and was amazed by the quality of writing.
>>
>>81889464
it was outrageous
>>
>>81889464
>The 80's show was good for what it was
A cartoon aimed specifically at little girls and elderly gay men?
>>
>>81889464
80 cartoon had 1000000/10 character designs.

Comic just sucks.
>>
>>81890214
Truly truly truly outrageous?
>>
Outrageous
>>
Jem is faaaaaaaaar and away the single greatest cartoon to come from America in the eighties. To THIS DAY it is one of the most feminist cartoons ever made, rivaled only by My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and The Legend of Korra. Heck, Jerrica Benton is probably the greatest female role model in cartoon history.

Don't even get me started on the Misfits, those girls are the greatest characters ever concieved. They're the best Batman villains that are not copyright DC Comics.

And the entire audio-visual design of the shiw, holyyyyyy shit. Jem is the one thing on Earth that makes me jealous of people that got to live in America during the eighties. It is THAT enthralling.

So yeah, Jem is one of the greatest things ever made.
>>
>>81889603
wait, I thought people loved lesbians because it was pure love.
>>
The comic succeeds at doing the impossible by modernizing the whole shebang without losing any of the property's soul. Nevermind the way it sates fan-expectations with storylines some people have waited three entire decades to see, nevermind the groundbreaking characters designs in american comics, nevermind the entire production feeling completely original while in reality fully sticking with the spirit of the original cartoon series:

I am absolutely certain that people will look back at the Jem and The Holograms comic as an all-emcopassing documentaristic mirror of our current age; the same way people look at the original cartoon as a condensed reflection of its age.

And that, really, is the ultimate praise any version of Jem should strive for.
>>
>>81889511
Pretty sure Roxy isn't.

But Blaze is. Maybe you were thinking of Blaze?
>>
>>81896557
It was a Blaze post.

He was thinking about Blaze.
>>
>>81895454
>The comic succeeds at doing the impossible by modernizing the whole shebang without losing any of the property's soul.
Are you fucking high? It didn't just lose the soul of the IP, it raped its dead corpse into the ground worse than the live action movie. It's nothing but a soapbox comic with zero respect for the story Christie Marx told.
>>
>>81897812
I can't even fathom what you are getting at so I'm just going to say that I disagree.
>>
File: jem.jpg (247 KB, 533x810) Image search: [Google]
jem.jpg
247 KB, 533x810
the art for the comic is really good.
>>
File: truly_truly_truly_by_mooncalfe.jpg (646 KB, 791x1200) Image search: [Google]
truly_truly_truly_by_mooncalfe.jpg
646 KB, 791x1200
You can say that again!
>>
File: VuCRA9J.jpg (9 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
VuCRA9J.jpg
9 KB, 500x313
>>81898579
>>81898811
i dont understand, how do people who draw like this get hired? are they out sourced? or is it just because its cheaper to hire shit?
>>
File: 1417116687777.png (2 MB, 970x1473) Image search: [Google]
1417116687777.png
2 MB, 970x1473
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.