[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a Riddler appreciation thread? Also why don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11
File: TheRiddler_AC.jpg (537 KB, 1280x2004) Image search: [Google]
TheRiddler_AC.jpg
537 KB, 1280x2004
Can we have a Riddler appreciation thread?
Also why don't writers just use the Arkham games version of the Riddler rather than re-envisioning him every time. Those games are pretty much the perfect portrayal of him.
>>
>>81886245
Arkham riddler is so fucking annoying with his retarded puzzles. I feel like Batman indulges him out of pity
>>
>>81886245
>Those games are pretty much the perfect portrayal of him.
I disagree.
>>
>fingerless gloves, buttonfly pants, and an open blazer
the real riddle what the fuck is going on with his outfit
>>
File: Riddler-batman-2004.jpg (31 KB, 616x450) Image search: [Google]
Riddler-batman-2004.jpg
31 KB, 616x450
>>81886330
>>
File: Gotham-Key-Art-Edward-acbcc[1].jpg (27 KB, 250x326) Image search: [Google]
Gotham-Key-Art-Edward-acbcc[1].jpg
27 KB, 250x326
Best Riddler ? Best Riddler
>>
Riddler is one of those characters where it feels like most people's ideal versions are derived more from bits and pieces of external media and head canon rather than anything direct from the comics.It's almost like people look at the bowler hat and suit design and just go from there.
>>
>>81886245
He kinda looks like David Tennant in that panel.
>>
>>81886371
people like to shit on him, but this riddler was great.
>>
File: 1431968432533.jpg (19 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1431968432533.jpg
19 KB, 640x480
>>81886371
No.
>>
File: gary_kasparov.jpg (90 KB, 1280x866) Image search: [Google]
gary_kasparov.jpg
90 KB, 1280x866
I feel like he shouldn't be grinning smugly all the time.
And that he wasn't so skinny.
In MANY versions of the character he looks like a Joker without makeup, physically.
I like the fact that he's sometimes older, but I think they could make him more serious, give him a "professional chess player" vibe rather than "HAHAHA LOOK AT HOW MENTAL I AM, BATMAN! HEAR ME CACKLE!" That feels very Joker-ish.

Or make him a bit fat... or make him decisively old, or make him more cyber-punk (since he always works with computers these days anyway). Something to really set him apart in his looks.

The fact that he likes green and purple as colors doesn't help.
>>
>>81886391
Highly intelligent, kind of a short temper, egotistical, views things as a game. His personality is the same but the execution varies. Some people make him really nerdy, some make him way-too-cool-for-school. Even Frank Gorshin's interpretation had some of those elements I described (He sometimes lost his temper), just throw in a lot more giddiness and hyperactive joy to the mix.
>>
>>81886391
Is it my fault that Frank Gorshin was the best?
>>
>>81886389
>gamergate riddler
>best riddler

Nah, thanks
>>
I legitimately don't get what his motivations are as a villain. He's supposed to be brilliant, but unhinged, that makes sense. But what makes him dangerous? He feels like he should be an unreliable contact point to the criminal underground, like Catwoman.
>>
>>81886679
>But what makes him dangerous?
To regular people, because he kidnaps them and forces them into Saw-like scenarios or just threatens general safety of people for a "Find the bomb!" hide-n-seek game. To other villains, he's only threatening when he's pulling the strings, behind the scenes, manipulating others to fight for him. But one-on-one, he'll usually get his ass kicked.

He is an unreliable hire in the sense that his loyalty is unpredictable. If he comes up with a better idea along the way, he might ditch the original plan even if that means sacrificing you. Sometimes he'll compromise the plan by leaving riddles without telling his partner. Sometimes, he's a man of his word and everything will be fine. Really depends on how he's feeling at the moment.
>>
I just want Detective Riddler back.
No,OP, Arkham games Riddler was retarded and completely missed the Point of the character.
>>
>>81886526
His personality isn't that much different from how he normally is, it's just the design that was a radical change.
>>
>>81886533
>Questions Multiply The Mystery
Patrician taste, /co/mrade. That was my second Batman comic ever and probably the reason why The Riddler is my favorite Batman villain.
>>
Ridller makes no sense as a Batman villain.
He should be a Question villain.
>>
>>81887060
He shouldn't be a villain,period. Dini's detective Riddler run was top tier.
>>
>>81886531
>And that he wasn't so skinny.
>In MANY versions of the character he looks like a Joker without makeup, physically.
But Joker is very skinny. Except for when he's played by hunks in live-action or in TDKR.
>>
I enjoyed Riddler a lot in Zero Year.
>>
>>81887089
Nah, enough with this "Batman rogue stopping being bad" thing.
Already happened to Catwoman, Ivy and probably will happen to Harley too.
At this rate Joker will be the only popular villain left.
>>
>>81887060
Only if you have have never read about the characters and talk about them based on their description. Riddler is a great foil for a detective superhero, Question is a philosophical hero.
>>
File: Gotham City Sirens #9 - Page 3.jpg (460 KB, 1280x1987) Image search: [Google]
Gotham City Sirens #9 - Page 3.jpg
460 KB, 1280x1987
>>81887089
City Sirens was one of his best appearances in my opinion.
>>
File: tumblr_mtsr4udPrn1rlrqmeo1_1280.jpg (190 KB, 551x835) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mtsr4udPrn1rlrqmeo1_1280.jpg
190 KB, 551x835
>>81887060
>Things casuals say.
>>
>>81887060
The question ain't really a intellectual detective.
>>
>>81887137
Riddler was never a threatening villain in the first place. He's always been the 'safe' villain aside from exceptions like DKDC (in which he's literally possessed) and Zero Year. Technically I should mention Hush too,but my stomach is kind of revolting.
>>
I really like Rocksteady's take on Riddler in AA & AC too, OP (I haven't played Arkham Knight yet). The "throw three batarangs and then time your divebomb" style puzzles do stretch credence after a while, but that's a video game mechanic so I can forgive it, because aside from that I really like the idea of the Riddler being a threat because he can insinuate his influence everywhere, with spies in all the other gangs feeding him information and setting up traps and puzzles to distract or deter Batman. It's true that when Batman gets within arm's reach of the Riddler, it's basically all over, so it makes sense he'd adjust his M.O. to torment Batman from afar, and that changes him from just some guy in a green suit to an appropriately, almost mythical role as one of the major shadows looming over Gotham - the sign of a neon-green question mark, whether spraypainted on the side of a building or in the form of an LED geo-cache, should be TERRIFYING to the average citizens of Gotham (remember the Boston ATHF bomb scare?). They also did an excellent job of highlighting his arrogance and "stupid sheeple don't DESERVE to live, man" attitude.
>>
>>81887137
>villains have to be irredeemable psychos
No thank you.
>>
>>81887252
This is something very minor and might be more game-related, but I really loved in Arkham City, if you went back to some of the key points for the Riddler side quest, he would make a comment saying, "Didn't you DO this one already? Why are you here? Hoping to solve it again?".

I really love extra shit like that in games.
>>
>>81886245
>Can we have a Riddler appreciation thread?

No. Cause he ain't rich.
>>
>start playing Arkham Knight recently
>fucking Riddler puzzles and his sidequests require the Batmobile

Including the Batmobile in the game was a mistake.
>>
File: 1443333483983.jpg (218 KB, 670x1024) Image search: [Google]
1443333483983.jpg
218 KB, 670x1024
>>81887174
Agreed.

Also, what happened to Query and Echo? Haven't seen them since the reboot.
>>
>>81887237
The problem is that the riddler needs an intellectual writer to realize him as Batman's true Moriarty and Batman are not intellectuals.
>>
>The Riddler's petty, petty rivalry with Calculator
>>
>>81886245
"Riddle me this Batman: a question mark trophy on top of a building." Yeah, great riddles man. And it just gets worse in Arkham Knight, because then he's just "Riddle me this Batman: drive a car real fast."
>>
>>81887137
Not to mention Catman and Bane, sort-of-kind-of, in Secret Six.

Well, at least those characters don't have as many annoying fans. It always perplexes me when people act as though, because they decided that a Batman villain is their favorite character, they're somehow ENTITLED to that character being the hero of his own stories, forever and evermore, amen. I mean, sure, enjoy Detective Riddler if that's what you like, but you had to have known, even as soon as it happened, that there was no way it was gonna stick forever. Even Penguin's Iceberg Lounge got sunken out from under him recently in Batman Eternal. Because while it may seem novel now, after a few years, when that villain only appears to have exposition squeezed out of them by Batman and have him snarl "I'LL BE WATCHING YOU." before swinging back to the main story, it gets old. And the vast majority of people, like, HUGE numbers of people, more than there are people who know the difference between Marvel and DC, know that Riddler/Catwoman/Penguin/whoever is a BATMAN VILLAIN. And to be fair, that IS what they were created to be. It's actually really hard to take a character who exists solely in service to another character's story, and turn him into a protagonist in his own. And if you're gonna say "Oh, it's not that hard, just write detective stories with the Riddler!" - it is that hard, aside from Dini or Rucka, most Batman writers these days don't know how to write classic mysteries. And it's because they don't read detective/crime fiction, they've just read a lot of comic books.

So, TLDR, if you want more arrogant detective shenanigans, there's an entire literary genre for that, you just might have to read a book without pictures. Or just watch Sherlock, if that's your life choice.
>>
as far as making riddler a big bat villain fuck off with this mah street level shit zero year did a pretty good job
>>
>>81887214
People who say that shit have never actually read The Question, they only know him from JLU. If they did, they'd remember the O'Neil issue where Vic completely breaks down the Riddler in like one page. If you think Riddler is an ineffective villain against BATMAN...
>>
>>81887328
Yeah, I love that shit, that and his increasingly in-denial nervous break-downs as you get closer and closer to him.
>>
>>81887483
Yeah, there's a definite problem of quantity over quality with those trophies, but I'd like to think they serve a purpose - maybe they're like geocaches for his informants to leave messages in (hence why you unlock info as you collect them), and/or distractions to keep the crooks, cops and Batman from noticing the subtler hidden listening devices throughout the city/asylum.
>>
>>81887353
The batmobile ruined Arkham Knight.
>>
>>81887535
But that was a shitty riddler though?
>holding a bus hostage and just shooting them.
All that issue was was denny wanking off about Koans like someone like the riddler was going to take them literal, as if western civilisation doesn't have logical paradoxes? Fuck off with that shit.
>>
>>81887653
the story too ruined Arkham Knight
and the pointless DLC
and everyone being a huge asshole
>>
>>81887535
>what is jobbing?
>>
If the there was one thing Snyder did right in his Batman run it was his reinvention of the Riddler. They need to use that version going forward.
>>
>>81887696
>character loses against someone anytime
>N-NO ITS JOBBING FOREVER AND ALWAYS
>>
>>81887535
post?
>>
>>81888206
Not the guy, but Riddler should be waaay smarter than Question. Jobbing is used as a bad excuse a lot of times, but when it is dumb and should not happen, it is jobbing. Plus, the story in question had riddler acting completely out of character anyway.
>>
>>81886996

I prefer the interpretation of his face marks being tattoos, its fits more with how obsessive he's about everything.

Also, this Riddler was unlucky as fuck when it came to women. iirc, the issue ends with the guard being so traumatized by Joker that she never came back to work.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.