[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's Discuss: Disney/Pixar at the End of the 2000's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: patf.jpg (2 MB, 2000x3000) Image search: [Google]
patf.jpg
2 MB, 2000x3000
So I think most would agree that the 2000's were kind of a rough decade for Disney, especially in the middle with shit like Home on the Range and Chicken Littles. However, I'd say the end of the decade is when they really started redeeming themselves. Princess and the Frog was a great return to form, an attempt at recapturing the magic of the Renaissance, and I think they succeeded at it. Do you?

Meanwhile, Pixar actually had a pretty strong decade, with Cars being the only real exception. However, even then I'd say the last couple years is where they really peaked - WALL-E in 2008 and Up in 2009 I'd argue are some of their best movies, if not their actual best. Do you agree? If not, why not? If so, why do you think they finally got good again (for Disney) or even better (for Pixar) around 2008 and 2009? Have they been getting even better since then, or have they since gone downhill?
>>
Princess and the Frog was pure magic, but I really wish it had done better than it did, or at least better than Tangled. I blame Tangled's numbers crushing PATF for the reason they gave up on 2D and have done only 3D since then (Winnie the Pooh 2011 doesn't count.)
>>
Eh, it's hard to say it for Pixar since Pixar is pretty much consistently good (even Cars isn't THAT bad) up until Cars 2 and Good Dinosaur, so really it' sjust that 2010's is when Pixar finally sunk.

Disney did finally get their shit together with PATF though, but I think Tangled is what was really the big hit that kept them coasting into the Revival.
>>
>>81869501
I thought Princess and the Frog was kind of a mess, all the ingredients for a good movie were there but it didn't come together.
>>
>>81870121
I kind of see what you're saying. It could have been a little more coherent. But I still enjoyed it anyway and loved the villain. The music was damn good too, even though at th etime I was hoping they would have brought Alan Menken back instead of using Randy Newman, who I associated as "The Pixar Music Guy" at the time.
>>
Stream on as part of a M-W-F marathon through Disney and Pixar. Tonight is WALL-E, Princess and the Frog, and Up. Shorts on right now, first movie in like 10 minutes.

live stream dot com slash oakshappyfuntime
>>
Princess and the Frog was great but I'm sad it was the last Princessy 2D film. Wasn't Frozen originally supposed to be 2D?
>>
WALL-E is probably the best movie Pixar ever made, but I feel it's not acknowledged by them that much because kids didn't like it. Definitely seesm more targeted to older crowds - flew over the heads of most littluns.
>>
Tiana is best princess.
>>
>>81871353
Agreed man. No other princess works as hard for her dreams as Tiana.
>>
Princess and the Frog is the best Revival movie. Fight me.
>>
>>81870506
Wall-E's credits are on. Princess and the Frog coming up.
>>
>>81872804

'nuff said.

I actually fucking cry whenever I watch a documentary or making of this. All that effort put into something that should've saved 2D animation......
>>
Princess and the Frog is amazing. One of the best Disney Villains in the whole Canon.
>>
>>81869797

It was beautifully animated, but other than Dr. Facilier and Lotte, most of the characters were pretty bland and forgettable. It felt like they were afraid to take any risks, so they ended up with a mediocre story. It would have been more interesting if they had gone with their original idea of making Tiana a jazz-loving flapper girl instead of a workaholic waitress. Their shared love of music would have given Tiana and Naveen something more interesting to bond over.
>>
>>81873528
Up is starting in a few minutes.
>>
>>81870121
I watched it again recently. The first half is honestly amazing. The way they present the setting and characters is great and the villain is obviously top-notch. But as the movie goes on, especially in the middle, it feels like they're just going down a checklist. Like "Yep, we're gonna need to introduce wacky animal #1 now. And of course wacky animal #1 is gonna need an introduction song. Alright, here's a mentor character and her song. Don't forgot to make sure Tiana misses the point of whatevers going on and mentions hard work every ten minutes on the dot."
>>
>>81869797
I agree, P&TF was one of the better Disney movies out there. Although I don't know what they were thinking pitting Winnie the Pooh against Harry Potter in theaters, that was nothing but corporate sabotage.
>>
>>81870016
Man, Cars 2 was disappointing
>>
>>81883489
It didn't need to be made in the first place honestly.
>>
>>81870506
>everyone left when i joined

why?
>>
File: 1.jpg (50 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
50 KB, 500x365
>>81869501
>Disney will never do a 2D animated movie ever again
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.