[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If DC kicks Snyder out after Justice League. What directors would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7
File: image.png (602 KB, 1346x558) Image search: [Google]
image.png
602 KB, 1346x558
If DC kicks Snyder out after Justice League. What directors would be best suited for future Man of Steel and Justice League movies?
>>
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 790x552) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 790x552
George Miller
>>
>>81861374
Guillermo Del Toro
George Miller
Alfonso Cuaron
Any of the 95 other great directors they have
Maybe even a relative unknown, they can be surprising (Gareth Edwards and Godzilla for example). There are so many options at the ready, you have a stacked and capable cast, a whole host of some of the best composers in the industry (yes, even if Zimmer exited), and the cinematographers that made Snyder's work at least very pretty to look at
Why WB actively decides to come nowhere close to potential profits by putting Snyder at the helm I have no clue
>>
File: Tripping Shrooms.gif (414 KB, 411x325) Image search: [Google]
Tripping Shrooms.gif
414 KB, 411x325
>>81861456
Stop this. Its amazing Fury Road was as good as it was.

And the answer is obviously Doug Liman. He's done tons of shit with WB and Edge of Tomorrow was GOAT.
>>
>>81861937
>why WB actively decides to come nowhere close to potential profits by putting Snyder at the helm I have no clue
His wife that's why
>>
>>81862380
That doesn't make sense. WB execs still have to answer to shareholders. My guess is that WB has just been very unlucky. No other director wanted to do MOS and now they are probably stuck with him. I doubt any competent director would want to deal with the mess of taking over for Justice League.
>>
>>81861456

I thought he hated superman.
>>
>>81862564
>No other director wanted to do MOS and now they are probably stuck with him
GDT was about to get on board but we all know what happens with his projects
I think the Noah director wanted in too
>>
>>81861456

He already said Superman's boring, fuck that faggot
>>
>>81861374
I'll do it myself.
>>
>>81863134
This.
>>
>>81861937
daren aronofsky would fit right in with what has already been established
seconded on cuaron
and yeah wb has a shitload of good directors, it's kind of a bummer that they haven't gone around and recruited for individual movies but moreso for producers at at the top of it all
>>
>>81861374
>What directors would be best suited for future Man of Steel and Justice League movies?

JJ Abrams maybe? Ridley Scott?
>>
>>81862564
>WB execs still have to answer to shareholder

exactly and this was a WB exec movie since they changed the name from MoS 2 to BvS, everything Snyder planned for MoS 2 had either to be deleted or changed, together with the script, Snyder even stated his plans like not having cryptonite yet it happened. Ben and Terrio tried to salvage what was there but apparently Ben only cared about Batman and Terrio had also all the shit to include related to the rest of the DCEU in an already existing script.

People were right, the whole thing turned into a mess and Snyder is not the only one to blame.

>b-but Snyder is the director, he made all the decisions alone

I know /co/ has a hateboner for Snyder but believing this is beyond retarded.
>>
>>81861456
He would be a great choice to be at the helm of the "Justice League" and other "DCEU" projects. He was going to do a "Justice League" movie but, sadly it got turned down and won't see the light of day. I just hope WB would hire him again, if Zack Snyder fucks up again with part one. I just hope WB gives him another chance.
>>
>>81863468
Hi Snyder
>>
>>81862564
>>81862380
>>81861937
The story I gathered was basically this:

* DC/WB were thinking of making a new Superman movie after seeing the success of Nolan's first two films. They wanted something really good, by really great creators.
* DC/WB get sued by the Siegel estate, which basically amounts to "oh, you're thinking of making a movie? if you don't go through with it right now, we'll take all of the production money you've set aside for it."
* DC/WB have to throw caution to the wind and hurry EVERYTHING up. they ask nolan for some input, and he and goyer give them a rushed pitch (if Nolan worked more on it himself, it would have been better)
* WB execs eat it up, but now have to find a director
* nolan can't do it; cuaron was in pre-production for gravity; other heavy-hitters were off doing who-knows-what or were turned off by what WB was telling them.
* in a nutshell, WB pitched the directors "hey, wanna direct this superman movie?? we won't pay you that well, you'll be under our thumb for a decade, you won't be able to see your family for months at a time, and oh yeah, we can't let you be in pre-production for long: you have to start production ASAP. is that cool???"
* snyder, the absolute madman, is the only person who said yes. his "love" for comics made it an opportunity he couldn't miss; plus, the production style suited him.
>>
File: drake-video-01.jpg (86 KB, 612x380) Image search: [Google]
drake-video-01.jpg
86 KB, 612x380
>>81863468
>>b-but Snyder is the director, he made all the decisions alone
>I know /co/ has a hateboner for Snyder but believing this is beyond retarded.

What's your excuse for Man of Feel then? Or Sucker Punch?
>>
>>81863468
>b-but Snyder is the director, he made all the decisions alone
Nobody's saying this, but missing key features of storytelling like establishing shots in favor of spending a solid minute watching Batman walk across a room with a sink or having Finch stutter for 45 seconds shows that Snyder is really not a great technical director. He can stage a pretty picture or visual metaphor, but he doesn't know how to make something cohesive.
>>
>>81863580

Man of Steel was good and not muh superman-fags can suck my dick, there is no excuse for Sucker Punch though.
>>
>>81861937
Or the guy who directed Edge of Tomorrow. Pretty much anyone who's proven to make at least a half-decent high-concept action movie would be a better choice than Snyder. Why they haven't kicked him to the curb yet is a mystery unless ABSOLUTELY no one is willing to take up the mantle.
>>
>>81863571
>they ask nolan for some input, and he and goyer give them a rushed pitch (if Nolan worked more on it himself, it would have been better)
Nolan tried to save us. He did.
The pitch itself is a great idea. Emphasizing Superman's disconnect with society while still maintaining his core optimism is the best way to "modernize" Superman for audiences. It's just the one-two GoyerSnyder combo trashed any finesse with which it could've been executed. Whenever I read a piece on Nolan and the DCEU it's always about how he wanted to do something differently but he was then "convinced" by Snyder's vision. He spoke against killing Zod (whether or not you agree with the decision, it caused a ton of controversy) and reintroducing Batman in the Superman sequel as well.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-M4WXov2lM
>>
>>81863580
>I know /co/ has a hateboner for Snyder but believing this is beyond retarded.

MoS was a combination of Snyder and Goyer. Sucker Punch had Snyder writing, directing and producing so the entire thing was a hilariously self-indulgent trainwreck.

BvS had a lot of other hands in the pot than just Snyder. It's biggest failing (besides Supes still not getting a chance to grow as a character) is just that none of the good ideas get a chance to coalesce together because it's edited in such a crazy scattershot, dream-logic way.
>>
>>81863580
>Sucker Punch
that shibuya dude is a fucking hack
>>
>>81863635
>Man of Steel was good
haha
>>
>>81861374
>Nobody gives a shit about Zack Snyder taking on Marvel
>>
>>81863584
>establishing shots
fuuuuuckkkkkkkkkk
>>
>>81861374
Literally anyone. Ben Affleck? JJ Abrams? Doug Liman?
>>
>>81861374

No "name" director wants anything to do with CBMs.

Every CBM director of the past 10 years (save for Nolan, Vaughn, and Ayer) are ones that already had long history with CBMs/niche films, or were unexperienced with just a few films under their belt.

Edgar Wright was the biggest name attached to a CBM a years, and thats only because he was attached before the current boom began, and because he was radically changing the Ant-Man story to fit his vision (the old CBM way, not the new way which prides itself on being faithful takes).

And of course, Wright noped the fuck out of Ant-Man when Marvel tried to alter that vision (with such major additions as mentioning Janet Van Dyne at all).
>>
>>81861937
>we'll never get Gareth Edwards autistically developing a DC movie so close to the source material that people start complaining about it
>>
>>81866785
>Edgar Wright was the biggest name attached to a CBM a years

Who is Kenneth fucking Branaugh?
>>
>>81861374
It doesn't matters, if this board is anything to go by.
You faggots are going to hate it anyway.
>>
File: 1407718407267.jpg (161 KB, 550x1583) Image search: [Google]
1407718407267.jpg
161 KB, 550x1583
>>81866792
>Gareth Edwards
>close to the source material
>>
>>81866785
>No "name" director wants anything to do with CBMs.
Good, because Marvel realised that their shared universe works best by treating them like episodes of a TV show. And that is why they started hiring TV series directors for their movies. The idea being that the director should not run the show, but be just another member of the vast team that builds the entire franchise. Film directors are used to throwing their weight around, but TV directors understand boundaries.
>>
Matthew Vaughn would be my pick.

He has experience with both action movies, comic book movies, and team comic book movies. I didn't like X-men first class. But I would probably call it a good film (just wasn't a personal fan of the story chosen or half the characters chosen) and think this guy would be damn well suited doing a Justice League flick.
>>
>>81862380
His wife is not that big.
>>
>>81861374
In this scenario is the universe rebooted or is it still building off the Snyder movies? Because if its the latter it might not matter. I don't care if a new farmer moves in, if the soil is still on a toxic waste dump.
>>
>>81867170

You're too reasonable to be on /co/, get out of here.
>>
>>81861111
>>
>>81867072
>implying Mothra and Ghidorah won't be as god tier as Godzilla's redesign
>implying it's even possible to screw up Rodan
>>
>>81861456

Fury Road was only so good because Miller worked on it for nearly a decade.
Throwing him so late into the development wouldnt guarantee a good movie.
>>
>>81867435
>god tier as Godzilla's redesign

The 2014 design totally missed the point of Godzilla.
It was barely better than Godzooky or Emmerichs Zilla.
>>
>>81867539
Some rock solid bait you got there
>>
>>81867539
Wow that was such an intensely eloquent criticism I completely see your point now. I didn't think it did miss the point, but you said it did and now I get that.
>>
File: original.jpg (521 KB, 970x546) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
521 KB, 970x546
>>81867595

Because making Godzilla look like a friendly neighbourhood dragon is definitely the right direction for a mutated monster that is supposed to convey fear and terror.

Not to mention the totally butchered origin.
>>
>>81867816
It was the third best godzilla movie and the best godzilla design.
I'm not sure if your just baiting or just a nippon shill or legitimally without any cognitive capabilities
>>
>>81863036
>>81863134
This
>>
>>81867884
>It was the third best godzilla movie and the best godzilla design.

now THATS some quality bait
>>
File: sillhouette.jpg (49 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sillhouette.jpg
49 KB, 1280x720
>>81867816
>that is supposed to convey fear and terror.
It paid reference to 60 years of Godzilla, that's what makes it perfect. Based on the angle and the slight emotes it ranges from mysterious to sympathetic to demonic.
>Not to mention the totally butchered origin.
It's a different (or more correctly, broader) metaphor than the original but still a good one and again multifaceted enough to support the entire run of Godzilla
>>
>>81863571
>>81863717

Warner Brothers didn't asked Christopher Nolan for anything. They were already doing a Superman project when Goyer showed Nolan his idea for Superman movie during the making of TDKR and Nolan liked. Nolan and Goyer then worked on the script together and Nolan pitched the script to WB. WB then threw their Superman project away and committed to to the Nolan/Goyer Superman movie.

Also, Goyer wanted a romantic story starring Lois Lane with Superman being just there while Nolan wanted a sci-fi movie about Krypton and kryptonians.

Nolan wasn't going to save anything. He wanted more Krypton shit.
>>
>>81863584

>Nobody's saying this, but missing key features of storytelling like establishing shots in favor of spending a solid minute watching Batman walk across a room with a sink or having Finch stutter for 45 seconds shows that Snyder is really not a great technical director. He can stage a pretty picture or visual metaphor, but he doesn't know how to make something cohesive.

No, is the editors fault. They butchered the movie.

http://www.provideocoalition.com/art-cut-batman-v-superman-editor-david-brenner/

Read the link up.
>>
>>81868027
Considering Krypton was among the best parts of the movie, that says a lot
>>
>>81868085
Snyder has the final say of what goes in and what goes out. If he actually did shoot establishing shots, watched the movie in its final state, and said "that's fine keep it that way" it's almost as bad as him not even filming establishing shots in the first place.
>>
>>81868130

>Snyder has the final say of what goes in and what goes out.

The studio has the final say.

The deal was, Snyder can film whatever he wants while finding space for the JL thing and his vision will be in the blu-rays and whatnot, but the studio decides how the theatrical release will be. So David Brenner's mission was to cut all the "unnecessary" shit for the theatrical release.
>>
>>81868130
Honestly people defending Snyder seem to attribute so little to him in an attempt to absolve his guilt that he might as well be replaced anyway since by their logic he's got no input whatsoever on the movie.
>>
>>81868216
>and his vision will be in the blu-rays and whatnot
We'll see. I'll be pretty mad at WB if the blu ray works as a cohesive package.
>>
This entire universe just needs to be rebooted.
>>
>>81868222

Snyder is to blame for a lot of things like hiring Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, filling the movie with nightmares, taking lines from the comics but fucking with the context were they played, being an edgy cunt and so on. The director version will probably be 90% his fault, since the director version cut 4 hours of movie into 3 and kept a lot of things he did.

But there are a lot of things that came from Ben Affleck, Chris Terio and WB. Affleck made the movie be more about Batman which is something WB liked and Terrio tried to make a DEEP movie by inserting a bunch of literature shit. I bet that the Martha thing came from Terrio. Is the type of thing that a guy who never read comics would find odd and neat. WB also wanted to make the movie shorter and just kept cutting the movie.
>>
>Affleck
>Leto
>Irons
>Terrio
>Simmons
>Margot
Solo Batman is STACKED
>>
>>81868404

Also, people should stop blaming Goyer for BvS. He wrote a draft for Man of Steel 2 and hate the fact that the Superman movie became a Batman v Superman thing. He recently said the whole attempt feels like a desperate move like Freddy vs Jason.
>>
>>81868517

Goyer is a huge Lois fan for some odd reason. He's probably butthurt about Batman taking Lois focus in the movie.
>>
>>81868404
>Terrio tried to make a DEEP movie by inserting a bunch of literature shit.
What literature shit did Terrio add because all the biblical stuff was in MoS as well, is supposedly a good thing, and trying to be DEEP is a directorial mark. The Excalibur stuff is Snyder's doing as well.

And given that Snyder is the one saying Justice League is going to be Batman focused, I have a hard time believing it's everyone else's fault that this movie had a Batman focus.

BvS's main problem is that it draws from a dozen different stories, all of which are in conflict with each other. So you get a big disjointed mess. Some of that sure, like the sequel hooks, is probably the studio's fault. But...You don't want to hear this but Man of Steel did the exact same thing. Byrne's Man of Steel, Miracleman 15, Birthright, and Earth One mix about as well as oil and water.
>>
>>81868690

>And given that Snyder is the one saying Justice League is going to be Batman focused, I have a hard time believing it's everyone else's fault that this movie had a Batman focus.

You're talking about a company that shoves Batman into everything.
>>
>>81867466
It'd guarantee a better movie than what Snyder's gonna shit out
>>
>>81861374
It won't matter.

It's not work-for-hire as you'd understand it; Zack and Deborah Snyder have basically underwritten all the development work for the next five movies and likely beyond.

Getting them out requires buying them out; like in a law firm or a medical practice or whatever. They're expecting a lot of money down the line so if you wanted to buy them out now, you'd need to pay them a reasonable amount related to expected and projected earnings. Since BvS is actually earning a lot of money, just not enough for what the studio chose to spend on it, the Snyders would still expect a lot of money. Mr Snyder also needs to be bought out of his directing duties, which net him 10% of all grosses on his DCEU movies if we use his earnings from Man of Steel as a template.

Buying them out would probably run to hundreds of millions right now. It's easier to just wait it out and see if they start improving, gross-wise, because he's only on for a set number of pictures and the studio can always develop later movies - after the next five or so that are already made or being made - with someone else.

Firing either of them is out of the question unless they're found balls deep in an underage dead dog made of cocaine.
>>
>>81862303
Miller's done plenty of great work; Fury Road was just the Mad Max he would have made thirty years ago given a real budget.

The thing is, he doesn't want the project. He's been offered it and turned it down, and unlike Affleck (who was also offered it) he now has the benefit of looking at what he nearly stepped in.

>>81863571
My take on it was that it was intentionally bad because they didn't think that the rights would come back to them, but then because the last one had been so disappointing in 2006, the fans had been stewing over the MCU and were desperate for a Superman movie, so we ended up with something making money even though it is, objectively, a badly written, poorly structured and horrifically acted and presented piece of shit. Getting the rights back meant they had to move forward or risk looking dumb; if they'd stayed out they could have said to the Siegel estate "look, it's not making us money because of the rights share, so we're going to do something less expensive" and just made comics and the occasional cartoon. Short term loss would have held off longer-term obligations and lawsuits.

The way they suddenly had "big announcements" at SDCC 2013 which turned out to be an old alternative Batman/Superman logo from 2007, a renamed "Untitled Batman Reboot 2015" slot and a presentation that was if I remember right ranting about how they had big plans for Metal Men - which really sounds like it was just the first thing they saw on a stand in the convention hall that day - doesn't scream confidence in the project.
>>
>>81867816
>supposed to convey fear and terror

C'mon, senpai. Godzilla has been the heroic protector of earth at least as often as he's been a deadly threat.
>>
Snyder is okay. Batman v Superman was pretty good, just had bad editing. I do want someone better for Superman. Even Spielberg would be a better fit for the character than Snyder and Goyer.
>>
>>81867816
>Not to mention the totally butchered origin.
Its the same origin Godzilla was given in Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
>>81867884
>It was the third best godzilla movie and the best godzilla design.
No Gojira, Godzilla vs Biollante, GMK are absolutely better and 85, G vs KG & G vs Destroyah are reasonably better.
>>
Will some mother fucker actually explain how the fucking editing was bad on BVS?
The story flowed perfectly fucking fine when I saw it.
>>
>>81861374

Joss Whedon

:^)
>>
If they continue with the darker somber tone, then Cary Fukunaga (true detective s1, beast of no nation)
>>
>>81866785
>with such major additions as mentioning Janet Van Dyne at all
You now, I'm generally for artists getting to express their vision, and I like Wrights previous work, but the dude screwed around with Ant-Man for so long, couldn't fit his vision to the environment he was working in, then made it so that Whedon couldn't use Pym for Ultron, because he hadn't introduced Pym yet, and after all that, fucked off into the sunset to leave Marvel to try to make a decent movie after he dropped the ball, so fuck that guy.
>>
Bay. You want your patriotic boyscout and some crazy action you get Bay.
>>
>>81868749
Fair point. Let me change that to "entirely" everyone elses's fault.
>>
>>81870779
Destroyah and KG are way overrated IMO, but props for mentioning 85 (super underrated). The perfect death sequence doesn't make up for the rest of the super bloated movie in Destroyah. I'd consider 2014 to be third best, with 1954 and GMK above it. Probably my favorite iteration of a somewhat "heroic" Godzilla.
Resurgence from the little we've seen could take the second highest spot though. I wish we knew some more about the human story, Toho is doing a trash job at marketing it.
>>
>>81871232
But Bay created mecha murderman prime
>>
>>81862303
>Its amazing Fury Road was as good as it was.

You say that like it had potential to NOT be good.

George Miller is literally the best mainstream commercial director working in Hollywood right now.
>>
Literally anyone else that WB has working for them.
>>
>>81867539
>The 2014 design totally missed the point of Godzilla.

And what would that point be? I'm curious.
>>
>>81870828
It was a lot of flashing from one place to another. without much connective tissue to tie the scenes together. Sure the 3 hour cut will fix a lot of that.

But the movie was enjoyable. Can't wait for the Justice League news to start leaking.
>>
>>81868769
this
>>
>>81869036
I think that WB should branch out and go with a second line of animated films focusing on lesser characters, particularly ones that would require a lot of expense to capture on the screen. Metal Men would be great for that, it's simplistic conceptually and the Metal Men themselves hew closer to personality archetypes than fleshed out characters so you can do a lot of setup while spacing out character development across multiple movies without making any one of them look shallow.
>>
>>81871373
>George Miller is literally the best mainstream commercial director working in Hollywood right now.
Nolan would like a word faggot.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.