[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>it's a "DC hires marvel fanboys to write for superman"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 430x383) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 430x383
>it's a "DC hires marvel fanboys to write for superman" comic

Please stop doing this DC .
>>
>>81854799
>having no faith in Tomasi
>>
>>81854799
you can't get people who like superman to write superman because nobody likes superman
>>
well it's not like Waid is ever gonna come back with Harras still around
>>
>>81854934
Landis get the hell out of here
>>
DC and Mahvel are the same shit with the same pool of creators making them. Always has been, always will be. Stop being a corporate shill, OP.
>>
>>81855171
>always has been

The thing is in the 50s 60s 70s the writers weren't fanboys (well Roy Thomas was anyway). They were sci fi /pulp guys.

You can always tell a marvel fanboy writing superman because he'll use darkseid a lot because it's Kirby.
>bbbbbbut darkseid showed up in a jimmy Olsen comic
Yea because Kirby wanted a book that didn't have a writer. It's not like he made darkseid to fight supes.
>>
>>81854799
>WHY ARE THESE WRITERS MAKING MY CHARACTER BETTER
>>
>>81854934

Grant Morrison
>>
>>81855455
>post crisis superman
>better

Go back to bed Byrne
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (26 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
26 KB, 1280x720
>>81854799
>it's Superman stops what he's doing to talk about how killing is bad for hours to an end issue
>>
>>81855748
Byrne Superman is perfect how dare you
>>
>>81857047
Snyder, aren't you supposed to be shitting on a film reel and calling it Justice League?
>>
>>81857264
>Byrne's Superman kills so he must be as dull and uncompelling as Snyder's
>>
>>81857047
>It's a "Clark Kent is the real personality" issue
No thanks
>>
>Not Superman fans write book
Awful Superman book
>Superman fans write book
Max Landis tuns superman into a Edgy fratboy Cool superman of murder
>>
>>81855171
This. This pretty much.
>>
File: tumblr_nthsmo1P2u1qjzyxso1_1280.jpg (217 KB, 639x806) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nthsmo1P2u1qjzyxso1_1280.jpg
217 KB, 639x806
>>81854834
Yeah, no. Too bad Paktion wasn't a little longer.
>>
>>81858993
Superman is Kal, Clark, and Superman all the same time. They are the same fucking guy. It's just who he is
>>
>>81855360
I like you anon. I like you a lot.

I wish so much that Darkseid wasn't constantly the face of the New Gods. There's so much more from Kirby's stuff that could be used.

I want my Forever People damn it!
>>
>>81855081
>Landis
why do people keep saying this

landis is a huge fucking clark fanboy, he loves superman
>>
>>81859426
No

Golden age/silver age/ Bronze Age >>>>>>>>>>marvel lite superman
>>
>>81859521
>landis

Landis is a hipster faggot.

Nobody who would claim to be "clark fanboy" would've written that thing with the burnt arms.
>>
Gene Yuen Yang loved DC comics growing up though. In his Inksuds interview he said that the Giffen/Dematteis Justice League is his ideal superhero comic
>>
>>81859477
The Forever People suck ass. There's a reason they never took off like the rest of the New Gods.

>>81861290
Atrocious taste.
>>
>>81854934
This. And the few people who really like Superman rarely get to write him.
>>
>>81854799
It worked when they brought John Byrne to write him
>>
>>81862474
And Roger Stern
>>
Tom Brevoort here

I trade Dan Slott (who would agree to write Superman titles until he retires) for Tom King.

Y/n?
>>
>>81862153
How much of American Alien have you actually read, anon? It's pretty great. A good, optimistic take on Superman.

I also think the arms thing is justified in context, but I'm not sure you want to hear it.

>hipster faggot

Look, are we here to argue about his hairstyle (which I will not defend) or his feelings toward superman? He did a 15-minute monologue about how Superman is cool because he's really just a good guy from Kansas, rather than a brooding antihero. There is no way in which you can claim he's a fan of edgy superman.
>>
>>81859477
>Darkseid is the main bad guy of a story
>He's defeated by Superman or Batman instead of Orion or Mister Miracle

Fuck fanboys.
>>
>>81863220
>He did a 15-minute monologue

He thinks he understands. But clearly the heat vision arm burning scene proves that ultimately he really doesn't. It's out of tone and actually quite damaging to the mythos.
>>
>>81863522
Why?

Clark, at this time, is maybe 15. He's never been in a fight in his life, let alone stared down a gunman. Someone he knows has been killed, others are threatened, and he's scared as hell. Is it so hard to believe that he might lash out and seriously injure someone? He didn't even mean to take the guy's arms off; from what we see in the scene it's the first time he uses heat vision. What is so unacceptable about that?
>>
>>81859521
I thought nobody liked superman? I'm getting mixed messages from this thread.
>>
>>81863674
People meme about Landis hating superman because they a.) don't like the man, personally, or b.) dislike his writing on the character.

Here's what he has to say on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw_GlYve_Lg
>>
>>81863522
Read the fucking series. Every issue has a different vibe, and story.
>>
'Inspiring symbol of hope' Superman is lame

'old fashioned tough son of a bitch that gets things done' Superman rules

'weird prankster' Superman also rules.
>>
>>81863734
Oh I know, I was saying that in jest because of >>81854934. I already watched the video, it's pretty good.
>>
>>81863850
>hope is lame
I take it you're a Batfag.
>>
>>81863644
I'm tired of the "the only way to learn be a hero is to experience dark shit" meme infesting characters who don't need it.

Supes isn't Batman or Spider-Man.
>>
>>81864656
Nah. Batman's a fag.

He's not even a fag. Fags know what it's like to fight for something and win.

I'm just sick of the Jesus routine.
>>
>>81864855
It's a couple pages in a 7 issue series. Saying it's dark is like saying the whole united states has no power since you didnt pay your bill
>>
>>81854934
Lobdell likes him.
>>
>>81864855
I really do think this is what separates Batman and Superman fans.

Batman fans are like the middle-class Suburbian kid with no real problems so wants to be Emo and all Grim dark.

Superman like him for the hopeful aspect of the character because they got enough of that Grim dark shit in realife.
>>
>>81859389
>Paktion
Literally kill yourself.
>>
>>81857047
It's an abomination plaguing Superman to be better written to this day.
>>
Except Marvel writers have always been the ones to improve DC.
http://comicsalliance.com/dc-comics-marvel-golden-age-silver-age-comics-history/
>>
>>81865798
That couple pages is way too much darkness for any Superman run.

>>81867297
You pretty much nailed it. Writers need to find a way to keep the tone of the characters separate and distinct instead of using every DC comic to pander to the Batfags. I love Bats btw, I just don't think the tone of his mythos should infest the entire DC universe.
>>
>>81854799

I dunno. I think Marvel did a great job writing Superman through their pastiche Hyperion over the last couple years.

I think I like Hyperion better than the character he's based on...
>>
>>81863522
Yeah, I choose to pretend that part never happened and even then the best issue was the most recent but damn did Clark seem like an idiot in that.
>>
>>81867872
Hickman please leave
>>
I kinda want to be Bendis writing Superman
>>
>>81864855
>>81867297
Well said, I couldn't quite put into words what I disliked and why I feel that way there but this is pretty much it.
>>
>>81867513
It's weird how Marvel looks back on the Golden Age fondly when Captain America under Simon and Kirby were really the only good comics, while DC literally erased the era of the best Cap. Marvel and Plastic Man stories out of existence.
>>
>>81864656
Superman wasn't a symbol of hope
he was a tough guy in the golden age
and a weirdo prankster in the silver age
the symbol of hope came out around after the movie

thats another way to tell a marvelfag is writing Superman.
They only know superman from the 1978 movie.

(they will usually reference the film in the some way)

I like the film but its not the final take on the character
>>
>>81868967
>Superman wasn't a symbol of hope
Stopped reading right here. I got the Superman Golden Age Omnibus as a Christmas present from /co/ and know first hand you're full of shit.
>>
>>81869094
try reading it

He wasn't a jesus figure pre-movie.
He was a "symbol of hope" like every single superhero that was out at the time.
>>
>>81869158
So here >>81868967
You're saying he isn't a symbol of hope and in less than 10 minutes you contradicted yourself. Golden age Superman was definitely a symbol of hope. Superman has always been a symbol of hope. I guess you meant to say he wasn't saintly but then again Siegel did that to the character himself, it comes along with this genre and trying to impress on children to do the right thing and adults to be strong and know right from wrong.

If you have problems with Jesus Superman it's because it wasn't done well in film after Superman 2. Not because it's a terrible concept that robs from the character because it supplies a platform to give the character depth. Remember he did give up his powers to be with Lois and then walked from a diner in Idaho to the arctic on foot to save the world. That's the most heroic Superman has ever been on film and that was Jesus Superman.
>>
>>81869395
It was good in the movie
not in the comics, it doesn't work. Its a one trick that can only work once.

Marvelfans only know Superman from the movie.So they play up the jesus angle alot more than the comics did.

if every superhero is a "symbol of hope" than its hardly a term you'd use to describe Superman.
>>
>>81867855
Not him but whatever, you're just being obnoxious and obtuse, opinion discarded.
You don't actually dislike the story, you dislike Max Landis.
>>
>>81854799
DC is just bowing to its superiors.
>>
>>81869524
>You don't actually dislike the story
Not him either but I think the person mentioned really disliking that one part and explained why that was which is understandable. The obtuse one here is you.
>>
People who think Superman didnt have dark moments haven't read more than a few superman stories
>>
>>81862377
I doubt the creators of Superman got it wrong
Clark Kent is superman's disguise
Not the other way around
>>
>>81872379
I disagree. in every good telling Superman is who he is because of Ma & PA Kent. Clark is the Man and Superman is the Job.
>>
>>81867297
This right here is it. This was th reason I loved the Mos trailer more than the Movie itself.
>>
File: 1353450931342.jpg (46 KB, 678x519) Image search: [Google]
1353450931342.jpg
46 KB, 678x519
Do grown men seriously read comics?
>>
>>81874798
Do grown men seriously watch cartoons?
>>
>>81855360
>The thing is in the 50s 60s 70s the writers weren't fanboys (well Roy Thomas was anyway). They were sci fi /pulp guys.

And modern sci-fi is even more politically pushy than modern comics, so be thankful that that's not the case today.
>>
>>81874862
Do grown men seriously browse a Japanese anime imageboard?
>>
File: 1383968038841.jpg (296 KB, 816x1177) Image search: [Google]
1383968038841.jpg
296 KB, 816x1177
>>81854934
Garth Ennis of all people.
>>
>>81856289
>not muh superman!
Suck it, snyderfag.
>>
>>81854799
Who should?
>>
File: superman.jpg (86 KB, 1900x900) Image search: [Google]
superman.jpg
86 KB, 1900x900
Forever aspire to be Superman.
"My Earth parents taught me forgiveness, humanity has a lot to teach us."
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 397x390) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 397x390
>superman can't be sexist
Why do They complain that supes is boring and too perfect and bland but then remove any even moderately negative personality qualities
>>
File: didio hope.jpg (61 KB, 463x450) Image search: [Google]
didio hope.jpg
61 KB, 463x450
>>81854799
>DC hires marvel fanboys to write for superman
>the results are much better than what they wrote for Marvel
Neat.
Nice company war, though.
>>
>>81867297
It is always hilarious how sectarian people get about whose colorful punchman is the highest moral high ground.
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 736x552) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 736x552
>darkseid shows up in one issue of jimmy Olsen 40 years ago
>he's superman biggest bad guy!!!!

Marvel fans pls
>>
>>81863734
That's actually a pretty good speech.
>>
>>81884742
I think some of them might be thinking of STAS. But that's just me.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.