[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you think many other people stopped enjoying comics and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
File: 1370999364447.jpg (77 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1370999364447.jpg
77 KB, 500x500
Why do you think many other people stopped enjoying comics and cartoons as they became older and we didn't? Do you think they suppress that urge to partake because they view these things as socially unacceptable for an adult to enjoy?
>>
>>81844415
Does
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqvUz0HrNKY
answer your question?
>>
>>81844415
once a comic nerd, always a comic nerd. you might not be reading current stuff, but you'll always be a comic geek

i think the difference is, most kids watch cartoons, and gradually drift away from them as they age. In today's world, there are all kinds of cartoons aimed at older kids/adults, so there's much less of a drop off.

Most kids DO NOT read comics nowadays.
>>
>>81844600
I feel like most kids might not even watch cartoons nowadays, just shit on youtube.
>>
>>81844415
An infantile desire to retain ownership of the fleeting feeling of being a child free in the world to do whatever they please rather than a chained-down worker drone living a life that is on a crash course to an oblivion marked only by the fact that they will be forgotten as soon as they die.
>>
>>81844512
I don't care what you say about Synder or the rest of that movie, but the opening of Watchmen was incredible. I don't know if it'll be topped in my lifetime.
>>
>>81844415
Most of what we enjoy is built upon nostalgia and wasn't very good to begin with.
>>
>>81845373
This.
I only started discovering the shit that I really actually enjoy recently.
>>
>>81844415
>they view these things as socially unacceptable for an adult to enjoy
Yes. They fell for the "adulthood" meme.
Everyone knows adults pay taxes and buy clearly-marked adult products. It's just what you do.
>>
File: sheev.jpg (29 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
sheev.jpg
29 KB, 500x500
>>81844415
As someone who is losing interest in cartoons and comics myself, it's mostly because I'm starting to realize how shallow and childish cartoons and comics are. Older comics are largely just ZOOM! KAPOW! shit for five year-olds, newer comics are excruciatingly boring and uncreative, and even /co/'s most beloved cartoons like KFP are completely shallow and trite. Actually fun /co/-related stuff is rare as hens' teeth.
>>
>>81844415
They still come here to complain about recent releases and "sjw ruining comics"
>>
>>81844415
I think the hardcore Marvel/DC fanboys get burned out/feel betrayed when things change and drop comics. I don't feel like that happens to people who read comics for things bedsides seeing their favorite character
>>
>>81844711
DIGGIN' THE GRAVE
I'VE GOT IT MADE
>>
>>81845443
Maybe you're just burnt out. Anything can seem monotonous if you've analysed something long enough to only see the patterns.

Try something different for a year or two, then see if you can approach comics and cartoons with fresh eyes again.
>>
>>81845443
>MUH SHALLOW
What an empty argument.
Most entertainment is shallow and infantile, including some musical and literary classics.
And that doesn't make it bad, not everything has to be super-deep arthouse.
>>
>>81845644
Maybe, I dunno. I'm actually somewhat newer to comics than most of /co/, but everytime I try to get into a new story I usually end up burning out halfway through or being left unsatisified.

>>81845687
It's not just that it's shallow, it's that it's incredibly un-fun to read. Some dude in spandex monologues a bunch, we get a bunch of stale fight scenes between the superteam and a bunch on anonymous goons (Since the named characters can't ever be killed off), and then the main baddie is killed/defeated only to return next issue. It's a dull, murky mess.
>>
>>81845939
>Some dude in spandex

yeah if you're bored you really need to look for comics that couldn't be described as some dude in spandex
>>
I was actively reading up until some 4 or 5 years ago, collecting the series I liked and talking about them here. But I saw comics getting worse and more boring, so I started dropping books. By now, I rarely come to /co/ and I literally only go to the win'o thread when there's a Morrison book out.

These last 2 or 3 years, I also lost interest in vidya. Still buy bundles tho, like the addict I am.

I wish I could say this is me growing up, but I'm 32 now so that would reflect badly on me. Doubly so because I never managed to find any "grown-up" hobbies or activities.

I wish I could take pleasure in something again.
>>
We're broken.
>>
>>81845939
>but everytime I try to get into a new story I usually end up burning out halfway through or being left unsatisified
Oh, I understand.
I feel the same way about all post-00s horror movies.
>>
>>81846128
Yeah, you're probably right. Mebbe I'll get into TMNT. That should be different, and I'm a sucker for martial arts romanticism.

>>81846241
>all post-00s horror movies.
I feel that way about a lot of modern movies, actually. It seems like everybody's trying to be Tarantino, Whedon, or JJ Abrams.
>>
y'know, I've noticed something.
alot of people on /co/, no, on 4chan, seem to be really sad/depressed people. why the fuck is that? why are all you faggots such sad sacks?
>>
>>81845373
The fact that most cartoons that you watched as a kid is a hard pill for most of /co/ to swallow. People bring out shows the liked as a kid and when asked why they liked it they literally can't answer.
>>81846886
Because /co/ of all boards tried to keep the wide eyes of children into adult hood but thanks to them we saw just how shit the world is.
Also we constantly see our favorite characters and comics raped on a daily basis so there is also that.
Also /mlp/ broke our spirit
>>
>>81847193
>People bring out shows the liked as a kid and when asked why they liked it they literally can't answer
That literally never happened.
>>
>>81844415
Because you were supposed to get interested in other things when you got to high school.
>>
>>81848129
>YOU CAN ONLY BE INTERESTED IN ONE KIND OF STUFF
This is the most retarded post ITT.
>>
It happened to me with video games. Comics are a much broader medium so I don't really get tired of it.
>>
Well most people don't grow out of comics they grow into them. The majority of readers are adults. I haven't watched a cartoon aimed at children since Avatar finished
>>
>>81844415

They only had a passing interest in it, we didn't. We liked it more than that. The things they were really interested in as children stayed with them.
>>
>>81848252
Yeah video games were my main hobby as a kid up to first year of college. Then AAA fatigue set in hard. Still play indie stuff
>>
File: image.jpg (630 KB, 1074x1650) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
630 KB, 1074x1650
These days more people grow into comics than grow out of them.
>>
>>81845939
Why don't you take a break from capes hit comics?
>>
>>81848396
Yeah I didn't really get into comics until high school when I started driving. Went to a comic shop just out of curiosity since I was the generation that stopped seeing comics in grocery stores.
>>
>>81848361
>playing LE QUIRKY PIXELSHIT
Kek
Indie games are as bad as AAA.
The last good game was Alpha Protocol and even that is really flawed.
>>
>>81846154
I lost interest in vidya too, it was nothing gradual, it just happened, and it was pretty sad because I remember how much I enjoyed them but now I can't even play Skyrim for more than 10 minutes without getting annoyed, and used to spend hours a day on it and other games... life is... kinda sad sometimes...
>>
File: 1460263909276.jpg (41 KB, 1033x679) Image search: [Google]
1460263909276.jpg
41 KB, 1033x679
>>81848496
>The last good game was Alpha Protocol and even that is really flawed.
>>
>>81846886
Because a certain type of person comes here, and they tend to be self-loathing.
>>
>>81848496
Aperson who doesn't play video games should not be voicing their opinions about them.
>>
>>81844415
I imagine that many of them got interested in girls, sports and other, more social, after-school activities.
>>
>>81844706
In the modern age, it's not that the younger generation doesn't read comic books, it's that they simply don't have to.

Want to get caught up on literally everything the Guardians of the Galaxy or Teen Titans or Spiderman is, was, and has ever done? Wikipedia. Bam, instant expert.
>>
>>81852159
Well you could say the same about video games or anime or manga but people do play, watch and read those.

A complaint I've heard a few times is that comic book characters on one hand have many decades of complicated history but also keep resetting and fucking around with their continuities, so it's really hard to get into them.
>>
>>81852105
those idiots
>>
File: 1450122564835.jpg (317 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1450122564835.jpg
317 KB, 500x750
I admit I come to this board, but I don't buy comics. I keep tabs on a few personal favorites, but these days I'm more invested emotionally in manga.

Manga tends to allow itself to be be fantastical while also being internally consistent. If you can pull a sword out of your anus at will, that's now a thing. It's not going to be ignored for the sake of plot convenience or retconed later. Which is a shame because I do enjoy the themes inherent in capes more than anything else, but the cesspool isn't worth wading through anymore.

Of course Manga also ends. Any effort to make American comics is internally consistent is likely doomed to failure because a "forever story" is not sustainable.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (38 KB, 366x488) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
38 KB, 366x488
>>81844415

I'm going to tell you all this: there's no energy in comics right now, and there probably won't ever be again. Unfortunately the same is true for movies, music, anime, etc.

ALL the energy is in social media at the moment, and these dead mediums are just used as an excuse to post online, you hijack something "interesting" to make yourself seem "interesting" within a social context.

This is the way it's always been, it's just that you can now cut out the middleman.
>>
I don't think I know a single person who has read comics and stopped reading comics.
>>
>>81853570
Why don't you just read western comics that aren't capeshit?
>>
>>81854102
Because I like capeshit and manga has capeshit without the capes.
>>
>>81844415
I think it's just a generational thing. I still like most of the same cartoons I watched as a kid, but about the time when I was 11 I thought the newer cartoons were shit and the cartoons I liked either had shitty new episodes or were canceled so I just stopped watching them. I assumed most people were the same. As for comics, I didnt get into them until I was an adult
>>
>>81846154
you sound depressed anon
>>
>>81844415
According to market research conducted by DC, most comic book buyers just a few years back were average 45 years old, white, married, earning over $50k annually (placing them above the US mean household income), have a couple of kids, were men. Probably overweight bordering on obese, too.

Since there's been no collapse in sales in the past couple of years and no massive growth either, one of two things has happened: either basically the same people are still the overwhelming majority of buyers, or they've gone in whole or in part to be replaced by new readers. The problem with that second notion is that it has no real mechanism to propagate it; we're talking about probably 500,000 buyers at most in the entire US once you factor in the above-average pull lists, but if you could get 500,000 new readers they a) wouldn't basically be buying the same things as 5 years ago and b) would probably be a larger number, resulting in a much expanded market overall, as they'd be primarily coming from tv and movie audiences.

So for DC comics at least the average reader is a 45 year old white breadwinner trying to pretend he's living in the world he thought his parents inhabited growing up. Of course, the collapse in DC's sales - without the commensurate collapse in Marvel's - is harder to explain, so it's possible Marvel is getting genuinely new readers through changing up their line and DC is just losing old readers, who look around and leave the market - but again, you'd expect up to a couple of million new readers in the market if that were the case. What's probably happening is that middle-aged men are just as susceptible to the desire to be cool as anybody else, and are abandoning DC because of its perceived shittiness both in print and other media.
>>
>>81846154
Get real good at yoga and you can blow yourself.
>>
Probably because they don't branch out of whatever they read younger like they do with other media. Like they read superhero comics as a kid but then lose interest and don't try something like Love and Rockets, Joe Sacco or whatever and they stop altogether.
>>
>>81852687
>>81852159
Please understand there's a difference between comics and big-two superheroes. PLEASE understand that. Those are not reasons as to why people wouldn't partake in the medium of sequential art narratives in total.
>>
>>81856631
This is ignoring trades and focusing just on floppies. Good analysis, but too limited to be useful.
>>
>>81856631
>by DC, most comic book buyers just a few years back were average 45 years old, white, married, earning over $50k annually (placing them above the US mean household income), have a couple of kids, were men. Probably overweight bordering on obese, too.

This sounds like its describing the trade paperback/omnibus market mostly and not the weekly floppy buyers.
>>
>>81854102
Most non-capeshit comics are usually awful lolsorandom shit like "Zombies vs Steampunk Ninjas" or something retarded like that.
>>
>>81860929
You are only betraying your extremely narrow horizons.
>>
>>81849551
And you don't even know if it's because you "outgrew" it, or if it could happen to just any other hobby.

>>81854912
Bingo.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.