[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Deathstroke
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: deathstroke.jpg (57 KB, 300x306) Image search: [Google]
deathstroke.jpg
57 KB, 300x306
What's the appeal with this guy again?
>>
He has a love/hate relationship with teenage superheroes.
>>
>>81830796
Old school version was pretty much "evil" Captain America.

>buccaneer boots
>scale armor
>specialized weapon(bo staff)
>>
He is Dc's Boba Fett.
>>
>total badass
>can solo the Justice League single-handedly
>stuck it to Trigon
>fucks around with Green Arow just cuz
>is the best character in the Injustice game
>>
why did you post a pic of Deadpool?
>>
>>81831034
That's nothing to be take pride in.
>>
>>81830796

This was during the edgy period of comics

you have to understand, things were different then
>>
>>81830796
He fucks teenage girls.
>>
>>81831000
This. Evil Cap.
Cap had a kid sidekick who sacrificed himself trying to save him.
Deathstroke had a kid sidekick who killed herself trying to kill him. Also, his fucked up relationship with his sons.

Also, he's super badass and watching Changeling mature and come to terms with Deathstroke and Terra's craziness was a high point in the post-Perez NTT.

Also his frenemy relationship with Nightwing has been pretty great over the years.

None of those things exist anymore. I don't know why people like current Deathstroke. His series is buns.
>>
>>81831152
And boys wonder
>>
>>81831133
Mysterious cool looking as fuck ultimate badass? Sure it is.
>>
>>81831176
>coming to terms with a pedophile
>coming to terms with a pedophile who was trying to kill you and your friends
The dumbest thing.
>>
>>81830796
As a hero? I don't know.
As a villain his highly professional mercenary nature and useful combination of superpowers means he's almost universally usable as a villain for any DC hero except for the most powerful ones; he's JUST physically powerful enough to survive fights with them and uses his superhuman reflexes and agility to make himself hard to put down, but more importantly his enhanced brain makes him a excellent planner which allows him to maximize his strengths, akin to a sort of evil powered Batman in some ways.

He's usually not a very useful MAIN villain though I think because that same highly mercenary nature makes it difficult for anyone to justify him holding long-term grudges without resorting using shitty writing shortcuts.
Only heroes that he's had actual relationships with beyond "we fought once for a job" such as Nightwing or the Titans does he make a halfway decent recurring main foe.
>>
>>81830796
Was supposed to be a villain who could go toe to toe with the heroes even without super powers due to sheer cunning.

Actual characterization has been mixed for a while since though. Now he seems to be on the higher end of a "normal" fighter, and he's more morally ambiguous due to his mercenary nature.
>>
>>81831365
>Was supposed to be a villain who could go toe to toe with the heroes even without super powers due to sheer cunning

He had superpowers, fairly significant ones too.
You're right about the cunning part at least; his powers put him more around Spider-Man foe level and he sort of made up for it by being REALLY clever in how he applied them and by choosing his fights carefully.
>>
>>81830796
He's hot
>>
File: 20140418-220313-e1397873171731.jpg (59 KB, 1024x573) Image search: [Google]
20140418-220313-e1397873171731.jpg
59 KB, 1024x573
>>81830796
I dont know. He sucks. He even got his ass kicked by robin.
>>
>>81830796
He's a DILF
>>
>>81831451
>He had superpowers, fairly significant ones too
Must have slipped my mind then, to be fair it's been a pretty long time since I read his earlier appearances.

How about his backstory? I recall it being somewhat inconsistent on whether or not he was sympathetic or not over the years.
>>
>>81831176
>Also his frenemy relationship with Nightwing has been pretty great over the years.

As far as I'm concerned Deathstroke is basically Nightwing's primary nemesis. Deathstroke's biggest storyline is also the storyline where Dick becomes Nightwing for the first time and though they're frenemies they still generally hold an adversarial relationship towards each other.
Slade is WAY more powerful then Nightwing but Dick can outsmart Slade so that he doesn't have to just punch his problems away....assuming the writer isn't horseshit and is willing to write intelligent characters using their intelligence that is.
>>
>>81831176
>None of those things exist anymore

Why does being a fan involve so much suffering?
>>
>>81830796
Him and his family used to be great and interesting characters.
>>
>>81831776
Because you're all scum.
>>
File: 1456939261008.jpg (108 KB, 595x842) Image search: [Google]
1456939261008.jpg
108 KB, 595x842
>>81831573
My nigga.
>>
>>81830796
He's funny by being meta. His new movie did really well, I liked it. Ryan Reynolds nailed the character.
>>
>>81831666
>Must have slipped my mind then, to be fair it's been a pretty long time since I read his earlier appearances.

He's kind of low-tier for a DC character, especially sonde DC tends to hand out huge super strength, durability and flight like candy along with any other superpowers.
You are fully correct that his real asset is his enhanced intelligence; it's that trait and his extensive tactical and combat experience that makes him REALLY dangerous.

>How about his backstory? I recall it being somewhat inconsistent on whether or not he was sympathetic or not over the years.
His backstory is relatively consistent (and originally even have exact wars which he was a part of when he was younger), but weather it's sympathetic or not is entirely subjective. There's SOME tragedy in his life, but in some cases said tragedy was either partially his fault (his first son's death) or entirely his fault (Rose leaving him).

He can be a protagonist, but Wolfman was always careful to NOT portray him as an actual hero; he's a mercenary and while he often (and prefers) takes contracts to killing bad people (he originally REFUSED the contract on the Titans) he'll also take morally ambiguous contracts that a proper superhero wouldn't touch.
In some ways he's sort of a pulp adventurer protagonist given superpowers; fortune and adventure are what he likes (especially adventure as he's a huge adrenaline junkie), and ultimately his morals are very flexible. He's got a professional code of conduct that he follows but it is not a MORAL code of conduct at all, which puts him in conflict with superheroes whenever they cross paths.

I imagine Slade actually does most of his work in shady areas of the globe assassinating folks he decides "deserve it" and fighting in guerilla wars as a hired soldier because he sympathizes with one side or another, but ALWAYS for pay.
>>
>>81831000
More like Taskmaster rip-off disguised as evil Captain America
>>
>>81832044
Honestly, I think Tasky is much more professional then Deathstroke is by far.
Taskmaster definitely prefers to avoid superhero nonsense and just hired himself out as a trainer and specialized hand or security guy rather then go on extebded grudge fights against heroes.
Tasky also NEVER takes anything personally and treats what he does like his job, and thus doesn't get involved in pointless revenge cycles or grudge fights and knows when to just bail on something because it's not worth sticking with anymore.

Slade's pride often gets in the way of his judgement, especially when it comes to refusing certain contracts or just dropping them when he knows he should.
>>
>>81831639
That one is name only.
>>
>>81831100
>>can solo the Justice League single-handedly
Alright, call me a power wanking faggot, but that was fucking bullshit.
>>
Deathstroke is just a bitch. He's a thug for hire in my opinion.
Teen Titans would get this one-eyed joe any day of the week.
>>
File: dickstroke.jpg (41 KB, 500x291) Image search: [Google]
dickstroke.jpg
41 KB, 500x291
>>81830796
Being Dick's daddy.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.