[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will this always be the shining example of an occult comic book
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: The Crow Fire Bird.jpg (120 KB, 658x370) Image search: [Google]
The Crow Fire Bird.jpg
120 KB, 658x370
Will this always be the shining example of an occult comic book hero done right in film?

Spawn is fun for nostalgia but ultimately a half assed film, of course Blade holds up as a pretty good film, the Ghost Rider movies are the example of how NOT to do this kind of movie, and in this day and age I really just don't see this kind of stuff flying for mass audiences, it's just a different time...so is this the best we'll likely ever see?
>>
>>81818562
What was wrong with the ghost rider movies I never read any ghost rider stuff but the movies seemed OK.
>>
Constantine gets a lot of shit, but I still liked it. Honestly though it would have been twice as good if they kept the original ending.
>>
>>81818601
What was the original?
>>
>>81818663
John visits Chaz's grave and sets his lighter on top of the head stone. He turns his back and hears a flutter. John then turns around to see Chaz is now an angel and he takes his lighter and jumps into the sky.

That ending would have gave Chaz's death meaning. In the DVD ending chaz dying meant nothing.
>>
>>81818599
>>81818601
Constantine was good but missed a lot of the points of hellblazer.
Ghost Rider doesn't deserve the shit it gets but it was not good.

>>81818562
Yes, I doubt it will ever be beat. It was nearly flawless and Brandons death sealed the deal on this being one of the most memorable movies of all time
>>
>>81818562
Hellboy op
>>
>>81818697
Meh. Chas sucked in that show. Thry turned him into a kid who wanted to get into magic instead of the reluctant friend. TV show had a far better Chas
>>
File: blackheart-intro.gif (150 KB, 148x202) Image search: [Google]
blackheart-intro.gif
150 KB, 148x202
>>81818711
For me the Rider movies just had too much blatant sillyness for me to actually care about what was going on

Like you have this set up for a great gothic atmosphere full of religious lore and demons and hellfire and such, but you mix it with Nick Cage watching kung fu apes and pissing streams of fire and it just kinda turns it all into fodder for a 13 year old boy's fantasies, WHICH has it's place....I'm sure if I saw those movies as a kid I'd think they were totally bitchin'

Also, it probably wasn't till like my third or fourth viewing of the movie that I even pieced it together that emo mc'edward was supposed to be Blackheart, despite them calling him that by name
>>
>>81818601
the most redeeming thing about it was Stormare as Lucifer, and despite this travesty, his performance was simply perfect
>>
>>81818562
Crow hit all of the right spots that the likes of Spawn just couldn't get. The hero was scary yet sympathetic, the villain was fun yet intimidating, the atmosphere felt like a comic without going overboard, the side characters were useful without being obnoxious, and the soundtrack didn't go overboard. It was almost a miracle of the 90s in that it was a superhero movie that did everything right.

Blade was the other exemption, but Blade went the smart route and went full on action flick and deviated heavy from the source material (Blade is one of the rare times it worked).
>>
>kaw kaw bang fuck I'm dead
>>
>>81822667
Heh, all his lines were great
>>
>>81818739
Oh no doubt it had a better chaz, even though the chas in the show still wasn't as reluctant as the comics.

My point was the original ending was better because it made sense.
>>
>>81818562
>Spawn is fun for nostalgia but ultimately a half assed film
Considering the budget they had and the ambition of what they went for, I think they worked pretty hard to squeeze the best possible flick out of it. It doesn't feel half-assed, it feels like a cult movie that went to the financial limits to try and make itself good.
>>
>>81818562
Had a really strong soundtrack and visual style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj-9-3f0kr8

I'd kill to see a Batman film with visuals this strong.
>>
>>81818562
>and in this day and age I really just don't see this kind of stuff flying for mass audiences
Times change, we're in a false wholesome time with moralfags trying to push their shit on people, a strong push for inclusion, esoteric feelgood bullshit and infantilization of the people. Pretty much the late 70's all over.
All it takes is one "collective" mistake and the kids will remembet they are alone, bringing goth themes back dressed on whatever is edgy at the time.

Fashion is a cycle.
>>
I can't stand The Crow.

I mean, I loved it when it came out, but nowadays it's too edgy for me. It takes itself way too serious, and no it is NOT campy on purpose. Back then they actually thought that type of thing was "cool".
>>
>>81825894
you sound like a manchild.
>>
>>81825573

That's a pretty limited view of cultural history you have there, bruh.
>>
>>81825894
>nah my edginess
Grow up. Edginess isnt bad it just has to be done well. The Crow had passion, you really felt for the character and the tragedy he went through
>>
>>81825920

Because I dislike a cult classic?

It's not my fault the movie didn't age well.
>>
>>81826035
Because your reasons for disliking it is "it's too violent, it needs to be campy and quipy, not VIOLENT OMG SHELTER ME!"
>>
>>81826010

Dark and contrarian aren't always bad, Edgy is literally used in the context of it being done badly and in an adolescent manner.

>>81826115

Haha, wow, you just pulled all of that right out of your ass. My problem with The Crow is LITERALLY that it is campy as fuck. The violence and dialogue are super exagerated, and it's quipy as fuck, what are you talking about? Did you even watch the movie recently, or are you just talking from memory? Because I loved the movie, watched all the time when I was a kid, and had memories of it being this dark and personal revenge story, but then I watched it a couple weeks ago, and it's some 90s Image Comics shit.
It was fine for what it was back then, but god did it age terribly.
>>
>>81826228
This thread is proof that the majority dissagree with you
>>
>>81826336

>two guys
>majority

Ok. And who gives a fuck? I'm stating a fact, I'm just stating my opinion, that I thought the movie aged poorly and I can't stand it nowadays.

OP asked if it was a good example of comic film done right and I stated my opinion.
>>
>>81826399

I'm NOT* stating a fact
>>
what about birdman huh that was a good movie
>>
File: darkcitydc_2068.jpg (100 KB, 1600x678) Image search: [Google]
darkcitydc_2068.jpg
100 KB, 1600x678
>>81818562
I want to visit the Earth where Alex Proyas replaced Tim Burton as the Batman director, instead of Schumacher.
>>
>>81818697
That's still in the movie. It's just after the credits.
>>
God this movie was great, about time for another viewing I think. Perfectly captured a particular moment in time.
>>
>>81826228
It's not really campy at all. The crow is made to have an insane banter, mixed with real torment, ptsd of his death. The only campy moments are maybe from speed head villain. But that's just what people on speed act like. The rest is pretty fucking dark. It is set in the 90s, very much from dress to dialogue. But it's not in their control to guess how fashion and lexicon will change over time. Since it's not a time travel movie or a set piece from 1800s. It's harder to be contemporary forever. But it holds up quite well. Considering movies like hackers, now that is camp.

You sound jaded as fuck trying to say it's full of quips. That's called dialogue, having a personality and not just dry words is good acting and script, not lol quip machine.
>>
>>81826228

name one 'quippy' moment that doesn't fall well within character
>>
>>81822045
I totally agree with this anon.

I especially liked how you compared the original Crow and Blade films. Both movies took wildly different approaches to the idea of adaptation—the former was very faithful to the comic while the latter was only nominally connected to the source material—but both found critical approval (for the most part) and commercial success. Which underlines the point that it's really all about technical execution: A successful "comic book movie" (success here being measured by its audience reception and lasting reputation) has to be a good movie first and foremost.
>>
>>81821921
The movie was great it just was nothing like hellblazer comic. But if it was an original creation it would have been the shit. I think everyone did a great job in the movie with the script they had. But it was no comic hellblazer.
>>
>>81825894
Where you like 2 when it came out?
>>
Another thing I love about this movie is how well it carries off the main character being formidable as hell without resorting to constant 'slomo backflipping ninja' stuff. Like what is his big moment in the main action scene, he pretends to be dead under a table for a couple of seconds then pops up again? I miss when action movies could be that restrained.
>>
>>81818601
It would have been a good movie if they literally just made up OC names for all the characters/if you know nothing about Hellblazer
>>
>>81827141
Dude don't be stupid, Dirty Harry's badass scene is walking up to a group of bank robbers and blowing them all away
Martin Riggs does a bust and suicidally takes out all but 1 of the drug dealers, then begs his partners to shoot the guy at his own peril
Jackie Chan's moment in Rush Hour is taking out an entire bar in no trabble mode after mistakenly calling a black guy a nigger
Action movies have never been about restraint, you're just a contrarian
>>
>>81827575

If you can't see what the Matrix movies/wushu did to action choreography I can't help you m8
>>
>>81826974
They both respected the source material though. You can change the story and a lot of aspects of the comic as long as you respect the character
>>
>>81825894
Queer.
>>
>>81825930
And where can I learn more? Tumblr?
>>
>>81826228
It really inst quippy at all. People in the 90's had their own voices and a lot of contemporary movies show that. It seems strange to today's ironically homogenized "diverse" culture, but at the time having an identity defined by your actions and words rather than whatever labels you type on social media sites, wasn't something to be ashamed of.
>>
>>81827575
He;s right, after the Matrix every movie had stupid slomo pseudo martial arts stuff

If action is good, it doesn't need to be overblown and have every movement slowed down and dragged out, you get the point just fine
>>
>>81827575
And all of them carried serious consequences for the rest of the movie.
Nowadays ScarJo wrecks a whole army without messing her hairdo.
>>
>>81818562
I love the Crow. I watch it every Halloween with American Werewolf in Paris.
>>
>>81827141
>>81827575
I mean, surely it's dependent on the character?

Batman had a restrained fighting style in the Nolan films and I think that was to their detriment.
>>
>>81828544

Well Nolan can't direct action for shit either way but I don't think they would have been improved by batman running up walls in slow motion to the sound of generic techno
>>
>>81827718
I can disagree that the choreography and vfx are different but you don't need restraint in storytelling and action style to make a more classical straightforward action film. Your complaints have nothing to do with storytelling and everything to do with post production
>>
>>81824656
I just feel like the HBO series was so much better at capturing the character
>>
>>81826711
I want to visit the Earth where Tim Burton replaced Zack Snider as the Watchmen director.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.