[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Watched BvS last night, 2d screening, very low expectations,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
Watched BvS last night, 2d screening, very low expectations, also unspoiled (I thought Batman was going to die for some reason).

It really isn't bad, quite good in fact.

Good:

>Affleck
>Cinematography
>Soundtrack
>Humour was just the right amount considering the general tone
>I enjoyed the jumping around, no-handholding narrative structure, reminded me of the structure of some comics (injustice comes to mind)
>Small scale fights were well done, larger ones less so

Bad:

>Forcing in justice league stuff (esp. Metahumans database)
>Luthor was terribly written, I don't think Eisenberg did awful considering the job he was given, it's just that the job was a terrible mistake in the first place.
>Doomsday shovelled in
>Irons did well but was a miscast
>Christ imagery was hamfisted
>Overuse of dream sequences

Thought it was a good film marred by a poorly written villain. Comparing it to the MCU is a strange one; as a standalone film it's a case of apples and oranges, but the hamfisted justice league stuff framed it as a competitor and an inferior one in terms of what the MCU films accomplish. I also understand why it wasnt so well liked by normal folks - it felt like a film that had had 2 prequels, I think a basic understanding of the oldman bruce archetype was necessary to enjoy the film.

Tl;dr - good film, just a shame that it had to have the genesis of the Justice League forced into it, along with poorly written bad guys.
>>
>>81777459
Let me ask you: who do you think started the fight? I said Superman definitely did, because he confronted Batman and threatened him. My brother said Batman did because he was gathering weapons to kill Supes. I say he was only doing so as a precaution until Supes forced his hand. What do you think?
>>
>>81777459
>>Cinematography
What was good about the cinematography?
>>
Can you fuckers stop posting your reviews. You're really late. And everything you posted has been discussed to death.
>>
>>81777459
>>I enjoyed the jumping around, no-handholding narrative structure, reminded me of the structure of some comics (injustice comes to mind)

in media res

and it's shit
>>
File: TFW.gif (1 MB, 350x272) Image search: [Google]
TFW.gif
1 MB, 350x272
>>81777459
I saw it about a week ago with some friends, and we were in stitches the whole time. It was just so hilariously bad. We did, however, enjoy Batman murdering people in the warehouse.
>>
>>81777459
>>Irons did well but was a miscast
I strongly like the film too, but... yeah no he was perfect casting.
>>
>>81777541

I admit I use that as a catch-all: The shot choices and tracking on the batmobile and fight sequences were particularly good, also the sequence with the sex trafficked women was fantastic such as the use of DoF. Admittedly it wasn't oscar material shot composition or anything like that, and most scenes were just average, but there was some great work in there that I didn't expect from a film intended to kick off an EU series.

>>81777514

Luthor. Bats is gonna Bats and Supes is gonna Supes, but Luthor started the fight. Unfortunately.

>>81777617

>All in media res is shit

Come on now. All I'm saying is that it was enjoyable and a nice contrast to usual superhero films. It wasn't difficult to follow.
>>
>>81777459
BvS is not bad, just really average.
>>
Son, I came back from the dead to tell you that being a hero only results in animal murder.
>>
>>81778101
It was to tell him that even though he may try his best to save people, there may be times he can't save every one. But okay, be an autist
>>
>>81778101
I dunno who approved "I can still hear them wailing in my sleep", but whoever did needs to be shot at sunrise.
>>
>>81777459

I by and large agree with you, but one of the things that just absolutely killed the movie for me was the truly awful writing.

I'm not just talking about the obvious plot holes and fuckups, like the fact that Lex Luthor's plan is really, really stupid. Or the fact that the Courthouse scene and everything that leads up to it DOES NOT MATTER to the movie in ANY WAY and is basically just filler that lets us know that Lex is a bad guy who really hates Superman because (militant atheist/daddy issues/??? pick whichever one you want most, the movie sure as hell couldn't make up its mind).

The thing that just ground my gears into dust was the dialog. I'm not sure how many of you notice, but it is absolutely unforgiveable how the dialog in this movie was written. There was so much emphasis placed on 'big, dramatic lines' that they don't actually function in any sort of context.

First you have fucking monologues and soliloquies masquerading as dialog. This happens a bunch. Play a game with BvS, and take one of the dialog based scenes in the movie and then imagine those characters in their own room talking into a tape recorder instead of to another person. You'll find a bunch of times when doing so doesn't change the scene in any fucking way. The scene where Lex talks about the painting to the senator was especially guilty of this, where after the introductions he basically just stops responding to anything she says at all and is just talking to himself about his backstory and motivations, meanwhile she is trying to carry one a totally different conversation by herself.

This happens a bunch of times, especially with Lex.
>>
>>81778441

Other times you have the Big Dramatic Lines get forced into a conversation and not just not having it be relevant based on the rest of the scene up until that point, but actively countering everything they just talked about.

> Clark talks with Lois about that time that he used his powers as superman to save her from harm
> "I'm not sure that you are capavle of being both in love with me and being Superman"

The fuck? The entire previous conversation was about you doing both of those things at the same time. With consequences, sure, but don't make it sound like superman is some guy who has to choose between his wife and his career. Regardless of what emotional subplot this was supposed to lead into, it doesn't matter because this never comes up again the rest of the movie. Its just a big, stupid dramatic line for the sake of ending the scene with a big stupid dramatic line.

And then you have the big stupid dramatic lines that are only in the movie so they could be in the trailer. Like the party scene where Lex is 'introducing' Clark and Bruce. In the trailer it seems like he already knows both of their identities, but in the movie he doesn't know either of those things yet which just makes the whole exchange really stupid and inane. Why is a multibillionare so fucking excited about a junior reporter at a failing newspaper talking to one of the other richest men in the city? Its Bruce fuckin Wayne, getting flagged down by reporters has to happen to him more often than his bowel movements.

Or the 'I thought she was with you?' joke about Wonder Woman. Gad damnit Bruce, she IS with you. You have been working together for half the movie. You traded emails. Come on.
>>
>>81778300
Yes, I'm the problem, and not the horribly written father figure that thought his son should've let a bus full of kids drown.
>>
>>81778300
More like it made Clark feel even worse. And pretty much told him he was going to fuck anything he tries to do.
Pa Kent of Smallville would never say something like that
>>
>>81778101

So what actually was up with that scene? Where and when does this take place?

Because if this was just ghostdad, why was Clarke dressed like a mountain climber/hobo? There was no reason for him to be up on a mountain in the current timeframe, and even if he was he would just be zipping around as superman.

Is this a flashback to Clarke's time as the migrant of steel? If so, is this a flashback to a hallucination that Clarke had years ago?

Or is this just another fucking dream?

Does this scene make any kind of narrative sense to anyone? Or am I just crazy?
>>
>>81779067
It's a allegory for that moment in Jesus life when he goes to a garden to talk to God or some shit
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.