[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Director's Cut
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 18
File: delbvs.jpg (131 KB, 1362x843) Image search: [Google]
delbvs.jpg
131 KB, 1362x843
>30 Extra Minutes
>Clark Kent actually being a Journalist - Investigating Batman in Gotham and interrogating his victims in Gotham Jail, explaining his dislike of Batman
> Lois Lane actually being a Journalist, investigating Lex Luthor and Wallace Keefe on her own.
> Africa sequence totally different, with proper introduction (scene from trailers with riders on horses) and clearer picture of what happened
>Jena Malone as Barbara Gordon, possibly in Gotham during Clarks investigations
>More Alfred, scene with him by his trailer on the Wayne compound
>More intense action which got an R rating spread across all action scenes.
>Clark Looking for his mom after he returns from the mountains before he goes to Metropolis to catch Lois
> Lex Luthor Communion scene
>All that still not close to filling up 30 minutes

Will you give Batman v Superman a second look with the Director's Cut?
>>
>>81765035
Hell no, I had a hard enough time sitting through it, I don't want it to be even longer.
>>
>>81765035
Eh.
>>
Don't really care about any of that except to see what they do with Barbara. If it had some cut songs, we might be talking.
>>
>>81765035
Batman v Superman was the second chance. WB/DC puts out a good movie it'll be a huge surprise, then I'll go see it.
>>
>>81765035
>(scene from trailers with riders on horses)

Thought those were fucking Amazons on Themyscira.

I'll watch it but I won't pay for it.
>>
>>81765035
It was already way too long, so no
>>
I don't want to watch a three and a half hour movie.
>>
I'm down
>mfw it doesn't change the fact that the movie's bad
>;_;
>>
>30 Extra Minutes
I'll pass. The movie is long and boring enough as it is.
>>
>>81765035
You knows if it play out like that then WB literally have more reason to kick Snyder out. I means dude just cut all the important stuff out for shitty 'cool' moment which proved that he's a shitty director.
>>
No, because /co/ said I shouldn't.

Technically, though, it will be the first chance since I haven't seen it yet.
>>
>>81765035
No! Give me the 4 hours cut Snyder!!!!

I need my Kino! i need it! i don't want a pleb tier 3 hour cut!
>>
Well it obviously won't change the characterisation of Superman or Batman, however I'm sure it will make a more cohesive whole, so probably.
>>
>>81765837
WB needed a shorter movie.
>>
>>81765837
>implying WB didn't demand the cuts
>>
>>81765035
>Will you give Batman v Superman a second look with the Director's Cut?
Maybe if they gave me a discount for having seen the movie in the theater. Ass move to charge people twice just to get an acceptable movie.
>>
>>81765928
My guess it that it will fix the PACE
>>
>>81765035
Man I would rather wait for a fan edit to make all this flow a lot better.
>>
>>81765988
Audiences and critics didn't like the movie because they didn't understand the plot and what was happening. They don't need a longer or shorter movie, they needed a different one completely.
>>
I will give it a chance. Most movies with an extended cut don't really improve the movie except Scott Ridley's Kingdom of Heaven. But that was a miracle.
>>
>>81766450
While I think BvS is shit, I still don't get all these 'it's hard to understand' complaint, is it really that hard to get?

You know, I don't even read DC but I get the movie just fine. For me, the real problem about this movie are the pace and the edit.
>>
Nope. The less money it gets the faster the DCEU will collapse and fail, hopefully clearing the way for something good to be made with these characters in the future.

If you are a fan of DC or comics, you should do what you can to hasten this.
>>
>>81766489
Watchmen did improve a lot. And for a lot of people (the kind that actually paid attention to the movie) the editing was terrible.
>>
File: 1450135304492.jpg (42 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
1450135304492.jpg
42 KB, 500x334
>>81765035
Sure. If that added half hour means I get a properly edited movie this time, I would be glad to give it another go. Plus, I'm up for more Batfleck.

Might wait for the torrent, though.
>>
>>81765914
It makes me wonder what the extra hour would be about.
>>
>>81766961
More time for Supes to mope about being Supes and Bats to kill people.
>>
>>81766752
>I still don't get all these 'it's hard to understand' complaint
Many normies came out of the film thinking batman and superman are brothers.
>>
>>81766752
This. It wasn't terrible. it had a lot of potential. The pacing was the only thing I legitimately had a problem with.
>>
>>81766961
Movie is 3 hours, anything beyond that is additional footage shot to ensure continuity between scenes. Most movies always have upwards of an hour of just scene intros and outros, etc, cut as most directors will always overshoot to cover their ass.
>>
http://www.provideocoalition.com/art-cut-batman-v-superman-editor-david-brenner/

Read this and you'll know why the movie felt disjointed and without focus. It got edited to hell to make it 2.5 hours that WB wanted.
>>
>>81767278
>Movie is 3 hours, anything beyond that is additional footage shot to ensure continuity between scenes. Most movies always have upwards of an hour of just scene intros and outros, etc, cut as most directors will always overshoot to cover their ass.

An d this is the kind of movie that needed that
>>
>>81767614
Watchmen had extensions like this in the Director's Cut, Im sure this will have some as well.
>>
>>81767374
>TLDR
The plot lines didn't seem related until Lex Luthor was introduced and the white Portuguese question was resolved as it tied the characters together. This was planned to happen later in the film, but in editing they realized they had to bring it all forward. Lex wasn't even supposed to be introduced until late in the movie, so all his act 1 stuff is hamfisted.

After the cut it was 3.5 hours, that is what they felt good with. They knocked another hour off of that.
>>
>>81765035
I paid for a ticket. I was disappointed with what I saw. I'm not going to pay for a second ticket just because it "might be better" this time around.
>>
I'm willing to take a look at it. Still sucks that this is my least favorite interpretation of Superman. But, if it cleans up the shitty editing that is enough of a selling point.
>>
>>81767374
Are you kidding?

>BRENNER: ...So what was once a nearly four hour cut with absolutely everything was ridiculous – ended up being about a three hour cut, once all these added storylines were refined with the fat was cut out.

>HULLFISH: Wow. Four hours.

>BRENNER: . I remember being a little worried. Three and a half hours, okay, that’s fine for a movie of this size, the way Zack likes to work. This was more daunting. But we cut down “Man of Steel” from about 3 and half hours, I knew we’d get this done.

How about Snyder and Co. not make a fucking four hour cut that of course will need to be cut down to a normal blockbuster length? What a jackass approach.

It's not "the studio forced me to shred my brilliant film" it's "I'm a fucking idiot hack and can't make a reasonable film".
>>
I assumed Babs showed up in the third act to do some Oracle shit, explaining how the fuck Batman knew where Martha was
>>
>>81767960
I want the cut to explain how Lois knew they needed the spear again.
>>
>>81767957
Dummy

This is normal for large scale movies. Most big budget movies always end up 3-5 hours in Assembly
>>
>>81767957
That's how most long movies happen. They make a cut of the movie that has everything in it and then cut the fat. The Lord of the Rings movies had 4 hour cuts as well. The problem here is that they rearranged a bunch of shit to make it happen sooner in the final cut of the movie, which disjointed the flow of the film.
>>
>>81765232
but you have a small dick, give it a second shot
>>
>>81765035
it'd take more than 30 minutes to fix that film
>>
>>81765035

Haven't even given it a first look. But if director's cut is released on the internet alongside theatrical, might just watch director's.
>>
>>81768148
I'm pretty sure Whedon also said Age of Ultron had 4 hours of footage as well.
>>
>>81767149

No. Come on, now. You can't be serious?
>>
>>81766961
Lex awkwardly shoving candies down random people's throats for 60 minutes
>>
>implying this wasn't wbs plan from the beginning to make everyone watch it again
>dawn of jewstice
>>
>>81765035
>Will you give Batman v Superman a second look

No. I haven't rewatched Man of Steel and I won't rewatch this. The movie could be 6 hours and still be shit.
>>
File: 1427474990158.jpg (55 KB, 416x416) Image search: [Google]
1427474990158.jpg
55 KB, 416x416
>>81765035
>Will you give Batman v Superman a second look with the Director's Cut?

I wanted to see it a second time anyway but this time without 3D, I fucking hate that shit.
>>
>>81765035
Yes I'm waiting for this.
>>
>>81765035
What was the point in watching the movie at the cinema if the 'real' cut comes out later?
>>
>>81771816

is the directors cut gonna come to the cinema as well?
>>
>>81767957
>>81768148

Even Mark Webb had a 4 hours cut of ASM 2
>>
>>81767960

Alfred literally tells that he has the location of the russians phone locked in
>>
>>81765035
If this cut of the movie doesn't have the score force fucking my ears saying "YOU'RE HAPPY.....NOW SAD", I'd be interested.
>>
>>81765035
>Lois Lane actually being a Journalist, investigating Lex Luthor and Wallace Keefe on her own.
But she already did that
>>
>>81766961
It's extreme slow motion footage of a single plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat. Truly the height of kino.
>>
>>81766752
I think the problem is how you're reading the complaints.
A lot of them aren't "I don't understand why this happened". They're :"I don't understand why no one stopped this from being shot why is it so fucking stupid"
>>
>>81774170
She did it too much, even.
And really I don't see the appeal of Clark being a journalist either in this context unless it actually shows him having people skills for once, because of course Perry wasn't going to let him write an OPINION PIECE like it was a real article when he had actual work to do.
>>
>>81774230
>its not how it is but how I think it is
>>
>>81765035
>Alfred, scene with him by his trailer on the Wayne compound
Alfred lives in a trailer in Bruce's garden? That seems hilarious to me, shirtless Alfred sat on his porch, with a can of Coors light.
>>
>>81767957
>This pleb never sat through and watched The Ten Commandments, Ben Hur ,Fanny and Alexander, Lawrence of Arabia, Nicholas and Alexandra, Once Upon a Time in America and Das Booth in one sitting
Ben Hur was even supposed to be longer.

Although once upon a time in America had the long full movie in Europe only, America got the short version.
>>
>>81765035
I loved it the first time, bad editing and all. I have a feeling I'll love it even more with extended scenes.
>>
>>81774371
>I don't know what that boy has against Kryptonians, that Superman fella seems like good people.
>*plinks his empties with a .22*
>>
>>81774298
I'm just saying that Frodoing isn't an "I didn't understand it" kind of post. It's a "I think it's stupid they didn't do this" thing.

Especially when it applies to a Snyder movie. I know it goes against the whole "it's totally kino that's too smart for everyone" but I got news for you. Everyone gets what the man is going for. They just question it because his ideas and executions tend to be so terrible.
>>
File: 2015-classic-front.jpg (104 KB, 400x288) Image search: [Google]
2015-classic-front.jpg
104 KB, 400x288
>>81774371
>>81774450
>Implying he doesn't live in a trailer made for rich people
>>
>>81774468
Just so we're clear here, what did you think he was going for?
>>
>>81770272
I love it!
>>
>>81774564
>seriously asking that

we had more than enough threads already, I do wonder what you are expecting right now.
>>
File: GTA5mrphilips6.jpg (205 KB, 1773x753) Image search: [Google]
GTA5mrphilips6.jpg
205 KB, 1773x753
>>81774533
>the 'send em back to Krypton' sign is just out of view.
>>
>>81767278
>anything beyond that is additional footage shot to ensure continuity between scenes

which is exactly what was missing, somewhere after 20 minutes, you had like one hour of the most snyder-esque scenes with music and in your face visuals, no wonder people thought this movie was exhausting.
>>
>>81765642
It's just 3 hours, genius.
>>
>>81774632
I asked what someone thought in a thread about a comic book movie. I do wonder why I would expect an honest response instead of an evasion.
>>
>not just shoving everything into an HBO series
>>
>>81765642

Pussy,
>>
>>81765035
>Clark Looking for his mom after he returns from the mountains before he goes to Metropolis to catch Lois

From how Hack described that scene it would be even worse
>>
>>81765035
No
>>
>Jena Malone as Barbara Gordon, possibly in Gotham during Clarks investigations

By the way, Barbara is in the theatrical cut for a split second. She's the woman Batman picks up in the Knightmare scene.
>>
>>81766752

I think a lot of people are either stupid, or have ADD. People are basically crying about not being held by the hand and spoon fed every single plot point or completely misunderstanding scenes that are in no way deep, subtle or confusing to anyone who actually has an average IQ and can put two and two together without the movie having to go "hey, pay attention I'm about to explain my motivation to you step by step"
>>
>>81774564
Okay, here's what I think, since you asked.
I think Snyder wanted to do another Watchmen. But I don't think he understood the point of Watchmen. I don't think he got that you can't just turn Superman and Batman into Watchmen out of the gate, you have to build up to it and create context for it. He wanted to do a story about the rise and fall of superheroes, but forgot to do the rise part. He wants to do a story about how mankind processes that kind of impossible stuff, but is beholden to the franchise and the constraints of the IP in such a way that he doesn't know how to deal and mix stuff together.

The thing is, that despite being in this industry for decades, Snyder I don't think is well read enough or experienced enough in crafting a full narrative to do something that subtle. He's a music video director, that's where he got his start and he's never really grown past it. He replaces characterization and plot coherence with things he thinks is cool; because in a music video you can do that. You don't need context or establishing shots or continuity of thought. You just need heavy symbolism, good lighting, and music. He thinks he can substitute references for writing ability. References to Excalibur because he likes it. References to the Bible because it's allegorical easy mode. He recreates pages from graphic novels which is great for some people because they go "Look this was from The Dark Knight Returns! He totally gets it and isa fan!" but...well, what happens if you try and make a book like that? If you take a page from one comic and a page from another and a page from a third and then you staple in a couple pages of scripture from the Gospels and a scene or two from Le Morte d'Arthur? You wouldn't get a coherent story there either.
>>
>>81774898
>without the movie having to go "hey, pay attention I'm about to explain my motivation to you step by step"
Every time one of you guys says this I can't help but remember that bit in Man of Steel where Zod literally pauses the movie so he can give a little speech explaining his motivations to Clark step by step.

You're right. Snyder isn't deep or subtle. You're underestimating audiences though. People don't have ADD, they're just not paying attention because the movie is boring them. People aren't crying about needing to be hand held, they're complaining that the movie relies on intuitive leaps rather than being well thought out.

Snyder isn't smart. He's just long winded. He talks a lot and confuses that with saying something of value.

The kino memes have blinded people to the nature of the beast more than they're willing to admit. So now it's become that there MUST be some deeper meaning behind all of this stuff, because either it's genius and the entire world is retarded, or Snyder is just a shitty director, and we can't allow the latter so it HAS to be the former.
>>
>>81774908
>you have to build up to it and create context for it.

MoS is the build up, Batman's POV getting much of the focus in the first hour creates the context.

>He wanted to do a story about the rise and fall of superheroes
No, he did a story about letting fear cloud your judgement and the disaster that follows, with superheroes being able to get past that when they set aside their differences and work together.
>>
>>81768456
That doesn't even make sense. Stay mad
>>
>>81765035
No.
>>
>>81774986
>with superheroes being able to get past that when they set aside their differences and work together.

Done so brilliantly as "Martha", not that you simpletons can understand how deep and well portrayed that was.

I'm thinking of making Jackets for the elite few that understand BvS, who's in?
>>
>>81774950

what Snyder refuses to use is scenes like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWxGzxMAGX0

where not only the movie spoonfeeds you the reasons of the characters but the scene is highlighted as such, a scene purely done for exposition. Instead you get a lot of little scenes or remarks which state the reasons of the characters but you don't think they are important because they happened in an unspectacular manner or the actual statement is only implied at best.
>>
>>81774986
>MoS is the build up
I don't agree that it was sufficient for what he's attempting.

>No, he did a story about letting fear cloud your judgement and the disaster that follows, with superheroes being able to get past that when they set aside their differences and work together.

In BvS? Arguably. But then, BvS has the problem of havng to be a followup to Man of Steel (as well as a prequel to Justice League). It's that former bit, the fact that this has to build off of and deliver stuff that Man of Steel only alluded to, that I'm talking about.

It's too many plots for one movie for even a great director, much less one that has as many problems structuring a narrative without a lot of guides like Snyder.

To give another example, )9'm sure you'll disagree because you might have found him charming and endearing and that's your right, but) most people aren't getting that from this Superman, which makes doing a story element like the Death of Superman misguided. There's no proper context for it for most people, because he hasn't won over audiences yet. There's nothing to miss but an idea of what might have been.
>>
>>81775117
Will it be like the Drive jackets?
>>
>>81775133

Are you seriously trying to argue that "people having conversations" equals spoonfeeding?

BvS wasn't Drive. That was a movie where 90% of the character establishment and development was delivered through the visuals. BvS had plenty of fucking terrible dialogue, and any time the visuals were trying to convey anything about the characters it's done in the most blatant, ham-handed way possible.
>>
>>81774986
>No, he did a story about letting fear cloud your judgement and the disaster that follows,
The problem with this idea is that it doesn't mix with Snyder's insistence that no good deed goes unpunished. It makes that fear justified because he's flat out saying the rules of this universe are that even if Clark has the best of intentions and does everything right, something bad is going to happen somewhere as a result of his altruistic actions.

>with superheroes being able to get past that when they set aside their differences and work together.
The narrative is very weighted to the first half of your synopsis. Which is, by the way, what you're describing. A plot synopsis is only part of the story. It's What happens certainly. It's the not the How or the Why. Those points are covered by theme, motif, and symbolism, and the where the real meat of analysis lies.
>>
>>81765035
No. I don't have Stockholm syndrome.
>>
File: image.jpg (396 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
396 KB, 2000x2000
>yfw this fixes the "pace"
>yfw critics still give it low or worse scores
>yfw their reason is "it's still not as fun and comical as other superhero movies"
>yfw you're pace
>>
>>81775256
>adds another half hour to an already too long movie
>fixes pace
>>
>>81775117
Oh yes it was totally deep and well portrayed kino. I have no idea why no one else gets it.
>>
File: AIDSman.jpg (39 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
AIDSman.jpg
39 KB, 600x450
No i will not. batman does nothing for me and he's the only part of the movie that works.
i'm a superman fan and this is intolerable garbage.
i actually wish he was dead for real and they just had MM replace him
>>
>>81775133
>Characters talking bad
>Jar of piss good
>>
>>81775133
>where not only the movie spoonfeeds you the reasons of the characters
>Everything I do I do for Krypton and no action no matter how monstrous blah blah blah
How is that not spoonfeeding exposition of a character's motivations? Because Snyder did it? There's no implications there, it's just exposition.
>>
>>81775297
length and pace have nothing to do with each other.
>>
>>81775297
>pace = movie length

You can fuck off back to fagbook now.
>>
File: ave imperator.jpg (24 KB, 200x252) Image search: [Google]
ave imperator.jpg
24 KB, 200x252
>>81775256
>it's still not as fun and comical as other superhero movies

No one said that. Lack of levity is different from "it's not funny".

Stop defending Zack Snyder.
>>
>>81765035
>Making a movie that is built on a fundamentally stupid concept and hamfisted script 30 minutes longer will somehow redeem it
>>
>>81767374
I often wonder about this stuff. Like do they not know how long their movie is meant to be before they do scripting and storyboarding and filming and stuff?

They way it comes down to us it always seems like the film-makers are let loose making their movie then once they have shot all of their footage THEN the studio declares how long it's got to be.

I am all for a three hour, improved version of the movie because I like to watch complete films.
>>
>mfw there are people on this board RIGHT NOW who haven't given up on justice league
>>
If they add half an hour of good stuff and cut out another hour of what was there then I'd consider pirating it.
>>
>>81775347
I agree that they're different but I wouldn't say nothing. A 3 hour movie fan feel like a blink if its pacing is good and a 90 minute movie can feel interminable if it's got poor pacing. But if a movie has bad pacing then adding more of probably it isn't going to help.

Especially since there's not really anything that he could add that would rectify the current pacing problems. (He could maybe fix the CHARACTER probems if one of the cut scenes was Clark actually giving a senate speech but I doubt it even occured to him to write that let alone shoot it).

What the movie needs needs at this point is a cut that removes all the sequel bait stuff. That'd probably help it the most and even that would just be a bandaid.
>>
>>81775239
>It makes that fear justified because he's flat out saying the rules of this universe are that even if Clark has the best of intentions and does everything right, something bad is going to happen somewhere as a result of his altruistic actions.

No, he's saying that you can never be in complete control of everything, so even altruistic actions can have unforeseen negative consequences, and accepting that is part of being a true hero. If Clark saves someone in Metropolis, it means someone in New York dies because he wasn't there instead.

All fear does it make things progressively worse, turns good people bad and cruel as it corrupts them and their ideals. Fear creates situations where violence is always the end result.
>>
>>81775232

I'm not saying the conversation was unnatural, it makes sense for Steve and Tony to talk about this at that point, doesn't change the fact that the only purpose is for the audiance to draw a clear line between the POV of the characters.

>Vash17

I should not care.
>>
File: WB HAD ITS CHANCE.gif (621 KB, 300x175) Image search: [Google]
WB HAD ITS CHANCE.gif
621 KB, 300x175
>>81775396

I liked MoS and blame WB for the fuck up that was BvS, as far as Snyder was concerned, this should've been MoS 2.
>>
>>81775393
They do know but with a property like this it's probably a great big clusterfuck from second one. I don't want this to sound like I'm trying to defend Snyder but I don't doubt for a second that he had his cut he wanted and it probably fit in the time limit but then someone at WB probably said "Okay but we need X number of scenes that hint at Justice League". And that meant those scenes had to be added, and some scenes probably had to be truncated or cut. Then you probably have a bean counter going "this scene is too expensive cut it short or cut it out" and that means more rewrites. Then the agent says "My actor has it in his contract that he gets X amount of screen time" and once you get all those different voices demanding different things you're nowhere near your original time projections anymore.

Now, this kind of thing is actually pretty common. And the thing is, a good director/editor can hide this so you don't even notice it was such a mess of a production. Snyder isn't that guy.

And having said all that, when one of the main issues of the movie is that it could've been solved in 20 minutes had the title characters just talked to each other, and the director refuses to let that happen because them talking in costume is something he couldn't take seriously, I don't think there's a way to cut that into working.
>>
>>81775447

I think you're a fucking moron. How's that for a conversation?
>>
>>81775423
>Especially since there's not really anything that he could add that would rectify the current pacing problems.

I honestly don't think you know what pacing means. I don't know all of this footage that wasn't introduced. Somehow you know any of it doesn't make the movie flow more organically. Basically you're talking out your ass.
>>
>>81775424
Then why is this Clark so ruled by fear?
>>
Well, lads, we're gonna get some great stuff from batman's corrner of the universe at least. As far as the rest of the DCEU is concerned, anyone who doesn't think it's a complete disaster deserves all my keks
>>
File: 86537959.png (593 KB, 700x714) Image search: [Google]
86537959.png
593 KB, 700x714
>>81775502
>>
>>81775447

>doesn't change the fact that the only purpose is for the audiance to draw a clear line between the POV of the characters.

And that's inherently bad?
>>
>>81775517
Hold on to hope. Ben will have a few dinners with Kevin Smith for fan service...take that as you may.
>>
>>81775367
>"Blunt, humorless, and baffling"
>"Snyder, unlike, say, Jon Favreau or Joss Whedon or James Gunn or the other Marvels, doesn't really seem to like the "comic" part of comic books"
>"A joyless slog"
>"gloomy characters confronting their demons or wrestling with insipid moral quandaries, this joyless slog isn't a superhero film so much as it is an excruciating therapy session with huge explosions and guys in capes"
>"It's also not much fun"
>"Overlong, underdeveloped and almost entirely humorless, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice may please die-hard fans by pitting two DC icons against each other. Everyone else may want to wait for the next Marvel movie"

The fuck outta here!
>>
>>81775506
>I honestly don't think you know what pacing means
I'm not the same guy that you responded to originally but for me the problem with the movie is that the action sequences and the like are weighted in a weird way so that you have rather long swathes of somewhat boring expository scenes and dialogue and then sudden punctuation to break that lull; the movie is cut in a way that makes both suffer.

And while neither of us know what was cut, it's possible to make educated guesses just based on the simple fact that big budget big money special effects scenes? Those never end up on the deleted scene real past the animatic phase. They're not going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars shooting a big Lex in Robot Armor fight and then cut it; they've spent too much money on it to do that. They'll just do a storyboard or some pre-rendered models at most.

Check out ANY cape movie with a deleted scenes dvd bonus feature made in the last 15 years if you don't believe me. With very few exceptions the deleted scenes are of conversations not spectacle set pieces.
So if there's 30 minutes missing from BvS, yeah, you can be the vast bulk of it is going to be secret identity "talky" stuff that's easier to part with because it was cheaper to shoot.
>>
>>81774908
Thanks for that. Here's what I think.

I think Snyder was going for a movie where the central questions and struggles that the protagonist face are internal. Superman as a public figure is two years old by the end of the film, and it's only as we near the close that he's starting to find the path forward that he's been seeking since he was first forced out into the world at large. It's basically Superman struggling to find a way to be an inspirational figure without taking on the mantle of godhood, something he'll continue to struggle with in the aftermath of the events of BvS.

He's come to understand that he has to face the consequences of his actions and make peace with them on the basis of his own morality. Pa Kent's story is, in large part, about guilt and making peace with yourself. It's about getting to choose your world, and your place in it.

To me, at least, that seems rather far afield from the themes of Watchmen. I suppose you could make the argument that Snyder's giving us Manhattan during his "hero" phase, but I'd disagree with that, mainly because Osterman is only vaguely human in the aftermath of his accident. Clark is all too human in his thoughts and attitudes.
>>
>There's no such thing as Darkness Induced Audience Apathy
It's weird that the comics, well comics movie side of the board is in so unable to come to terms with the concept when the cartoon side already had to process and get over it back with Legend of Korra.
>>
>>81775599
>Blunt
>doesn't really seem to like the "comic" part of comic books
>joyless
>gloomy characters
>not much FUN (not FUNNY)
>Overlong, underdeveloped

None of this has to do with comedy or the movie not being funny, Anon. Read those reviews again.
>>
>>81765035
Fuck no, the issues of the movie are completely independant of all that.
Watched it in theatres, not even going to pirate the BluRay because it has some of the worst CGI i've seen in years.
>>
>>81775652
Oh, I see, so you're either a fucking retard and/or shitposting.

Carry on, then.
>>
>>81775494
Ahh what a convoluted mess it all is. It's a bloody miracle that we get much of anything in the way of good movies.

And I liked this movie overall.
>>
File: DC wut.jpg (155 KB, 472x376) Image search: [Google]
DC wut.jpg
155 KB, 472x376
>>81775256
>>yfw their reason is "it's still not as fun and comical as other superhero movies"

Why would you want it to try and be Age of Memetron
>>
>>81775728
Haha, ok man. Keep defending this turd Snyder gave to you.

>Defends Zack Snyder
>Somehow I'm retard
>>
>>81775599

And all of these are right. It's a dull, lifeless movie with delusions of granduer in place of character.

Even the worst MCU movie is leagues better. For fuck's sake, I'd watch Green Lantern and Jonah Hex before going near BvS again. There's nothing worst then self-important crap like Batman v Superman.
>>
>>81775511

He isn't ruled by fear, he's struggling to cope with all the burden that come from his status as a superhero, as well as the responsibility to use his powers as effectively as possible to help people. Like anyone, the stress and worry about if he's actually helping people or making matters worse weighs on him because all his actions have these massive global, political consequences that are hard to predict and control.

This is what makes BvS so great introspective about what it's like to be Superman. A normal person would be crushed with all the shit he has to deal with, but he doesn't, because ultimately he will keep trying his best to help people, even at the cost of his own life.
>>
>>81775607
I think I mostly agree with you, except you seem to imply that the problem with pacing was not enough big budget special effects scenes. You can ebb and flow an audience without them. In multitudes of ways for that matter...pick any movie with little to no CGI that you love.
>>
>>81765035
>More intense action which got an R rating spread across all action scenes.
Jesus, what more could Batman do to those thugs?
>>
>>81775774
>Why would you want it to try and be Age of Memetron

Because despite you guys trying to turn AoU into a meme harder than Milhouse, it still was moderately successful and inoffensive enough to be an easily forgotten drop in the bucket whereas it's only because of Fan4stic that BvS is going to avoid the dubious title of worst cape movie of the 2010s and as it stands may still win "biggest disappointment".

Turns out the entire rest of the planet doesn't give a shit about dank kino memes. Who knew? Except for everyone, I mean.
>>
>>81775801
I wasn't trying to imply that. I mean to say that I can guess the KIND of deleted scenes, and when I combine that with other data like "If Superman and Batman talk to each other its silly and I can't take it seriously" you can start to whittle down the possible scenes it can be.

You CAN ebb and flow an audience without a lot of big flashy spectacle scenes. But I'd argue that Snyder can't.
>>
>>81768832
Adding another hour to that endless slog is not the way.
>>
>>81775793
I guess I'm just not impressed because I've seen it done so much better in a dozen different comics without being nearly as dour. It's possible to show that the pressure is getting to Clark without him being so damn mopey about it, and Snyder doesn't realize this.
>>
>>81765035
Most definitely
>>
>>81775793
Martyrdom is a coward's tactic
>>
>>81775913
>Fighting Doomsday to the death makes him a coward
You're an idiot.
>>
File: Alfred11.jpg (787 KB, 1280x1976) Image search: [Google]
Alfred11.jpg
787 KB, 1280x1976
>>81774533
Do those fancy trailers not have porches upon which a butler can sit shirtless with a can of Coors Light while he practices marksmanship upon his empties?
>>
>>81775793
>because ultimately he will keep trying his best to help people,
So long as he doesn't have to talk to them anyway
>>
File: squirrelgirlthanos.jpg (283 KB, 657x1023) Image search: [Google]
squirrelgirlthanos.jpg
283 KB, 657x1023
>>81775816
>trying to turn AoU into a meme harder than Milhouse

Whedon did that. "Here are all these super easy to quote jokes which are out of character because my life is a joke."

Just like how Marvel took Squirrel GIrl and ran her straight into the ground recently. They don't understand subltey
>>
>>81775789
See? Even Vash agrees with me.
>>
>>81768456
This is not how it works, I think you never really had sex Anon
>>
>>81775793
And here comes the liar.

That's not what gets across the screen at all. Clark looks either pissed off, afraid or confused for the most of the movie. That's what we see when we look at his face on the big screen.

Take your fucking headcannon and leave.
>>
>>81776083
>And here comes the liar.

Is this the birth of a new epic meme?
>>
>>81776014
>Whedon did that.
He really didnt. I don't remember any of the supposed deluge of quips except maybe for "Language' and even then it's because you guys keep repeating it like it's some big horrific crime against cinema.

The quips in AoU are blown grossly out of proportion by its hatedom, just like "DANCE OFF BRO". The movies are forgettable, but because they're also profitable the haters won't let anyone forget them.
>>
>>81775232
Did anything Lex Luthor do in the movie make any sense without that mumbling, incoherent speech in at the library about how knowledge should equal power with other scenes interrupting and drawing attention away from it?
>>
>>81776083
>Clark looks either pissed off, afraid or confused

Not that guy but:

>pissed off that people keep treating him like he's some kind of god.
>afraid that being "deified" could lead to some very dark places for both himself and humanity at large
>confused because no matter what you do, your actions are either perceived as too much or not enough

That all seems to be in perfect keeping with what >>81775793 is getting at,
>>
>>81776193
It all makes sense once you decipher what Lex was really after.

To become the founder of the Justice League - his pet heroes that defeat the "alien menace." Donating money to the local library can't even begin to compare with that level of esteem.
>>
>>81765035
>second look
I will not even give it a first look.
>>
>>81776283

Too late, you're already in this thread.
>>
>>81776196
Yet despite all this not once does he open his mouth and ask them to stop worshiping him.
And no I don't give a shit about "they'd do it anyway" at least then we could say Clark TRIED.
>>
File: AFFLICTED.png (293 KB, 432x426) Image search: [Google]
AFFLICTED.png
293 KB, 432x426
>>81765035
please pull a Kingdom of Heaven
>>
>>81776196

This: >>81776307

The movie sucks. The fucking end.
>>
>>81776307
I'm strangely cool with that. Clark got jumped from basically being Bill Bixby's Hulk to being hounded by the media. How exactly does one vocally discourage people from worshiping them as a god when no one's coming right out and saying it? I bet the media would go nuts with that.

It's funny to me that Lex is possibly the only one to call him a god to his face, and Lex doesn't himself believe that.
>>
>>81776307
>being pleb enough that you need things literally spelled out for you

Do you even capekino?
>>
>>81776259
Do you mean Darkseid or Superman? Because the latter would have made a much better movie, especially if the campaign to vilify Superman was much more competent and coherent.
>>
>>81776135
It's not a meme when it's true and not funny at all.

>I want my DC movies to be directed by a fucking hack so much I'll defend his shit to the fucking end, I'll even lie to people I don't even know to make them watch this shit.

This needs to stop!
>>
File: 1290083090766.jpg (41 KB, 675x612) Image search: [Google]
1290083090766.jpg
41 KB, 675x612
A three hour cut of the film means jack shit if they don't fix the editing. They have to completely rearrange multiple scenes because the guy they got to edit the film is a fucking idiot.
>>
I've watched it about 4 times and will probably do 3 more when the extended gets release
>>
>>81776377
>kino kino pleb kino pleb pleb kino
Yeah "fun" is the buzzword though.
>>
File: this.gif (446 KB, 300x186) Image search: [Google]
this.gif
446 KB, 300x186
>>81776435
>>
>>81765035
Seems counter intuitive to hype up a directprs cut of a movie that is still in theatres.
>>
>>81776393
I definitely mean the latter.

But in order to turn Clark into an unquestionable, bona fide threat, he needed to turn him into a *real* murderer first(no, Zod's death doesn't count. We don't call people who shoot spree killers murderers either), and what he hoped to get was video evidence of Superman murdering the Batman in apparent cold blood. He never envisioned Clark trying to reason with Bruce, and he damn sure didn't imagine that Bruce had a snowball's chance. The rest of the League with Bruce's unused weaponry? Oh, they definitely have a chance.
>>
>>81776474
Everybody's been drooling over the R-rated cut since before the movie even hit theaters.
>>
DCfriends are turning /co/ into the Elemental Plane of Salt.
I fucking swear.
>>
What the fuck is kino, and why is everybody suddenly saying it?
>>
>>81776474
DAMAGE CONTROL
A bit of Batfleck Swearing and a couple of bloody mook deaths and hey! presto! this giant turd is polished!
>>
>>81776557

Someone needs to lurk more.
>>
>>81776573
It didn't originate in /co/.
Are you seriously suggesting lurking at it's point of origin?
Why would anyone want to do that?
>>
>>81776435
What's up with the "kino" thing anyway? As far as I can tell it's a used exclusively by dipshits to alert you to the fact that they're saying something stupid. Or at least it's EZ-Modo trolling to make you think that.
>>
>>81776573
I'm here all the time and the only time people ever bring up "kino" is in these movie threads, with no real meaning attached to it.
>>
>>81765035
>> Lex Luthor Communion scene

This just adds more stupid shit and annoying questions. I don't have any hope for the Director's Cut making "more sense" when this is the kind of shit in it.

>>All that still not close to filling up 30 minutes
I don't think you realize how long the scenes you described would actually be to actually add anything to the movie. If each one is 3 minutes that adds up to 30 minutes you dumb fuck. If they're all less than a minute it's just more shit thrown in for no reason.
>>
>>81765035
>scene from trailers with riders on horses
What is this movie's obsession with horses?
>>
>>81765035
But he isn't even aware his mom has been kidnapped until after he catches Lois...
>>
File: Speedforce.jpg (38 KB, 589x399) Image search: [Google]
Speedforce.jpg
38 KB, 589x399
>>81776712
it's a Goyer plot structure, it doesn't have to make any sense.
>>
>>81776729
Now I need to meme that into the Flash dream scene.....
>>
>>81776146
Ah no nigga, the quips were coming in like every 10 seconds. They were distracting and corny, Gotg gets a pass cause they weren't as cringe worthy besides the dance off.
>>
File: 1456448908636.png (38 KB, 175x200) Image search: [Google]
1456448908636.png
38 KB, 175x200
>>81776557
>>81776610
/tv/ damage control team trying to paint up a forgettable movie as the Citizen Kane of super-heroic comic films.

Aka, shitposting.
Thread replies: 179
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.