[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who is the best Dreamworks villain and why is it Shen?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: Parting Gift.webm (1 MB, 1920x816) Image search: [Google]
Parting Gift.webm
1 MB, 1920x816
Who is the best Dreamworks villain and why is it Shen?
>>
>>81745231
I'm sick of this type of angsty villain type. Just like Loki or the Wannabe-Vader. He doesn't look threatening. Defeating him means nothing.
>>
>>81745231
Because most of their villains are terrible.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2014-08-05-21h18m11s72.png (848 KB, 1280x544) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2014-08-05-21h18m11s72.png
848 KB, 1280x544
>>81745231
Fuck yes, best scene in the movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Tn4BVBwWE
>>
>>81745353
>He doesn't look threatening.
Shen, Not threatening. Ok then...
>>
>>81745353
That's because you refuse to see them as people
>>
>>81745625
That doesn't make any sense. They would be scarier if I dehumanize them.
>>
>>81745231
Dreamworks should try getting his KFP serious back. If Disney can, DW can too!
>>
Yes, the life and times of lord Shen when?
>>
that is not lord Farquad
>>
>>81745231
Why the love for this guy? Seriously its like all of you are a bunch of edgy Naruto lovers
>>
File: 1459184591630.png (91 KB, 550x281) Image search: [Google]
1459184591630.png
91 KB, 550x281
>>81751089
Because fairly complex villain whose motives are arguably better than the protagonist's. Plus he had a lot of backstory cut from the final film.

And voiced by Gary Oldman.
>>
File: putin.jpg (6 KB, 217x232) Image search: [Google]
putin.jpg
6 KB, 217x232
>>81745231
>I HATE MY DEAD GAY PARENTS!!
>good
Sure thing, Anon.

>>81751089
They want to fug the bird.
>>
I feel like dreamworks has a lot of talent at their studio but they just waste it on crap scripts for the most part.
>>
>>81745231
Gary Oldman.
>>
>>81745353
>Shen
>Not threatening

Dude was threatening as fuck.
>>
>>81758618
Shen was only menacing because all the Kung-Fu Masters kept standing still and letting him shoot them.
>>
>>81745231
shen is the best dreamworks villain because all their other villains are either one-note jokes or generic foils for their protagonist.

shen is a well-acted character with a good visual design, an interesting backstory, and is somehow somewhat sympathetic despite being (supposedly, ignoring KFP3) guilty of genocide. his motivations are clear, and his actions are for the most part logical. more importantly he's not just a generically powerful force for the protagonist to defeat simply by being even more powerful.

Tai Lung was decent, mostly because his voice was casted perfectly, and also because his motivations were clear and somewhat sympathetic. the betrayal he felt at the hands of his surrogate father who promised him a destiny he could never achieve no matter how hard he worked shattered his entire worldview.

The only other decent dreamworks villain I can think of is actually Tighten--he's not good in the way that those other two are, but he's conceptually terrifying. I mean, he's basically a dumb-guy, PG version of the plutonian--an amoral, psychotic guy with godlike powers who seems to often act without motivation and is thus unpredictable. There's something to that idea, this sentient, malicious force that can't be predicted, placated or defended against. Also they do a really good job of making him hateable. Even before he goes supervillain he's so contemptible, in how he utterly fails to understand the value in being a hero, and how totally lacking in empathy or understanding he is towards the object of his obsession. He's basically a "nice guy" stereotype taken to a ridiculous extreme, and when he's up on top of that skyscraper and starts freaking out and screaming at Roxanne, there's some real menace there, and I genuinely feel for her and how totally helpless she is in that situation. Obviously, I know they're not gonna have a rape in a PG kids movie, but I can't help but worry about it.
>>
>>81745231
Fairy Godmother was pretty based.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.