[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does this go down? Classic versions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 23
File: strangeVfate.jpg (218 KB, 905x701) Image search: [Google]
strangeVfate.jpg
218 KB, 905x701
How does this go down?

Classic versions
>>
>>81743163
Strange steals his helmet after a night of hardcore sex.
>>
>>81743163
I haven't read much including Fate but he seems pretty weak from what I have seen of him despite his position as a Lord of Order
>>
Strange curbstomp
>>
>>81743163
Depends in who's wearing the Helmet of Fate. Hector Hall and Kent Nelson were by far the most competent, especially Kent.
If it's either of them Strange looses, especially since Kent has impressive powers even WITHOUT the helmet.

The other Fates were powerful but they had inconsistent control over their power and in several cases it's more that their power controlled THEM rather then vice-versa, so in that case Strange wins.
>>
>>81743472
The problem is that there isn't A Doctor Fate.
There's been eight of them in comics so far, each with varying degrees of competency.
>>
>>81743163

Fate blows Strange up but Strange uses Fate as a hocrux and comes back later.
>>
>>81743163

NABU > Strange > Fate

In general magic is pretty weak in the marvel universe, and their highest level characters are pretty low tier.
>>
File: 2421475-pc6sx5.jpg (163 KB, 568x762) Image search: [Google]
2421475-pc6sx5.jpg
163 KB, 568x762
>>81743163
>Marvelfags keep doing this over and over again....

There is no one in Marvel that can stand up to their DC counterpart. DC power levels are just that much fucking higher than the Marvel ones.
>>
>>81743163
Fate tends to outpower his villains the old fashioned way.

But Strange usually out thinks much MUUUUCH stronger villains and sort of Dr Whos the situation in his favor and everything works out somehow.
>>
>>81744364
>implying it's Marvelfags making these arguments and not DCucks fan wanking over their favorite heroes
>>
>>81744364
Power levels are meaningless anyway since they change depending on the author and needs of the story.
>>
>>81744364
>>81744426

All the vs threads that include Batman or Superman are made by Marvelfags that end up running away buthurt

This threads with b and c listers are usually made by DCfags that want to circlejerk and wank at their favorite heroes

Both sides are shit.
>>
>>81743163
>Marvel does not even have magic
?he conjures science from his fingers instead

Fate makes a shield, nothing Strange does can harm him because he cannot get past magic defenses.
>>
File: DrStrangeMaster7016.jpg (344 KB, 921x1373) Image search: [Google]
DrStrangeMaster7016.jpg
344 KB, 921x1373
Silver/Gold age Fate? Strange gets buttfucked.

Any weaker version? Strange steals the show, badly. Stange is too hardcore and suicidal to lose against somebody who isn't strong enough.
>>
File: DrStrangeMaster7017.jpg (340 KB, 923x1379) Image search: [Google]
DrStrangeMaster7017.jpg
340 KB, 923x1379
>>81745185
>>
File: DrStrangeMaster7018.jpg (296 KB, 917x1397) Image search: [Google]
DrStrangeMaster7018.jpg
296 KB, 917x1397
>>81745263
BOOOOOOOOOOM
>>
File: DrStrangeMaster7019.jpg (369 KB, 919x1359) Image search: [Google]
DrStrangeMaster7019.jpg
369 KB, 919x1359
>>81745279
B O O M
O
O
M
>>
>>81744814
Jesus you fucking moviefags.
You are literally worse then Marvel OR DC because you are the worst elements of both fandoms combined.

Fate isn't in any movies so go back to /tv/. Thanks.
>>
>>81744814
Here's your (You)
>>
>>81745185
Agreed.
Kent Nelson Fate was pretty much in par with the Spectre which is basically saying he was pretty much on par with God, though I believe the Spectre wins their confrontation in All-Star Squadron after awhile.
>>
File: DrStrangeMaster7020.jpg (348 KB, 912x1352) Image search: [Google]
DrStrangeMaster7020.jpg
348 KB, 912x1352
>>81745326
N U C L E A R
U
C
L
E
A
R
>>
File: newavengers20d_zps830404a0.jpg (595 KB, 600x913) Image search: [Google]
newavengers20d_zps830404a0.jpg
595 KB, 600x913
>>81743163
Strange gets curbstomped then sells his soul to satan to win
>>
File: DrStrangeMaster7021.jpg (345 KB, 923x1366) Image search: [Google]
DrStrangeMaster7021.jpg
345 KB, 923x1366
>>81745390
>>
File: DrStrangeMaster7022.jpg (329 KB, 910x1352) Image search: [Google]
DrStrangeMaster7022.jpg
329 KB, 910x1352
>>81745470
>>
File: DrStrangeMaster7023.jpg (286 KB, 920x1366) Image search: [Google]
DrStrangeMaster7023.jpg
286 KB, 920x1366
>>81745488
The end of that comic
>>
File: 960.jpg (45 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
45 KB, 960x540
>not pairing the doctors against each other
>>
Peak-Strange faced off against Shuma-Gorath. And, as of Infinity, can summon him.

I'm not aware of Fate's feats, but that's a tough act for anyone to follow.
>>
>>81745665
>I'm not aware of Fate's feats, but that's a tough act for anyone to follow.
Fate's done the same sort of thing in his limited 80's miniseries, which was vaguely horror-focused.
Fate was kind of a forerunner to the weird shit that happens in Vertigo in stuff like Sandman and Lucifer, and it was his job to keep a lid on that.

He had varying degrees of success since a lot of the helmet's wearers didn't have the necessary training at first.
>>
>>81745665
FATE peaked by beating Evil Johnny Quicks golem version of a peaked justice league.
Sure it was impressive, but STRANGE is a lot more impressive because Shuma Gorath is a interdimensional cosmic horror.
>>
File: ShumaStrange.jpg (472 KB, 948x1410) Image search: [Google]
ShumaStrange.jpg
472 KB, 948x1410
>>
>>81745665
>Peak-Strange faced off against Shuma-Gorath. And, as of Infinity, can summon him.

Any sorcerer can summon or call upon the power of anyone in Marvel. Controlling them is something else entirely.
Also, given that Infinity tends to be ignored once it was over just like everything in modern big-name comics is completely ignored once it's over, I think we can safely say that that's kind of an outlier.

Especially since what Strange originally defeated was a tiny aspect of Shuma-Gorath and it taxed him immensely to do so and it was explained that it's basically the smallest piece of the larger being which is effectively the absolute supreme being of it's own universe.
To whit; the Cancerverse of the Thanos Imperative? The Many-Angled ones called upon that caused it are LESSER then Shuma-Gorath and he is the greatest of their cthonian number.
Meanwhile recently he was basically just treated as a glorified fucking Kaiju.
>>
>>81745427
This is pretty much the only real difference between the two when it comes to power. Fate gets weaker when the guy in the helmet eventually dies and Nabu has to get a new host, while Strange does something stupid and gets booted back to square one as punishment.
>>
>>81745783
Go read more comics.
There's the Golden Age one where Fate meets GOD and tells him to go fuck off and God tries to kill him and Fate NOPES his way out of it with magic.
Basically, don't participate in an argument unless you are ACTUALLT familiar with both sides of it and can make an informed decision.

That said, Strange would STILL beat most Fates who aren't Ken Nelson or perhaps Hector Hall.
>>
>>81746043
It ends with raw power levels of what
Shuuma > Golden Fate > God > Specter > most incarnations of FATE > Dr Strange > Constantine
Not that raw power level is worth shit when dealing with magic.
>>
>>81746117
>shuuma that high

kek marvelfags truly delude themselves
>>
>>81746231
Thats sorta what happens when GOD is dimensional, and Shuuma is multidimensional.
>>
>>81746117
I would say that DC's God is more powerful then Shuma-Gorath because he's the God of everything everywhere, including other universes, no matter who is actually ruling them at any moment.

S-to-the-G is in some ways what Strange is (the most powerful mystic being of his cosmos) only his power stretches across more the one universe because he's like Magic Space Cancer in terms of personality with a will and drive.
>>
>>81746289
The Presence is not limited to one dimension in DC.
The Spectre is, and actually when he tried going to another Earth in one comic The Presence told him to fuck off since his Vengeance Permit didn't allow him to leave or use his powers in other worlds. Literally those exact words too; not "I can't grant you the ability to do that" but "I WON'T grant you the ability to do that".
>>81746117
Constantine isn't even powerful in anything other then the actually-an-idiot revamped nu52 version of him.
In essence, his skill is being VERY good at lying and having a VERY good poker face.
>>
File: 3327616-6.jpg (322 KB, 1225x1920) Image search: [Google]
3327616-6.jpg
322 KB, 1225x1920
>>81744203
>magic is pretty weak in the marvel universe, and their highest level characters are pretty low tier.
>>
>>81746043
Did he tell God to cuck off? Or kill God?The way I see it, most people can NOPE their way out of a situation. The real question is, did God want him dead?

We also have to remember that it is mentioned somewhere along the way (In Civil War or World War Hulk?) that Dr. Strange could obliterate/remove the Hulk from existence if he truly wanted an end all be all. Though I'm sure Dr. Fate has a equivalent form of this also?
>>
>>81745665
Fate is a top level cosmic entity that is the source of all magic in the multiverse.

Strange is a human wizard that is not up to the standards of fighting cosmic entities without having to outsmart them.

Fate basically is what Strange serves under.
>>
>>81746491
>id he tell God to cuck off? Or kill God?The way I see it, most people can NOPE their way out of a situation. The real question is, did God want him dead?

It's admittedly a grey area because Golden Age shit is bananas, but he in a more recent (the 80's) All-Star Squadron issue fights the Spectre and WINS, though this is only barely on Fate's part.

You gotta remember, Doctor Fate isn't the same thing as Strange; Strange is a man who studied to get crazy magical powers which he can draw from mighty otherworldly beings, but Fate is basically IS one of those mighty otherworldly beings (he's a Lord of Order) and his humans really just sort of put him on.
The more trained and powerful the human is the more potent the Doctor Fate will be since he'll have access to the will of a human and the full power of a Lord of Order rather then a Lord of Order riding around in a vulnerable meat puppet body that he has to protect while he fights.

This is why Strange wins most fights; Kent Nelson trained since CHILDHOOD to be Fate (without the helmet he was still a flying Superman-tier bruiser powered by Wizard Nonsense), but others basically have no training and just let Fate take control of their bodies.
>>
Fate does not even have to get involved.

Zatanna can just say
>flesruoy llik

And no more Strange

She is not even the top magic user and is too out of context for Strange to do shit about.
>>
We established that magic has no special rules in Marvel because it's not really magic

http://www.blastr.com/2014-3-13/feige-explains-how-dr-stranges-magic-fits-marvels-movie-universe

>magic and science are "one and the same." If you don't understand something, it's simply because it's highly advanced, not magical.
>>
>>81746609
>Fate basically is what Strange serves under.
Exactly. Nabu is basically the sort of being Strange calls upon most days.
However, his reliance on a human host is a huge handicap for him and without a properly trained host he's way less powerful.
Nabu is also pretty morally ambiguous; he's a superhero because what he does is beneficial to humanity, but for most versions of him this is more or less a pleasant side-effect for his host and his real job is ensuring evil shit doesn't ruin the Order of the Earth he is on.

Speaking of which, Steven Strange wearing the Helmet of Fate would be unstoppable. Not figuratively either; literally no one could stop that shit.
>>
>>81746699
Zatanna can't actually do ANYTHING.
She has power limitations, and can't just say "Dlrow Eceap" and then all wars stop.
>>81746794
And in the movies you'd be right.
Fate is not in any of the movies and the way WB runs them so far, never will be.
Back to /tv/ or a movie thread with you.
>>
>>81746798
Except the Spectre..
>>
>>81746912
Kent Nelson as Fate won his fight with the Spectre, barely. I'd put Stephen as Kent Nelsons equal or superior, though his clearly uses his magic in different ways.

Though the Spectre STILL might win if he's in an Officially from God mission. The Spectre's powerful as hell, but when he's not acting as the Wrath of God his abilities seem greatly diminished.
>>
>>81746685
That makes sense. Kent was trained by beings of God like power whereas Strange was trained by other humans. It's kinda hard to compare them though since Kents story ended back in the Golden era, and Strange has just been built up upon since then.

>>81746798
All that article says is the Marvel Movie Universe runs on technology and no magic...not that the comics don't have magic.
>>
>>81747123
>All that article says is the Marvel Movie Universe runs on technology and no magic...not that the comics don't have magic.

Which is cute, but we're not talking about the movies. There's other threads for that. Since we only know hearsay for what Movie Strange can do and Movie Fate doesn't (and probably won't) ever exist,

Also, I have issue with that statement since that's not what "technology" means, is, how it is applies, or it's definition in any language on planet Earth.
Magic=science I can get, but while Technology is Science, Science is not Technology.
The writer for the movie said he'll be wiggling his fingers and making weird incantations and intoning tongue-twisting shit with no devices required. Which may be a form of science in the sense that you can learn it and it follows a very weird form of logic, but with no device it is not Technology.
>>
>>81747123
>All that article says is the Marvel Movie Universe runs on technology and no magic...not that the comics don't have magic.

So he brought an article about a movie into a discussion about comics.
Look, I get that there's new fans and the movies have them all excited but I wish that they'd to the movie threads. I have no issue with them, but it's basically assuming that because they read the Wikipedia article on Doctors that they ARE one. There's nothing wrong with not knowing more, only in assuming you know more then you know without bothering to confirm it one way or another.

Or they'd could go read the comics and get a better grasp of the subject, but in almost all cases that seems unlikely. Movies don't actually bring in that many new comics readers, as much as Marvel wishes it were otherwise.
>>
>>81747310
>The writer for the movie said he'll be wiggling his fingers and making weird incantations and intoning tongue-twisting shit with no devices required. Which may be a form of science in the sense that you can learn it and it follows a very weird form of logic, but with no device it is not Technology.
Well, it depends on how you define technology. If you look at it from a certain point of view, you could say that each individual spell is a sort of technology, constructed, used then disassembled in instants.
>>
>>81747577
Fair point.
I guess I'm just tired of /tv/ idiots thinking what applies in a film applies universally in comics when Marvel hasn't even managed to accomplished that in comics despite years of trying to make it true at this point.

Then again, trolls be trolls.
>>
>>81747454>>81747310
I wasn't siding with the article, I was stating that it didn't apply...
>>
File: doctor strange doctor fate 90s.jpg (260 KB, 851x563) Image search: [Google]
doctor strange doctor fate 90s.jpg
260 KB, 851x563
How does this go down?

90s versions
>>
>>81745378
The Spectre isn't exactly a great frame of reference, he's even more inconsistent than Fate on the power scale. He's either mystic jobber or nigh omnipotent incarnation of God's own Wrath.
>>
>>81749828
The only way it can.

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMMEEEEEEE!!!!!111!!!!11!!!!!!
>>
>>81743163

This has come up many times but from what I've heard, even Strangefags give the nod to Fate.
>>
>>81749944
Because Spectre has 2 factors.

1. Is he on a mission from God? No? Then he's running at a fraction of his power.

2. Is he punishing someone JUSTLY and is he really going to get away with killing some random criminal who actually never committed a sin? If no, he's a massive faggot in terms of jobbing.

He's basically Ghost Rider on every level except scale.

Ghost Rider could fucking annihilate Strange, Hulk, Thor, Superman, Batman and whoever else at the same time IF they weren't innocent. Strange even fucking admitted that Ghost Rider would have raped the shit out of Hulk in WWH if he even had a reason to do so but because of lolplotdeviceandsupermath, he didn't hurt anyone ever. Not even landed on a car and crushed a kid despite there being at least half a dozen times where Hulk had thrown a car or van at an enemy or caused a stupid level of property damage while people were present.
>>
>>81752599
It was one of the stupidest examples of backpedaling I've ever seen in comics. I'm pretty sure there were whole stories about how many people the Hulk killed.
>>
File: All-Star Squadron #27 - Page 19.jpg (424 KB, 992x1508) Image search: [Google]
All-Star Squadron #27 - Page 19.jpg
424 KB, 992x1508
Figured I may as well just post up the Spectre and Fate fight from All-Star Squadron for reference since a few anons are mentioning it and I have it on hand. It's not the only time the two of them have fought. Unlike what one anon said, Fate was definitely on the losing end, but he does "win" the fight in the second issue by breaking Kulak's mind-control thingy on the Spectre by slipping the Helmet of Fate on him in the next issue.
>>
File: All-Star Squadron #27 - Page 20.jpg (445 KB, 992x1508) Image search: [Google]
All-Star Squadron #27 - Page 20.jpg
445 KB, 992x1508
>>81756618
>>
File: All-Star Squadron #27 - Page 21.jpg (428 KB, 992x1508) Image search: [Google]
All-Star Squadron #27 - Page 21.jpg
428 KB, 992x1508
>>81756640
>>
File: All-Star Squadron #27 - Page 22.jpg (434 KB, 992x1508) Image search: [Google]
All-Star Squadron #27 - Page 22.jpg
434 KB, 992x1508
>>81756653
>>
File: All-Star Squadron #27 - Page 25.jpg (421 KB, 992x1508) Image search: [Google]
All-Star Squadron #27 - Page 25.jpg
421 KB, 992x1508
>>81756734
>>
File: All-Star Squadron #27 - Page 26.jpg (450 KB, 992x1508) Image search: [Google]
All-Star Squadron #27 - Page 26.jpg
450 KB, 992x1508
>>81756765
>>
File: All-Star Squadron #27 - Page 27.jpg (430 KB, 992x1508) Image search: [Google]
All-Star Squadron #27 - Page 27.jpg
430 KB, 992x1508
>>81756785
>>
File: All-Star Squadron #27 - Page 28.jpg (433 KB, 992x1508) Image search: [Google]
All-Star Squadron #27 - Page 28.jpg
433 KB, 992x1508
>>81756818
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.