[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best Batman stories?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 1716999-batman__1940__422.jpg (46 KB, 413x640) Image search: [Google]
1716999-batman__1940__422.jpg
46 KB, 413x640
and why are they 80s Batman stories?
>>
>>81723955
Late 80's Early 90

Legends of the Dark Knight
Alan Grant and Norm Breyfogle
The Peter Milligen stuff

Also Jim Aparo stuff
>>
>>81723955
A natural reaction by Batman writers to the urban decay and social unrest of America in the 1980s.
>>
I've always found it odd that there were apparently great Batman-related runs in the 80s, but they all get MASSIVELY overshadowed by Miller's work with Batman.
>>
>Liking the decade where edgeman begins. You got some shit taste.
>>
>>81724440
>but they all get MASSIVELY overshadowed by Miller's work with Batman

It's easy to recommend Dark Knight or Year One because they're easy to get in single trades that never go out of print.
>>
>>81723955
The one where Batmen visited the Joinker in Arkcum asylum. Joinker breaks out and finds Batfem and cripples her with a crowbar. Then Joinker kidnaps Connoisseur Gormen and takes him to the fair while Batmen looks for them all around Got Ham. Then Joinker makes a joke when Batmen arrives to stop him.

I think it was called The Dying Punchline. It was a really good novel.
>>
>>81724450
>Not liking blue, grey and yellow
>>
>>81723955
Ten Nights of The Beast was one of my first comics, also The Many Deaths of Batman.
>>
>>81723955
Pic related was one of the first comics I ever bought, Starlin's Batman was pretty good
>>
>>81723955
>and why are they 80s Batman stories?

Because they weren't constantly bogged down by massive events, constant crossovers with half a dozen different Bat-family members, and having to prove constantly that he can stand up to superpowered alien threats and instead focused on more grounded and consistent villains and challenges.
>>
To be honest, as much as I generally love those decades of Batman, there was some not-great stuff there. Everyone's mileage will vary, but I found Doug Moench's writing generally overwrought.
>>
>>81724879
How do we get DC to trim the fat of the Batfam or at least give Batman his own book; possibly with a Robin; and very little to no crossover?
>>
>>81724320
Legends was amazing.
I had been adicted to that for the last few days, i liked Batman earth one, and several anons were saying i was a retard that Shaman was better, i got pissed. And torrented the shit out of it... and i have to say now i understand why some people hates Johns Batman. Legends is so different from the normal Batman from the league. Legends is just great, in 2 days it turned me into a batfag.
>>
Are there any tpb's of runs from the 80's?
>>
Moore's annual with the Clay face and penguin stories was great. Ostrander's Gotham nights was great as well.
>>
>>81726023
I think Shaman is better than Year One.
>>
>>81723955
Englegart's run was in the 70s not the 80s
>>
>>81724530
Who the fuck is the Joinker?
>>
>>81724530
No way you mistyped "Joker" that many times.
>>
>>81724530
I love you
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.