[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Personalities in the Comics Industry
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: Geoff_Johns_color_0.jpg (10 KB, 265x265) Image search: [Google]
Geoff_Johns_color_0.jpg
10 KB, 265x265
Bring up a mover/shaker in the biz, share your thoughts, your favorites of theirs, least favorites, see what others have to say.

I'll start:

I liked Infinite Crisis and whenever he touches a solo save for Baz, think I dropped around that time . Never got into it, but as I understand his JL stuff was awful. Why was?
>>
Can't get into him. It seems like action figures being smashed together. Every plot beat and cliffhanger is a character or army of characters sneaking up on another saying something epic in a colorful voice bubble.
>>
>>81713529
It's comics, dude.
Super heroes, no less.
DO YOU HATE FUN?
>>
Johns writes comics for an older generation of readers.

If you're young, you'll miss half of his references and approach to heroes.
>>
File: Grant_morrison2.jpg (91 KB, 449x670) Image search: [Google]
Grant_morrison2.jpg
91 KB, 449x670
>>81713659
I feel like he's a comic book fan writing for comic book fans which is why I appreciate him so much.

This is OP, lemme bring a new fighter into the ring, though I'd love to keep hearing about Geoff. I can't have opinions of my own, you know.

How about this chap? Really couldn't get into him myself, though I have necessarily tried at length to appreciate an entire run. All-Star Superman was cool, if I remember...
>>
>>81713486
>I understand his JL stuff was awful

The very first arc of his JL was terrible, it was written like one of those modern action movies where everyone hates each other and they quip constantly at each others' expense and the villain is kind of a joke and only really exists as an excuse for a horde of monsters for the heroes to beat up
>>
>>81713780
Ah okay, probably a result of rushed editorializing and other fallout because of the New 52. So it turned out okay then? I remember peeping an issue or 2 of the Amazo Virus.
>>
>>81713780
He's writing the Batman movie.
>>
>>81714249

Neat

Hopefully it won't get fucked in the ass like the Green Lantern movie
>>
GOAT
>>
>>81714677
He made TDKSA and ASBAR though. Alan Moore or Will Eisner are better candidates for greatest of all time.
>>
>>81714808
At least he didn't write a shitty fishrape comic
>>
>>81714677
If I'm being honest, Frank Miller is one of my favorites. Even his "lesser" entries appeal to me. He made both Daredevil and Batman what they are today (for better or worse, depending on your taste), and also created my all-time favorite graphic novel (Ronin). I'm not going to say that everything he's done is objectively a piece of high art or anything, but it's always been enjoyable for me. And honestly, in any hobby, if you're not enjoying yourself, you're doing it wrong. Read what you like, you know?

Though, up there with him are both Walter Simonson and Jack Kirby. Jim Starlin's right below those three, as well. Anyone have any particular thoughts on those guys?
>>
File: dumb wizard.jpg (957 KB, 2060x1236) Image search: [Google]
dumb wizard.jpg
957 KB, 2060x1236
Reading through Saga of the Swamp Thing again right now. I think he's certainly written some schlock, but I love this stupid madman.
>>
>>81715486
Starlin was a crazy hippie, but he did write some enjoyable stuff
>>
Sounds like he was trying to write Avengers.
>>
>>81714677
>>81715580
It's kind of funny that the two most prolific writers in the industry have kind of gone off the deep-end with age.
>>
>>81713659
Bullshit Johns is what got me into comics.

If anything using past lore just advertises the classics to new readers
>>
>>81715837
Morrison is more prolific than Miller
>>
>>81715941
ur a faget
>>
>>81715653
He DID write Avengers.
>>
>>81715998
He is check the bibliography
>>
>>81715837
Doesn't that happen with most creatives?
>>
>>81716143
the bibliography says ur a faget
>>
Cereal God is still my favorite writer. I like his JSA run.
>>
>>81716162
Yeah but Miller and Moore have (relatively) remained active and still do high-exposure work that's crazy and/or shitty ala Holy Terror
>>
>>81714808
I like Strikes Again, its gonzo fun and has top quality Question.
>>
>>81715837
Miller is notable, but I wouldn't say he's "prolific."
>>
>>81716250
I think I would like it a little better if the art was less hideous. It's shit though.
>>
>>81714808
Eisner is the greatest of all times, it's gotta be someone who can write as well as draw.
>>
>>81716332
Yeah, it's between Eisner and Kirby
>>
>>81714808
>implying ASBAR isn't GOAT
>>
File: Grant Morrison.png (247 KB, 413x439) Image search: [Google]
Grant Morrison.png
247 KB, 413x439
>>81713767
>>
>>81716187
What
>>
>>81714313
His notes during production were what caused the budget overrun.

Ironically it was probably Affleck's insistence on having Terrio come in, and his own later re-writes of the new script, that fucked BvS.

Maybe two wrongs make a right.
>>
>>81716360
I think it's Eisner because he also contributed so much to the like, uh theory of comics that I'm not sure Kirby did? Like the Will Eisner lectures on design and story-telling are super helpful, and as amazing and the range of stories that Kirby was able to tell -- I don't see him wanting to like develop the thinking about comics like Eisner did
>>
>>81713767

came here to post this nigga, changed my life with final crisis, made me go back and read shit from back in the day, I love everything he writes and I'm a massive Grant fanboy, after Moore this is my favorite writer of all time
>>
>>81717535
Yeah, totally.

Kirby did basically invent the double page spread, and was using splash pages in the middle of the books early though
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.