[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Characters the DCAU didn't get right, or wasted in potential
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: Dr. Scratchansniff.jpg (46 KB, 577x433) Image search: [Google]
Dr. Scratchansniff.jpg
46 KB, 577x433
ITT: Characters the DCAU didn't get right, or wasted in potential
>>
>>81710424
Sinestro
>>
File: Catwoman_.jpg (29 KB, 594x447) Image search: [Google]
Catwoman_.jpg
29 KB, 594x447
>>
DCAU Weather Wizard isn't even worth posting a picture of.
>>
>>81710569
beat me to it

So I'll add Wonder Woman then
>>
>>81710513
On one hand, Sinestro wasn't that great a character back then anyways... But on the other hand, he was the main villain in TWO different episodes (one in Static Shock and one in Superman:TAS if I remember correctly) so they really should have at least tried making something out of him.
>>
I would say Bane but most of his appearances after Knightfall weren't equally great either, excluding Gail Simone's Secret Six among other few examples.
>>
>>81710971

He was pretty great in Over the Edge. Granted, that was a hallucination, but still.
>>
>>81710424
bat-embargo, man. they replaced him with that guy from the werewolf roids episode.
>>
>>81710569
her episode where she flirts with nightwing was great though.
>>
>>81710971
Bane is upsetting because Dini and Timm screwed the pooch on it because NOT MUH CLASSIC BAT VILLAIN. No idea how they couldn't do anything with a concept as gold as "Batman vs. evil Doc savage".

The biggest crime is that this managed to influence portrayals of bane for years in other media, basically making him a druggie Hulk instead of, well, a twisted mirror of Doc Savage.
>>
>>81711272
Bat-embargo

In 1993? Strange is only really featured in one episode and never comes back. He doesn;t even try to become the Batman, he just sells Bruce's dream tape to the highest bidder. The guy you're talking about appeared twice and made it into JLU before Doomsday fucked him up.
>>
File: 1362275690883.png (431 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1362275690883.png
431 KB, 1024x576
Half of the initial Justice League and every rouge that didn't directly branch from Batman, Flash, and Superman were lousy.

>>81710513
>>81710892

Since we're bringing GL into this, can GLTAS count as DCAU since it was made by Timm and company? Does it contradict anything from other DCAU series?
>>
>>81710424

Hal and Kyle, they like combined them together in one guy and didn't know what they were doing.

>>81710513
>>81710892

Yeah I don't blame him. Sinestro is like a late bloomer villain, he was just sort of around until Sinestro Corp wars and then he went from like D-List to AAA-List overnight.
>>
>>81711796

I had a pet theory that John was on the JL because Hal was off doing this he was doing in GLTAS. I don't remember if Kyle ever turns up in GLTAS, but he's sequestered on Oa for the rest of the DCAU.
>>
>>81711676
Yeah, as weird as it is, The Batman managed to adapt Bane better, despite it being an Adam Beechen episode obligated to end with Batman beating Bane and never mentioning his back again, and despite the fact Bane was still just dumb muscle in that universe. As least he did his damn job.
>>
>>81711703
Wow, you really fucked the reading comprehension check.
>>
>>81711703
They wanted to use Strange in a later episode but couldn't because of the Bat-embargo.
>>
>>81710569
Didn't Timm kind of hate Catwoman? To be fair she was a completely different character before Brubaker reinvented her.
>>
>>81711676
>NOT MUH CLASSIC BAT VILLAIN.
Throughout BTAS, it was clear that Timm and Dini had a huge boner for the Englehart/O'Neil era of Batman. Half the episodes were direct adaptations and the rest were strongly influenced.
>>
>>81711703
>He doesn;t even try to become the Batman, he just sells Bruce's dream tape to the highest bidder.
Well that's kind of what Strange did in the original comic. He dresses up as Batman and takes over Bruce's life, but his big scheme is to sell Batman's identity for millions. Strange didn't become retroactively hyper-obsessed with *being* batman until Prey.
>>
>>81712967
Even in the earlier days, Hugo was a story arc villain, particularly the Englehard era Batman. They had no excuse to make him a one-shot joke villain
>>
>>81710424

Most of them, DCAU fags overrate the hell out of a few decent cartoons
>>
>>81711676
>NOT MUH CLASSIC BAT VILLAIN

They didn't have a problem with Scarface/The Ventriloquist
>>
>>81710608
The Rouges in general, in my opinion.
>>
>>81710424
Definitely Cheetah. It's like they didn't even try.
>>
>>81711796
>Since we're bringing GL into this, can GLTAS count as DCAU since it was made by Timm and company? Does it contradict anything from other DCAU series?

Star Sapphire and Sinestro are pretty different in designs and characterization. Though I think Timm and Volpe were trying to stay away from stuff that was done before.
>>
>>81710569
What exactly did they do wrong with Catwoman? I haven't read much stuff with her.
>>
>>81710424
most non Batman or Superman villains, and even those they often screwed the pooch with(it's kinda telling that JLU's finale just killed most of them off so nonchalantly)
>>
>>81710424
>filename
kek
>>
>>81711676
Bane never came off as a mindless brute so he was good in my book.
>>
>>81710424
Honestly, Hugo Strange has gotten the shaft in most DC media. He's generally relegated to stories set in Batman's early years, and for good reason: once he learns that Bruce Wayne = Batman, what do you honestly do with him afterward? You can't seriously expect him to just make Monster Men forever, and at the same time, he can never be allowed to let his knowledge reach the general public or it will completely upend the Batman status quo (and apparently, you just can't have that). You also can't let him take the Green Goblin route by having him torture Bruce by targeting everything and everyone he cares about, because the relationship between Batman and Strange isn't nearly as personal as the one between Spidey and Osborn.

Really, the DCAU got it right: if you're not going to kill him off once he learns the strange secret of Bruce Wayne (see Arkham City), he needs to hand it over to someone who can use it without needing to reveal it themselves (in the DCAU's case, Cadmus).
>>
>>81718005
He doesn't need to do his Monster Men shit forever, but it'd still be fun to have a Moriarty-esque super-scientist at odds with Batman who could, sure, at some point peak in villainy by discovering his identity... And either use that to continue playing the long game against him, or end up spiraling in obsession, depending on how the writers want to top off his character arc.

Maybe you're though, he doesn't really have great re-usability like other Batman villains do, but that doesn't mean he ought to be nerfed into irrelevance just because writers don't feel like giving him the same hype he had in his (admittedly brief) heyday.
>>
Jimmy Olsen was okay in the most perfunctory sense. Wish others saw the potential in him like Morrison did in Allstar.
>>
>>81714639
Was there any connection to her and that Dr. Moreau expy in "Tyger, Tyger"? I feel like that was sort of implied, but maybe not really.
>>
>>81718005
>>81718472

His re-usability should be in blackmailing Bruce and essentially getting away with it. Having the Batman do things for him, where it puts Bruce in a weird position, like stealing some technology or having Strange reveal his identity.
>>
>>81710424
Dr. Sivana? Yeah I don't remember seeing much of him
>>
>THAT WAS THE WRONG TAPE!!!
>>
File: Ras.jpg (59 KB, 400x570) Image search: [Google]
Ras.jpg
59 KB, 400x570
>>81718472
>it'd still be fun to have a Moriarty-esque super-scientist at odds with Batman who could, sure, at some point peak in villainy by discovering his identity... And either use that to continue playing the long game against him, or end up spiraling in obsession, depending on how the writers want to top off his character arc.
Uh... anon?
>>
File: professor-strange.jpg (170 KB, 577x884) Image search: [Google]
professor-strange.jpg
170 KB, 577x884
>>81718005
>>81718472
Deciding that Strange should be a professor at Gotham Academy always seemed like a really weird solution to that problem.
>>
>>81710569
>>81712357

I don't think it would be crazy to speculate that Catwoman was being pushed on them because of her appearance in Batman Returns.
>>
File: the shade.jpg (8 KB, 317x369) Image search: [Google]
the shade.jpg
8 KB, 317x369
It was a fine Golden Age portrayal but where the fuck have ya'll been? James Robinson totally revolutionized the character and turned him into one of the best glorious bastards in all of comics.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.