[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
James Robinson
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: James.jpg (14 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
James.jpg
14 KB, 300x450
How do you feel about his Marvel work so far? When the Warner Execs get bored of micromanaging the comics and go back to making Batman movies, do you think he'll go back?

Personally I feel like he;'s sort of 50/50. I thought All New Invaders was pretty tight, and I'm really enjoying Scarlet Witch, but FF and Squadron Supreme were/are just barely doing it for me.
>>
>>81705784
He's a hack, pandering, sjw. And he's fucking up my waifu's first ongoing dammit!
>>
>>81705784
literally who
>>
File: 9015_400x600.jpg (141 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
9015_400x600.jpg
141 KB, 400x600
>>81705868
end your life senpai
>>
>>81705821
I guess I can get hack, because he's had some real duds in the past. But its hard to say the writer of Starman is a hack... Regardless, not sure where you're going with the Pandering/SJW thing. Never seen him do anything like that really.
>>
>>81705784
Enjoying SW but the rest of his Marvel work isn't really doing it for me.
The guy acknowledges his strengths, its just a shame he cant really play to them over at Marvel outside of 1 or 2 books. Hopefully he can get back to DC eventually(just keep Cotton away from him). Even in Airboy he primarily talks abut DC writers

Airboy had weird pacing issues tho IMO.
>>
>>81705970
I think its the late issues. I feel like the 2nd and last were both a month late. airboy I mean
>>
>>81705784
Do we know specifically, what it was happening at DC that made him flip out and quit Earth 2? Shitty rookie Editors? High Editorial? WB/DC Entertainment?
>>
>>81706230
Editorial at the beginning of the new 52 was pretty shitty and overbearing in general, but I think it was that they wanted a second E2 book starring Batman that made him walk? I can't remember exactly
>>
>>81705963
Starman is overly wordy bullshit. It's all right but c'mon, he had tony fucking harris as artist for over half the run.

He's said the proudest moment of his star man run was that he included gay men kissing. Read anything by him and he talks about diversity this and diversity that. Add that to the fact he's a pretentious, wordy fucker whose plots are darker than shit (killed half of the European Supers in order to make his pet villain look good) and I honestly can't explain why people like him.

The worst part, he's constantly given plum characters.
>>
>>81706230
DC wanted Robinson to write a second E2 book about Batman. Robinson said no since his Batman was only temporary and had personally expressed interest in doing a LoSH-style Infinity Inc. book for E2.
Instead DC then said if he wouldn't do it then they'd get Tom Taylor to do it. Robinson had previously been promised E2 all to himself and had set all of it up himself. So instead he walked and took his notes with him.
Taylor got the main book and the rest is history.

Also the editor who did all this was Mike Cotton, wh was also the editor of Cry For Justice so its clear they never got o
>>
>>81706230
He was a pissy bitch. His first act was to fucking kill the trinity. Issue one. And this may shock some people but Batman, pretty popular. HUGE icon. Most writers would love to be able to recreate that mythos, even to just get the name or the costume. But that was part of the problem. It wasn't JSA, it was EARTH 2.
>>
>>81706563
And as we all know, Robinson's E2 was a bright, sunny work before this.
>>
>>81706471
>Starman is overly wordy bullshit

Robinson tends to get a little purple prose-y at times but I think it works for the kind of story Starman is. It's also what makes his Shade work so memorable.
>>
>>81706606
>His first act was to fucking kill the trinity.

And? He was setting up a different Trinity, and the legacy of E2 Superman, Wondy and Batman still played a huge role in the worldbuilding setup for the universe.Why the fuck can't he do something different when you've got a thousand and one Superman and Batman books already.
>>
>>81706606
Oh fuck off Wilson/Taylor, it was a JSA book in all but name.
The trinitys legacy was more important and he wanted a book where Batman and Supes weren't the center of the world.
>>
>>81705784
He killed Namor so he's cool with me.
>>
>>81706606
You are literally the reasons Elseworlds died out.

Also people liked the fact the trinity weren't the center of E2. Robinson is a pretty respected writer who's already had his hands on Batman at one time or another so why would he give a shit?
>>
>>81706809
>who's already had his hands on Batman at one time or another

The few times I've read Robinson writing Bats it seems like he's not that big of a fan of the character.
>>
>>81706563

>second E2 book about Batman

I wonder if they will try to do this again now with cripple Dick. Is he even popular as Batman? I quit paying attention with World's End
>>
>>81707156
Nope, hes pretty universally hated still.
E2 seems pretty dead now anyhow, even if Abnetts writing is fixing issues. They arent Rebirthing it and its suspected that JLA is just a stealth title for JSA
>>
>>81707229
>even if Abnetts writing is fixing issues

We suspected that Abnett is just a band-aid to get the title limping into Rebirth. Shame though, he seems to have a really good tack on the characters and their individual voices.
>>
airboy is basically him admitting he hasn't done much good the past few years
>>
>>81706471
I think we have different standards of wordy. The prose issues not-withstanding, the wordyness never detracted from the plot in the way that, say, Bendis Dialogue does. I think the selling point of Starman is the main Character is Opal City. It feels like such a fully fleshed out place, and the characters in it just go about their business.

Being proud of a Gay kiss does not an SJW make. Nor is it Pandering. Sometimes I feel like people don't know what those words mean. Having progressive viewpoints doesn't make one either of these things. Shoving progressive viewpoints down your throat and telling people how dumb you are if you don't agree, thats pandering. Thats the act of an SJW
>>
>>81707280
Ehhh, the well is poisoned.
>>
>>81706846
he's not
>>
>>81706606
Do you know what the fuck Earth 2 was for a long time? Just the JSA you casual shit
>>
>>81706809
Buy a shiton of else worlds. Also, some people aka you included, liked them not being there.
>>
File: 1429821955794.png (484 KB, 582x600) Image search: [Google]
1429821955794.png
484 KB, 582x600
>>81706563
> DC wanted Robinson to write a second E2 book about Batman

THEY JUST KEEP FORCING HIM EVERYWHERE

MY SIDES
>>
>>81706653
Memorable is one word. I prefer boring, pretentious, and pedantic.
>>
>>81706471
I'm sure you like Alan Moore though
>>
>>81705784
I like his Scarlet Witch.
>>
>>81706692
Because those books sell, all six of them. And Earth two didn't earn the right to off those characters with no build up. it was bad writing.
>>
>>81709022
Not unquestioningly. I unlike the robinsonfags in this thread I recognize that he hasn't done very much good recently. Moore stopped being good around his fifth or sixth freakout.
>>
>>81709022
>believes Robinson is in Alan Moore's League
>>
>>81709058
>>81708960
>didnt earn the right to kill them off
They were characters that existed for 5 pages on an alternate earth that Robinson created himself. The E2 Trinity werent meant to be characters, they were plot points and theres nothing wrong with that since the plot wasnt about them.

>Because those books sell, all six of them.
Youre right, lets cancel every non Supes, Bat or Wondy book because theyre all just wasting space for other books about them.

He had every right to kill them off.
Morrison killed off Clark Kent on another earth as well and had every right to it.
>>
>>81709201
The complaint can be applied in exactly the same way, Moore has so much unnecessary word prose in his works. He's certainly a more creative, interesting and fun writer, but if overly wordiness is the main reason to not like writer Moore should be shit to you.
>>81709145
>Complains about Starman
>Starman
>recent
>>
>>81709058
>And Earth two didn't earn the right to off those characters with no build up
Kill yourself they weren't even the book for any amount of time, and even so, you don't need to earn the right to kill AU superheroes, especially at the start of a story to set up a new world.
>>
>>81709006
> I prefer boring, pretentious, and pedantic.
I'm sure you do.
>>
>>81709145
>Calls everyone Robinsonfags
>Doesn't offer any rebuttles to defense of his works

I don't think anyone here is defending his JL/Cry for Justice stuff. The whole question of the thread is how his Marvel work is.
>>
File: Godzilla.jpg (1 MB, 1568x1579) Image search: [Google]
Godzilla.jpg
1 MB, 1568x1579
>>81706606
>>
>>81706606
Earth 2 is the earth of the JSA
>>
>>81706606
If you're trying to trigger me it's working

I'm pretty sure I've seen word for word defense of Taylor and World's End just like this
>>
>>81710104
It was nice seeing Mik and Bill be double-interspecies bros, just, nobody wanted it to happen that way...
>>
>>81711846
Wasn't reading comics at the time, So I can't comment too much. As I understand from earlier in the thread, Robinson was working with the same shitty editor that fucked up Earth 2 at the time
>>
I think he's one of the best plotters in comics but his dialogue leaves a lot to be desired. Always feels a tad stodgy or strained to me, never quite natural. You want him to write turn of the century Victorian characters though and he does an excellent job, which is partly why his Shade is always 10/10. I appreciate the love he has for all those forgotten Golden Age characters and how well he handles legacy characters, Starman is a masterclass in that. As a human being he's a bit of a train-wreck even by his own admission, like that time he was so butthurt about how good The Sandman was he went out of his way to be a dick to Dave McKean. But he was close friends with Archie Goodwin, and the surest measure of a comic book man's character is whether he was friends with Archie Goodwin or if he wasn't.
>>
>>81712009
I think he needs a co-writer who helps him with his dialogue. Kinda like Giffen has DeMatties.

Although I guess with the kind of person he is that'd be difficult with anyone aside from maybe Johns
>>
>>81712009
The list of broken relationships James Robinson's had is prolific.
>>
>>81705784
>get the F4 job right as Marvel was phasing them out and had Hickman do their yearlong farewell tour

Obviously karma for Cry for Justice and the following JLA run.
>>
>>81712112

He burned a lot of bridges behind him when he went to Marvel.

I think he's still on good terms with Didio and Johns though, he specifically thanked them by name when he announced his departure.
>>
>>81714028
If the bridges he burned were all the shitty new editors that fucked up, like the first 2 years of N52, its no great loss. I think most of them have been shuffled off to the doomed books anyways.
>>
>>81714134
>New
No, they're bad 90s people
>>
>>81714952
I meant new as of New 52, but I see your point. Makes sense that they would accompany Bob Haras. They probably stick around him like shit in the event horizon of a black hole
>>
>>81714134
>If the bridges he burned were all the shitty new editors that fucked up, like the first 2 years of N52, its no great loss. I think most of them have been shuffled off to the doomed books anyways.

Robinson earth 2 was doing well, then they hired daniel wilson that is terrible and did the world's end that screw up that universe
>>
>>81712009
>But he was close friends with Archie Goodwin, and the surest measure of a comic book man's character is whether he was friends with Archie Goodwin or if he wasn't.

But Jeph Loeb was also a protégé of Archie Goodwin. And he's still Jeph Loeb.

Goodwin had a way of making writers better (though Peter Tomasi, who replaced him on Starman, was also no slouch).
>>
>>81705784
I have hope for his Scarlet Witch, but it does lack some cohesion.
But I really dig his Squadron Supreme.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.