[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So who was the big bad in the DC Universe before Marvel fags
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 250x264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 250x264
So who was the big bad in the DC Universe before Marvel fags decided it was Darkseid?
>>
I guess the Anitmonitor or whoever was the villain of the current crossover like Eclipso
>>
Anti-Monitor. And you say Marvelfags even though Morrison was probably the one that made Darkseid an endgame level villain.
>>
>>81704836
He's being Salty, too many Marvel fans have kicked in his hugbox.
>>
>>81704676
What? Darkseid has always been a cosmical-tier villain, rivaled only by the Anti-Monitor.
>>
>>81704676
>Marvelfags

You mean "Grant Morrison"?
>>
>>81704836
Yeah but John Byrne did it first.
>>
>>81704836
> Morrison was probably the one that made Darkseid an endgame level villain

Actually Final Crisis removed the New Gods from the main DC universe and put them in their own world. Thus fixing the New Gods biggest problem, other superheroes.
>>
>>81704676
>before Marvel fags decided it was Darkseid?
No one is dumb enough to take this bait...

...oh wait.
>>
File: Darkseid_008.jpg (138 KB, 608x922) Image search: [Google]
Darkseid_008.jpg
138 KB, 608x922
>>81704720
>>81704836
The Anti Monitor was an incredibly one-note villain who was only a big thing for one limited series.

Darkseid has been the big bad of the DC Universe for ages and ages. This is beyond dispute. Characters like Mordru or Per Degaton weren't even close.
>>
>>81704676
DC fags did it because they wanted to pretend Darkseid was a great character to piggyback off of Kirby's legacy.
>>
>>81704926
>What? Darkseid has always been a cosmical-tier villain

Darkseid was the villain of New Genesis, mainly Orion his son. The New Gods became less special when he started fighting superheroes

It's the problem with any big ultimate villain like Galactus , Thanos, or Apocalypse. No matter how much build up they have the more you use them the less imposing they become. With each loss their credibility as the ultimate threat diminishes
>>
>>81704676
Darkseid became a big bad in the DCU because of toys. They needed a villain for their Super Powers line and they chose Darkseid, at the time he was just in the New Gods. After that he appeared in Super Friends and shit.
I'm paraphrasing, this is stuff I read in the intros to one of the New Gods omnibus. If it's inaccurate I'm sorry. The point is this has nothing to do with Marvel.
>>
>>81705001
This. Darkseid has always been a shit character tbqf. A good design with nothing behind it that writers have been trying to fill in ever since. That's why Kirby was useless without Stan the Man.
>>
>>81705081
>They needed a villain for their Super Powers line and they chose Darkseid, at the time he was just in the New Gods.

Not really, Great Darkness Saga was in '82
>>
>>81704676

Brainiac 2bh
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 1280x720
>>81705122

we've found it, guys.

The man with the worst opinions on the internet
>>
>>81705122
>That's why Kirby was useless without Stan the Man

Nope. His DC work was better than most of his Marvel work.
>>
I thought it was pronounced Dark-seed and not Dark-side
>>
>>81704676
Antimonitor and maybe Braniac
>>
>>81704676
By default I guess it would have to be Lex.
>>
File: Despero.jpg (51 KB, 300x470) Image search: [Google]
Despero.jpg
51 KB, 300x470
If you don't go with Darkseid, you are left with either Despero or Amazo.

The Ant-Monitor was a one-trick justification for clearing house on a pile of alt-universes, who was diminished by every appearance afterward.
>>
>>81705188
This. I always thought he was much worse.
>>
>>81705280
You know, they should really invest more in Despero, his design is great and he can be used in many different ways
>>
>>81705280

>Amazo

"No"
>>
File: wTftUkn.jpg (161 KB, 1002x744) Image search: [Google]
wTftUkn.jpg
161 KB, 1002x744
>>81705122
>darkseid is a shit character
Name a better villian quote than 3 billion fists
>>
File: Amazo_004.jpg (55 KB, 300x370) Image search: [Google]
Amazo_004.jpg
55 KB, 300x370
>>81705327
If you are talking villains that required whole teams to beat, you have to recognize Amazo.
And I'm talking about classic Amazo, not JLU Amazo.
>>81705247
>Brainiac
>>81705274
>Luthor

Oh please. Without an Injustice League or Legion of Doom or whatever these guys are just Superman villains of the week. You might as well have said Mr. Mind as fucking Luthor.
>>
>>81704676
Stan Lee
>>
>>81705484
Kek
>>
>>81705001
Implying he's not arguably one of the greatest villains in fiction.
>>
>>81704933
More like John Byrne
>>
>>81705198
FOR FUCKS SAKE I THOUGHT THAT WAS A GIRL!!
FUCK YOU JAPAN!!!
>>
DCfag here. Who's the ultimate villain of Marvel?
>>
>>81705155
The Great Darkness Saga was the storyline that REALLY brought Darkseid back as a major villain in the DCU, because even though he looses that story he still wins in a horrific and tragic way.

A lot of the best-written Darkseid stories follow that pattern.
>>
He's got such a stupid name and design, I'm sorry.
>>
>>81709116
There isn't one exactly, but Doom is as close as you can get.
He was Marvel's very first high-tier genius megalomaniac villain and so he gets top billing, and though he is far from the most powerful character among Marvel villains (Thanos for instance dramatically outstrips him in raw power) his intelligence makes him hugely dangerous because he's VERY good at cheating his way to victory.
>>
>>81709511
Ironically he's the one Kirby character that doesn't follow the Kirby rule; the bigger and more impressive your hat, the more powerful and important you are.
>>
>>81709116
Depends. Doom, Thanos, and an AU Captain Marvel have all come close to destroying the universe for good.
>>
>>81709116
Beyonder
>>
>>81704676

I think Super Friends decided that.
>>
>>81704676
Imperiex, Eclipso, Starro, Queen Bee, the Yellow Lanterns (before they became misunderstood good guys), the Red Lanterns (before they became misunderstood good guys), there's a variety of evil alien races like the Dominators, there's Mongul and his family, Brainiac and Monarch
>>
>>81704966

>Per Degaton

Shit, fuck me, I just realized he was in Legends of Tomorrow.

My mind is weird /co/, sometimes I don't recognize names that I read when people say them outloud or something.
>>
>>81709116
Bendis
>>
>>81705001
>>81705122
>>81705893

What makes a good villain?
>>
>>81711267
Depth of motive, cause/end goal you can relate with, and style. He has to be more showy/cunning/witty than others.
>>
Depending on when you include him as a major threat, i.e Morrison's multiversal constant guy, you have MASSIVELY more powerful villains about.

Darkseid got cucked by Doomsday and Doomsday got annihilated to the point that he couldnt regenerate by Imperiex.

Darkseid wasn't good as a multiversal villain until Final Crisis or whatever the story he took over all of Earth and Superman had to whisper him to death. He was amazing as a New Gods villain or in the DCAU stuff but other than that, he was pretty shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 428x287) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 428x287
>>81711235
>>
isnt there some robot that like copy everyone super power?
>>
>>81712650
Amazo
>>
>>81709116
Feige
>>
>>81709116
Probably Thanos? In terms of just how close the universe came to being destroyed, Thanos was the closest to actually making it happen.

Doom just wanted to control the universe.
>>
>>81708817
>the current year
>not wanting nubile japanese boys
>>
>>81705046
>The New Gods became less special when he started fighting superheroes
[citation needed]
>>
>>81711485
Those were projections. True darkseid exists outside of the multiverse and almost sinked it into hell when he stepped inside.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.