[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, /co/, what went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
File: Kung_Fu_Panda_3_poster.jpg (116 KB, 300x443) Image search: [Google]
Kung_Fu_Panda_3_poster.jpg
116 KB, 300x443
Ok, /co/, what went wrong?
>>
I suppose nothing went wrong wit it.
>>
the panda village
everything about the panda village
>>
>>81697571
nothing really. It was a very solid movie. It just got outshined by the zootopia hype. And it's confirmed that production has started for panda 4 and that it, along with 2 more movies, are going to close the series.

My one complaint though is during kung fu panda we saw a lot of romantic tension developing between po and tigress and it really didn't develop beyond them being "good friends" in the 3rd movie.
>>
>>81698024
how?
>>
>>81699117
I'm actually glad they didn't go with the typical romance between those two.
Being a very close friend and being in love with someone are two different things with two different consequences and implications.
I'm glad they left it at being really good friends, makes the story have more longevity for adventure and character development and less cheap drama.
>>
>>81697571
For me? Least favourite villain of the trilogy and the whole "Po finding himself" thing felt incredibly stale.
>>
>>81699117
They felt romance was a cancerous tumor that they couldn't do right, so they only touch the subject if they can make it silly.
Like mei mei hitting on Po and he has no idea
>>
>>81697571
Too much focus on comedy. There were a felt 2 serious scenes, everything else was just played for laughs. Made it feel like the story was written for the jokes, rather than the other way round, which makes it feel kinda shallow.
>>
File: 1457361740370.png (244 KB, 480x368) Image search: [Google]
1457361740370.png
244 KB, 480x368
>Fat jokes weren't too obnoxious in the first two
>Half of the third movie takes place in a village populated by fat jokes

I GET IT PANDAS ARE FAT I FUCKING GET IT
>>
>>81697571

>PANDAS ARE FAT DURR HURR went on just a little too long
>No plausible reason for having forgotten their healing/fighting ways
>Absolute waste of a badass soul-stealing villain from the afterlife
>Absolute WASTE of a JK Simmons
>Not enough Furious 5
>Not enough Furious 5 zombies
>Mei Mei could have been cut out of the movie entirely
>>
>>81699459
I do feel the movie kicked back, relaxed and "let Po and how wacky family do his thing". It feels a lot more comedic and silly, although is not bad comedy per say.
I felt the movie could have been a lot worse but managed to be good despite the odds.
I describe this film as "a lot more family friendly" than the last two.
>>
>>81697571
I enjoyed this movie. There's no problem with it i just was severely disappointed all that relationship teasing of Tigress and Po was replaced with 'friendship' in this movie. I wanted them to go further. Maybe they will in the future movies.
>>
Too long between the second and this movie, so any interest people had died off.
>>
>>81699707
Yea i agree. First movie and very much in the Second movie there was a really good story at hand with some comedy. This movie was comedy with a decent story. KFP2 was tied with Zootopia as one of my fav movies and i had hoped this would surpass that.
>>
>>81697571
They decided they wanted to be less like a kungfu movie and more like a generic kids movie.
>>
>>81697571
Too much time spent pointlessly exploring the Panda village for cheap fat jokes

The whole "dad lied and doesn't know chi" is way too belabored.

More time with Kai would've been nice.

Po becoming a good teacher also shouldn't have been an instant flip when he needed to get the village ready to fight Kai, he should've been noticing flaws and giving advice the whole time without realizing that helping them improve at what they love DOES apply to teaching Kung Fu
>>
>>81700214
This. The toned-down action and easier jokes made KFP3 feel like an Ice Age sequel.
>>
>>81700542

Yeah, and the furious five were more in the background than ever.

Everyone was in the background more except Po and the pandas.
>>
>>81701855
wasn't that the point?
>>
>>81699770
this. They are planning 3 movies already one of which the CEO of dreamworks teased about already being in the production process. So I guarantee on of them is going to explore tigress's pass and their is going to be a very defining moment for Po and Tigress.
>>
File: carlos.png (138 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
carlos.png
138 KB, 350x350
>>81703831

Better Late than Never
>>
>>81703739
Point or no I am now officially sick of Po
>>
>>81699330
I get what you mean. When I said developing romance I meant develop it to the level kung fu panda 2. There was a lot of romantic tension built up in that movie but it stayed exactly the same, or even lessened, in the 3rd. They are writing the characters together in a way that you know will lead to a cute little romance like in How to Train Your Dragon. I mean there is no denying their is something there. Why do you think Tigress is the only one who does not become a Jade statue, and what that intimate moment with Tigress one the piece of debris before Po defeats shen's cannons? The writers are clearly planning something for the two of them.
>>
the villian was really dissapointing compared to long and chen.
loved his theme though.
>>
File: chrome_2016-04-11_12-55-03.png (48 KB, 149x113) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2016-04-11_12-55-03.png
48 KB, 149x113
>>81699322

Tired, peasant/Podunk humor specifically designed to resonate with insensitive Chinese audiences. They let Oriental DreamWorks have a say during the story development phase and this is the result.
>>
>>81697571
Too much slapstick
Kai had a really weak backstory, no reason to become a villain and his whole vendetta against oogway was pointless. That entire component could have been prefaced better
The furious five (with exception to tigress) and shifu were such a small component and got their asses handed to them again
Suddenly everyone became a chi master to save the day
No real continuity between plots from either of the last movies to this one
Fight scene choreography was underwhelming

Also this >>81700214
It's marketed for kids but kids don't like that stuff anymore. Their target audience should be mid-twenties. There is so much potential for this story, I really hope they make up for it in the series.
>>
File: 1391749725702.jpg (93 KB, 369x400) Image search: [Google]
1391749725702.jpg
93 KB, 369x400
>>81703886
Explain
>>
>>81697571
Well, it was the first feature film the Oriental Dreamworks worked on, so I'm sure that's got to do something with it.
>>
>>81704942
>Kai had a really weak backstory, no reason to become a villain and his whole vendetta against oogway was pointless. That entire component could have been prefaced better

You know, someone else had a better way to look at the Kai/Oogway morality thing: it wasn't that Kai turned evil, HE WAS ALWAYS EVIL. It was OOGWAY WHO TURNED GOOD.
>>
>>81699770
>There's no problem with this movie
>i just was severely disappointed that my ship isn't canon
You are the cancer.
>>
>>81705100
Or, and i'm probably reading into this at the basest level here, it's power/knowledge.

Kai wanted chi to make himself stronger. Oogway wanted chi to know what chi could do.

Feel free to ignore me though i havent even seen the movie yet
>>
>>81697571
I loved it.
>>
>>81699660
I never expected or will expect anything serious from a kung fu panda movie... 3 just hit the ideology of such a movie pretty good... I want a good time laughing and a strong moral message.
>>
>>81705493
>I never expected or will expect anything serious from a kung fu panda movie

No but it is what we got in both of the other two films so removing it in the third, when honestly one of the main things people liked was how seriously they took the concept and developed the character, story and setting, was severely disappointing.
>>
>>81699560
You are fat. Get triggered?
>>
>>81705100
>>81705285

damn.
>>
>>81706382
Used to be. Turns out it's not that hard to lose weight.
>>
File: 1450360893843.gif (839 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1450360893843.gif
839 KB, 480x270
>>81706438
> Turns out it's not that hard to lose weight.
Everything is achievable if you stop being lazy ass and start working.
>>
>>81697571
For a movie called Kung Fu Panda 3, it had dissapointingly little kung fu. They decided to go with wuxia magical ki-attacks, this whole sorcery stuff about netherworld, zombies, ressurection, qi energy. The previous movies were more realistic, with good old fashioned hand-to-hand combat and weapons. The whole "mastering of qi" with all that "finding who you are" was NOT well explained, and in the end, came out as a deus ex machina.
The biggest problem is Po. He has yet again to deal with indentity issues and finding his place in life. But the thing is, he had to deal with them in the first two movies, so when he starts the old thing "I don't know who I am, am I the Dragon Warrior? Am I good enough?" you roll your eyes, like, dude, you beat Tai Lung and Shen, stop being mopey and get your shit together, you should be badass by now. The fact that he could was beaten easily by Kai and Tigress makes him look like he not only didn't develop as a fighter, but even regressed from the first movie, when he showed impressive fighting ability in the battle with Tai Lung.
And Kai looks like a copy of Ke-Pa, from Legends of Awesomness, and even is dispatched in a similar manner. Hell, Ke-Pa, was more threatening than Kai, and lets not even start with Shen.
>>
>>81697571
>hating on kfp3
its like you hate fun
>>
>>81707543
I honestly haven't seen anyone straight up hating this film, I personally enjoy many aspects of it but I think most people here just thought it was disappointing compared to the other films especially the Second film (which is close to being masterful in some respects honestly).
>>
>>81697571
More than one panda>>81697877
>>
>>81699770
I wasn't mad that the ship didn't sail, but it felt like their relationship didn't develop at all
>>
>>81708348
It developed as a friendship, the scene where she forces him to focus is the best scene in the film IMO. It shows that she is the more stable aspect of their friendship.
>>
>>81699770
Everyone knows Po should have ended up with Tai Lung
>>
>>81708524
but it doesn't really work as "just a friendship". Especially after kung fu panda 2. There is way to much going on between them to have them "just be freinds".
>>
>>81709555
>"just be freinds".
Why though, nothing about their interactions in any of the films (other than them being the opposite sex) has indicated that they would date, they are much better as friends, Tigress is shown to be emotionally aloof with little romantic interest in him. I'm not necessarily against the idea, just that I don't necessarily think they need to be together.
>>
>>81709717
I guess but there was that whole "holding her hand and staring into each others eyes like it's the big furry Chinese titanic" reallllly seemed like there was a little something beyond friendship growing there.
>>
>>81709717
>>81710371
plus I'm not saying I wanted them to be at fug level during the movie I just would have thought it would have been better to show a little "something" in the movie. I mean why have tigress be the only one to escape becoming Jade and help Po train the villagers? I mean her role could have been replaced with master shifu.
>>
>>81697571
>There is no secret ingredient, what you are is what makes you special.
>...and by that I mean, it's the universe that allows you to accomplish everything you did, because this is the way it was meant to be and if it wasn't going that way then the universe will literally talk to you and tell you where to go in order to make it right. Oh, and there actually is a special ingredient, turns out. Chi! Chi magic, that shit is the boss. Lets you do all sorts of freaky shit, and if you're the most special guy, you get to summon magical dragons and shit! No fucking around, a literal magic dragon. Oh! Also, if you're not the right person, the special ingredient explodes you. Yeah, that whole "Keep the badguy from taking our chi" thing? Not really a big deal, if he got he'd just explode. There was literally no downside to letting him get it. Oh, and also-also, you can come back from death if you get enough special ingredient. So, even if you lose it's not a big deal.
>In short, we hope you didn't binge-watch these movies, because oh WOW does this add some really troubling shit to the previous two.
>But hey, at least the dumber-than-normal panda did a silly thing, that was funny.
>>
>>81697571
Instead of working to learn his new required skill, they used sudden emotional magic to give him afterlife powers.
>>
>>81710602
This guy gets the main problem with the while franchise: why make all this philosophy about being yourself and work hard to bring our your potential if, in the end, he was special all along.
The two precious movie made it clear that there was no secret to being powerful or the dragon warrior or shit, and yet, Po came from a tribe of ex warrior with Chi magic that was capable of awesome shit when mastered, a magic they all mastered it in a few days.
>>
>>81711481
a magic that they taught everyone else to use in the end. You wield chi by being the best you, you can be.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.