[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>a hacky romance author is a better comics writer than 50%
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3
File: marjorie liu.jpg (302 KB, 1024x681) Image search: [Google]
marjorie liu.jpg
302 KB, 1024x681
>a hacky romance author is a better comics writer than 50% of Marvel's staff

I don't get it, why do we still have to put up with Marguerite Bennet and Dennis Hopeless when there's a vast field of prose writers out there that would suck dick for mainstream exposure? Hell, if Dan Abnett's any example, just hire a bunch of 40k novel writers.
>>
>>81696677
Because like any other industry its all about nepotism.
>>
>>81696713
/thread
>>
>>81696677
>comics
>mainstream exposure

kek
>>
>>81696677
Wasn't Abnett hired through 2000AD though?
>>
>>81696822
This. Writing comics is not a big business. Whenever someone big writes comics, like Kevin Smith or Joss Whedon, it's out of love, and it doesn't stick.

You'd probably have a better deal writing hacky romance novels, those things sell like cupcakes.
>>
>>81696677
>just hire a bunch of 40k novel writers

Well, so just do it, OP.
>>
>>81696955
>Whenever someone big writes comics, like Kevin Smith or Joss Whedon, it's out of love, and it doesn't stick.

huh, I wonder how long Coates is going to stay on Black Panther. Because I really liked the 1st issue
>>
everlasting reminder that she wrote a ton of Jubilee/Wolverine fics back in the day and that website should still be up.
>>
>>81697071
At least a dozen but he said he wants to continue beyond that.
>>
Wasn't she part of the Asian American Iron Fist movement?
>>
>>81696677
Because most of these writers have to much self respect to put up with constant corporate and editorial meddling and they don't need the exposer from comics to get their name out their.

Also nepotism
>>
>>81697071
Either not long, or very long, but he'll only write3 issues during that time. I googled that guy, and he seems cool, but he has more important stuff to do. Not that writing good comics isn't important, but you know what I mean.
>>
>>81696677
She has more mainstream exposure from writing hacky romance novels than she ever got from writing comics. Comics are a tiny niche industry that pays peanuts.
>>
>>81697071
He'll write 12 issues, since his first arc is 12 issues long. Beyond that, who knows.
>>
>>81696713
Nepotism is giving jobs to your buddies regardless of ability, not giving jobs to people with a proven track record of getting scripts in on time which then sell comic books.

A writer or artist with a following will almost guarantee a set number of sales to fans regardless of what they're working on. You, as an unknown, wouldn't guarantee anything even if your portfolio seemed impressive.
>>
>>81696677
Dan Abnett's prose sales probably outstrip his comics work, but he's unusually prolific in any case. 40k writers worth hiring would be those who have made it into bestseller lists (as entering, say, the NYT bestseller lists would mean sales between 2,000 at the very low end and 10,000, all at booksellers whose sales are reported to the agency that compiles the list), but as they are bestselling writers it becomes harder to hire them.

The problem of hiring someone who's free to work (not everybody is on a contract that allows them to take secondary work without the approval of their existing publisher) is basically one of cost negotiation. With comics you're talking about a page rate and probably a smaller reprint rate each time the work is reprinted. That has to be low enough that it's economical to print and reprint the work, which means you need to know how much they'll sell (which is impossible, though you can of course make educated guesses), but it also has to be high enough that it's worth the writer's time. If it takes 1 hour to write 1 page (you'd be surprised - this includes research time, scripting, editing, and rewrites requested by the publisher) and you get $60 for it (which is a lower page rate, but by no means the lowest in comics), that sounds great - if you can get a 40 hour week out of that, so much the better.
>>
>>81697701
>>81696677
In order to make US federal minimum wage you'd need to write and be paid for 251 pages annually, with any reprints being a bonus. 251 pages is equivalent to about 10 issues, or 2 trades (trades would probably count as reprint).

In order to make UK minimum wage (where Abnett and most of the 40k writers presumably are based), you currently need to make $10.20 per hour (for workers over 25), or $21,216 annually. At the above rate that's an additional 102 pages, or 354 pages total, annually - something like 16 issues in an industry that traditionally puts out just 12 per title per year.

Below that rate, it's not really worth their time. Clearly you need to offer more than one title, or to have people who have other work going on - but that other work needs to be less lucrative or equally lucrative to what you're offering, or again, it's not really worth their time.

Remember that unlike a minimum wage job, a writer probably has an agent to pay (10 to 20%), on top of tax and anything else. Freelancing is a lot harder to justify at lower pay.
>>
I think you're seriously overestimating how much being a comic writer pays
>>
>>81697520
Yeah, she gets quoted quite a bit.
>>81697229
Really is ironic that Wolverine is one of her favourite characters, yet she hates Iron Fist. For being a supposed "Mighty Whitey/White Saviour", when I'm pretty sure Logan has that in his history when he lived in Japan. I guess it's different when it's a character she likes and knows of?
>>
What's Dan Abnett writing right now? I loved his 40k books.
>>
>>81697749
Wolverine didn't really come back from Japan with a Japanese-inspired costume and exclusively fight with samurai swords, though. Bar a few writers with yellow fever he never does anything but snikt bub snikt snikt bub. He also lived out there and made a serious attempt to integrate, even marrying a Japanese woman and fathering a child.

Whereas Danny is a comic book take on David Carradine's Kung Fu popularity, which was itself an attempt to cash in on the kung fu movie craze but with a white guy (since all the asian actors starring in those movies were owned by mobsters). It's purely an attempt to cash in and the character has rarely been used for anything else.

Except that time he turned into a plant.
>>
>>81697901
It's because he was raised there. When he returns to America, he's not culturally American anymore. The only reason Danny is white, is because Shang-Chi existed.
>>
>>81697749

There's that bretty gud Simonson one-shot that's basically Wolverine: The Mighty Whitey. Right? I'm not making things up, am I?
I think it's called Jungle Adventure.
>>
>>81697749
She likes Wolverine, but I don't think she was a fan of the "The Wolverine" which was Wolverine fucking the Asian woman and killing all the asian men, all of whom were evil.
>>
>>81697798
Aquaman and Titans for DC
>>
>>81698029
>Aquaman

Hey, didn't the last writer accidentally rape Aquaman and then left early saying he was sick and tired of writing Aquaman?
>>
>>81697901
For some "a white guy helping out in an Asian community, while getting an Asian girl" is a "Yellow-fever" power fantasy. Depending on how it's written, it can be that way. Yet, she accuses Danny of being this, when that's not his story.
>>
>>81697798
Jusr read his He-Man stuff. It's fantastic!
>>
>>81698072

Different Anon, but gotta get on this.
>>
>>81698058
He left early saying fans just weren't ready for his run.
>>
>>81697901
Danny is much more complex than that.
>>
>>81698066
She hated the Wolverine movie. Plus, its not something thats needs to be tied to his character, like the weapon x stuff. It was something added after.

I think the general point is that movies and TV won't have the decades of appearances to make the characters more and it will come off that way in a compressed story.
>>
>>81698011
But that's the plot of Claremont/Miller's Wolverine which is a classic.
>>
>>81698202
If she hated The Wolverine movie, fair enough. She still doesn't seem to grasp why in this rare instance, this white character should be cast with a white actor.
>>
>>81698011
>the "The Wolverine"
That's like 75% of Wolverine's good stories in the comics.
He's at his best when he fights ninjas, samurais or messes with japanese women.
He's at his worst when he's on the X-Men and deludes himself into thinking that gives him some kind of moral authority on anything.
>>
>>81698066
>a white guy helping out in an Asian community, while getting an Asian girl

Except Danny's story is basically stealing from an Asian community and leaving it without it's champion so he can go back to the States and murder the man responsible for his parents deaths and then he gets with a black girl

Nothing about that is a white savior
>>
>>81699316
1) Did you read the rest of my post? I don't think Danny is a "White Saviour".
2) He never "steals from Asian culture". He doesn't just stay there for two months, then "steal" the power. He earns it.
>>
>>81696677
She has written for Marvel, and her work was mediocre back then.
>>
File: 185162047.jpg (109 KB, 395x594) Image search: [Google]
185162047.jpg
109 KB, 395x594
>>81699796
her body of work is fine
>>
>>81700010
Is that her husband?
>>
>>81700207
Longtime boyfriend Junot Díaz. He's a good writer and also a big comic fan.
>>
>>81700540
Ah. Cheers. Is he a Marvel or DC boy? Maybe a little of both.
I assume he agrees with her over the whole AAIF thing?
>>
>>81700811
Pretty sure he likes both. Although he talks about Marvel more in his work, specifically Jack Kirby era Fantastic Four. Also a big fan of Love and Rockets and Copra

I don't really follow him on social media so I have no idea
>>
>>81700926
I've heard about "Love and Rockets", never Copra, though. Although, the name sounds familiar.
>>
>>81701040
Copra is a Suicide Squad pastiche. The creator just blends everything he loves about action and cape comics together
>>
>>81696677
Because to write for the big two you have to know all the ongoing plots and wich character you can use and wich status quo shall not to break.

Basically only fanboys can write superheroes.
>>
>>81701278
Cheers, sounds fun.
>>
>>81700010
Her X-23 and Wolverine were shit.
>>
>>81697684
You seem to forget how those star writers and artists even got their jobs before they were that popular. There is a God damned good reason why the line is "its who you know not what you know." Its why you have to net-work to get anywhere in any industry.
>>
>>81701580
nah

they were actually good, but on an industry where Lemire sells more comics than Ewing, its easy to know why she wasn't that popular among capefags
>>
>>81701484
>>Format: Paperback
Isn't that what editors are supposed to be for?
>>
>>81702344
>Isn't that what editors are supposed to be for?

have you read International Iron Man or Angela?

do you think Marvel has editors?
>>
>>81702344
>big two
>editors

Barely
>>
>>81698099
Bunn was so defensive about that, it was pretty funny except it was also sad.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.