[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Strange Magic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: strange-magic-poster1.jpg (2 MB, 2187x3240) Image search: [Google]
strange-magic-poster1.jpg
2 MB, 2187x3240
You know, beside the obnoxious overuse of songs and clichés, I found this movie enjoyable. Did you see it /co/?
>>
Didn't you make a thread some days ago?
>>
>>81677811
I saw this movie today. If there was it wasn't me
>>
>>81678057
Ok
You know in the other thread i searched for some images and i found this tumblr-esque article so if you liked the movie here is some cringe material. Read at your own risk.
http://fabulouslyfeminist.com/strange-magic-more-like-straight-magic/
>>
I wanted to see this because it seemed like good otp bait but once I heard about the overuse of songs I noped out. I don't like musicals in general so it seemed like a waste of time for me. I might still check it out someday.
>>
It was well made and all but the repetitive music was annoying. I don't see how this needed to be made.
>>
I saw it. I liked it. I even like the music, I like oldies.
>>
>>81678340
Do you just spend you life searching for hipster ways to be upset about everything you encounter? Don't you have any of your own thoughts and feelings?
>>
>>81679919
i was searching for images of the movie when i stumbled with the article.
>>
>>81677151
I just saw it recently, thanks to the earlier thread about it.

It's...hmmm. How do I describe it?

It's a bad movie that has terrible pacing and stupid, one-dimensional characters and relationships and incredible conveniences and strange, obnoxious world building decisions and cliches breeding with other cliches and only a bare minimum of logic connecting character choices and there's some pretty incredible mood whiplash and everyone is singing SO OFTEN and overall it's not a well made story.

And it was fucking FUN.

It teetered between "so bad it's good" and "what in the fuck am I watching" with a healthy dash of "hang on a second, that was legitimately and intentionally good/funny". It's visually gorgeous with excellent designs that match the setting well, the settings are beautiful and otherworldly in a magical sense while still being recognizable, it's shot very well (minus that kaleidoscope shot what in the fuck) and the action scenes look good and the same goes for the animation and body language and movements of different characters, (some of) the music choices fit their scenes well and some of the singers were very good (I didn't care for Marianne's voice actress) and some of the characters and jokes were actually really good (I lost it when bowtied-Thang and Stuff serenaded the horrified Bog and Marianne with "I Gotta Feeling") and there are some surprisingly subtle moments that work and, as a sucker for cute romances, Bog and Marianne were actually kind of cute together.

If you took a couple of tabs of acid before seeing it, you'd call it a 12/10, and rightly so. As it stands, it's a 3/10 but it has enough good elements to it that it's still enjoyable. You just have to let all the questionable and shitty stuff flow over you to get to the fun bits.
>>
>>81680253
I think if it had about 20-30 more minutes of breathing room and a more competent director but the same number of songs (and nix the weird "we know we're singing" aspect because that's just...I appreciate that it, and other elements of the movie, seemed to be pushing the sense that the fey world operates differently than the audience's world, and does so without explaining it, but it didn't work here) and a good rewrite then it would be a good movie. As it is, it's not. But it's still enjoyable.

I don't know if I want to call it lost potential, since that kind of suggests that it was only a few changes from being good, but there were a lot of things that were good about it that, had they been rescued and put into a decent movie, would have really added to it.
>>
Alan Cumming did a great job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dp97JMRCTY
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.