[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does Pocahontas never get any love?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11
File: Disney merch.jpg (131 KB, 990x500) Image search: [Google]
Disney merch.jpg
131 KB, 990x500
Why does Pocahontas never get any love?
>>
>>81676361
Why does Belle have sex-hair now?
>>
>>81676361
Shes a B tier princess. They use her after Belle, Ariel, Rapunzel, Merida, Jasmine, Tiana, Cinderella, Aurora, Snow White, and Mulan.

But shes better off than Meg!
>>
>>81676361
Shit movie.
>>
>>81676624
Woah, got some edges there, buddy!
>>
>>81677241
>edge
Shut the fuck up.
>>
I guess she just doesn't sell. You'll notice a lack of Mulan and Merida on that merch too, although at least they have Disney Infinity figurines.
>>
File: Fairy-Tale-Momments_Pocahontas.jpg (608 KB, 1216x2905) Image search: [Google]
Fairy-Tale-Momments_Pocahontas.jpg
608 KB, 1216x2905
>>81676361

She's ugly and dressed in ugly non-European clothes. Girls want to fantasize about being a pretty princess, not this.
>>
>>81677295
No.

>>81677393
I wouldnt say shes ugly, but I think the reason is something like what you said here; she's less marketable to Disney.

Should they keep selling the necklace like they did when the film came out? She'd stand out against the general Princess line color scheme if you just tossed her along with the other princesses. Notice she does get attention in the princess pets line and other toys where they get to make up bullshit.
>>
>>81676361
Why does Belle look like a slut now?
>>
>>81676361
Her movie was forgotten.
And with good reasons.
>>
>>81677843
>exposing her shoulder
SLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT
>>
>>81677843
Because that's how she's gonna look in the live action Beauty and the Beast next year and they want to prepare all of us for the change.
>>
>>81677241
It's a matter of personal opinion in the end, but from a marketing standpoint, Pocahontas didn't perform nearly as well as Disney would have liked and that's likely what played into not giving her as much attention.
>>
>>81677674
>She'd stand out against the general Princess line color scheme if you just tossed her along with the other princesses.
The OP includes a plate with Rapunzel, Aurora, and Tiana together. Tiana is definitely darker than Pocahontas but she's included because she's dressed and done up like a traditionally European princess would be, or at least follows a similar style.

Why Tiana gotta be at the back of the plate this is bullshit.
>>
>>81676361
Because little girls don't want to dress up in raw hide
>>
>>81676361
When (if) I have a daughter, I won't buy her any of this princess shit.

It physically repulses me. Girls should not be just pretty and pink and shit, that's boring.

I will buy her lego, that's better. (And not that faggy "Lego Friends" shit. Just normal blocks.)
>>
>>81678133
k
>>
because her movie was shit
>>
>>81677980
Yeah, I'll agree with you there. Disney and dollar signs go hand in hand. Its why we don't see any sign of Atlantis or Black Cauldron princesses at all.

>>81678084
I wasn't talking skin color. I was otherwise saying the same as you. She has a brown rawhide dress that otherwise clashes against the vibrant color pallette.
>>
Probably because Pocahontas the movie isn't as popular as it was when the princess line became official. They only include her out of obligation now, which disappoints me desu.
>>
>>81677980

This is also why Kida is not considered the first black Disney Princess and why she doesn't carry the brand.

Atlantis under performed, so Kida got left behind.

Characters like Pocahontas though often just aren't strong sellers even though they try to push them. It's not like they didn't try to make Pocahontas a thing. They tried to make Tiana a thing but she isn't really all that strong a seller either. But that of course is because black dolls don't really sell well on the whole.
>>
>>81678326
I think it's also because Kida is Atlantean.
>>
>>81678326
Kida isn't black.
>>
File: Finn-kid-1.jpg (137 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
Finn-kid-1.jpg
137 KB, 480x640
>>81678326
The Finn toys and merch sold great.
>>
Pocahontas was definitely profitable when the line was introduced. If she wasn't, they wouldn't have included her from the very beginning. Before the line got an official lineup they were kinda dicking around trying to find out who would work, that's why Emserelda and Alice among others were on some merch in the beginning. Testing the waters. I honestly think it's more to do with her movie declining in popularity since the mid 2000s than anything else. Mulan just barely gets included most of the time as well.
>>
>>81678401
Star Wars was already a guaranteed success before they even started filming, of course the toys sold great
>>
>>81678540
It still annoys me to no end that Alice was included as a princess of heart in Kingdom Hearts.
>>
>>81678326
>This is also why Kida is not considered the first black Disney Princess

No, it's because

1. Kida isn't black.

2. Atlantis was a "boy's movie" not a Princess movie. Kida isn't even seen until like 40 minutes in.

3. Kida is far too sexual to be on the lineup. She's basically wearing swimwear.
>>
>>81678699
Essentially.
>>
File: Kida.jpg (88 KB, 360x504) Image search: [Google]
Kida.jpg
88 KB, 360x504
>>81678401

Finn isn't a doll. Black action figures tend to sell better than most people like to believe.

Black dolls however tend to end up on clearance due to slow movement. Even now you can probably go to a target and see Bumblebee merch clogging up DC Superhero Girls shelves while the rest of the girls are gone.

>>81678390

You're kidding right?
>>
>>81678814
Dark skin ≠ black
>>
File: 51qjehUFUNL.jpg (40 KB, 405x318) Image search: [Google]
51qjehUFUNL.jpg
40 KB, 405x318
>>81678699

Kida had merchandise marketed towards girls.

Most of the earlier Disney Princess movies weren't exclusively marketed towards girls in the 90s anyway. They were marketed to kids in general and had something for both genders.

By your argument Jasmine isn't a Disney Princess.
>>
>>81678941
Though it's true that she still got merch marketed towards girls, the point is that her merch wasn't included as part of the disney princesses franchise.
>>
File: moana merch.jpg (89 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
moana merch.jpg
89 KB, 960x720
The question is, will Moana be able to make the jump to full princess like Tiana and Rapunzel did or will she be a B-llister like Mulan, Merida and Pocahontas?
>>
>>81679348
Do people even know Moana exists?
trailers for movies coming out in December have already been released but we havent seen a lick of news for Moana
>>
>>81679416

It was like that for Frozen too.
>>
>>81679416
Calm before the storm I'm sure.
>>
>>81679416
They've announced that the The Rock is in it. That's all we need to know.
>>
>>81679552
honestly that might be the only reason im gonna watch it
so great marketing strategy right off the bat
>>
File: The Rock.jpg (8 KB, 268x188) Image search: [Google]
The Rock.jpg
8 KB, 268x188
>>81679624
>Mfw remembering other times Disney has brought in a mega star to carry a movie for the main lead
>Robin Williams in Aladdin
>James Earl Jones in Lion King
>Eddie Murphy in Mulan
>Now Dwayne

You did it Dwayne. You made it to the top.
>>
The Princess line is about selling merch and the Princess dream. All of the princesses are sort of "princesse'd" up for their inclusion to the official Princess line; they are depicted with mire coy, demure, gentle and feminine ecpressions and gestures (even if they acted quite differently in their movie) and the dresses get SPARKLES. Massive poofy dresses with SPARKLES.

Pocahontas wears leather. It's impossible to sparkle that up.
>>
>>81678133
What if she wants to be a princess anon? Who are you to deprive her of that because your father made you dress up as Snow White as he fucked you?
>>
>>81678133
Get her both. Massive sparkly dresses in flowy materials are the shit when you're a kid. They're magical and awesome. Just let tge kid wear her pretty princess dress and then play with legos in it or maybe let her belt out Let It Go while also inventing play-scenarios where she'd kick enemy butt with them ice powers.

But if you forbid sparkly pink shit it'll become the forbidden fruit and she'll become an ultra-cutesy pink glitter-lover adult in retaliation, making up for all the princess stuff she couldn't have growing up
>>
Moana ain't gonna sell much merch

No pretty dress
>>
>>81682652
she'll get one at the end of the movie when she marries wreck-it chad
>>
>>81680173
>leather. It's impossible to sparkle that up.
You are wrong there.
>>
>>81678881

I agree. I'm lighter than Pocahontas and Kida and I'm still a black chick
>>
>>81676361
Because the fact that Pocahontas exists is weird enough as it is
>>
File: Pocahontas .png (203 KB, 238x810) Image search: [Google]
Pocahontas .png
203 KB, 238x810
best pic
>>
>>81683303

Is that an official image? I wouldn't think Disney would hire such a shitty artist. Dress design is good though.
>>
>>81683303
she is really pretty here.
>>
>>81676361
because she is literally the worst disney girl.
literally the worst.
that half rat half squirrel from the goofy movie with his son is better than her.
>>
>>81676361
They'd get a lot of shit if they started selling costumes like this
>>81677393
>>
>>81683303
Where do you think Pocahontas got her hair done? Looks nice.
>>
>>81677911
Good for me! I have a thing for exposed shoulders!
>>
>>81678326
The princess frog was not a very memorable movie. Aladdin outperformed it and Jasmine is more commonly used in merch than Tiana. And she is arab. Maybe even more than Aurora.
>>
File: disney dolls.png (836 KB, 1060x752) Image search: [Google]
disney dolls.png
836 KB, 1060x752
>>
File: disney-pocahontas[1].jpg (49 KB, 636x362) Image search: [Google]
disney-pocahontas[1].jpg
49 KB, 636x362
FUN FACTS!

1."Pocahontas" was a nickname she got as a child. Her birth name was Motoaka and later Amonute (it was common amongst the Powhatan Indians to have multiple names). When she converted to Christianity after being taken to Henricus (a settlement in Virginia) she changed it to Rebecca.
2. Her encounter with John Smith (i.e. her saving him from execution) is under dispute by historians, with some believing that it might not have happened at all.
3. In fact, she want even romantically involved with him either.
4. Pocahontas loosely translates to "little wanton" or "playful one".
5. At the time the Disney film takes place, Pocahontas would've been 12 at oldest. Historians are unsure of her exact date of birth.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.