[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kill all Floppy Cancer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1
http://sktchd.com/longform/format-longform/

Why hasnt the floppy genocide started yet
>>
>>81665902
>Why hasnt the floppy genocide started yet
Diamond distributors
>>
>>81665902
This is the third thread today about killing Floppies.
>>
Are you the guy who has already made like four other threads on this this morning, OP?

Because that one about releases being "seasonal" shows you don't have a very clear idea of what you're talking about.
>>
>Digifag
Fuck off
>>
Eh, I buy trades/novels, and digital. Don't care for individual issues on paper
>>
>>81665902
> The way they come out as a thin floppy every few months or so doesn’t hold my interest,” she said. “To me, it’s like reading a chapter of a book and then waiting a few months to read one more chapter. I enjoy reading a book to have a complete story, even if it is a series.”
>>
>>81666139
Now that's dumb.
>>
>>81666034
Link the others pls?
>>
>>81666166
Yeah, floppies really are a bad distribution model
>>
>>81666221
So the alternative is to kill off businesses!
>>
>>81666252
LCSs need to die anyway.
>>
>>81666277
I agree, money is evil.
>>
>>81666252
>>81666290
LCS are some of the worst run buisness models on earth.

Tpbs and ogns alredy dwarf the floppues because

1. It is a better product
2. A better distribution model

Floppies are a dinosaur, the idea of a conic shop isnt inherently bad, but the whole fucked up system needs to burn
>>
>>81666277
>LCS
>businesses

Lol, they only make money because of dumb collectors buy overpriced products
>>
>>81666277
>memeposting
>>
>>81668666
>mfw I only buy from the bargain bin
>>
>>81665902
Because comics rely on an awful business model.

Companies put out so many variants, number #1's etc.

Diamond sells this and gives awful "benefits" to shops, buy so many and get variants. Since they sell the variants for more then they buy them. They end up with too many things on the shelf.

Shops end up getting screwed by everything - who the fuck would want to own an LCS.

Somehow you would have to dismantle all of it from what the company does, Diamond and the LCS.

How would you do that? Because of the costs of TPB they need to sell floppies to make more money.
>>
Honestly I don't care about the calamity that'd occur if LCSes and Diamond both went under. It'd be painful, but comics could actually pick themselves up as a medium after that and soar.
>>
>>81669269
So basically Diamond is the problem
>>
>>81669269
>who the fuck would want to own an LCS.

A mentally diseased individual who believes in the value of paper pamphlets as solid investments: collectors.
>>
>>81666252
Why do you act like LCS are bringing anything unique and useful to the table in such a way that they need to be saved? If the business was worth keeping, it wouldn't need any effort to be saved. In this day and age, you can just order what you need from 90 percent of retailers. Other businesses have either died or survived this. What makes LCS inherently good? It's not like their death will affect availability at all.
>>
>>81671872
I mean video game stores exists. The idea if a specialty shop isnt itsf bad its the whole cancerous industry
>>
>>81672048
They managed to survive through the used game market. My point is that if the only reason to keep using floppies is that comic stores will die off otherwise, that's a shit reason.
>>
>>81672165
And LCS will survive with toys. the foppies are just a way to generate more traffic and hipe people will buy collector items
>>
>>81672165
and lcs survive through magic the gathering
>>
>>81672340
>>81672360
Then we get back to the original question - why are we still using floppies?

One anon said that the alternative to using floppies was LCS dying and I said that wasn't a valid argument.
>>
I buy for the story and for the collector side of me. I've never once seen a tpb worth anymore than its msrp.
>>
>>81672492
http://www.amazon.com/The-Question-Vol-Zen-Violence/dp/1401215793
>$90.51
>>
>>81672594
First I've seen. The second one of that is 12 dollars.
>>
>>81672594
I saw something on Amazon for I think $7000 yesterday. I forget what it was
>>
>>81672629
Anything HC that is either only in SC nowadays or totally OOP.

Jack Kirby Fourth World Omnibi, Saga of the Swamp Thing, Starman Omnibi, etc.
>>
>>81672594
tfw manara library is 250 dollars
>>
>>81672629
The magic of being out of print. Some books that cost hundreds a few years ago went back down to their $15 cover price with a new printing.
>>
Actually I'm glad to see that tpb are worth more than their msrp. I have a few and I always considered them worthless from a collectors stand point. I'll have to review my collection.
>>
>>81672793
The thing is it's rapidly variable. If a newer, more 'definitive' collection of some material comes out, it impacts the price of what was previously seen as the definitive version. For example, look at what happened to Ennis' Punisher Max. Previously the Deluxe HCs were the way to go, but now the Complete Collection trades are the best format.

Omnibi though, those are generally safe bets for collecting purposes.
>>
the fuck is a floppy?
>>
>>81666221
Same could be said for magazines in general. Why not just release one or two big books annually?
>>
>>81673025
A physical comic
A single issue
>>
>>81672165
Well, if they went ogn exclusive what would that take and what would it look like.
>>
>>81672492
Fuck you
>>
>>81673049
Magazines actually a pretty.good.amount of content
>>
THE NOSE IS EXPOSED

SHILL FOR MAXIMUM EFFECT

MUH ISRAEL
>>
>>81674235
Wat
>>
Floppies provide a low price comic book people who are new to comic books can buy and encourages people to regularly visit places where comic books are sold and possibly therefore encourage more purchases at these stores. What should be done to make up for this if floppies are ceased?
>>
>>81669269
Do you have a better alternative?
>>
>>81675385
they should all go the image route and sell the first trade cheap
>>
>>81672492
The life and times of Scrooge mcduck, almost always goes up in price after about six months past its release. Hell the boom releases sell for 70-90 dollars.
>>
>>81672492
That's dumb.
>>
>>81675385
An actual good product people will go to buy
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.