[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was family guy ever funny?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
File: familyguypetergriffin1.jpg (440 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
familyguypetergriffin1.jpg
440 KB, 1680x1050
Was family guy ever funny?
>>
>>81649498
It uses shitty 14 year old humor. i never really liked it. thought it was complete shit.
>>
Family Guy has always been boring at best and unbearable at worst.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q6rndPvFcI
>>
>>81649498
First seasons are juvenile but can be funny
It got shit really quick
>>
The first seasons were solid. Every once in a while there's still a good joke, but it's absolutely submerged under shitty and mediocre jokes.

Watch American Dad instead.
>>
Everything before it was brought back was good. I think.
>>
>>81649498
Absolutely not.
>>
>>81651948
I think American Dad is has been consistently good longer than The Simpsons was consistently amazing at this point.
>>
>>81649498
it was pretty funny when it started. Thing is, Family Guy was never this groundbreaking show to begin with. It got cancelled from bad ratings early on. Family Guy should of ended after season 3 but it kept going.

Definitely a show that should of stayed with a cult following instead of exploding in popularity once it got revived.
>>
>>81649498
Yes, but then I grew out the sense of humor. It was funny t one point.
>>
>>81652422
If it had a cult following /co/ would be all over this shit. The thing is, it got overrated.
>>
Family Guy was a pretty good show for a bit. The cleverness of it was that Brian was basically a stand-in for the author, and a static Straight man. It helped give contrast for the everyman Peter Griffin.

When both characters were flanderized, and Brain went from being "The voice of God" to Seth MacFarlane's Marty Stu, the show dropped dramatically in quality.
>>
Family Guy was a fairly clever little show, that actually had real quality. What made it work was Brian. As a talking Dog, he was basically an Aesop, being a stand in for the author as the voice of reason and as a straight man, who's insight was to be comically disregarded by everyman Peter. On the subject, Peter was also an everyman, and not completely moronic.

The show went to shit when Brian slowly became a Marty Stu expie for Seth McFarlane. Now, instead of being intellectual meets common sense, Brian is McFarlane shaking his finger at the audience on why he knows better than all of us. From this, we also see how much of a genuine asshole McFarlane is. The rest of the characters were flanderized, and without relatable positive qualities, the characters are just shock value that falls flat.
>>
>>81653234
>The show went to shit when Brian slowly became a Marty Stu expie for Seth McFarlane

Brian is not a Mary Stu

Bad shit literally happens to him ALL THE TIME
>>
>>81649498
it's pretty funny at times but it's now perfect, there will be a good joke here and there
>>
File: mama mia.jpg (43 KB, 493x471) Image search: [Google]
mama mia.jpg
43 KB, 493x471
>>81653731
>but it's now perfect
perfectly terrible
>>
>>81653796
>theres_no_black_in_a_rainbow.jpg
>>
Used to be not so bad
When it kept it's character simple and consistent, and kept their jokes quick gags to rapid fire out.
But now days they don't really try with their episode stories, and often have them write characters conflict how they have been before.

Luckily American Dad kept it simple and short, which is prolly why I like it much more now days.
>>
>>81653453
to be honest, i think family guy would have been better if brian really just stayed.
hell! look at the simpsons, they've killed characters and were never brought back.
you know how crazy it would have been if brain stayed dead, it would been a first in the cartoon family genre, a complete game changer.
and you know what seth had everything planned if this was to go bad by (check this out) adding plot armor.
>>
>>81653796
i should really proof read my shit.
i meant it's no[t] perfect
>>
>>81653234
An actually good moment, starts at around 1 minute
https://youtu.be/tVFp8KTEw-k
>>
>>81649498
It was silly adult quirks in the early seasons, which alot of people found funny. But then Seth began to lean towards dark adult humor/bloody violence for the gags as seasons flew by. Not much of jokes and quirks- just alot of Hollywood references and relying on Stewie and Brian for half the show. Since he made Ted, his shows won't fade out for a while.
>>
It's pretty bad but I do admit it does get a chuckle out of me at least once an episode. Even the newer ones aren't the absolute worst things on television.

Unless it's a Brian episode.
>>
>>81653234
Pretty much this. Brian is a self insert now for sure and you see it at its worst when they do political episodes. And yes Peter is now just retarded, like Homer Simpson.
>>
File: should I jerk off.jpg (49 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
should I jerk off.jpg
49 KB, 960x600
Seasons 1-3 were the prime-age ones, although like every FOX cartoon the first season has a rough transition period until they find what they want to do with it.

Then it was cancelled for two years, so the writers left during that time, which is why Seasons 4 to 14 have been the way they are.

so there you go.
>>
File: 119wjdw.jpg (41 KB, 569x428) Image search: [Google]
119wjdw.jpg
41 KB, 569x428
>>81649498
Yes, it used to be. I recommend watching the first three seasons (before it was cancelled and brought back.)
>>
Sure it was funny, when I was 12
>>
>>81654295
No, this is one of the worst moments. A literal rapist pervert talking down to someone for trying to be his friend.

Quagmire becoming some uptight moral crusader who always complains about shit is one of the worst things about Family Guy these days.
>>
>>81654968
The worst part is there's nothing leading up to it. Quagmire went from having no problems with Brian to fucking hating him at the drop of a hat right after Peter brought up the fact he hates Brian.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.