[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I like this guy already
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9
File: sfp-6-35-for-web-1.png (601 KB, 775x1144) Image search: [Google]
sfp-6-35-for-web-1.png
601 KB, 775x1144
I like this guy already
>>
>>81646259
which guy? whats the context?
>>
>>81646259
Same.
>>
>>81646259
That kid went from Ayn Rand to Vladimir Lenin in record time.
>>
>>81646259
A page that looks like it has characters cast by SABAN to be a multi-racial as possible.
Pass.
>>
>>81646974
Feminist Hero Comix for Mature Adults
>>
>>81651748
Point of the comic, really.

Super-feminist SJW discovers responsibility. Hilarity ensues.
>>
>>81652078
Someone still reads that shit?
>>
>>81652238
No. It's preachier than Watchmen and about as subtle as Stardust. Author wants to have his Mature Comix For Adults but doesn't want to explore any political or social views divorced from his own.
>>
>>81651810
Have you been outside anon
>>
>>81646259
What is he asking for? Her logical axioms? Then why is he berating her for using logic?
>>
>>81652520
Not OP, but I'll dump the past few pages for context. Gimme a minute
>>
>>81652571
Thanks
>>
File: sfp-6-31-for-web.png (553 KB, 775x1144) Image search: [Google]
sfp-6-31-for-web.png
553 KB, 775x1144
>>81652605
>>
>>81652520
His point, I think, is that her use of logic is based off of an assumption; she's setting out to prove her point instead of approaching the matter with an open mind. This is very relevant in a classroom, where you're supposed to be absorbing information instead of contesting it at every step.
>>
File: sfp-6-32-for-web.png (541 KB, 775x1144) Image search: [Google]
sfp-6-32-for-web.png
541 KB, 775x1144
>>81652630
>>
File: sfp-6-33-for-web-1.png (518 KB, 775x1144) Image search: [Google]
sfp-6-33-for-web-1.png
518 KB, 775x1144
>>81652652
>>
File: sfp-6-34-for-web.png (474 KB, 775x1144) Image search: [Google]
sfp-6-34-for-web.png
474 KB, 775x1144
>>81652685
>>
I bailed on this during the long invisible slasher arc because 1) that was fucking long and 2) some of the pages were just nonsensical, like not from a rhetoric perspective but an actual this-is-a-sequence-of-events thing

However I am a sucker for grizzled old mentors and this guy looks like he's seen some shit so I might hop back on
>>
>>81652630
That's a supervillain cane. Like, I'm pretty sure Red Skull had this exact cane.
>>
>>81652728
And the last page is the OP here >>81646259 , story still in progress
>>
Wait, so what are we supposed to take away from this here? Don't argue with philosophy professors because they're kind of cunts?
>>
>>81652764
>>81652728
Also the use of color in this page is nice, like the grey for material Allison is still feeling out academically, brighter background for what she feels very sure/clear of and black when she feels misunderstood/on unstable ground. Even the panel size (wider or narrower) and grouping (reverse to reading order) reflects this, it's neat.
>>
>>81652819
This thread is kinda pointless really. The whole conversation won't happen for a few weeks
>>
>>81652764
He seems like a dick who is very interested in shutting down any of the potential bullshit that happens on college campuses these days.

Not really doing it for me, though it is a relevant subject.
>>
>>81652819
Professors will usually give you shit on a lot of fronts if they think something might come out of it.
>>
Idk, I like him. Yes he's a dick
But that's intentional. The point is to provoke a response, get people thinking about what they really believe
Best way to do that is to piss them off

Idk, he's self deprecating on the material which suggests awareness, and woke the class up. I probably would've enjoyed this course. Probably hate the fucking guy, but enjoyed the course
>>
>>81652636
But contesting something is one of the best ways to open up your mind, provided the person you're contesting has the ability to prove your assumptions wrong. Just sitting and listening is a good way to get the information, but not that good for understanding it.
>>
>>81653013
I'm wondering if this guy is even the teacher. Dude just walks in, drinks from his hip flask, and says the teacher is dead. I'm wondering if he actually IS a villian and is just fucking with the classroom superhero
>>
wait, people still care about Philosophy?
>>
>>81653096
Yeah but he's kinda going about it wrong. He's being very antagonistic and he's in a position of authority over these kids. She's kinda right in that he's being a bully
>>
>>81652819

The sequence isn't even over yet, just calm your tits.
>>
>>81653192
Have you ever taken a college class?
>>
>>81653192
True, but he's getting some chuckles out of the class at least. And he's pressing everyone to express themselves.

So yeah he's a jerk, he just may not be a dickass. We have to wait and see.
>>
>>81653192
No, he's being kind of an asshole but that comes with the position of being in authority. It was good he shut down her implied threat immediately though.
>>
>>81653237
Most professors are nice. Until you challenge their words and beliefs as something other than gods own law, then they get shitting. This is why I vastly prefer fields with objective truths, unlike philosophy
>>
>>81653192
it's he's job. he's twisting a lot of stuff but it's the student's job to wade their way out of his bullshit.
>>
>>81653237
I've never had a teacher be a dick to me and then berate me when I don't talk to him. I mostly got the standard lecture types with the occasional "Awesome History teacher showing up in a toga" every so often
>>
>>81653321
>Most professors are nice.
[citation needed]
>>
>>81653273
I don't think she was implying a threat of that he even thought there was one, its just that her statement had very little bearing on the situation. 'I don't like bullies' "OK, so the fuck what? Elaborate nigga"
>>
>>81653347
i'm adding up to the anecdote.
most professors are nice bar the occasional Grade-nut asshole.
>>
>>81652819
Arguing with a academic/intellectual superior will likley not turn out favorably for you in terms of winning the argument, but arguments such as these are still worth having for the truths gleaned from the argument itself. Arguments are often worth having over difficult topics, because if you do it right, both sides can learn a good deal from each other.

Having a academic argument in itself is valuable experience in the art of arguing, the better you are are arguing, the better you can be understood, and the better you can challenge the argument being made.

I Think, the teacher here was employing a common tactic among seasoned professors to establish academic dominance in the class, and gain immediate respect by intimidation, flexing his academic muscle a little bit. The student took offense to being intimidated, and lashed out, the teacher welcomed the challenge, knowing both that he would gain respect by being the victor of the argument, but also through the argument that the student could better understand both the teacher, and the topic of the class.

That's my first thoughts, i didnt revise.
>>
>>81653381
You need a little context. A previous professor was dismissed for challenging/failing her in the aftermath of her stopping a supervillain attacking the campus. That same professor's partner was killed in an attack she and her superteam prevented a few years back. It wasn't something she wanted but the university did it for PR.

So he's kinda throwing that out like 'Or what? You'll get me fired like the other guy?'
>>
File: 1286321377784.png (39 KB, 460x232) Image search: [Google]
1286321377784.png
39 KB, 460x232
>>81653321
>Get lumped in a different English class at the last minute because the teacher I chose retired
>Look her up on Rate My Professor
>She's rated a 1.5 out of 5
>wellshit.jpg
>Find out her political beliefs
>Drop those beliefs into my essays and statements every so often
>Become teachers pet
>mfw I compare my grades to my more politically outspoken friends
>>
>>81653381
there was no threat but the professor was kinda questioning why people aren't speaking. she says that he was being kind of a dick and he proves her point by dicking her down. is that relevant or what?
>>
>>81653422
Okay I'm just kinda fucking around here. I studied law and most professors would argue all the time but that's because of the subject and because that's their goddamn job. I don't read this guy as being a dick; he's arguing because a college campus is one of the only places you can find where arguing has a point, and his aim is to develop these people's minds.
>>
>>81653463
Oh, so that's what he was on about. I thought he just threw that "you'll get me fired" bit out of the blue like how 4chan reacts at things
>>
>>81653463
>it's a universe with openly accepted superheroes and shit

Suddenly this is like 90000 times less interesting.
>>
>>81653192
>>81653335

As somebody who teaches (but not a full teacher), sometimes you ask those questions just to prod people into speaking. There is admittedly a difference between joking that the class is full of mindless automatons and actively insulting the class' ability to think.

Honestly I thought he was just trying to get them to speak up.

>>81653456
>the teacher here was employing a common tactic among seasoned professors to establish academic dominance in the class, and gain immediate respect by intimidation, flexing his academic muscle a little bit.

Teachers are actively not supposed to do this in classes. You want discussion or engagement, intimidation sinks classes because everybody's too afraid to really participate. This usually isn't even a policy thing, it's just unhelpful for teaching.
>>
>>81653456
>Think, the teacher here was employing a common tactic among seasoned professors to establish academic dominance in the class, and gain immediate respect by intimidation
I always found that unbelievably annoying. I'm already paying you to teach me and you have control over my grade, why the hell are you showing off? It just made them seem really insecure, though obviously I never told them that. I always had much more respect for the professors who genuinely loved the material and did they best to transmit what they knew and encourage debate.
>>
>>81653618
He may not be supposed to but this guy strikes me as old fashioned and cantankerous with little patience for modern teaching methods
>>
>>81653585
Not too many. But she, the girl there, is pretty much the strongest superhero in the world (I mean that literally in terms of strength and invulnerability). She's like Superman.

They have an X-Men style origin where suddenly, a bunch of kids with powers appeared origin and its a recent generation - the oldest powered individuals are maybe only 5, 10 years her senior. The comic sort of maps out how they interact with the world. There's an overhanging mystery about how those with truly world-changing powers - free creation of energy, healing of all diseases, etc. - all ended up dead before they could actually change the world.
>>
>>81653707
>insecure

It is, because this is the only place where people with useless humanities degrees can feel like hot shit, unless they actually have talent enough to write a book
>>
>>81653736
>There's an overhanging mystery about how those with truly world-changing powers - free creation of energy, healing of all diseases, etc. - all ended up dead before they could actually change the world.

Because the author doesn't want to explore those themes because they're shit, I'm guessing. How would you do college drama if world changing shit was happening?
>>
>>81653585
Kinda.

There was this one arc with a hero with Regeneration powers donating organs over and over for hours. A group came in and firebombed her and all the doctors.

The reason why Super Girl here is accepted is because nobody can really tell her otherwise. As a dare she once stuck a gun in her mouth and mag-dumped it.
>>
Okay, so this bitch is in class for all of 5 minutes, the prof comes in and starts doing a pretty classic Dead Poets routine, and she immediately starts arguing with him before she even knows what his point is? Has she never been in SCHOOL before? Never mind college. Jesus shit...

I certainly don't read this comic, but every time I see pages posted, there's always a bunch of long-winded pseudo-philosophical bullcrap sprinkled with the protagonist being an unreasonable cunt in the middle. Is that the point? Is there a point? Because this just feels like it's written by a dumb college kid wanking over the fact that they're in college. Or at the very least someone much older who never got over that feeling of smug self-superiority. Am I correct in this assessment?
>>
>>81653812
It's not really college drama. You have like superintelligence vs. 'normal' genius intelligent, how the first hero team more-or-less failed, what it's like to be a telepath, a regenerator who ends up a serial organ donator, etc.

It's not a bad comic but it could do with an editor. There was one arc that was just fucking endless.
>>
>>81653845
>she immediately starts arguing with him before she even knows what his point is?

He... kinda asked her to dude
>>
File: 1295676387709.gif (2 MB, 371x331) Image search: [Google]
1295676387709.gif
2 MB, 371x331
>>81652728
>"I don't like bullies"
>"OH SO YOU'RE GONNA TRY TO GET ME FIRED THEN?"
>>
>>81653845
>Okay, so this bitch is in class for all of 5 minutes, the prof comes in and starts doing a pretty classic Dead Poets routine, and she immediately starts arguing with him before she even knows what his point is? Has she never been in SCHOOL before?

She has a long-standing habit of taking it upon herself to butt in whenever something doesn't look kosher to her. One could argue that such an attitude is required for superheroes.
>>
>>81653931
Not really. He asked her a pretty simple question and she took it as a threat for some dumb reason.
>>
You can always tell when the author enter the thread.
>>
File: 1351390380543.jpg (25 KB, 569x428) Image search: [Google]
1351390380543.jpg
25 KB, 569x428
>>81653736
>There's an overhanging mystery about how those with truly world-changing powers - free creation of energy, healing of all diseases, etc. - all ended up dead before they could actually change the world.
I know in the comic it's a mystery but in the real world it's incredibly easy to see why they were killed.

Anything on that level of world changing power gets real bad if there is no control or the person ends up going nuts. Unlimited energy man is literally a quasar waiting to happen. The disease girl couldn't heal disease she could SPEAK to it. So sure she could ask ebola to fuck off and it'd listen but she also might start empathizing more with diseases than humans.

The comic tries to make sure you remember that the protagonist is super dangerous and considered a walking nuke by a lot of people but she doesn't hold the slightest candle to those two people.
>>
>>81654035
it sort of makes sense in context
>>81653463
>>
That's a girl?
>>
File: 1440538014905.jpg (147 KB, 500x730) Image search: [Google]
1440538014905.jpg
147 KB, 500x730
>>81654077
>I don't like thing
>thus only the creator could possibly have anything nice to say about it
>>
>>81654077
I really doubt the author of a comic called Strong Female Protagonist browses 4chan
>>
>>81654077
That is the only time when we have a thread about this comic at all.
>>
>>81654212
Oh, so the professor is a cackling, cane wielding supervillain because he is a supervillain. Hegemaniac: Agent of P.A.T.R.I.A.R.C.H.Y. or something. If we had known that from the beginning we could have skipped the whole confusion.
>>
>>81654212
You'd be surprised at who visits /co/mblr
>>
>>81652238
I only sort of keep up with it to see where it is going.
It was sort of fun to watch in the begging when it was more about like what makes a hero a hero sort of thing.
Like the person in the comic that was basically a female Wolverine decided to become a living organ donor, cause you could harvest any of there organs and it would regenerate back. Plus thanks to there healing factor thing the organs where like 100% compatible with any person.
Now it's all female SJW stuff but I hope something changes here in a bit.
>>
>>81646259
That beard only serves to make the teacher look like he huffs paint.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.