[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: We Celebrate X-Men (1963-2016)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9
File: 1459673285148.jpg (71 KB, 630x968) Image search: [Google]
1459673285148.jpg
71 KB, 630x968
With the X-Men set to be canceled for the same reason as the Fantastic Four, I thought it would be a neat idea to just have a thread where we talk our favorite X-related stuff.

Post all your favorite moments. Your best X-memes. Whatever x-men stuff you like.

This is one of the last X-Men generals that will have ongoing comics running at the same time.

We'll still have threads after the books stop being made, but it won't be the same.
>>
>>81631103
>With the X-Men set to be canceled for the same reason as the Fantastic Four
Eh, I still feel like they are just baiting fans to create more drama for easy advertising. I doubt anything will come of this. Just look at Secret Wars ("It's totally a reboot, you guys.").
>>
>>81631256
They said Secret Wars wasn't a reboot from the jump.
>>
>>81631103
Part of me thinks theyre gonna section X-men off into their own universe where its just humanity and mutants.
And id be okay with that i think.
>>
>>81631103
If anything just a few characters too linked with the saga like Cyclops and Prof. X will be gone. Jean too probably. The rest who have created ties with the wider Marvel Universe and are famous anywhere (Wolverine, Storm, Kitty, Rogue, Beast, Psylocke, Emma, Cable, Deadpool) will go and stay on other franchises. In general the characters and writers matter more than the title of a comic series.
>>
>>81631871

yeah but even if they did do that you know it'd be a year at most before that universes avengers started showing up and ruing the whole damn thing.
>>
>>81631871
That would be a good thing, but if they were gonna do it they would do it after Secret Wars. Although they killed off Wolverine, arguably their most popular mutant, so they aren't afraid to lose him in the main universe.
>>
what if they send the muties to their own planet?

IIRC, the last issues of Remender Uncanny Avengers were when Wanda and Quicksilver discovered they were created by the High Evolutionary, and his planet now musy be empty.
>>
>>81632184
>aren't afraid to lose him in the main universe.
>basically made two of him since
I know x23 isn't Logaan but her first arc is playing parent to some girls.
>>
File: sad bret.gif (1 MB, 200x184) Image search: [Google]
sad bret.gif
1 MB, 200x184
>>81631103
>minority group survives decades of conflict only to be destroyed quietly by Jews

Truly they were a metaphor of us all.
>>
>>81631945
This is what is happening.

Like the F4, like Kitty, Rogue and Beast currently, a huge swath of the franchise will be taken out with the major characters who survive being split into the Avengers/Inhumans books. The hope is that X-Men readers will just pick up the Avengers/Inhumans books to follow whatever minimal list of characters is still around after the cancelation story.

"Want to read about Magik? Well you better pick up Astonishing Avengers, starring Captain America, Black Panther, Vision, Iron-man, Scarlet Witch and with appearances by Magik."
>>
What I don't get is why marvel doesn't view the X-men and F4 movies as free advertising for their comics.

People who go see the X-men movies will want to read a comic if they like it enough. Just capitalize on that instead of forcing movie syngery
>>
>>81632527
>apoc event covering all the x-books
>several dead pool books
>apoc is the villain of 92
They are doing that, and I doubt the line will be cancelled. If anything cyke is down because how much he gets shafted in the movies.
>>
>>81631103
>>81632373
So wait, will they relaunch the 'x-men' as Inhumans instead? So will Cyclops be the main strategist and general for Black Bolt? I would love for a young inhumans series similar to X-men: Academy X and New X-men.

Hellion and X-23 could maybe start dating again as inhumans while Elixir tries to work with Beast to perfect the mist treatments to make it a 100% process with no chance of error. Pixie, Mercury, and Crystal all going shopping would be fun.
>>
The X-Franchise has been dead for over a decade, I pray the rumor that the mutants are getting their own universe apart from 616 is true.

Go back to stories that weren't "die muties die" every single issue! Make mutants an urban legend again. I want space adventures, savage land, mythological horrors and fantasy realms. I want volcanic lairs, eerie swamps, foggy highlands, island death traps, etc. I want globe trotting adventure...just cool down the constant us vs the world drudgery. No more dead school children and religious zealots preaching genocide, no more schisms or mutant power.

The X-Men used to have a variety of stories to tell. The last 10+ years has been "God loves, man kills" on repeat like a bad rerun.
>>
>>81632715
This would be amazing, you could even have humanity being pro-mutant for a little bit with the anti-mutants being the extremist groups and hate groups.
>>
>>81631103
Anything from 70's-early 90's era of X-men will always be the bets
>Wolverine pulling a Dirty Harry
>That one issue where Nightcralwer befriends a cancer patient
>more likeable Cyclops
>goat villains
>based Mags
I also liked Grant Morrison's run
>>
>>81632709
Go die in a fire.
>>
>>81632715
no more mutants
Are you Wanda?
>>
>>81632338
Kek'd
>>
>>81632715

It would sure be nice to go hang out in the Shi'ar empire again.

Im still bummed the X-kids never got to go to space
>>
>>81632373
But currently Rogue and Deadpool are the most important characters of Uncanny Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy is the Kitty Pryde show.
>>
>>81632909
well one of em did.
>>
>>81632276
They are just milking that Logan cow. They still killed him off
>>
>>81632184
>they killed off Wolverine
Yeah, and replaced with an older version of himself and a female version of himself. They killed Wolverine and replaced him with two other Wolverines. His healing factor is so powerful that it can cause him to metatextually multiply.

Also, frankly, by the time they killed Wolverine, he was fucking awful. Nothing but a huge, hateful hypocrite. It started with becoming an Avenger, but the second the pulled the schism shit, he became irredeemable. Old Man Logan at least is divorced from all that shit. X-23 being Wolverine has been pretty uninspired so far, but it got us an X-23 series out of it.

Though Cyclops, Xavier, and Wolverine all being "dead" at the same time really does feel fatalistic.
>>
>>81632715
The constant "extinction" thread was and is an aim to push readers off the lion) books.

They went right back to that shit a year after the fucking decade-long plot was resolved.

They tried killing interest and that didn't work so now they are just going to cancel the books straight up.

"Books have to be able to pull their own weight. X-men just didn't sell well enough." will be Marvel's excuse.

We've seen this movie before.
>>
>>81632996
The killed him off but they clearly weren't ready to lose the sniktbub audience and the same is likely true of the muggas.
>>
>>81632271
That was the original plan Remender was going to go with for the X-men franchise for his run. Because of the Terrigen Mist poisoning the Earth for mutants, they fuck off to Planet X like they did in the future timeline earlier in the run. We probably would have gotten certain mutants staying behind on Earth if people wanted to use them, then the main X-books taking place on Planet X. Then Remender left Marvel, the X-men job was handed to Lemire, and here we are.

Oh what could have been.
>>
>>81633027
My point is that they killed the iconic mutants, Wolverine, Cyclops, Xavier. They still haven't brought them back, not the originals. So making a separate mutant universe would make sense.
>>
>>81632647
>teen Cyclops in the movie
>kill off adult Cyclops and replace him with teen Cyclops in the comics
Goddammit. Is this what syngery feels like?
>>
>>81632996
>tfw corpse milk
>>
>>81631871
People who like this concept need to be shot your just as bad as the writers to lazy to make the x-men fit
>>
>>81631871
Killing Wolverine was a blatant cash grab. A 3.99 Weekly series, tie-ins and one-shots fucking everywhere, and the mini itself.
>>
>mutants are an analogue for minorities and their struggles
>marvel does several events about how mutants should go extinct or fuck off to another planet

what did marvel mean by this?
>>
>>81632527
>People who go see the X-men movies will want to read a comic if they like it enough
Problem is that normies get intimidated by the characters long and convoluted histories. Honestly only indies make a buck from adaptations.
>>
>>81633332
Seriously the other day I was searching of clickbait articles of "MARVEL IS LITERALLY GASSING A MINORITY IN THE COMICS" but I couldnt find anything.
>>
File: sad bb.png (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
sad bb.png
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>81632709
not sure if want
>>
>>81633310
They never did fit. They don't make sense as theyre designed in a universe full of other super powered people and crossovers with the super hero world at large has always been idiotic.

The only way to make the mutants 'fit' in with everything else is to remove the hated and feared element of mutants. which would thus render them meaningless as separate from just regular ole people with powers.
Having them in their own universe opens up new and different possibilities and effectively removes them from the typical super hero dynamic altogether which is when they're most interesting.
>>
>>81633310
Actually, this is the way things should be.

X-men stories have too much potential to be tied to Marvel's other capeshit.

And do we really wish there was some other random comedy heroes around to solve the X-Men's problems?

X-Men doesn't match Marvel's goofiness and is hindered by it, in terms of the stories and the annoying executives who are obsessed with having everything revolve movie properties.
>>
>>81633406
I do remember something like that, but it was worded a little more nicely. Something like marvel not understanding the implications of what they're doing when they push Inhumans over X Men.
>>
>>81633990
Like I said lazy you can easily make them hated and still fit in the larger universe it just takes some imagination

I know that must be hard
>>
>>81632709
Sounds terrible largely because most of that doesn't require them to stop being mutants and why would they need a cure if they became Inhumans? It would suck for both fanbases.

>Cyclops be the main strategist and general for Black Bolt

BB isn't king and I don't think a bar needs a general.
>>
>>81633310
So what do they gain from sticking around? Cross overs? People are bitching right now in this thread about when x-characters get put on others books, so why complain when that they gets drawn into other's shit but also complain when they get left out.
>>
>>81632715
>Make mutants an urban legend again.
For fuck sakes. This is why X-man sucks now. There is no fowards momentum, nor progression.
Stop forcing mutants as second class citizens, that has gotten boring since the 90s. They could have at least pushed the metaphor in interesting way, like making a mutant culture revolution, like there is with Gay/Blacks, but they don't bother so the shit gets boring.
>>
>>81631103
When the heck marvel is going to stop being petty about fox having the movie rights?

It's seriously getting ridiculous at this point.
>>
>>81634062
link ? name of the website ? anything ?
>>
>>81634142
Good job ignoring the broader of point of them not making sense.
Give me one way mutants make sense being despised for being different when so many others are already different and not despised in a manner that makes sense consistently over the long run.
>>
>>81634499
then what do you want.

>People start accepting x-men and embracing them like in the one of the Kingdom during secret wars.

If that happen then the only reason the x-men have to fight is to protect the world and that is something the avengers are suposse to do.
>>
>>81634510
Not really petty when they are trying to create a cinematic universe, and Fox is doing everything it can to burn the properties they own to the ground. You have comic stories that include mutants and have them doing crucial things, but those mutants can't be included in movies. You have mutants on the Avengers, but besides SW and QS those mutants can't be on the teams.

It sucks, and it is Fox's fault because they hate Marvel enough to hold onto those properties and try to break them apart.
>>
>>81634864
Oh my god how fucking delusional. I'm sorry but listen to yourself. Fox owns the rights and makes a profit from them. It isn't malicious because they won't give them back to marvel. Fox is an entity designed to make money so they use this IP which is very popular to make movies which make them money.

Marvel however isn't forced to fuck up x-men in the comics to undercut their competition because they don't want fox turning as good a profit. Fox didn't force them to do that. They simply purchased the rights marvel SOLD to them and used them as intended and now marvel regrets that and is fucking over fans of those books because if they can't have the x-men movie rights noone will have the x-men at all.
>>
>>81634864
The X-men at least make fox money but each F4 movie has been worse than the last. They keep the F4 rights purely for spite.
>>
>>81634864
>this is what Marlel shills and MCUcks believe
>>
>>81634864
You're a fucking idiot. Your shit opinion aside, you want one business to give up rights it legally and FAIRLY purchased in order to gift them to another company that already controls most media and doesn't have enough competition.

The day Fox should have to give rights back is the same day those rights should be transferred to the creators.
>>
>>81634499
I think you're a bit confused there friend because you are advocating the "mutant rights" storyline...which has been the main focus of the X-Franchise for the last 20 years (the last 10 years it's been the focus 95% of the time).

We've been exploring it for so long it's gone from a poor analogue of black rights to gay rights to anti-muslim hysteria, and everything in between. They explored every angle there is to explore. Mutants were 50/50 loved/hated, they were depised by humanity and driven to the brink of extinction, they triumphed over humanity and bent them to their will, etc.

You have two directions to move in, each carrying negative and positive points. Go back to before the conflict or push forward past the conflict.

>Go back to the roots of the franchise.
The mutant population is fairly small and virtually unknown to 90% of the planet. They move about in secret and spend most of their time investigating potential mutant sightings, which turn about to be aliens/monsters/dinosaurs/robots/vampires/magic beings/etc. When they are found by humanity they are greeted with a myriad of reactions some positive, some negative. The mutant rights story is still there but it's in the background. Biggest drawback to this approach is that we've already enjoyed this story and eventually we'll get back to where we are.

>Achieve an everlasting peace with humanity.
Mutants are accepted by all but the most backward crazies. Mutants are no longer forced to endlessly confront bigotry over and over again. They can now pursue new horizons of adventure. Biggest drawback is that you've effectively removed one of the fundamental conflicts in the story. Also, anything you replace it with will likely be similar to the non-mutant rights storylines that permeated the 70's and 80's stories that you were trying to avoid retreading. Once you remove that underlying conflict are they really even the X-Men anymore?

...or you just keep telling the mutants rights storyline
>>
>>81635769
People forget that in the run that made the X-Men popular for the first time, Claremont/Byrne, anti-mutant prejudice was barely touched on. Days of Future Past was the first and last storyline that team ever did about that subject and it was only two issues.

They did a lot of different kinds of storylines with an emphasis on space opera, globetrotting adventure, and fighting other, more evil mutants (which is the original purpose of the X-Men anyway).

X-Men has become associated with the anti-mutant stuff partly because it meant so much to young people who felt different, especially young gay people (I know a gay guy who loved the Legacy Virus story as a kid because there was not much pro-gay mainstream material he could read at the time).. But it's limited the range of the series, when the whole reason it broke out is that it had a wider range of stories to tell than the other comics of the time.
>>
File: tumblr_mvkfycTq261sp1wslo1_1280.jpg (519 KB, 700x943) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mvkfycTq261sp1wslo1_1280.jpg
519 KB, 700x943
>>81633027
>It started with becoming an Avenger
Hahahaha, no.
>>
>>81631103
>X-Men (1963-2016)
More like, X-Men (1975-1991)
>>
File: 1458714896726.jpg (88 KB, 340x480) Image search: [Google]
1458714896726.jpg
88 KB, 340x480
>>81635025
If anyone is petty, it's fucking Marvel right now. But what else is new?
>>
>>81636549
I wonder if there's anything to the idea that the MCU killed Quicksilver because Fox was using him.

I mean maybe not, because the plan to kill him was probably in the script before Fox announced it wanted to use the character, but Marvel wants so much to spite Fox that I wouldn't put it past them. (Whether Fox put Quicksilver in to spite Marvel, I don't know.)
>>
>>81636692
Whedon apparently claimed Marvel made him kill him.
You know that's the problem, they are too focused on their movies now and thus turn their comics into vehicles for the movie. Hence why they are fucking over the FF and X-men. Or have Star-Lord around for their Civil War 2 event.
>>
>>81636223
...yeah, that's precisely what I am advocating for.

A return to the days where the X-Men were globe(and space)-trotting adventurers/investigators. I thought that was obvious...no?

It's a bit of a lie to say that the mutant/human conflict was limited to "Days of Future Past" though. I think "God Loves, Man Kills" was a bigger contributor to the endless stories that came later. It was a separate story from the Claremont run but it came during his defining era and it arguably contributed more to the tone of the last 10~15 years of mutant hate stories than anything else.

They also touched upon the conflict occasionally with Kitty "are you a nigger" Pryde being the mouthpiece against mutant oppression. Let's not forget that the conflict was also explored during the original run pre dating Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne with the sentinels.

I don't think we need to remove the mutant rights story entirely...just dial it down to a very occasionally utilized threat. Call me old fashioned or regressive but I liked the X-Men better when they weren't one-note cynical depressed murderers. Hey remember when Professor X wasn't Hitler and Cyclops wasn't Bin Laden?
>>
Meh, whatever happens will be undone y the time Disney buys back their properties.

So, like 10-20 years?
>>
>>81634864
You are a retarded fucking faggot.
>>
File: 1454176036316.jpg (569 KB, 2000x1900) Image search: [Google]
1454176036316.jpg
569 KB, 2000x1900
>>81631103
>With the X-Men set to be canceled

>he really thinks the X-Men are getting canceled
>>
>>81637353
Because they are.

F4 wasn't a high seller, but they put it stuff that sells waaay worse. It went away because muh movies and the X-Men are in the same boat.
>>
>>81637353
Put your name back on CQC Bro.
>>
>>81637156
but it is not them who are Hitler, it is Wanda and Black Bolt.
The issue is genociding mutants in the Marvel universe has no consequences.
I mean, Black Bolt poisoned and sterilized all mutants, and he is just a hero with a bar now.
>>
>>81637689
Didn't they blame the bomb on Maximus?
>>
File: Mr_350ArnoldVosloo.jpg (11 KB, 550x242) Image search: [Google]
Mr_350ArnoldVosloo.jpg
11 KB, 550x242
>Death of X
>months later Fox and Disney agree to share movie rights
>Marvel fucking panics and scrambles to undo this
>>
>>81637738
jej
>>
>>81637156
I agree God Loves, Man Kills is a big influence but that was after Byrne left.

Claremont's original run did not go overboard with the mutant persecution angle, but it did seem to get played up a lot in crossovers and things like that.
>>
>>81637738
I want this to happen
>>
File: 1460240939869.png (53 KB, 360x171) Image search: [Google]
1460240939869.png
53 KB, 360x171
OH BOY I LOVE INHUMANS
>>
@81637854
Bloopity bloo, you don't get a (You)!
>>
>>81635025

Not that anon, but FOX is very much composed of shitheads who are always loathe to sell off any rights.

They'd rather churn out a cheap film they know won't do well, then chance someone else doing better.

Mark my words Deadpool 2 will have a ton of meddling from higher ups.
>>
>>81637689
Nope, the damage was done long before Wanda and Blackbolt made their appearances.

Xavier sent an inexperienced young team to rescue his original students, they all died...so he just rounded up another rookie group and sent them to. He also wiped Magneto's brain and had a mental breakdown turning him into Onslaught, which led to the temporary deaths of earth's greatest heroes. He also lusted after prepubescent Jean Grey. He also tried to kill his twin sister in utero.

Cyclops ditched his wife and child to galavant around with his resurrected first love. Later he mentally cheated on his first love with Emma and lusted over psylocke. He created a black ops team dedicated to killing threats before they arose. I don't even need to bring up schism, AvX, killing Xavier, etc. he's been a scum bag for years before that.
>>
>>81637854
>>81637922
you didn't quote him right anon, I'll help you out :^)
>>
>>81637729
Karnak pointed out that it had to be a collaboration between the two, they just didn't know why. Now everybody knows it was him but I don't think regular humans know it was on purpose.
>>
>>81638314
psht....jean was pubescent when he lusted after her.
>>
>>81635025
I was inclined to believe the Marvel sabotaging the X-Men thing, but they seem to keep pushing Deadpool even though he's now a guaranteed moneymaker for Fox. Though maybe Marvel will stop pushing Deadpool comics as well.
>>
>>81632709
And they'll call themselves the Ex-humans!
>>
>>81636255
He just likes trying to kill Phoenixes, that's what it is.
>>
>>81638923
It could be Deadpool comics are doing so well for them that they can't get away with downplaying him.

If the X-Men comics were still the flagship sellers for Marvel they'd probably have to bite the bullet and push those, too. They can get away with destroying mid-tier sellers.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.