[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT (That I tried last night, to little avail): What the hell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: waltergetsmask3.png (730 KB, 516x567) Image search: [Google]
waltergetsmask3.png
730 KB, 516x567
ITT (That I tried last night, to little avail): What the hell exactly was Walter, anyways?

I got a few answers saying he was generally someone in sync with his body and mind, but does he really seem that well-balanced?

I thought initially that maybe he's already under the influence of another artifact like the mask, but nothing specifically goes to show that.

Theories, anybody?
>>
>>81620854
His head is too big for the mask.
>>
If Mask is supposed to be like the real world manifestation of a Daffy Duck or Bugs Bunny, Walter is like Gossamer or a bull.
No real explanation other than being the one major obstacle that the hero character must face.
>>
>>81620854
It's simple: Walter didn't have a sense of humor.
>>
>>81621081
strikes me as the best explanation
>>
>>81620907
>His head is too big for the mask.

This.

That was the joke. Walter spent three volumes trying to get the mask, and when he finally got it at the end, it didn't fit.

But I forgot. Autistic people have a problem understanding jokes. I'm sorry for your disability, OP.
>>
The mask is supposed to bring out people's inner hidden desires and emotions in order to work. Walter doesn't hide what he wants or is feeling so it will not work for him. That's just my take on it anyway.
>>
Movie was better
>>
>>81621105
That's nonsense. We even saw animals using the mask eventually.
>>
>>81621105

The mask reshapes to the wearer.

I like the explanation that he didn't have a sense of humor. Or rather his emotions and desires were always at face level so he had no hidden potential to bring out.
>>
File: 1452903163131.gif (704 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1452903163131.gif
704 KB, 320x240
>>81621211
I wonder what would happen if I wore the mask?
>>
>>81621256

People would care who you are.
>>
>>81620854
>>81621081
>>81621117
I say it's all three.

Walter is a joyless bore, he is himself and does not have hidden desires to expand upon and the mask did not fit because, in a monkey paw fashion that the mask represents, what's funnier than having someone get what he wanted and not allow him to use it?

That also makes Walter immune to most of Mask's powers and a perfect, humorless foil for a character based on comedy.
>>
File: 1452081641589.png (274 KB, 739x739) Image search: [Google]
1452081641589.png
274 KB, 739x739
>>81621287
>>
File: .jpg (117 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
117 KB, 600x800
IIRC the official explanation was that Valter has a ill-developed brain, something like the lack of a cortex. He doesn't have a personality, emotions, feelings or anything like that, so the mask doesn't work with him.
>>
>>81621302
Walter already acts as if he had the Mask on permanently. And he has a ton of self control and no repressed feelings.

The mask itself saw him as a rival, not as a host.

Remember that episode in the cartoon when Ipkiss tried "reverse psychology" and basically started acting like the Mask would in real life? He got any girl he wanted, became the boss at work, even his land lady stopped being mean to him. But he had to go being a joyless bore because the Mask stopped working.
>>
>>81621432
>Walter already acts as if he had the Mask on permanently.
The Mask turns anybody who wears it into a manic psychotic loon. Walter fits with the violence, but not the rest. Also he clearly had some form of humor, with scenes like pounding a smiley face into his palm with nails.
>>
>>81621302
>That also makes Walter immune to most of Mask's powers and a perfect, humorless foil for a character based on comedy.

I'm actually really liking this idea. Walter is the perfect straight man, cosmically almost given his set of skills, his powers, his history, his mental state, that's the reason the mask doesn't work on him. Slapstick and incredible violence would mean nothing without his grounding of being equally indestructible and working off the mask. Walter (the possibility that his hyperrealism and detail representing he's already wearing a mask like the one he's encountered and doesn't even know because of the dramatic irony of his living condition withstanding) is the embodiment of tragedy and the Mask and it's wearer is the embodiment of comedy.
>>
>>81620907
>>81621105

Really. I always assumed the Mask simply rejected him because he was too strong. He would dominate the mask, rather than the other way around. And not be fun at all.
>>
>>81622443
How would he dominate the mask? Nobody can regardless. It's established that a little kid, a well adjusted detective, four NEET's, a couple, and some shitty random mobster all have the same level of control, regardless of he you are, the mask will still use you as a vessel.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.