[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So prejudice is okay when it suits your needs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: BlackSpidey.png (364 KB, 700x263) Image search: [Google]
BlackSpidey.png
364 KB, 700x263
A friend (using the term lightly) posts an article about pic related on social media, the gist being Bendis is inadvertently writing Miles as a self-hating black kid. Rather than just taking the opportunity to call Bendis a shitty writer, friend goes off on a huge tangent about how white people can't write POC characters and need to "stay in their own lane"
>wut
So I ask why go meta and accuse Bendis of soapboxing/why Miles' opinion is detrimental, and why either of us should bother posting anyway, me being white and her being asian.
>rev up that outrage
>neither of our opinions matter because systematic oppression means it's our duty to defer to POC opinions, otherwise we (read: i) am a racist asshole
> conveniently ignoring the fact that she's not Afro-Latino either.
I try to coax the logic out, but argument keeps circling back to me being racist for suppressing POCs by having a contrary opinion, and reasserting that whites can never ever write POCs forever.

So tell me /co/, who's more fucked in the head here?

Bonus - the article in question: http://blacknerdproblems.com/miles-morales-vs-spider-man-when-you-and-your-blackness-disagree/
>>
>>81603919
No one is clicking your shitty click bait and Miles is saying his skin color shouldn't define who he is. You and your friend are racist for thinking that he hates black people because of that.

>in b4 nuh uh

I'm black faggot we are just people.
>>
File: 1438615160015.jpg (64 KB, 270x297) Image search: [Google]
1438615160015.jpg
64 KB, 270x297
>>81603919
>white people can't write POC characters

Well then there would be almost no black characters ever, and then people would call that racist

I think that issue of Spider-Man about Miles not wanting to be "the black" Spider-Man was the first time Bendis did something really smart with Miles and the whole race thing, and when it was storytimed here a lot of people actually had a positive response to that
>>
File: rinko-kikuchi-chocolate-01.gif (986 KB, 160x245) Image search: [Google]
rinko-kikuchi-chocolate-01.gif
986 KB, 160x245
>>81603919
>whites can never ever write POCs forever.

How does she read comics? Because it's almost all white guys in the writer's chair.
>>
>>81603919
Sounds like the most pointless argument ever.
>>
>>81604210
She probably doesn't, she must've stumbled upon that panel on Twitter or in tumblr and her rage boner just pushed her to write the clickbait.
Who knows? People who take so much time analyzing and shitting comics over one little panel regularly don't read shit.
>>
>>81603919
>Arguing with SJWs

Found the problem. You can't get them to see logic, because logic isn't part of their thought process. You shouldn't be friends with racists, by the way, so you should unfriend her.
>>
File: 4chan.jpg (182 KB, 535x520) Image search: [Google]
4chan.jpg
182 KB, 535x520
>>81604379
>She probably doesn't, she must've stumbled upon that panel on Twitter or in tumblr and her rage boner just pushed her to write the clickbait.
>Who knows? People who take so much time analyzing and shitting comics over one little panel regularly don't read shit.

Then in the future ask her if she doesn't participate to the community, what does the specificity of her opinion even mean?
>>
>>81604161
>I think that issue of Spider-Man about Miles not wanting to be "the black" Spider-Man was the first time Bendis did something really smart with Miles
>Writes Miles as literally "the black" Spider-Man
>Now he doesn't want Miles to be "the black" Spider-Man
Bendis is a shit writer. News at 11.

>when it was storytimed here a lot of people actually had a positive response to that
Which threads were YOU in? I only remember the 300+ people saying Bendis was being hypocritical for this page and then proceeding to laugh at the tumblrinas who don't read comics being buttflustered about this issue.
>>
That panel is so retarded.

> can name himself literally anything
> chooses to be Spiderman
> but I don't want to be "___ Spiderman!"
>>
>>81603919
>So prejudice is okay when it suits your needs?
are you just now getting that? did the term 'people of color' not tip you off? a term that means 'everyone but whitey' ?
>>
>>81605055
All I want is a Spider-Man and Spider-teen team up book with Miles and Petee. And Slott and Bendis are not allowed to write it.
>>
>>81604013
http://archive.is/wjPqc
Are you happy
>>
>>81606695
>Slott and Bendis are not allowed to write it.
This, Miles is undeniably a better character when he's written by someone other than Bendis. I think Slott writes an okay Peter, but Yost wrote the better SpOck book.
>>
>>81603919
I don't even like miles since he's the most boring milquetoast motherfucker ever with a crappy power set (literally just: everything spiderman has but with a fancy mutant power. Also he's a mutant, kids like mutants right?) but I fail to see what's wrong with a black person saying "I don't want to be black X I want to be genuine X"

It's a very real thing to say.
>>
>>81606917
Did you read the Spider-Man and Deadpool issue with Miles in it? Kelly won't him to be actually enjoyable.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.