[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I think the main appeal Arrow had to me was just the potential
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12
I think the main appeal Arrow had to me was just the potential it had to explore Green Arrow as a character with hours upon hours of story, likely getting to do more in terms of volume than any comic book run could. Unfortunately it simply became the dollar store action figure version of the Nolan Dark Knight movies, before I gave up on it after Sara was killed in season 3. We just keep getting wasted opportunity after wasted opportunity.

If you could take another shot at adapting Green Arrow into a TV show format, what would you do to make him wholly distinct from Batman in every aspect of his operations? How would you make Star City a distinct entity like the other famous cities in DC?
>>
The biggest question I have is would you keep Deathstroke as such an interpersonal villain of Green Arrow? I personally would stay away from things like Deathstroke and Suicide Squad completely, or anything that is too close to Batman. Deathstroke works better as an antagonist of Nightwing
>>
Have Black Canary not know Oliver before he was a superhero. Use Grell's run as primary season one inspiration, since Canary isn't really important in it. Second season, make it Lemire's run. Use characters like Black Lightning, Katana, and the rest of the Outsiders. Make Roy a druggie. Make Mia a hoe.

Not involve Cuckingheim
>>
>>81603204
When are Dinah and Oliver supposed to meet anyway?
>>
>>81601839
Just make him the funny, witty SJW from pre-52, but have his environment be pretty dark and have him handle dark subjects (like the whole drug thing with Roy or the HIV stuff from Kevin Smiths run, for example). Have Canary be the fun vigilante motorcycle chick instead of bland lawyer.
>The biggest question I have is would you keep Deathstroke as such an interpersonal villain of Green Arrow?
Nah, if anything I would have him appear as a mercenary that's hired by some antagonist, who beats the shit out of Ollie but has no personal connection to him anyhow. Or just leave him alone.
>>
>>81603748
Pretty sure they got to know each other by being colleagues in the JLA.
>>
>>81603748
pre nu-52: they met as members of the Justice League
post nu-52: the new rebirth run will finally have them meet
>>
>>81601839
My biggest problem with the show is they basically made him batman. He's batman with a bow. The first season was nothing but grim dark, and him being a shadowy vigilante how kills the evil, fighting his shadowy evil counterpart, all the while brooding and being sad. The later seasons are still shadowy, grim dark, brooding vigilante, but at least now he's fighting comic book esk villains.

Flash definitely did it better. The villains are goofy, the hero is sarcastic, and the situations are crazy. If they could just change the green arrow to be more snarky and less batman, the show would be better
>>
>>81604184
The worst part is that he doesn't even have the traits of Batman that would make him interesting. Basically, they just have characters talk about how edgy Arrow is, but they don't really show it apart from killing folks in season one and that's never really touched on a ton. I mean, sure he interrogates some people in a pretty harsh manner, but never in a way that makes him appear too much 'on the edge'. Harry Potter interrogates a bunch of people in the same way, really. The crossover with Flash in season one of The Flash is the only one where he actually shows that since there they just went ahead and made him Batman all the way through. And it's the only time he has any sort of character, apart from that it's, again, just people talking about what he's like.
>>
>>81602889
Funnily enough the best villains on the show bar Merlyn were all not Green Arrow ones.

Deathstroke, Deadshot, Clock King and the early League stuff was miles better than the shite that was Komodo, Count Vertigo and Brick.
>>
>>81604619
Christ, I weep at how hard they fucked Komodo and Vertigo
>>
I honestly don't mind Deathstroke as a GA villain. A government-funded super soldier who turns to being a mercenary for cash and is fueled by capitalism and has no problem killing kids against an anti-authoritarian communist who gave away all his cash to help the less fortunate sounds like a perfect match up to me
>>
File: Green_Arrow_v.2_1.jpg (94 KB, 500x768) Image search: [Google]
Green_Arrow_v.2_1.jpg
94 KB, 500x768
>>81603763
>Liking Green Liberal
Grell Arrow all day. Fuck Captain Reddit and his Robin Hood hat.
>>
>people wanting snarky, quippy putz Ollie like he should be in the MCU
>not roguish, charming Ollie who, isn't always but when pushed to his limits, is willing to go to a dark place
>>
>>81604978
Pretty sure no one implied that he's not exactly that. It's just that if you describe him in comparision to the character from Arrow, you'll probably point out his more funny and less dark traits.
>>
File: Arrow_0070b.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2002) Image search: [Google]
Arrow_0070b.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2002
The main appeal is Speedy.

Give her a show of her own.
>>
One thing I would consider is shortening the season
>>
>>81601839
>If you could take another shot at adapting Green Arrow into a TV show format, what would you do to make him wholly distinct from Batman in every aspect of his operations?

Have him going up against actual corruption. Start the series off with him going after street level criminals and finding who launders their money and supports their enterprises. Go really left wing. Fuck it why not, have some balls about it.
And as someone else said don't have him be the first hero in star city. Have black canary running around and have a blooming romance...but its entirely in costume at first. They never take off their masks until theyre already in love. just meeting on rooftops for team ups and the romance stems from that shit.

Also don't cram in batman villains. Good gravy it aint so hard to do.
>>
>>81604184
>If they could just change the green arrow to be more snarky and less batman, the show would be better

They have promised to do this twice now. Season 3 almost started that way, then bumped off the Canary and it had to be dark vengeance assassins down the path of darkness. Season 4 he becomes GREEN Arrow, and it was again supposed to be more lighthearted, but instead the overarching idea is that "you can't escape the inner darkness." Gimme a break. Give Oliver a break. Give the show some heart and some light/color. You can barely tell his outfit is green now.
>>
>>81604619
>>81604723
>Komodo

Holy shit I forgot he was even on the show with how under-utilized he was. He can't even come back, either. Oliver beat him and he's even stronger now, what would bland, Canadian mercenary Simon Lacroix even do now?
>>
File: 1431889767615.jpg (36 KB, 603x609) Image search: [Google]
1431889767615.jpg
36 KB, 603x609
>>81605405
She's the only good one left, and not a threat to the Olicity beast due to her blood relation.
>>
>ctrl+f
>no Felicity
Come on you faggots let's do this
>>
If I write that the mayor gets assassinated during a live event I make sure to actually make a big deal out of it instead of just ignoring it for several episodes.
>>
>Oliver is a swashbuckling Robin Hood type character who can crack a friggin joke once in a while
>Black Canary should be introduced later in the series, never really a part of the team but teams up on occasion while also building their relationship
>Introduce Roy and explore his addiction
>Surprisingly, keep Diggle. But keep him as the bodyguard/driver, not a costume vigilante. Runs interference for Oliver trying to keep his secret and pulls him out for medical attention.
>No shitty hacker Oracle knockoff. But if you really need one, use Mister Terrific. A GOOD ONE.
>MORE TRICK ARROWS
>Wildcat episodes
>Malcolm Merlyn is an assassin for hire, develops obsession over Green Arrow trying to prove hes better
>Count Vertigo is the main antagonist and has ear implants or is a meta. Not a shit drug dealer. Has diplomatic immunity
Thats how you friggin do it. Not a shit melodrama watered down batman with a writers pet taking over the damn show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVRiADlDEig
>>
To make how he operates fully distinct from Batman, I'd disregard Green Arrows soft liberalism and make him a full on Tyler Durden style anarchist who forms his band of merry men from the displaced youth of Star City and criminals that he's bested and brought over to his side, disregarding the established authorities of the city and living as a brazen outlaw and the unstable leader of an unorganized gang. Instead of being a solo vigilante, I'd have Oliver have an almost cult following in the city that helps him with his various anti establishment attacks. He'd be a superhero that always has an audience and loves delivering empassioned speeches to them about his anarchist ideals. Over the course of the story, he would grow from these ideas and his inner instability after great hardship and become the Mayor of his city. Black Canary would become the street mom of these lost youth of the city and watch over them.
>>
>>81606200
Eh, just use Fyff as your tech. Lets Mr Terrific not get dragged down by just being a tech.
>>
more like finally have a modern show about some hero using bow and arrow.

That's literally the whole reason I watched it and now it became desperate housewife with bow and arrow.

Everyone is still watching because of the flashbacks
>>
>>81604184
the cross over with supergirl was the only time supergirl was happy and cheerful. Other time it was just horrible. I feel as if Flash is carrying the dead weights of GA and supergirl and eventually LoT.
>>
What villains would you say are wholly Green Arrows and should be the main reoccurring enemies in Star City? It might seem like he doesn't have a lot, but the foundation is there for a good cast.
>>
>>81606452
Count Vertigo and Merlyn are his essentials. But you could occasionally use Deathstroke, Deadshot, Black Spider, and Chesire. Of course there isnt anything wrong with a show creating an original villain too
>>
I'd make the Question and Huntress the heroes that Green Arrow and Black Canary frequently team up with on superhero double dates. I'd somehow try to make Hub City and Star City close to one another
>>
>>81606452
Vertigo for international threat/nemesis
Merlyn for anti-Green Arrow
Brick for local crime
>>
>>81606551
Deadshot and Deathstroke are great as visiting villains, but I'm talking about Star City essentials like the Rogues in Central City or the Arkham regulars in Gotham, the ones who make their home there.
>>
Why do so many people like faggy, quippy liberal douche Ollie? Because they grew up watching DCAU Justice League?
>>
>>81606452
>>81606724
Just do the Longbow Hunters as your "Rogues" aside from maybe not-Richard Dragon
The Outsiders as your enemies turned friends
Merlyn as your Black Manta/Bane
>>
File: za flashu.jpg (521 KB, 1116x1100) Image search: [Google]
za flashu.jpg
521 KB, 1116x1100
>>81601839
I hate the CW but Arrow has me wondering what the CW has to offer in terms of superhero stuff

how's smallville and The Flash?
>>
>>81606843
Just swap out not-Richard Dragon with Bronze Tiger and add Clock King.
I'm 99% sure that's what Lemire/Sorrentino originally intended anyway with him being black, having scars that look like stripes and a predominantly yellow/black color scheme. But then Lobdell was Lobdell and turned him into an actual tiger man
>>
>>81606766
Because he's been that way in the comics for literally since before anyone posting on this thread was even BORN.
That WAS Green Arrow ever since Green Arrow/Green Lantern and the Bronze Age and it was his entire personality for pretty much his entire publication history UNTIL Arrow.

It's like bitching people for liking Batman for being dark; he's been that way for decades.
>>
>>81606766
Personally, I'm all about the bitter, paranoid Vietnam vet Oliver from the Dark Knight Returns
>>
>>81606200
>Mister Terrific part of Team Arrow
I can't see it.
>>
>>81606971
Oh and the spikes on the gloves are reminiscent of his claws

>>81606972
Nah, see
>>81604978
>>81604872
>>
>>81606319
>>81607002
Now that I think about it, just forget the hacker member entirely. Just have it Oliver and Roy in the field, Diggle behind the scenes, and Black Canary for the occasional team up. But I stand by everything else
>>
>>81606971
I'd fully be behind Bronze Tiger and the Clock King being established as Star City/Green Arrow villains honestly
>>
>>81606915
As someone who's watched both; the Flash is FUN.
It's energetic and incredibly idealistic, most drama (with the exception of the automatic CW romance, which is a remarkably minor part of the show) is resolved by the end of the episode instead of dragged out over the season.

It doesn't tone down the batshit zanyness of Flash comics AT ALL; he fights guys with ice rays, fire guns, psychic talking gorillas, goes back in time, super-sonic punches people, and actually appears to have the full range of powers he has from the comics without knowing how to fully control them yet.

Of course since one of the showrunners us Geoff Johns, perhaps it isn't surprising how much sheer energy there is in it.
>>
>>81607131
>It doesn't tone down the batshit zanyness of Flash comics AT ALL
that has me hype. Thanks anon
>>
File: 26.jpg (91 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
26.jpg
91 KB, 600x300
Anyone got some Onomatopoeia ideas? How would you work him as a serial villain?
>>
>>81607186
I don't really think you can without just turning him into a sonar based villain or a scarecrow rip-off
>>
>>81607117
I may get shit for this, but I would go with the Brave and the Bold Clock King design.
>>81607186
He would leave notes at the crime scene with the onomatopoeia used in the killing. So say he snaps someones neck, he leaves a SNAP! calling card behind.
>>
>>81606843
Lemire's run is so fucking good.
>>
>>81607174
Oh, and get this; one episode has Barry's dad, played by the guy who played Barry Allen in the 1990's Flash series, and The Trickster, who is played by Mark Hamill who played the Joker in BTAS and landed that role because of his role as the Trickster in the 1990's Flash series.

Try to get more self-referential then that.
>>
>>81607278
Whatever happened to the younger next gen Trickster? Not saying I dont love Hamill, cant get enough of him, but I thought we'd get more mileage out of the other guy
>>
>>81607268
>He would leave notes at the crime scene with the onomatopoeia used in the killing. So say he snaps someones neck, he leaves a SNAP! calling card behind.

Probably the only way to do it. I read somewhere they were considering Onomatopoeia as a villain for Arrow but Smith said it wouldn't work, because his whole premise really only functions in a comic book medium.
>>
>>81607186
I do, yeah.
>>
File: Clock King.jpg (63 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
Clock King.jpg
63 KB, 540x720
>>81607268
Damn, forgot pic. I know its silly but fuck it
>>
>>81607333
He just wasn't as awesome as Hamill.
Or as funny.
>>
File: 4eb7f8e4f1022_217254b.jpg (151 KB, 508x714) Image search: [Google]
4eb7f8e4f1022_217254b.jpg
151 KB, 508x714
I'd make Count Vertigo the Doom/Zemo/Luthor tier villain he deserves to be first and foremost
>>
>>81606972
You couldn't be more wrong.
>>
File: Onomatopoeia.jpg (58 KB, 1056x1080) Image search: [Google]
Onomatopoeia.jpg
58 KB, 1056x1080
>>81607349
Not a bad design though.I could see it has one of his ticks in the show. Bang, Snap, Crunch, etc.
>>
File: 1f81b94f64ec2e59c953b7908ef81c35.png (1003 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
1f81b94f64ec2e59c953b7908ef81c35.png
1003 KB, 1280x800
>>81603748
Like Punisher and Daredevil or Elektra and Daredevil.

"hey Ollie there's a new vigilante on the streets"

"ok cool I'll check that out thanks Diggle"
>>
>>81607349
That excuse is fine for the early seasons but this is now a universe that has superpowers, magic, and The Flash in it. Time to go full comic book.
>>
You know the weird bit is despite how shit ARROW is, it gave us Diggle. Whos great as the bodyguard, not the vigilante mind you
>>
>>81608088
Star City doesn't have to be like Central City
>>
>>81608229
>all of Season 1 it teased Ollie and Dig working in the field together, but neither were together at top strength
>until the finale, against Malcolm, where Dig getting taken down made it tense
>Dig only goes into action in the final arc of Season 2 or against Slade himself, setting up the headshot
Diggle was great in the former stuff. He's been worthless this season outside of a couple great moments in otherwise shitty episodes.
>>
>>81608229
He really is a good addition to Green Arrow in concept, the Little John he's been missing. His characterization on Arrow is annoying, but just the idea of an ex Blackhawk mobile operator becoming Olivers get away driver is a good idea
>>
>>81608348
>the Little John
You motherfucker
>>
File: pinballwizard.jpg (107 KB, 425x785) Image search: [Google]
pinballwizard.jpg
107 KB, 425x785
You're forced to write Pinball Wizard into your show. What do you do with him?
>>
>>81608497
Turn him into a rapist that rapes gamer grrrls on top of pinball machines.
>>
>>81607683
>>81608088
>>81608243
>a new meta arrives in Star City with the ability to create speech bubbles and sound effect words appear in mid air around him
>>
>>81608348
Yeah I like Diggle as the mock Alfred in the sense hes Olivers connection to a semi normal life. Like Diggle accepts all this craziness but doesnt get sucked into it as far as Oliver
>>
>>81608497
a homeless orphan who lived in an abandoned arcade. Good with machinery. Made wearable ball-bearing guns out of the games. Accidentally sparks a gangwar when a deal is being conducted on his 'property' and he kills them in self defence
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.