[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is marvel and DC holding the superhero/superpowered action genre
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (78 KB, 600x265) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78 KB, 600x265
Is marvel and DC holding the superhero/superpowered action genre back? Most comic creators usually go there when they want to write a long running superhero series and most creator owned superheroes are so obscure and short lived they barely see any further development or runs. In Japan Shonen manga and superpowered bullshit is fairly popular to the extent that there's a lot to choose from that's all creator driven. In America it's the same group of heroes recycled over and over again.

I guess invincible counts but it's not high quality most of the time.
>>
The CCA killed the American comic book industry and DC supported it
>>
>>81597194
>most creator owned superheroes are so obscure and short lived
Yeah, because Spawn, Savage Dragon, and Invincible don't have the highest issue counts currently of any capeshit on the market. And Millar hasn't had multiple of his Millarworld comics get turned into movies. Kick-ass is less obscure than a lot of Marvel and DC's backcatalogues of heroes. Not to mention Valiant which is currently going strong, doing the best shared cape universe in the market with multiple ongoings.

Marvel and DC ain't holding back shit. There's nothing stopping a top tier creator from doing some revolutionary cape book via one of the numerous creator owned publishers, or hell, go the COPRA route. Michael Fiffe SELF-PUBLISHED Copra, and even that became popular among fans of the genre. If what you want is non-Marvel or DC capes, there are PLENTY of avenues for that.
>>
>>81597194
>Is marvel and DC holding the superhero/superpowered action genre back?
No. Readers are.
>>
I really enjoy invincible
>>
>>81597488
I suppose I should've been more specific and said that high quality creator owned runs seem obscure and short lived to the public eye compared to marvel and DC. It's not like Spawn, Savage Dragon, or Millar's comics are any good.

I completely forgot about Valiant though for some reason. Copra is also really good.
>>
>>81597194
No, the continued chokehold that superheroes have on the (American) industry is what's holding comics back.

An entire medium shouldn't be defined by one genre. It would be like asking one of your friends if they like movies, but then they say "sorry I don't like romantic comedies".
>>
>>81597194
No. The large amount of garbage from shit writers are holding the superhero action genre back.

>I guess invincible counts but it's not high quality most of the time.
Case in point.
>>
>>81597514
So the hyper crisis is?
>>
>>81597194
That's because all manga is written with an ending in mind, none of it is intended to go on for 70+ years like DC and Marvel characters. There's more variety because they keep starting over.
>>
>>81597445
It didnt kill it, it evolved
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.