[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Having X-Men in the same universe as other supers is retarded.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (171 KB, 1024x272) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
171 KB, 1024x272
Having X-Men in the same universe as other supers is retarded. X-Men is a universal story. In the X-Men story people get superpowers from mutations. There are hundreds of mutants like this. X-Men had ideas about tension, mistrust, fear and conflict between mutants and non-mutants.

Crossing it over with other superheroes makes everything muddled and nonsensical.
1. X-Men already is already a universal story with all 300 mutants and such. Why are a dozen random heroes suddenly just as important or more important than the mutants whenever there is a crossover?
2. All of the superhumans in X-Men are caused by the same type of mutation, but it leads to a wild variety of powers. In a crossover event there are a few superhumans that have random origins. This doesn't fit cleanly into the X-Men story.
3. X-Men tries to keep the whole mutants vs. humans ideas going in crossover events, but that conflict doesn't apply to non-mutant superhumans at all, despite them being practically the same as mutants.
>>
>>81587200
Good news, anon. Marvel is actually moving the mutants to a different universe. I think.
>>
>>81587245
Unless OP isn't shilling for people to change their mind about muggas in 616.
>>
>>81587200
>3. X-Men tries to keep the whole mutants vs. humans ideas going in crossover events, but that conflict doesn't apply to non-mutant superhumans at all, despite them being practically the same as mutants.

Since this is the only part of your post that's even half way not retarded, I will address only this

Super powered humans are still humans, mutants are a new race. To imply that humanity would hate their own kind as much as they'd hate a race capable of replacing them is retarded. We, in the real world, do not have mutants....but we do have other races. Blacks are obsessed and paranoid that white people are trying to kill them. Jews are obsessed and paranoid that white people are trying to kill them. White people are obsessed and paranoid that everyone on the planet who looks different than them is trying to kill them.

What the fuck makes you think for a second that if a race of people BORN with super powers existed people wouldn't hate the shit out of them and want them gone? We do this just because of pigment and hair color, you somehow think super powers would be not feared?

Humans who gain powers are entirely different, they are not a new race, they do not BREED super powers, they are not going to replace mankind, they give hope to mankind because mankind can hope to be like them, and they very well could
>>
>>81587200
>>81587245
>>81587251
The Marvel shilling is real. Everyone knows that Death of X will be cancer. The shared universe is the greatest innovation in comic book history. The more heroes you put in the same universe the more creativity you can get by pitting them against each other, making teams out of them to fight bigger threats...but you can also have single hero books within that universe so there is literally no downside. And the upside is alot of fun.
>>
>>81587460
I still want Vertigo to be an universe apart of the DCU.
>>
>>81587200
While I think some of your reasoning may be a little half baked I actually agree that in their essence the X-Men and the rest of Marvel don't need to be conjoined. The primary reason being that the idea of mutation and a era of humanity is a strong enough idea to have it's own universe. The X-men universe doesn't need the rest of Marvel to tackle any subject or issue it wants because its central conceit allows it to do that in seclusion which is why (in my opinion) mutant plots are at their best when they're not crossovers.

However, this does not mean that the X-Men should necessarily break off in to their own universe, just because they don't need each other doesn't mean that there aren't benefits to them staying together. Their absence from some crossovers would have left them poorer stories.

Ultimately it's the characters that are important and the removal of some of the X-Men characters from larger plots will certainly leave a void which I don't think will be easily filled.

It's going to happen though.
>>
>>81587422
What you're saying makes sense and you seem like a really smart guy, but have you ever read X-Men? Since when is breeding even a focus of it? Most mutants have human parents. I don't think there is even a single main character with two mutant parents.
>>81587594
Well said. I'll agree that some good stuff came from the shared universe, but imho it does more harm than good because of the focus lost from the X-Men story.
>>
>>81587594
>Ultimately it's the characters that are important and the removal of some of the X-Men characters from larger plots will certainly leave a void which I don't think will be easily filled.
While I'm indifferent to idea, what characters are important to large stories? I guess you think of events where X-Men are usually wallpaper?
>>
I'd go one step further and say x-men doesn't really work anymore as a concept. We don't really have a oppressed minority that mutants can be a stand in for so the bad guys seem retarded not scary and the public are so stupid at times I can't take it seriously.
X-men needs a top to bottom makeover not just it's a metaphor for (let me just check who or what it should be now and joke about tumblr) if it's going to be more than that thing that used to be about racism.
>>
No one seemed to care that much about it before, and besides it was anice dynamic of having everyone racist towards mutants so every super hero basically had to say wait a minute I'm not a filthy mutant and then feel bad about it
>>
>>81588122
> We don't really have a oppressed minority that mutants can be a stand in for

Are you stupid, or just suburban

>so the bad guys seem retarded not scary

The bad guys are usually mutants...its King vs. X mentalities

>and the public are so stupid at times I can't take it seriously.

You're talking about a country about to elect Donald Trump as their leader, so yeah...you mean like real life?
>>
>>81587200
You are retarded. Kill yourself.
Seriously, take the rope and hang yourself
>>
#1, No.

Having the X-Men in a shared universe makes the prejudice against them seem ridiculous.

Good show. That's essential to the X-Men, that's their whole point. The X-Men are supposed to show you that prejudice is ridiculous in their fictional world, so that you'll rethink all your prejudices in the real world.

Because it's true, prejudice is ridiculous.

#2, No.

Making money is Priority #1 of Marvel Comics, and keeping the X-Men in a shared universe makes them more money.

Being part of a large shared universe means more people willing to try more of their comics, because people want to read Big and Important comics that have effects on other comics. Marvel has seen that sales are lower for their own comics in a smaller shared universe (their Ultimate line). Marvel has seen that sales are lower for everyone else trying a small shared universe or no shared universe (every publisher that isn't Marvel or DC).

If more than 50% of your regular comic reading is Marvel and/or DC then this money-making scheme has worked on you too.
>>
>>81587783
it's seems like you never read x-men or spider-man, fantastic four, avengers, and want to shill for marvel

FUCK OFF
>>
>>81587783
>Most mutants have human parents. I don't think there is even a single main character with two mutant parents.
Regardless, it's a new breed of person. Anybody who isn't part of them is going to hate and fear them.
>>
>>81588122
shill no 232

FUCK YOU TOO
>>
You know posting this more times doesn't make it any less stupid than it was the first time, right?

Mutants are an analogy for discrimination, and how silly it is. If they're the only powered people in a universe it doesn't work. If nobody else is running around with powers, it's understandable that people would be wary of the only group that is. But when you've got hundreds of other powered people who got powers through accidents and other various origins, but only this one group is especially hated for it, then it works.
>>
>>81588221
don't discuss with that idiot.
I guess that he never read a story where people call Spider-Man a menace, or where people were protesting against Dr Strange's house against occultism. Or when the Avengers had to dealt with prejudice as well, or when Cap was called a traitor, or... etc etc.

Fuck this thread in the ass

I am sick of this baiting, and I feel like someone just copypastes the most retarded opinions over and over and over and over on a daily basis.
>>
>>81587783
>I don't think there is even a single main character with two mutant parents.
Cyclops' children. All mutants.
>>
>>81588250
X-Men are not necessarily an analogy.
They are heroes who protect those who fear and hate them. Easy, neat and simple.

That the X-Men eventually started to be more serious and had more depth is another matter.

Notice that in their 50+ history, X-Men gave Marvel Shi'ar, Phalanx, Imperial Guard, Savage Land, Madripoor, Genosha, Tabula Rasa, Limbo, various demons, and etc.

There is much more to X-Men than "muh civil rights", which newflash, were never the main point of the comic, as X-Men were more about growing up, about changing and various philosophies
>>
>>81588122
Even if there were no racial/sexual/religious minorities treated poorly in our society, or hated and feared just for who they are, that metaphor would still be useful in reminding us why we shouldn't repeat the mistakes of the past.
The x-men has also always been about growing up, dealing with the alienation of being a teenager, and discovering and embracing who you are.
>>
>All these people who think bigotry against mutants wouldn't make sense if The Avengers aren't whizzing around every five seconds

There's been a ton of X-Men media where they're either in their own universe or other Marvel properties are included as little as possible. X-Men: Evolution, Wolverine and the X-Men, the Fox films...
>>
>>81587200
You know, in the five years I've been aware of you making these threads, you've gone from a reasonable argument to being a fucking crank.

None of it matters.
>>
>>81587200
You're wrong.
1. What the fuck's a universal story supposed to mean?
2. Stop being such an autist.
3. Crossovers suck anyways.
>>
>>81587200
Because mutants are another race, and normal humans fear that they will eradicate non-mutants and shit like that that makes tension between the two.
Xmen was created during the whole malcolm x and martin luther king jr movement, so that explains the whole race war thing
>>
>>81588214
>>81588240
>>81588271
>All of these DCucks
>>
>>81588183
Suburban mostly, I didn't mean to imply we've solved racism but I don't think the metaphor works as well as it did when it became what x-men was about.
>>81588482
I have to agree with you on your x-men is about growing up point and what >>81588318 said about philosophies and who you are being important parts of x-men comics but all I'm seeing at the moment is we're on the brink of extinction and everyone seems to hate us.
I think I was wrong to say it doesn't work as a concept but I do feel that the current incarnation is in need of a makeover.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.