[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is James Tyrion?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: 8.-Detective-Comics-934.jpg (223 KB, 600x911) Image search: [Google]
8.-Detective-Comics-934.jpg
223 KB, 600x911
Never heard of him but interested in Tim being written well again as I used to self-insert as him.
>>
There will be people calling him terrible because of his bad writing on a few of Snyder's pet projects. But he has been good when doing his own stuff like Constantine, Batman/TMNT and creator stuff.
>>
>>81584111
He's mediocre for the most part, but he's nowhere as shitty as /co/ makes him out to be. A lot of his work at DC has been collaborative, which makes it hard to get a good read on this writing ability. His Batman/TMNT is getting good reviews, and he's the sole writer on that.

Most of the hate comes from his work on the Batman Eternal books (weely series that he co-plotted), and from RHATO. In the former case, it's because the Eternal books juggle a huge cast, and he spends a lot of time pandering to fans of his and Snyder's pet characters instead of pandering to the characters that /co/ likes. He also has a tendency to flanderize characters to one or two traits, and play up melodrama for no reason. But weekly books tend to be shit in general, due to needing so much filler and scripts having to be rushed out the door.

As for the RHATO hate, it's mostly there's a small but belligerent segment of the Jason Todd fanbase who thinks that Scott Lobdell is the greatest writer ever, and hate Tynion for taking over RHATO for one arc (granted, it was bad). They also blame Tynion for RHATO having shit reviews and sales, even though it was Lobdell's first few arcs that got crapped on in the first place, and by the time Tynion took over, no one cared about the title anymore.

With that said, Tynion's Constantine and Batman/TMNT have been getting good reviews, and he was written Tim better than Lobdell or Pfeiffer (which is an incredibly low bar, mind you). If you don't mind Tim just being an acceptable supporting character and two-dimensional at best, Detective Comics will be fine.
>>
File: Mediocre.gif (548 KB, 432x200) Image search: [Google]
Mediocre.gif
548 KB, 432x200
>>81584111
>>
File: 1460104535692s.jpg (10 KB, 250x210) Image search: [Google]
1460104535692s.jpg
10 KB, 250x210
Tynion wrote this
>>
>>81584111
He's better than James Teclis.
>>
Didn't like his Batman Eternal/Batman and Robin Eternal stuff, but I enjoy his Constantine run.

Maybe he's just bad at writing Bat characters?
>>
>>81585116
He's bad at writing books that feature large rosters of characters that have been developed previously as solo characters

Which is exactly what Detective Comics is
>>
He's not bad (recent Constantine run is good fun) but he's not gonna be good on Tech.

If you like Teenage Mutant Robins you may be happy with it.
>>
>>81585547
The difference is that TMNT are always written as an ensemble cast. The cast of 'Tec are a bunch of former solo characters crammed in together because DC had no space for them elsewhere
>>
>>81585116
>>81585547
How much of Constantine is Ming Doyle though? Because he's only co-writing that one.
>>
>>81584811
>A canvas on which to build
>Not a canvas on which to paint
>Not a foundation on which to build

Why does he feel sick in his soul? Does that mean he wants to fuck her?
>>
>>81585678
urg,,,he is a mary sue and she is a mary sue
>>
>>81585574
Fair point, what has he written that has been solo anyway? Does he co-plot/co-write everything? His Eternal shit wasn't just him either.

Though I also must admit I really liked the art of Constantine too and good art tends to dazzle me out of accurately judging an arc - the characters voices, plotting, etc.
>>
>>81585678
>not wanting to plow best Robingirl
>>
>>81585813
Batman TMNT
>>
I don't care about her enough to hate her. She's just there. Too me she's nothing more than a temp character. Hopefully when Snyder leaves future writers will forget about her.
>>
The problem is not "how", but "why"...it looks like they are trrying to make her look as good as possible, while trying to not make her look overpowered, mary-sue kind of stuff, but the thing that most meets the eye, about her, its: "why is she even here?"...what is so special about her?...can anyone be apart of the Bat-family now?
>>
>>81584111
I can tell you this comic will become a Harper Row is the best wankfest. Everyone will say how great she is and they'll wonder where she is whenever she's not jn the room.
>>
>>81584811
Who is saying this? Bruce? What the fuck, she's useless.
>>
>>81584111
Judging by Batman and Robin Eternal, he fucking sucks.
>>
>>81586140
Harper isn't in TEC yet.
>>
>>81588217
She's gonna be though
>>
>>81588251
That bitch needs to go to school.
>>
>>81584811
I think what hes trynig to say is that Harper Row has all the potential in the world.

What he means that hes sick to his soul is that because of his actions Harpers parents ended up dead.
>>
>>81584111

Tynion just finished BRE, and BRE was complete shit. And he's specifically said that he wants 'Tec to be a continuation of BRE, so all signs point to 'Tec being complete shit too.
>>
>>81584673
>he spends a lot of time pandering to fans of his and Snyder's OCs instead of pandering to the established characters
FTFY
>>
>>81588263
I'm a monkey's paw and I'll grant you your wish

>Harper is in school during her initial appearance in Detective Comics but quickly gets asked by Batman and company for her help because they can't solve the current situation without her, instead of having her willingly jeopardize her education.

There, she tries to go to school but due to being such a Marie Sue the universe drags her away from that because she has much greater responsibilities waiting for her elsewhere
>>
>>81585813
The only things I can place on him are Talon, Memetic, and Batman/TMNT
>>
>>81591803
And Talon's quality started slipping downwards when Snyder let go of Tynion's hand
>>
I think it would be good until Harper gets deployed, then it will become her book.
>>
>>81584673
>small but belligerent segment of the Jason Todd fanbase who thinks that Scott Lobdell is the greatest writer ever

more like Lobdell's RHATO is like a michael bay movie and Tynion's was a Jonathan Liebsman movie. Neither of them are particularly good, but I would rather watch Transformers than Battle: Los Angeles
>>
>>81585678
He feels sick because he realized that he mixed metaphors.
>>
>>81592090
The point is that both are shit, and one doesn't deserve to be held head and shoulders above the other. I shouldn't have to pick between Bay and Leibsman in the first place. If I want a mindless action movie, I can always go with JJ Abrams or something
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.