[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what was this about I feel like I missed the point other than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
what was this about

I feel like I missed the point other than the extremely heavy-handed "revolution gets people killed"
>>
>>81581661
>I feel like I missed the point other than the extremely heavy-handed "revolution gets people killed"

You completely missed the point

Dont worry anon, sick to slice of life indie stuff.
>>
>>81581661
Some people like taking orders.

Others don't.

Both deserve to get what they want.

If they don't, they are prone to radical and destructive inventions.

There is no war.
>>
get beyond us vs them
>>
>>81581718
come on
>they had an entire issue dedicated to the life of some random guy who got gunned down in issue one
>king mob constantly feels bad about the shit he does
>the marquis literally says something like "oh the french revolution could have been good but now the weak have become the strong and in doing so have made the same mistakes the strong always do"
>the first volume is called "say you want a revolution"

all of this seems to be hints towards grant morrison not believing in violent revolution
>>
>>81581797
>>all of this seems to be hints towards grant morrison not believing in violent revolution

And yet without violence they would have never gotten Dane out of Harmony House, or away from Miles Delancourt, or taken out Quimper

Dane and eventually King Mob believe "there must be a better way" but such is only possible after violent revolution creates cracks in the machine.
>>
File: invisible midwives.jpg (292 KB, 980x1523) Image search: [Google]
invisible midwives.jpg
292 KB, 980x1523
>>81581797
>>81581767
>>81581907
>>81581718
>>
>>81581938
yeah that was another thing I got lost at, what were the harleyquinade and barbelith in the end? and did the ancient evil thing villain actually exist or was it just a ruse created by the higher members of the outer church?
>>
>>81581964

why do you want us to spoil all the good stuff instead of rereading it in a month or so?

part of the fun of reading the wacky shit morrison puts out is figuring it out
>>
>>81581964
>what were the harleyquinade and barbelith in the end? and did the ancient evil thing villain actually exist or was it just a ruse created by the higher members of the outer church?

They're just different aspects of the same place.

People who want order see the Archons and the King of Yellow.

People who want chaos see the Harlequinade.

The struggle between the two forces moves the wheel of evolution, but it can be a joint amicable effort if you'd like. Just look at Jon Six and how he straddles both sides while trying to do as much good as he can.
>>
>>81582033
the omnibus cut the circulation out from my legs, I don't intend on rereading it any time soon. and it took me ages to figure out all of final crisis, which was only ~400 pages. the invisibles is like 1500, I have no idea how much study I'd need to do to figure that out

>>81582052
yeah that was the general idea I had, but more due to John O'Dreams coming back and helping out both sides right at the end even though he was meant to be corrupted from direct contact with the archons, who I thought were probably not real at all rather than being the harleyquinade
>>
>>81582110
The archons are the same dudes that the harlequinade/yellowman/invisibles are but wrapped in a timesuit AND coming into the world "at a funny angle" from one of the universes "birthing" this reality.
>>
>>81582186
what did the harlequinade even want to achieve?

I got the impression that barbelith fulfills the same purpose in jack's new reality and the vision that jack sees of it is just a vision of the future, the future he creates after the end of the world (which is caused by king mob trying to get robin back I think?)
>>
>>81582336
The harlequinade/yellowman are the versions of the Invisibles who are conducting the conflict from outside time/space. You can pretty much guess their identities from how they interact with people and how they appear. John Dreams is one of those too but he seems to operate alone (its implied Quimper is also him)

The barbelith thing is more vague, but i think that its a direct counterpart to the archons, barbelith being possibly something related to Dane coming at a strangle angle from the "healthy" outer universe
>>
It was basically pre-Matrix/Wikipedia conspiracies on par with the sort of things you'd find on /x/ today, combined with serviceable art that really did the work no favors and only makes the work seem more trite and juvenile in hindsight.

I'd say it's derivative but it accomplished it first and all that before information was easily disseminated for us to loathe it in hindsight. Modern readers impressed by the work either fall for the hype of 20 years ago, or are young and impressionable enough for it to still seem new. Any reader in their mid-20s or older will undoubtedly prefer his Doom Patrol run instead.
>>
>>81582566
much of his conceptual framework in DP, Invisibles and X-men run is very similar
>>
>>81582485
>>81582485
i'm pretty sure that nearly everyone is John o'Dreams using a time machine to be everywhere at once in order to bring about the new world created by Dane

the main question I have is why the new world needed to be brought about in the first place, was it because of the whole "reality sickness" thing that was mentioned a few times?
>>
>>81582566
Yeah, his DP was fantastic and severely underrated because the critics are too cowardly to dive into so many issues all at once.

Having Kipling be a bizarre parody of Constantine is a gag that goes over most people's heads.

Incidentally, what inspired Mr. Evans? He had to be the most unconventional depiction of the devil I've ever seen.
>>
>>81582615
i think that part of the new world was an allegory

in V2 you can see how reality is an intersection of 2 universes. One is considered (by the invisbles) sick and machinelike, the outher church. The other is just mentioned as being healthy/free.

Imo Barbelith wasn't really about bringing a new world physically, but about helping whoever wanted to, to "jump" into the healthy universe before reality collapsed (this means the moment of your death) and this just means choosing to disobey/rebel/question authority
>>
>>81582694
Mr. Evans is just Mr. Mxyptlk but drab instead of clownish.
>>
>>81582566
>that interview where he talks about seeing the Matrix
>at first he loved it and thought it was brilliant
>two years later he realized how much it cribbed from the invisibles and was livid
>>
>>81583096
morrison is suffering
>>
>>81582694
>what inspired Mr. Evans
magic mushrooms. Morrison and his friends were doing a lot of magic mushrooms at the time since they could just go up a nearby mountain and gather them
>>
>>81583096
It took him two years to realize that Matrix ""stole"" from him.
>>
>>81582566
>Any reader in their mid-20s or older will undoubtedly prefer his Doom Patrol run instead
True for me, yes.
>>
>>81584857
He probably assumed they came up with the ideas independently (since Morrison is all about ideas coming to different people on their own he loves that shit) until he read an interview where the directors admitted they ripped off The Invisibles.
>>
>>81581938

shit page, post the cameron stewart one
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.