[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Batman a good father?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 13
Is Batman a good father?
>>
File: tmgm1jj9u4xg9lj3rmoi.png (1 MB, 800x1244) Image search: [Google]
tmgm1jj9u4xg9lj3rmoi.png
1 MB, 800x1244
>>
>>81580123
not by any reasonable metric
>>
>>81580140
I blame Alfred for that one.
>>
>>81580123
No.
Even if you took away the whole dressing them up and letting them fight crime he'd be pretty fucking bad.
>>
He's getting better, but every time he makes progress, something sets him back.
>>
File: tumblr_meqqw56rml1ro2915.jpg (130 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_meqqw56rml1ro2915.jpg
130 KB, 500x250
The New Titans #55
ruce never contacted Dick, so Dick was unable to attend the funeral (of course, he was off world so he might not have been able to anyway, but still). Dick also feels immensely guilty, as though he had a hand in Jason’s death because he passed on the mantle of Robin. Lucky for Dick, he has Kory to help him.

Now we have a flashback to when Dick discovered Jason was dead.
Great parenting, Bruce.
>>
>>81580123
Batman dumped his points into dexterity and intelligence has a negative charisma. He isnt fantastic at social interactions.
>>
>>81580185
And Bruce rubs salt into the wound. Bruce, of course, had no right to “fire” Dick, and it’s atrocious to bring that up in this situation. Not to mention Bruce is blaming the victim: Jason got himself killed because he wouldn’t listen. Finally, Bruce is exaggerating the disobedience of Dick and Jason. Sure, Jason was more disobedient than Dick (who, way back when, was ridiculously obedient), but Jason often did as he was told. Bruce’s obedience issues raise interesting parenting questions: is obedience really a virtue? Do you really want your child to grow up blindly obedient or able to think critically and make his/her own decisions? Obviously, you want some kind of balance; Bruce is lucky his Robins do not always obey because, in the long run, it makes them stronger people and more responsible citizens.
>>
File: tumblr_meqqakco571ro2915.jpg (181 KB, 500x361) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_meqqakco571ro2915.jpg
181 KB, 500x361
>>81580217
Wow, so much going on here.

1) Although Dick is not resentful that Bruce adopted Jason and not him (he just asked in Tales of the Teen Titans #50 - Donna’s wedding), I think he would have had a right to be. Maybe “wardship” wasn’t going to cut it legally once Jason came along, but nothing prevented Bruce from adopting Dick at the same time he adopted Jason. Jason’s adoption easily could have made Dick feel as though he had been replaced by a newer, more loved model rather than that the family was simply expanding. Bruce is exceedingly lucky that Dick is such a forgiving “son,” willing to put up with his crap.

2) Leave your key with Alfred. Damn that’s cold. I choose to believe, based on later issues when Dick is in the cave, that he (no doubt with Alfred’s approval) never
>>
>>81580246
. It never, ever fails to make me cry, what happens.
>>
>>81580185
Why Dick is the only one who gets punches in the face instead of hugs? Bruce, you`re such a…
>>
File: 1444967455788.jpg (40 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1444967455788.jpg
40 KB, 720x720
>>81580217

>Not to mention Bruce is blaming the victim

>implying that there's something wrong with that
>>
>>81580123
He tries
2/4 died
>>
Fuck no.
>>
File: 40_12.jpg (446 KB, 1000x1537) Image search: [Google]
40_12.jpg
446 KB, 1000x1537
>>81580185
>>81580246

But let's not mention taking Dick in after his parents died, giving him the closure Bruce never had, teaching him how to be a superhero, treating him like a son, giving him the best years of his life, etc. Let's rag on him for acting out negatively while in a depressed, angry and very vulnerable state after the death of one of his adopted sons.

And like it's a bad thing to teach kids how to fight crime? It's literally every boy's dream come true. Jason's death was due to fan-mandate so that really can't be attributed to the character at all. Damian's death isn't either since it was the result of him defying Bruce's express orders, and regardless he resurrected him anyway. But I guess you guys would rather just not have any Robins at all, since apparently they're brainwashed child soldiers.

But you know, /co/ hates Batman so every mistake he makes is practically his legacy.
>>
>>81581377
damian is so small cuteeeeeeeee
>>
>>81580123
Short answer, no.
Long answer, hell no.
>>
>>81581377
And Now Bruce Replaced Damian with his favorite Duke . Great parenting...
>>
File: 1441729451408.gif (3 MB, 419x251) Image search: [Google]
1441729451408.gif
3 MB, 419x251
>>81580123
He's barely even a father in the New 52. The only Robin's he could be considered a father to are Damian and Dick kind of. Dick joined Bruce when he was 16 and Bruce was probably late twenties, hardly a father son relationship, more a big brother kind of deal. Jason worked with him like what? One or two years? Tim was straight up only Robin for a year. So Jason and Tim hardly had any time to establish a fatherly bond. New 52 erased any sense of fatherhood by compressing all those years of batman's history into like 5 years.
>>
>>81580123
He's been consistently terrible honestly. Dick is a good man inspite of Bruce not because of him. Jason and Tim got their lives ruined by Bruce. Damian only got better once Dick took him under his wing. Also the whole child soldiers thing has an uncomfortable undertone to it.
>>81581377
>And like it's a bad thing to teach kids how to fight crime? It's literally every boy's dream come true.
>It's totally ok to expose a 10 year old boy to fucking Joker and the rest of his psychopathic pals, murder, drugs, and getting shot at before you've even hit puberty.
Damian is the only one who I kinda accept the need to.
>>
>>81582230
Yep, not to mention Barbara, Stephanie and the others.
>>
>>81582281
Another reason I hate the new 52 is the fucking history compression and the half assed reboot.

Like Babs WAS paralyzed but lol not permanent because reboot but not really a reboot.
>>
File: batmaninc4-4zoo5g.jpg (236 KB, 666x1024) Image search: [Google]
batmaninc4-4zoo5g.jpg
236 KB, 666x1024
Nope.
what a dick.he Special thingie was fairly dark IMHO.
>>
>>81582230

How does the batman timeline work in new52? How old is he? when did he go through all those robins? how do tim and cock and jason jump to their other personas so fast? this compression pretty much kills any emotional impact the robins had
>>
>>81582435
He has only been Batman for 7ish years , he is inhis 30s and not his 40s. So for some reason Talia All Ghoul had sex with some random playbody
>>
Yes, as long as you don't disappoint him.
You will.
>>
Post Wally

You know the one
>>
>>81582230
>The only Robin's he could be considered a father to are Damian and Dick
Actually, he is more of a father to Jason and Damian in N52.

They are pushing Dick as Bruce's brother instead of his son nowadays.
>>
>>81580123
He tries
>>
nooooooooooo...
>>
>>81580338
>Image
HUMMAKAVULLAH!
>>
File: tumblr_m5dzjwf1CD1qf25y1.jpg (237 KB, 484x750) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m5dzjwf1CD1qf25y1.jpg
237 KB, 484x750
Jason: If you won’t kill this psychotic piece of filth…I will. You want to stop me? You’re going to have to kill me. [ … ] All you’ve got is a head-shot. I’m going to blow his addled, deranged brains out—and if you want to stop it…you’re going to have to shoot me. Right in my face.
>>
The incredibly elaborate setup of Under the Red Hood boils down to this moment. He puts a gun in Bruce’s hands and forces him to choose. Kill him—prove that he meant nothing, that he didn’t love him, that his fucked up morality ranked the sickest psychopaths over the little boy he’d called his partner and son—or watch him kill. This is intensely personal. This is a no-win situation for Bruce, and Jason set it up as such—because he has been stuck in the hell of not knowing it the one person he adored and trusted ever loved him. Jason’s pain is palpable; he starts crying, because he knows Bruce won’t do it. Bruce throws a Batarang and slits Jason’s throat. He immediately drops and starts to bleed out. Nobody wins. Even choosing the option that Jason hadn’t laid out ended with Bruce almost killing him.
>>
>>81580123

He is a great parent.
But he isnt parenting his kids to work on the post office.

He is parenting his kids to be THE VERY BEST HUMANITY HAS TO OFFER.

Every one of his sons will be involved in saving the world. He loves his kids and if one of them wants to quit being robin they will be "trained" to be politics to fight poverty, if they don't want to be politics they have to be doctors, if they don't want to be doctors they can be scientist etc.

He wants the very best for his kids. Their lives have to change the world. He is a great parent in the context of having a really different life.
>>
>>81580202
Isn't Bruce Wayne, billionaire philanthropist, charismatic and good at social situations?
>>
>>81590272
Yes but it doesn't carry over to his actual relationships

Acting
>>
>>81587841
He treats them like shit half the time.
>>
>>81580123
No but he tries
He really does
>>
could you be a good father /co/ ?...

could you ?...
>>
>>81592392
Well, he needs to try harder.
>>
>>81592545
The harder he tries the more he fucks up
The more he tries to be distant the more he fucks up
>>
>>81582249
>>It's totally ok to expose a 10 year old boy to fucking Joker and the rest of his psychopathic pals, murder, drugs, and getting shot at before you've even hit puberty.
Jason Todd grew up on the mean streets of Gotham. The first time Batman found him, he turned him over to a boys' home ran by a sweet old lady... who turned out to be a Fagin using them as a thieves' ring. So, yeah, Jason would have grown up surrounded by the worst aspects of Gotham regardless of whether or not Batman took him in.
>>
File: Robin 009 - 21.jpg (232 KB, 898x1356) Image search: [Google]
Robin 009 - 21.jpg
232 KB, 898x1356
>>81581377
>But you know, /co/ hates Batman so every mistake he makes is practically his legacy.
Oh no love, you're not alone
You're watching yourself, but you're too unfair
you got your head all tangled up, but if I could only
make you care
Oh no, love, you're not alone
No matter, what or who you've been
No matter when, or where you've seen
all the knives seem to lacerate your brain
I've had my share, I'll help you with the pain
YOU'RE NOT ALONE
>>
>>81581377
>But you know, /co/ hates Batman
Ha.
>>
Depends on the story or run, in a way. The entire idea of Robin became gradually more and more absurd as Batman got more violent and pulpy. Having Robin around for more nuanced stories or stories with a more strict fidelity to reality (or at least psychological/emotional reality) can be interesting, but it comes at the cost of Bruce looking actually insane. There are plenty of stories where Robin (or at least Nightwing) fits comfortably without much trouble, but it can be hard to do. Especially given how condensed the New 52 made the Batman timeline.

I've always thought Batman worked better on his own, but characters like Dick can provide interesting angles.
>>
/r/ing Green Arrow roasting Batman about going through three Robins.
>>
>>81580123
To you idiots saying no, he trained these people that would have became heroes or villains on their own and probably died in the attempt.

So while you may not agree hes a good parent you can't make the argument any of these orphans would have been better off without him. Even Tim's dad got killed by something completely unrelated.
>>
>>81582585
this whole conversation they had really got to me when I read it
>>
File: child safety.jpg (407 KB, 1251x894) Image search: [Google]
child safety.jpg
407 KB, 1251x894
>>81582601
happily
>>
>>81595853
Every time
>>
>>81592346
That shows that you had never touched a batman comics, aside from dixon's era bruce is always fair.
>>
>>81595853
>>81596175

Wally was in the wrong there.
>>
>>81596447
Nope.
>>
>>81592346
What an asshole
>>
>>81596542
Yeah now post the one where he calls up Jason for bonding time only to ask him questions about his rebirth at the place Jason got beaten to death because he wants to bring Damien back.
>>
>>81596502
How is he not wrong?
He is putting untrained kids that can't even read at risk. After what happened when his identity was public he is totally wrong.

You cant compare VOLUNTEERS (13, 16 years old in that continuity, and 15 in the case of steph) to kids that are barely not toddlers trying to run after his dad.
>>
>>81596720
Everybody knows shitting on one child to prop up another is fantastic parenting, anon.
>>
>>81596720
And how is that being a bad parent?
>>
>>81596751
How many oportunities did he gave to jason?
>>
>>81596783
>>81596824
Tomasi pls go
>>
>>81596727
Batman didn't even said anything about training.
He was completely general about being of young age.
>>
>>81597005
They have HALF the age the youngest Robin (at that moment) had.
Both and Jason and Steph died for not obbeying Batman. Wally is plain wrong it's a shitty image made by a writter that wanted to make batman look like an hypocrite.
>>
>>81597502
And they were still kids, so Batman has no room to complain about Wally's kids.
>>
>>81597629
So it's bad writting by a writter that wanted to make bruce look bad?
>>
>>81598109
>Batman must have no character flaws
Typical Batfags
>>
>>81598143
That's OUT of character for Batman, not a character flaw for fucks sake. It's bad writting as simple as that.
>>
>>81598403
What exactly is out of character?
You just said he was right.
>>
>>81581377
i like the art in this one, clean and clear, which artists worked on it?
>>
>>81598524
>>81598524
>What exactly is out of character?
Why would he say that?
>>81598524
I said Wally was wrong, not that Batman was rigth.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.