[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHERE DISNEY CANON GETS IT WRONG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: areyoukiddingme.png (3 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
areyoukiddingme.png
3 MB, 1080x1920
I actually really liked Gillen's Darth Vader series until this. I liked that they incorporated the prequels and tried to make it as consistent as possible with previous works. I didn't mind the hamfisted cameos from Jabba and Boba Fett. But what really bugged me was that they decided that Vader fights Luke before Empire, and that Vader knows Luke's identity before Empire. It removes significance from the movie and puts it undeservedly on the comic book. It's still an enjoyable book but nowhere near the original trilogy, and Disney needs to keep the focus there.
>>
>>81576613
Well he knew Luke's name by the time of Empire, so presumably he found out that name somehow, somewhere.
>>
>>81576613
You are several months too late.

Yes, Disney is raping the franchise worse than in the opinion of TRUE FANS the prequels did the original trilogy.

We know.

And now you know it too.
>>
Everything you've just criticized Disney for doing was already canon decades ago.
>>
I remember /swco/ talking about how Disnay is also trying to humanize the empire and how gray moralty dosn't belong in SW
>>
Who draw that shit, it looks Land tier.
>>
>>81579607
Larocca
He also like to trace a lot.
I dunno why Marvel insists on making Gillen work with tracers.
>>
>>81576613
Why do you feel the need to criticize Disney?
>>
File: tmp_8006-WLxSIjXh-1298506825.jpg (107 KB, 1024x637) Image search: [Google]
tmp_8006-WLxSIjXh-1298506825.jpg
107 KB, 1024x637
>>81579607
Close, it's Larroca.
>>
>>81579455
That was a thing for ages under Dark Horse, and it was awesome. The Empire arc with Luke's childhood friend who was an officer was one of my favourites.
>>
>>81579690
He could at least try not to let the trace look awful.
>>
>>81576613
>Vader knows Luke's identity before Empire
But he already knows. In his very first scene in ESB, he says "I'm sure Skywalker is with them" when they show him the base on Hoth. You're getting mad about something that was already a thing 36 years ago. Thirty six!
>>
>>81580693

to be fair, the universe is 4.8 billion years old. 36 years is nothing
>>
>>81576613
>and that Vader knows Luke's identity before Empire

To be fair there is no scene in empire when Vader realizes Luke is his son. He calls him Skywalker as soon as he sees him which implies he learned this before. I do agree that Luke fighting Vader before Empire is shit though but Vader not trying to find out the identity of the guy who blew up the Death Star is equally absurd
>>
>>81578774

This

It's literally the first book in the expanded universe
>>
>>81579455
Are there any books that humanizes the empire? Being the contrarian I am I always thought there was more to the empire than the nazi symbolism and Based Vader
>>
>>81580981
> there is no scene in empire when Vader realizes Luke is his son. He calls him Skywalker
>there is no scene
>he calls him Skywalker

Anon...
>>
>>81581115

What? He already fucking knew is my point
>>
>>81581165
Carry on, Admiral.
>>
>Farmboy blows up the largest weapon in the Empire's arsenal
>Vader felt the Force through him
>Chances of people not spreading tales of Luke Skywalker blowing up the Death Star are literally non-existent
>"How could Vader know Luke's name?"

Are you people fucking stupid? Everyone in the Galaxy knows Luke's fucking name. He's fucking famous, and not even for being a Jedi yet.
>>
The fact that he knows who Luke is isn't a problem. By the time we reach the fight in Empire, he clearly already knows, hence the plan to capture him.

I do agree that them fighting before them is dumb and anti-climatic though.

Still bettter plot development than 7.
>>
>>81581802
Vader knowing about Luke before Empire actually makes it better IMO as we can look back and go 'oh, so that's why Vader was so obessed about him at the beginning of the movie'.
>>
>>81580693
Yeah but does he know he's his son? Skywalker is a common name
>>
I don't know I was okay with most of that, but if they ever try to make Palpatine even the least bit sympathetic THEN I'll be really pissed off. that dude works BECAUSE he is just the biggest utter dickbag in the galaxy.
>>
>>81583355
Palpatine was just preparing the galaxy for the Vong
>>
>>81583351
>Skywalker is a common name
Do you have proof of that?

Also, how many Skywalkers are force sensitive?

And did Vader know that it was the same boy travelling with Obi Wan Kenobi? Because that narrows it down a lot.
>>
>>81583373
Lucas has stated in interviews that Skywalker is as common a name as Smith, basicly.
>>
Doing likenesses for a comic book is super fucking hard, especially if the company that owns the property is anal about it. Tracing/copying is almost required just to appease them and do the work on time.
>>
>>81583351
>The Rebellion has an ace pilot named Skywalker
>He is strong in the force
>He lived on Tatooine
>He had some involvememt with the Lars homestead
>Obi Wan was involved somehow

Even with just that info it is obvious. It's Leia Vader is clueless about until ROTJ
>>
>>81576613
Who the fuck cares about canon
>>
>>81583414
Source?
>>
>>81578774
EU was never canon
>>
>>81581243
Many Star Wars fans are unfortunately fucking idiots. Comes with the broad appeal of the OT I suppose.
>>
>>81576613
>and that Vader knows Luke's identity before Empire.
But this was in the movie.
>>
>>81576613
Vader did learn about Luke's identity before the start of Episode V anon... This is completely in line with the movie.
>>
Why is /co/ literally the worst place for discussing Star Wars? There are peope here who don't even now what happens in the movies and they still bitch about the EU
>>
>>81581046
Legacy?
>>
>>81583414
No it's been stated that Antilles is the Smith of SW. He has never said anything about Skywalker=Smith.
>>
>>81583351
>Sir, we shot up the Lars farm like you asked but the Skywalker boy wasn't home.
>So we shot up some Jawas we encountered who'd traded with the Lars farm recently.
>We think the boy is hiding out in Ra'ti, and there's a possibility he may be teeny.
>We definitely don't think he's tall enough to be a stormtrooper based on their description.

>Excellent, commander, and the junkyard owned by the Toydarian?

>The budget didn't stretch to that, sir. You'll have to wait for the 4k Special Edition after Episode IX.

BA BA BA BOH BE BA BOH BE BAH Bwuhhhhh
>>
Thanks to Disney fags and cartoon obsessed retards, /co/ IS the worst place to discuss Star Wars. Can't point out bullshit in the Marvel comic without dumbfuck faggots screaming "EU FAG!"
>>
>Palpatine: I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker
>Vader: How is that possible?
Remember this scene from Empire Strikes Back? Of course you don't because you retards love comics and cartoons so much that you pretend that the Disney comics and cartoons are a more primary source than the original fucking movies
Normal fans: 1
/co/ Disney shills: 0
>>
>>81592365
Literally in this thread it's been pointed out that, contrary to OP's belief, Vader knows about Skywalker in the opening of ESB. Hell, it probably says as much in the fucking crawl.

You've really got to question the competence of an Empire that loses a superweapon to a rookie pilot and can't find out who he is and where he's from. As soon as Vader knows that name, it's clear there's a connection.

But hey keep getting mad and when Rogue One comes out and shits all over your headcanon, you can be mad at that too.
>>
>>81592677
see >>81592509
>>
>>81592509
That's not the original way the scene went. It used to be like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKtciRCVpFE

In the beginning of ESB, Vader had already connected the dots like this anon mentioned >>81583421
He knew Luke was his son. He was already hunting for him in the hopes that he could turn him into an ally, so they could turn on the emperor together.
I think in that edited dialogue, he's trying to bluff the emperor and pretend being oblivious.
>>
File: 8924580034351.jpg (17 KB, 520x272) Image search: [Google]
8924580034351.jpg
17 KB, 520x272
>>81576613
Holy shit, I thought Luke there was a shop
>>
>>81592509
Vader was playing dumb because he wanted to use Luke to kill the emperor.

>join me and we can rule the galaxy as father and son
>>
>>81592509
>watching Special Edition trash
>>
File: 012.jpg (32 KB, 600x373) Image search: [Google]
012.jpg
32 KB, 600x373
>>81576613
Vader always knew Luke's identity before ESB before Lucas decided to retcon it in one of the special editions. Good to see justice restored.
>>
>>81580997
Is it? What book then?
>>
>>81580997
EU was never canon
>>
>>81592746

He knew something was up.

I like the comics with it being confirmed to him and going into a rage. Then plotting against the Emperor.

I really want to know what Vader possibly built but ever used against the Emperor.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.