[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just saw this movie. Why the fuck were the reviews so mediocre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: The_Good_Dinosaur_poster.jpg (154 KB, 300x444) Image search: [Google]
The_Good_Dinosaur_poster.jpg
154 KB, 300x444
Just saw this movie.

Why the fuck were the reviews so mediocre? I really liked it. I probably have the same amount of problems/nitpicks with Inside Out as with this movie, so I don't know why people didn't like this one as much.
What did you guys think about it?
>>
I didn't really get what was wrong with it either. I went in expecting it to be really crude and obnoxious the way people were talking about it, but it's kind of subdued and pleasant. Hell, the kid acting like a dog isn't pushed as much as the trailers led on, he's portrayed as 'human' on a number of occasions.

Cars and Brave are far worse films.
>>
It's not original. I don't think that's a problem, but people do. The animation was gorgeous
>>
It just felt really underwhelming overall. The animation was all it had going for it, while the plot lacked any substance.
>>
>>81564759
This. Its very by the books in terms of what the dinosaur is going through.
>>
>>81564759
There wasn't really a plot because that wasn't the focus. Arlo's growth as a person was all that mattered, it's a coming-of-age story. Everything that happened in the movie was purely there to make him grow as a person.
>>
It's a bit unfair, but as a studio they do have to acknowledge the fact that the standards of quality they themselves set with their work will be (incrementally) held against them . Still, if I was a professional critic I'd be somewhat embarrassed about basing my review in the "not as good as the others" framework.
>>
It didn't do the coming-of-age journey as well as Land Before Time, and didn't do the lost human schtick as well as Ice Age. The movie wasn't bad, but it was competing with two well-known giants.
>>
I'm still mad he didn't try to domesticate the human family.
>>
>>81567968
More mouths to feed during the winter.
>>
It's really formulaic without interesting execution, the jarring tone between lighthearted and depressing moment, meh protagonist, and potentially wasted.

They have a great setup to introduce the modern dinosaur world with the whole asteroid didn't earth thing, but guess what, they chosed the safer and more familiar way to tell the story without interesting worldbuilding. I thought Pixar always like taking a risk to tell the story, but in here, no. It felt perfectly safe and bland.

The only thing keeping my eyes is the photorealistic visual environment and Spot. Oh, and the t-rexes, they were enjoyable
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.