[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We have been told that Superman's Identity being revealed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: vqlGqVb.png (390 KB, 638x449) Image search: [Google]
vqlGqVb.png
390 KB, 638x449
We have been told that Superman's Identity being revealed would be earth shattering for him and the people close to him. Then it happens and it turns out not so bad. So have we been lied to this whole time?
>>
His parents were already dead.
>>
>>81557806
I mean, he got fired. That can be pretty earth-shattering
>>
>>81557941
>WILL SAVE THE PLANET FOR FOOD
>>
>>81557941
He's going to have a hell of a time finding another job as a reporter
>>
I like the secret identity for Clark but in my mind that kind of outside drama hasn't been the reason he shouldn't be public. He'd find a way to make sure his people were safe. It's more of a peace of mind thing to me, that he can live a life outside of being ogled 24/7. This is a shitty comparison, but kind of the same mentality as something like Hannah Montana. Being famous in general is kind of a nuisance.

It also goes back into how you think about Superman and your preferred interpretation of that Clark Kent/Superman balancing act. Some people like the idea of Superman being the icon and humanizing him (whether that is in the meta sense or in-universe) is a negative to him because he shouldn't truly be approachable. But others do see that as even more empowering that a guy with a normal upbringing could inspire such great things.

There's no real right or wrong answer in any case. If it works for the creators they'll keep it around a while. If it doesn't, they'll find a way to sweep it under the rug.
>>
>>81558446
The right answer is the only times Superman stops being Clark Kent are when he goes evil
>>
>>81558430
Does he still have the blog from early in the new 52? He'd probably make a ton of money in hits from people pulling up that site to read his old stuff. Though I think the government froze his assets right when the reveal happened, but that's probably easy enough to smooth over.
>>
superman's identity was never about him being more vulnerable but about him not wanting to be superman all the damn time

it's easy to deal with showing up once in awhile to stop a plane crash, harder to deal with the hatemail about not doing so consistantly
>>
>>81557894
>>81557806
You know Luthor would be kidnapping Lois every damn week.
>>
>>81558600
He still gets "why didn't you save X" letters as Superman
>>
>>81557806

The government basically kidnapped all his friends and took his childhood home, oh and emptied the graves of his parents. So you know, not much.
>>
>>81558665
That's an inconvenience that could have been avoided but it's not a long term issue. When people talk about his loved ones being in danger they mean from supervillains. And only really Lana and Smallville itself are added targets in that sense.
>>
>>81558644
yeah and then Clark throws them in the garbage and eats a bowl full of ice cream to feel better while watching a "It's a wonderful life" rerun

meanwhile Superman continues to be invincible
>>
>>81558665
>oh and emptied the graves of his parents
Please tell me Clark fucked up someone up for that.
>>
>>81557806
God I miss his swirly hair. Buzzed looks so fucking generic
>>
>>81558897
More or less yeah and it's part of the reason he broke up with WW as I think she used her lasso to help with interrogations or something. That arc was kind of shitty, didn't even really fit in with the facts of the reveal. I don't know what Tomasi was doing on that book or if something just changed along the way and he didn't get the memo.
>>
File: act_807_007.png (402 KB, 421x517) Image search: [Google]
act_807_007.png
402 KB, 421x517
>>81558884
He reads and keeps every single one
>>
File: manofdepression.jpg (174 KB, 669x558) Image search: [Google]
manofdepression.jpg
174 KB, 669x558
>>81558600
If only Superman had some place far off that let him get away from it all. Probably surrounded by lot's of snow and ice where no one can find him. Some sort of Fortress of Quietness to escape the outside world.
>>
>>81560055
But Clark doesn't want to escape the outside world, he wants to be a part of it.
>>
>>81560055
>>81560424
The fortress is just a proto-mancave not a proper home in itself.
>>
>>81558511
>the only times Superman stops being Clark Kent are when he goes evil
Not true. Batman Beyond, Red Son, Kingdom Come all involve Supes ditching the dual identity with happy endings.
>>
>>81558962
He already has it back this week.
>>
>>81560655
Calling Batman Beyond a happy ending is dubious considering he was controlled by Starro for a long period of time.
>>
>>81560725
its a happy ending if you are starro
>>
>>81558446
>because he shouldn't truly be approachable

Honestly that seems insane to me, that's the kind of logic that gets us Snyder's shit. Clark should be the most approachable hero in the DCU.
>>
>>81560823
I agree with you so I might be representing their argument inaccurately because I can't wrap my head around it that well.
>>
>>81560655
Kingdom Come has him ditching the Superman identity by the end, as does Red Son

So, kind of the opposite of the point you were trying to make
>>
>>81560655
When did he ditch the secret identity in Kingdom Come? It's been a while so i've forgotten some of it but I sincerely hope you aren't referring to Superman ditching the planet for several decades to sit around being depressed until his homeland gets nuked to fuck as a happy ending. He also seems like he went back to the Clark Ken identity at the end.
>>
>>81560988
>boning Diana until at least the year 3000
It's a pretty happy ending
>>
>>81557806
>t shirt soups now represents the entire mythos

Go find a non-shit representation of the character to base your argument on and we'll talk.
>>
>>81561483
>T-shirt Supes
>awful
Fuck off
>>
>>81561483
What other incarnation of Superman has had his identity publicly outted?
>>
>>81560988
In KC he doesn't break cover, he just stops being Kent.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.