[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Tropes/clichés you enjoy >Protagonist and Antagonist/Rival
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 20
File: Thumbs-and-Ammo-15.jpg (85 KB, 600x440) Image search: [Google]
Thumbs-and-Ammo-15.jpg
85 KB, 600x440
ITT: Tropes/clichés you enjoy

>Protagonist and Antagonist/Rival get handcuffed together
>>
>antagonist and protagonist take a bath together
>>
>It's an episode that focuses on a supporting characters
>BONUS: the main character doesn't appear
>>
>>81551216
What's the appeal of this? I see it in a lot of comics and cartoons. Is it some kind of kink?
>>
> Antagonist and Protagonist sleep together
Fooooolish samoor eye!
>>
File: homer.png (319 KB, 624x480) Image search: [Google]
homer.png
319 KB, 624x480
>antagonist joins the protagonist towards the end of the series changing his evil ways
OR
>protagonist becomes an antagonist either for a few episodes or for the remainder of the series
>>
>>81551636
Hate sex
>>
>>81551671

>protagonist becomes an antagonist either for a few episodes or for the remainder of the series

Where this ever happened?
>>
File: 2m3si8o.gif (2 MB, 476x320) Image search: [Google]
2m3si8o.gif
2 MB, 476x320
>Tough, grizzled old character, not all that nice or considerate of the younger characters.
>Suddenly, kids in danger
>Dad Mode Engage!
>Proceeds to fuck up whoever or whatever was threatening the kids so hard he's like a force of nature.
>"Nobody hurts my kids."

Love that shut. Love it so much.
>>
File: EVERY TIME.jpg (123 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
EVERY TIME.jpg
123 KB, 768x576
>>81551216
>Antagonist disguises himself as the protagonist mom and has to avoid having sex with the father of the protagonist
>>
>>81551646
i still feel bad that that's the only ship i have for that series. in my defense, wouldn't you 63!aku?
>>
>>81551636
Wacky shenanigans

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ChainedHeat
>>
File: tm046.jpg (39 KB, 395x265) Image search: [Google]
tm046.jpg
39 KB, 395x265
> Antagonist's Subordinate is loyal to Antagonist
> Antagonist is loyal to Subordinate.
pic related.
>>
When someone dies and actually stays dead.

You almost had it, Wakfu
>>
File: fry3.gif (19 KB, 320x264) Image search: [Google]
fry3.gif
19 KB, 320x264
>>81551844
>Antagonist disguises himself as the protagonist mom and has to avoid having sex with the protagonist
>>
>>81551760
>Where this ever happened?
nearly every mind control/corruption arc

also in the Desert Punk anime/manga the main character joins the villains side and his protege becomes the main character
>>
>>81551844
I cant believe that they really did that on Dexter.
>>
>>81551216
>episode from the antagonist POV
>his day is 100% average
>>
>>81551906
I didn't hear him raise much objection when Starscream chucked Megatron's crippled ass out into space.
>>
>>81551834
>Dad Mode Engage!
So you enjoyed the finale of Homestuck I take it?
>>
>>81552244
Megatron didn't raise any objection to Soundwave's lack of action either. No way would Megatron blame Soundwave for doing what he did.
>>
>>81551216
>people asked to remove all their weapons
>reveals and removes more weapons than it seems they should need/be able to carry
>"and the rest"
>take out even more weapons from somewhere
>gives stern look
>pulls out teeny tiny gun or knife
>>
File: 1447578855613.jpg (55 KB, 438x458) Image search: [Google]
1447578855613.jpg
55 KB, 438x458
>Antagonist used to be student of the protagonist's mentor
>Someone on the Antagonist's side used to be on the Protagonist's side
>also vice versa
That's my weakness
>>
this is a much smaller thing, but i like when captains say something fairly straightforward and sometimes their lieutenants translate that into the technical jargon commands that they intended.

atlantis the lost empire:
rourke: tell cookie to melt the butter and break out the bibs. i want this lobster served up on a silver platter.
helga: arm torpedos and man the battlepods, go fight that leviathan thing (etc)

avengers
some subordinate: uh nick, the engines are fucked, so is the navigation computer. where do we land?
fury: is the sun up?
some subordinate: y-eah?
fury: then put it on the left!
>>
>>81552697
>Protagonist loses a gentle wallflower-ish friend to the darkside
>Regardless of brainwashing, corruption, or just betrayal they have to 'get them back'
>They eventually do defeat the villain/free their changed friend
>Either they come back to the hero with their changed personality, or tell hero to fuck off and go rogue/full on anti-hero
I cannot resist this. Is this even a trope? It practically never happens.
>>
>>81551760
Its usually something to do with purity, like the green lantern animated tv show.
Thats the easiest motivation to flip.
>>
File: chase.png (111 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
chase.png
111 KB, 500x281
>>81552810
Two examples in Beast Machines IIRC
>one got "enlightened" and do his own thing, tell both sides to fuck off
>another got back to hero's side, but brood about how much he enjoyed being corrupted/"free"

Also, my favorite:
>rival is an evil clone to the hero, sometimes better in most ways
>it's a one-sided rivalry
>>
>protagonist and antagonist work together temporarily against everyone else, heroes and villains alike
>>
>One of the heroes gets brainwashed/corrupted
>Fights another hero
>"I know you're in there somewhere!"
>Bonus if they are love interests
>>
>A battle scene or scene with large conflict
>The protagonist and the antagonist look at each other from a distance
>They either charge towards each other or both make their escape, going to settle their conflict for another time.
>>
File: 1308920385763.jpg (45 KB, 530x460) Image search: [Google]
1308920385763.jpg
45 KB, 530x460
>musical episode bonus points if they use classical
>rashomon episodes
>fastball specials
>the smart villain just goes full nigger when mad
>you and what army
>X is behind me
>>
>love interest's ex boyfriend is better looking/ has a bigger dick than MC
>>
>>81551216
>Holiday episode, everyone kinda just gets along for the day.
I dunno why, it's just comfy.
>>
>>81554295
Fuck I love that one
>>
>>81551216
>main hero completely and absolutely loses their shit and steamrolls over everything and everyone in their path
>>
>>81552287
I've never read Homestuck.

What happened?
>>
File: franco-so-good.gif (779 KB, 227x170) Image search: [Google]
franco-so-good.gif
779 KB, 227x170
>>81551834
>the tough, stern badass has a soft spot for kids
>>
File: DookuGold.jpg (147 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
DookuGold.jpg
147 KB, 1024x768
>>81554915
>the gentle or quiet guy finally snapped
>>
>An Antagonist that absolutely terrifies the hero.
>>
>>81554993
>silent guy went berserk, steamrolled everything and died on the same episode
>>
>>81552678
This is never not funny.

Also, not sure why, but I always laugh when people yell things from off-screen.
>>
>>81551216
Comic relief suddenly turns badass
>>
>Everyone left their costume at home, is wearing casual winter clothing and plans to have a quiet time while feeling normal for a change
>Obviously, some villian (usually one that nobody gives a fuck about) comes and tries to ruin it

And another of my favs

>Main character lost his powers and has to punch or shoot his way out of trouble
>>
>a guy is big
>>
>An antagonist or anti-hero has a code of honour, and for the most part actually sticks to it.

I probably really started liking this one with the second episode of Beast Wars, where Dinobot refuses to accept victory over Optimus Primal on a technicality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VND2Ofud6I
>>
File: Farage2.jpg (12 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
Farage2.jpg
12 KB, 300x400
>the villain gets a chance to kill a bunch of dudes to show off how badass he is
>hypes him up for the final showdown with the hero
>>
>Innocent, adorable and friendly creature is actually a feral killing machine when provoked.
>>
>>81552244
>>81552586
Soundwave is a loyal Decepticon.
>>
File: 1456073208898.png (361 KB, 386x406) Image search: [Google]
1456073208898.png
361 KB, 386x406
>>81551216
The villain is a big guy for the protagonist
>>
>>81551636
It forces two people who wouldn't otherwise interact or help each other to work together.

It's just fun to see enemies, or characters who don't usually interact, have to do things together, and the handcuff trope provides a good frame for it. Or a more metaphorical handcuff, where they're stuck in a situation where they have to work together or they both die, and can't/won't just kill each other.
>>
>the antagonist is replaced by a much more dangerous villain
or
>The Hero is injured by a new villain and the antagonists unite to stop the new guy destroying everything
>>
>>81551760
Xiaolin Showdown had Omi turn bad for the start of season 3
>>
File: 1459412768290.gif (1 MB, 245x285) Image search: [Google]
1459412768290.gif
1 MB, 245x285
>>81551671
This. I barely see falls from grace anymore.

Especially in cartoons, they are almost always too busy featuring good role models to ever actually have someone turn evil and not regret it and be redeemed by the power of friendship and shit.
Young Justice especially was just the worst with that. You can't tease pretty much every single character in the show going evil and then not have fucking ANYONE actually go evil. Fuck.
>>
>>81552244
If I remember correctly, in some earlier drafts of the script, Soundwave would have fought for the leadership of the Decepticons for the sole purpose of getting Astrotrain to turn around and retrieve Megatron.
>>
>Protagonist and antagonists were once friends
>>
>New villain comes along.
>Normal villain teams up with the hero because "If anyone's gonna take over the world/kill you, it's gonna be me"
>>
File: thumbs up.jpg (10 KB, 350x270) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.jpg
10 KB, 350x270
>antagonist is actually a really nice guy, he just happens to be on the wrong side
>even though he agrees with the protagonist in some ways, he won't change sides because his loyalty is too strong

Love. That. Shit.
>>
Is that picture real op, please respond
>>
>>81559158
It's a shop. It's from some site that takes stills from action movies and replaces all guns with thumbs-ups.
>>
>Protagonist finds out that long time antagonist has a tragic backstory
>Protagonist tries to appeal to antagonists humanity, to get him to give up his evil ways
>Villain shrug shoulders and says he doesn't give a shit, loves being an irredeemable asshole

Sometimes it's just refreshing to have a villain who's just a dick for the sake of being one.
>>
File: captain facepalm.jpg (18 KB, 250x321) Image search: [Google]
captain facepalm.jpg
18 KB, 250x321
>>81551216
>Villians win in the second episode
>they also score several victories/partial victories throughout the series
Pic so goddamn related
>>
File: pulp_thumb christian d.jpg (338 KB, 1000x419) Image search: [Google]
pulp_thumb christian d.jpg
338 KB, 1000x419
>>81559158
http://thumbsandammo.blogspot.nl/
>>
>remix of main theme plays during final battle
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.