[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Current Marvel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
File: all new all different.jpg (875 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
all new all different.jpg
875 KB, 1280x720
What current Marvel books should I be reading?

I haven't been reading Marvel since pre Secret Wars

But the other day I picked up all of Ultimates and New Avengers and they were amazing. I also picked up everything from Avengers: Standoff and loved it.

I'm a little lost with all of the soft reboots lately. What should I be checking out?
>>
>>81549715
VISION
>>
>>81549715
Vision is great. My favorite along with Ultimates.

Black Widow, Hercules, Squadron Supreme, Captain Marvel and Karnak are also pretty good.
>>
>>81549789
Oh and Contest of Champions, forgot about that. Definitely read it if you like Ultimates and New Avengers, it's written by the same guy.
>>
The Ultimates
Captain America
Amazing Spider-Man
Spider-Man
Invincible Iron Man
Spider-Man and Deadpool
Karnak
ANAD Avengers
>>
>>81549715
>What should I be checking out?

DC
>>
File: 1458768091418.png (4 MB, 1920x1476) Image search: [Google]
1458768091418.png
4 MB, 1920x1476
>>81549715
Only one I'm buying anymore is Ultimates. Read Ultimates.
It might also be the basis of the next mahoosive Secret Wars-tier event like how Hickvengers was so get on the ride early.
>>
>>81549895
>only DC has good comics right now
I'm tired of this meme. Omega Men and Midnighter are my favorite Big Two ongoings right now, but Marvel also has some good stuff like Vision and Ultimates.

I'll never understand being a company drone like that, both DC and Marvel have good stuff and bad stuff right now.
>>
>>81549715

Deadpool
Spider-Man & Deadpool
>>
>>81549715

Spiderman/Deadpool
Red Wolf
Vision
Black Knight
>>
>>81549895
Will we're here. I haven't read DC since before Convergence.

I read mostly Batman and Justice League.

What should I be checking out from DC?

I was just gonna wait til Rebirth but I've a lot
of free time.
>>
Ultimates
Contest of Champions
New Avengers
Red Wolf
Vision
Hercules
Scarlet Witch
Uncanny X-Men
Spidey
Spider-Man/Deadpool
Doctor Strange
Uncanny Avengers

Al Ewin's books are some of the best ensemble books I've read in a long time
>>
>>81549715
Captain Marvel & Vision, definitely. You should read Contest of Champions as well, it's by the same writer as Ultimates & NA.
>>
READ CARNAGE and uncanny x-men, who would say Bunn was going to become THE x-men writer in ANAD marvel.
>>
>>81550247
A
L
E
RETARD
T
>>
Lotta people recommending bad books ITT.
>>
>>81550239
Not counting Vertigo:
>Omega Men
>Grayson
>Midnighter

My Marvel picks are:
>Vision
>Al Ewing's books (New Avengers, Ultimates and Contest of Champions - but primarily the first two)

You might also want to consider Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Black Panther and Captain Marvel from Marvel because they are all okay enough.

From Vertigo:
>Sheriff of Babylon
>Unfollow
>Clean Room
>Astro City
>>
>>81549715
karnak
ultimates
uncanny inhumans
ms marvel
new avengers
all new inhumans
>>
>>81550247
>Uncanny X-Men
You serious? Those books are complete garbage right now and All New X-men is no better.
>>
>>81550449
I have been reading Sheriff of Babylon its great.
>>
File: 1420464386198.jpg (20 KB, 420x300) Image search: [Google]
1420464386198.jpg
20 KB, 420x300
I remember when Ultimates was getting "ew no" responses when suggested in these threads.
Did the latest issue really turn people around on it that much?
The next one definitely will.
>>
moon knight next week

and droctor strange
>>
>>81549715
Vision
New Avengers
Red Wolf
>>
>>81550497
all of ultimates got story timed right before that chapter and said chapter got a lot more replies than the previous chapters. now every rec thread has it
>>
>>81550497
The first three issues were kinda bleh but it's really been picking up since then. The latest issue had amazing art, gets points for developing Mac in a way beyond 'I am tumblr, hear me roar' and the whole canonization of the sliding timescale was a deft touch too.
>>
>>81550627
Wait. Mac is Tumblr?

Did I miss something?
>>
>>81549944
Waifufag spotted.
>>
>>81550497
most people who said not to read it did so because they don't like Ewing, don't like Carol, don't like Monica, don't like Blue Marvel and/or don't like Black Panther, on principle, because they have to bring politics into everything
>>
>>81550692
being lesbian and brown = tumblr anon
>>
>>81550692
she's a smug, ethnic lesbian from the lesbian dimension, who became a superhero out of raw desire to help rather than some tragic backstory, and that offends people
>>
>>81550825
She did have the dead parents tragedy but otherwise that is 100% correct
>>
>>81550497
the stuff with the timeline and eternity in chains won Ewing the hypercrisis votes. If he introduces a cute young girl and gets the waifuite cotes too I think he has a good chance in the election
>>
>>81550239
>Omega Men
>Midnighter
>Prez
>Grayson
>All Star Section 8
>>
>>81550239
Batman Europa
>>
>>81550692
Yeah, Mac is tumblr. She's an ethnic minority lesbian who is egotistical as hell and constantly tells people where to go.

I'm not meaning that in a derogatory way, just that she fits in with that stereotype and some (worse, lazier) writers will stop and end her characterization there. Ewing takes interesting elements of her backstory that haven't been capitalized on - like how her heroism is sort of inherently dependent on her leaving a utopian dimension, and the extent to which that is altruism vs. ego - and rolls with it. Which is good. I don't have any problem with Mac as a character.
>>
>>81550876
>New Avengers got him the kaiju votes
>Mac and POD got him the yuri votes
He's becoming unstoppable!
>>
>>81551396
It's all about the writer really, there's no inherently bad character. A great writer can take even the most retarded concept and make it work.

Diversity in comics itself is not the problem, the problem is bad writers not knowing how to make those "diverse" characters work. I have no problem with a team like Ultimates being made of mostly minorities as long as the writing is good.
>>
Ultimates sucks. Don't get all wanking off for this one. In one issue they go "outside the universe" and their the ship starts getting crushed because there was "more absence" then they expected. Silly nonsense. Art is garish too.
>>
The Ultimates
>>
>>81551502
>requested POD and Troll going on a cute date in the drawthread
>got accused of being a shitposter
>>
>>81551851
>more absence" then they expected.
there was complete absence. Including no laws of physics to keep the atomic bonds of their ship intact, or the energy reactions that composited their shielding from collapsing
>>
Uncanny Inhuman is maybe my favourite. Some very memorable locations, panels, events etc. Great serious artwork, even in spite of tacticool Black Bolt.

Captain America is great mix of serious movie inspired adventure that brings in some real life issues and politics, and the wackiness only comics can get away with. Captain America turns into a wolf for a few issues, for instance. It's great.

Ant-Man similar, more silly and humorous but has heart.

Weirdworld had a all around great first issue, as did Black Panther, looking forward to reading more.

Vision, obviously.

Everything else probably sucks.
>>
>>81549715
Vision
Spencer's books aren't bad
People seem to like the new Black Widow, though I can't make myself appreciate it.
>>
File: 1459889421490.jpg (63 KB, 440x337) Image search: [Google]
1459889421490.jpg
63 KB, 440x337
>>81550789
>no "don't like Chavez"
J
ONE
B
>>
>>81550764
...What?
>>
File: cornettefun2.jpg (8 KB, 166x200) Image search: [Google]
cornettefun2.jpg
8 KB, 166x200
>>81551851
It's like you've never even Gurren Lagann'd.
>Art is garish
Maybe Hellcat's more your pace.
>>
>>81549715
how many times per day are you going to shill that crap?
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.