[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the verdict on this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11
File: v1.jpg (272 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
v1.jpg
272 KB, 800x1200
What's the verdict on this?
>>
I fucking loved it, it's just a shame how the villain wasn't anyone with a recognisable name. They should have called him The Bogeyman or something.

I run tabletop games, every Christmas do a little mini-arc. Always feature this Santa.
>>
>>81549331
The tooth fairy was cute. SS with Jack was nice.
>>
>>81549363
It was the Boogeyman though.
>>
Wish they did more with Pitch.
>>
>>81549331
The fact that there is a small but thriving fan community of people shipping and producing content for Jack Frost and Hiccup from HTTYD never ceases to amaze me.

Good movie though.
>>
>>81549331
extremely underrated movie, i remember it was released around the same time as legend of the guardians which was also a wonderful movie that got completely overlooked. I think movie audiences were a little burned out on 3d CGI stuff at the time.
>>
>>81549381
Yeah but for the vast majority of the movie they called him Pitch Black(tm), which sounds less like an incarnation of nightmares and more like a hairmetal band.
>>
>>81549331
The best DreamWorks movie of the 2010s so far IMO.
>>
>>81549331
It was fucking terrible
>>
>>81549417
But it now has a huge cult following thanks to the release of Frozen which led to the Jack Frost Elsa shipping.
>>
>>81549439
>look mom, I'm a contrarian
>>
>>81549331
I thought the ending with the kids helping to defeat Pitch was kind of cheesy. But it's a kids movie so it's fine. Other than that it was a lot of fun. Neat and original interpretations of the Guardians. Cool villain. Legitimately touching flashback moment.

>>81549459
Ehh. They might just not like it. They don't have to. It's not like they were attacking anyone else here.
>>
File: Up9209C.gif (4 MB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
Up9209C.gif
4 MB, 624x352
>>81549378
>>
>>81549520
Do you reckon she'd suck a dick in exchange for a few teeth?
>>
>>81549459
I thought everything about Jack was very cringeworthy

Cool Sandman interpretation though I guess
>>
>>81549331
Wasted potential.
>>
File: s4hxi1W.gif (4 MB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
s4hxi1W.gif
4 MB, 624x352
>>81549536
>>
File: cover.jpg (19 KB, 230x326) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
19 KB, 230x326
>>81549431
>Pitch Black
>Not spoken by Vin Diesel.
Dammit Dreamworks, you had one job.
>>
>>81549536
I reckon she'd use her teeth when sucking a dick
>>
>Guardians are based on what they were in life
>Santa was a guy who liked to give so he became Santa
>Jack liked to have fun so he became a fun giver
What about the others? Was Tooth a creepy lady obsesed with collecting peoples teeth?
>>
>>81549738
She could have died from a tooth/teeth. Like with Jack's powers.
>>
>>81549708
Your intonation suggests this is a negative.
>>
File: 1424647872755.jpg (16 KB, 234x216) Image search: [Google]
1424647872755.jpg
16 KB, 234x216
>>81549769
>dying of a tooth related illness
That's one hell of a way to go.
>>
File: 1430782050083.jpg (295 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1430782050083.jpg
295 KB, 1920x1080
I like the lewds of the buff bunny.
>>
>>81549331
It was really good, but the marketing for it was bad.
>>
>>81549331
I'm posses that there will never be a sequel. They could have battled guardians from other countries holidays.

And where the fuck was Halloweens guardian?
>>
File: 1438689530666.png (96 KB, 266x408) Image search: [Google]
1438689530666.png
96 KB, 266x408
>>81549459
It's a kiddy kids movie, /co/ is one of the few places you might find the opinion of the opposite.

I watched it and I thought it was okay it just wasn't really a movie for me, there was way too much stuff in there clearly for the younger audience even though there was stuff I really like, jack frosts voice, the villain in general, the mostly gorgeous animation.

But yeah I dunno, 5-6/10 for me.
>>
>>81549738
Yeah, that has nothing to do with their actual origins as told in the original books. Santa was a Russian bandit king with a heart of gold that chose rescuing children from Pitch and his nightmares over seeking legendary treasure when traveling through a forest with a hidden magical village.

Toothiana was born half fae. Human father and fairy mother (specifically based on the Kinnari of certain Hindi mythologies, like a harpy version of the muses). Her father was a slave to a wealthy maharajah hunting for mythical quarry: Flying Elephants said to be protected by the fae. When Tooth's mother arrived to intercept them, the maharajah figured she'd be another good prize and took a shot, but the slave took the arrow and saved her. For his intrusion, the maharajah lost everything he brought into the fae realm with him, his slave, his weapons and his humanity, turning him into a monkey.

When her fairy heritage started to show in puberty (specifically, when she lost her last baby tooth), the village she and her family were living in turned against them. Her parents told her to hide in the jungle, but they were captured when the angry villagers hired a hunter (who ends up turning out to be the maharajah, now styling himself as the Monkey King) hoping to either kill Tooth or sell her to the circus. In the process of trying to rescue them though, they end up getting Wayne'd, which also has the effect of taking out her mother's fae sisters because this particular set of immortals operated on domino rules if you manage to kill one.

Teeth collecting and the power of memories within the teeth are part of her mother's traditions. Doing it on a global scale and keeping kid's teeth safe and thus preserving happy memories is something she does to honor the memory of her magical kin, operating out of their old kingdom.

Full story from the book's on Wikia
http://riseoftheguardians.wikia.com/wiki/Toothiana#The_Guardians_of_Childhood
>>
>>81549898
Bunny Jackman isn't for sexual
>>
File: PRIGMORE_01d.jpg (202 KB, 1600x990) Image search: [Google]
PRIGMORE_01d.jpg
202 KB, 1600x990
Reminder that Dreamworks threw out a Majora's Mask-y climax where Pitch, using his rebuilt Nightmare Galleon, harpoons the moon into place to create a perma-eclipse and build up enough power to take out the Man in the Moon once and for all.

Also, that Pitch's book backstory is more Lordgenome/Davy Jones then the "Butthurt goth kid" we got in the movie
>>
>>81550109
Would you recommend the books?
>>
>>81550189
Yeah. Some really well done youth lit. The novel series follows the original formation of the team in centuries past using a teenage girl that grows up to be Mother Goose as a viewpoint character.

Pitch is way more compelling a villain, there's a bit more space fantasy mixed in as far as certain cast origins goes. Bunnymund's character is more Australian Doctor Who then the outback warrior in the film.
>>
>>81549331
>verdict
Cannot form your own opinion?
>>
>>81550283
>forming own opinion
>4chan

pick one
>>
>>81549331
I liked it. It got rushed at some parts but it was a nice movie.
>>
>>81550283
maybe he hasn't watch it yet?
>>
>>81550260
Sounds good. Tell me more about the mother goose thing.
>>
>>81549881
Fun fact, a large number of heart attacks are caused by tooth decay. The bacteria gets into your bloodstream and fucks you up.
>>
ROTG is the most forgettable beautiful piece of animation desu. I remember I was so hyped when I saw the first trailer, the concept was interesting and unique. But I was disappointed by the final product, the story and the character wasn't that engaging and executed well, really rushed and confusing in some parts. And too much focus on Jack Frost.
>>
Fantastic art direction cannot spare such fucked up writing.
>>
>>81549898
I have to wonder how a rabbit became a Guardian. I also loved how the movie was an Easter movie hidden as a Christmas movie.
>>
>>81550057
Maybe Pitch was? I've always thought Pitch was the came about because back in early human civilization being afraid was the best way to stay safe.
>>
File: stalked_by_kotorikurama-d5pmnor.jpg (421 KB, 900x973) Image search: [Google]
stalked_by_kotorikurama-d5pmnor.jpg
421 KB, 900x973
>>81549331
It was pretty good. Not amazing but well worth a watch. Beautiful animation, North and his yetis were awesome, overexcited Tooth was cute and Pitch was a sympathetic villain. Sure he hates the guardians and wanted to take away children`s hopes and dreams, but in the end he did it cause he was tired of being alone. He seemed genuinely hurt when Jack rejected him and he blamed the Guardians for his fate.
The ending was a bit cheesy, but as others have said it`s a children`s movie. What bothered me most about the ending was that they first look at Pitch with sympathy, like they finally understood his motivations, only to punch his teeth out.
Overall a decent watch, but donĀ“t go in expecting to much.
>>
>>81550768
Her name's Katherine (named after the author's now deceased daughter). One of the older kids in the village, bit of a storyteller and artist, becomes North's closest friend and has a thing going on with Nightlight, the Man in the Moon's amnesiac Peter Pan-esque bodyguard from childhood The most recent of the picture book side of the series had him becoming Jack Frost eventually. Also adopts an oversized Himalayan Goose chick that eventually becomes her mount.

>>81551005
Book's had him coming from an ancient race of warrior monk rabbits called Pookas that watched over the galaxy, though he's the last of them. Sculpted the continents, with Australia being his favorite, and taught man about chocolate.
>>
>>81549331

I hated it. I actually fell asleep in the theatre during the fight between Jack and the badguy.
>>
It surprises me that this movie has very loyal and crazy fandom
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.