[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pick a failed or otherwise ridiculous superhero and completely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 17
File: broblemin.jpg (98 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
broblemin.jpg
98 KB, 960x720
Pick a failed or otherwise ridiculous superhero and completely remake them to where they are now legitimate and taken seriously.

Sidney Armstrong was a man who was starting to lose faith due to extremists advocating their hateful speech and twisting the message of his religion but after dying in a car crash he meets God who chooses him to become a general in his army dubbed a Bibleman due to his kind acts and always being an upstanding and accepting person in life. He is given divine control over holy light and now fights the forces of hell and even cosmic threats.

In this universe, multiple religions actually co-exist and Bibleman is given new abilities from the likes of Allah, Buddha and the many gods of Shinto, Greek and Egyptian legends.
>>
>>81547239

You had me until the last line. He doesn't have to be a gay hating abortion supporting super ass just because he's Bibleman but....I'm pretty sure somewhere in there he's not ringing up for other gods. I want to see that fucking lightshow when he punches demons and shit though.
>>
A Christian superhero could work, just make him a Batman like hero who takes his inspiration from his religion.
>>
I can't believe you managed to make a worse Bibleman than the actual Bibleman
>>
>>81547239
> wizard who uses bible to cast bible related spells.
>>
>>81547622
Bear summons, salt transformations, water walking, locust plagues, time manipulation, ressurection.

Not a bad spell book.
>>
>>81547665
>walls are full of snakes now, because all those pipes? Totes sticks.
>>
>>81547239
my boss designed that character.
>>
The planet Krypton faces imminent destruction as a result of an unstable core. The situation was caused by depleting natural resources which were mishandled by its inhabitants. Krypton's military commander, General Zod, and his followers initiate a coup d'état and depose the ruling council.

Scientist Jor-El and his wife Lara briefly celebrate the birth of their son, Kal-El – the first naturally born Kryptonian child in centuries. Aware of the planet's impending chaos, Jor-El infuses Kal-El's cells with a genetic codex of the entire Kryptonian race and puts Kal-El on a spacecraft to planet Earth. Zod fights and kills Jor-El but fails to retrieve the codex. The rebellion is stopped, and the council convicts Zod and his followers of treason, exiling them to captivity in the Phantom Zone. They are indirectly freed when Krypton explodes.

Kal-El's ship lands in the Kansas town of Smallville. He is adopted by Jonathan and Martha Kent, who name him Clark. Clark's Kryptonian physiology and the Earth's yellow sun give him superhuman abilities. After revealing to a teenage Clark that he is an extraterrestrial, Jonathan warns about social rejection and advises him not to use his powers in public. Several years later, after they have an argument, Jonathan dies in a tornado. In his final moments, Jonathan signaled restraint to Clark who wanted to save him but risked being exposed in public. Struggling with the loss of his adoptive father, an adult Clark spends several years living a nomadic lifestyle, working different jobs and anonymously performing good deeds.
>>
>>81548049

Clark infiltrates a U.S. military investigation of a Kryptonian scout spaceship in the Canadian Arctic. He enters the alien ship carrying aboard a Kryptonian "control-key" from the spacecraft that brought him to Earth. It allows him a glimpse of the preserved consciousness of Jor-El, which exists in the form of a physical hologram. Jor-El reveals Clark's origins and the extinction of his race. He also tells Clark of the reason he was sent to Earth: to help guide mankind and give them hope. Lois Lane, a journalist from the Daily Planet newspaper, sneaks inside the ship, following Clark, but disturbing the ship's security system. Clark saves Lois, and the ship leaves. She writes a story about her "superhuman" rescuer, but her editor, Perry White, rejects the unbelievable premise. Lois decides to trace Clark back to Kansas with the intention of writing an exposé. After hearing his story, however, she decides not to reveal his secret.

Zod and his crew seek out other worlds colonized by the Kryptonian race. They discover that none of the outposts survived and scavenge useful equipment. They eventually detect a signal coming from the scout ship Clark discovered on Earth. Believing Kal-El has the codex, Zod arrives and threatens to destroy Earth unless Kal-El surrenders. Clark accepts, and the military hands him over to Zod's second-in-command, Faora, who also takes Lois captive. Zod reveals his intention to use a terraforming "world engine" to transform Earth into a new Krypton, eradicating the human race in the process and using the codex to repopulate Earth with genetically-engineered Kryptonians. Clark and Lois escape Zod's ship with Jor-El's help. Clark repels Faora and another Kryptonian, convincing the U.S. military that he is an ally.
>>
File: Spectre_New_52.jpg (988 KB, 1568x1572) Image search: [Google]
Spectre_New_52.jpg
988 KB, 1568x1572
The actor who plays "Bibleman", the superhero from a lame Christian's children show that nobody watches, is murdered.

He becomes the new Spectre.
>>
>>81548069

Zod deploys and initiates the world engine over Metropolis and the southern Indian Ocean. Given the title "Superman" by U.S. military forces, Clark destroys the world engine. The military then crashes Kal-El's spacecraft into Zod's ship, sending it back into the Phantom Zone along with Zod's crew. Avoiding their fate, Zod survives and vows to annihilate the human race in revenge. He fights Superman in a destructive battle across Metropolis. After being overpowered and partially restrained by Superman in a subway terminal, Zod uses his heat vision in an attempt to harm bystanders. Superman, reluctant to kill the last remaining Kryptonian, is forced to snap Zod's neck, killing him.

As a result of his assistance, the U.S. government reluctantly supports Superman in the aftermath. To conceal his identity, Superman obtains work as a stringer for the Daily Planet under his adopted name Clark.
>>
>>81547239
Bibleman V Devilman.
>>
>>81548078
I would really enjoying reading that.
>>
>>81547239
So this is basically Vanilla Azrael.
>>
>>81548049
>failed or otherwise ridiculous superhero
>picks Superman.

So hey man, tell us about Batman and how you don't like Ben Affleck, since we know you're itching to do it.
>>
>>81548423
Well let me explain the joke to you anon: I literally copy/pasted the synopsis of Man of Steel.
>>
File: PlanetTerry.jpg (347 KB, 900x1408) Image search: [Google]
PlanetTerry.jpg
347 KB, 900x1408
Like with Planet Terry here?
>>
File: Batman_Holy_Terror_cover.jpg (60 KB, 300x459) Image search: [Google]
Batman_Holy_Terror_cover.jpg
60 KB, 300x459
>>81547468
That's actually been done with Batman, funny enough
>>
Technically /v/, but I couldn't think of a lamer hero than Captain Novolin. So let's get started

When a spacefaring captain's vessel is nearly destroyed, he's rescued by benevolent alien medics who are able to save him with an experimental alien blood transplant. The captain gains incredible powers from this alien blood, at the cost of deteriorating his health of left unchecked. In order to keep his body stable, he must use an alien compound that turns out to be indentical to the common insulin shot.

Using his irregular blood and his insulin needles, he now fights crime as Captain Novolin!
>>
File: cvcv.jpg (239 KB, 740x1046) Image search: [Google]
cvcv.jpg
239 KB, 740x1046
>>81547239
Did someone say BIBLEMAN?
>>
>>81547989
What does your boss do now?
>>
>>81547468
So Daredevil
>>
File: 1448341400953.png (188 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
1448341400953.png
188 KB, 330x319
>>81549453
>featuring original music from The Rock N' Roll Worship Circus
>that boxart
>>
>>81549245
That actually sounds like a neat idea, you've even found a way to work in his ridiculous trait so that it makes sense for him to be a superhero.
>>
File: slayer-christ_06.jpg (368 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
slayer-christ_06.jpg
368 KB, 600x600
>>81549465
He designs album covers for Slayer
>>
>>81549453
> I will fight the AVGN with my lightsaber!

Also, even in terrible shovelware, US game boxart still has to use giant CGI heads
>>
Why are Christian-Equivalents of any media so terrible?
>>
>Former member of a drug-running gang is sent to prison where he repents for his past misdeeds and vows to make the world a better place
>Converts to Catholicism
>Enters seminary after some difficulty due to his criminal background, becomes a priest
>Wears long sleeves at all times to cover up his numerous gang tattoos
>Dons a mask and begins fighting crime on the streets WITH THE POWER OF CHRIST AND LUCHA LIBRE
>His religious leanings and past criminal experiences give him a strict no-kill policy and a powerful belief in redemption. He sees every criminal as just another him, another lost soul in need of a savior and a chance at a better, cleaner life
>But still believes in justice and is not afraid to dole out a suplex

Boom. There ya go. Religious superhero.
>>
>>81547239
>>81549453
Does Bibleman literally go through a shounen anime midseason powerup where he goes from his old purple/yellow armor like his sidekicks to having a superior 'silver' form?
>>
>>81548078
I'd read it, especially if the guy was a Mr. Rodgers type.
>>
>>81549164
>Do not in any case mistake this book with "Holy Terror"
>>
>>81547239
>Look up list of worst superheroes of all time to try to jog my memory to contribute to this thread
>Some retards open their list with MOTHEFUCKING SQUIRREL GIRL
>Blow a vein from rage
>>
File: fdsfsd.gif (975 KB, 385x187) Image search: [Google]
fdsfsd.gif
975 KB, 385x187
Who is the better Champion of God, Bibleman or New Bibleman?

And who is the best Sidekick? Coats, Cypher, Biblegirl or Melody?
>>
>>81547493
That's liberals for ya.
>>
>>81550290

That's not fair. Lucha libre makes everything cool, that's not fucking fair.

Catholic priest being a no-kill vigilante is a good setup though.
>>
>>81547239
Wonder Twins.

Sometimes, twins are born that are conjoined by body. It's not such a fantastical occurence.
It is unusual though when twins are born that are conjoined by soul.

Birth of Zan and Jayna has prophesied for centuries on planet Exxor -
>>
>>81547239
He shouldn't get powers from other belief systems, but they should exist as their own characters. Have him run into an Avengers-like team of Greek gods and team up against their Bizarro Roman versions.
>>
>>81550087
Because it's more about Protestant religious indoctrination than tapping into the legitimately cool lore the Bible has.
>>
Just give me that John Woo Latino priest guy from King of the Hill.
I'd watch/read the shit out of that
>>
>>81551812
So how do people react to Zeus raping their entire family while saving them from a fire in the shape of a bullswan?
>>
>>81547239
/m/ did a tokusatsu version of Bibleman.

Leviathans would be the giant monsters he would face
>>
>>81552672
They burn a goat and some wine on an altar, duh
>>
>>81549477
this.
>>
File: images (37).jpg (11 KB, 269x546) Image search: [Google]
images (37).jpg
11 KB, 269x546
>>81547239
Would take more than a shadow of a long passed miracle to make that movie happen

I do love how hardcore catholic characters always seem to be. Always welcome more catholics mercilessly executing or maiming faceless criminals.
>>
>>81547239
>In this universe, multiple religions actually co-exist and Bibleman is given new abilities from the likes of Allah, Buddha and the many gods of Shinto, Greek and Egyptian legends.

Then why in the hell would he be called Bible man? This is Random Religions man, or Coexist Man (which is a great bumper sticker for letting everyone know how little you understand religion) . Also, one of the big points of the Bible is that there are no other gods.
>>
>>81551971
They actually thought about a spinoff for him at one point.
>>
>>81553101
The early bible acknowledges other gods, but DON'T YOU FUCKING WORSHIP ANY OF THEM BEFORE ME!
>>
File: logo.jpg (186 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
logo.jpg
186 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>81547468
Isn't that Azrael?
>>
>>81547468

So Frank Miller's The Fixer?
>>
El Dragon is already perfect, just let him come back
>>
You get heroes like Herc and Thor and their entire supporting casts, why not Jesus too?

Not counting Wonderella of course.
>>
File: 33450-5148-37352-1-prime.jpg (53 KB, 436x640) Image search: [Google]
33450-5148-37352-1-prime.jpg
53 KB, 436x640
>>81547239
Prime had a lot of potential to be modern Captain Marvel. His ridiculous appearance was actually sort of the point, he's the product of a kid's imagining of what a Superhero is and he's flawed enough so he's not quite as rough around the edges as recent Billy but you can still do stuff with his childhood and puberty issues what with the absent dad, feelings of inferiority etc. I think my favorite part though was Prime was in essence a constantly evolving character, his power set technically stayed the same but based on what Kevin believed he should be how it presents itself would adjust accordingly. There's a lot of room there for some interesting visual storytelling. Everything from his color palette to the amount of hair he had on him was telling you who Kevin idolized or wanted to be at the time in an overt yet subtle fashion.

Shame Malibu had to sink. Regardless of its execution at the time it had some interesting material and settings.
>>
>>81547989
Sure he did
And my father is John Gamefreak!
>>
>>81555748
Prime looks ridiculous, and not "man dressed in brightly colored tights" ridiculous, more like "Why is a massive tumor in the shape of a man flying at me!?"
>>
>>81549838
Larry Carroll's your boss?

If so, your boss rules.
>>
>>81556532
Well, that was kind of the idea. The other Ultras in the setting are reasonably proportioned regardless of their powerset so it's not just the artists either it was clearly an intentional theme for the character's appearance to stand out.

It's like how instead of just getting Jeff Bridges to play Flynn and Clu 1:1 they did CG work that was slightly unpolished compared to the other effects. You immediately could see there was something off about Clu compared to Flynn, and it's very unlikely a double, make up and light editing couldn't have been used to make Jeff look younger for a few short scenes. They went with something that was very noticeable for a reason and I think that sort of thing when you're visually indicating the difference between something real and something replicating another thing works well but often goes unappreciated.

For me it's like the animals in nature whose camouflage is that of a leaf, stick or other predator. At a quick glance it appears normal, but take a second to look at it and you start to notice the image unravel. While I'm rambling I'll just mention I also loved how Prime's cape was part of his being. If it disconnected it turned into sludge. Little oddities like that make a character interesting to me, especially when others interact with them and notice as I said that something doesn't add up.
>>
File: 20160216060411!Catwoman_poster.jpg (30 KB, 300x445) Image search: [Google]
20160216060411!Catwoman_poster.jpg
30 KB, 300x445
>>81547239
I always wanted to fix Halle Berry's Catwoman because I liked some of the concepts.

Patience Phillips works as an out of her league news reporter. While posing as a graphic designer for a corrupt company in order to reveal some scandal, only to realize it's much more grandiose and sinister than she could've imagined. Before she can get the news to the public, she is discovered and a hit is put on her head. She is dragged into the alley and shot, with pictures of her body taken for posterity. However when the "cleaners" come to dispose of her corpse, she's disappeared.
Patience has now been reanimated, and has changed her appearance and demeanor to match. Juxtaposed with her timid wallflower nature she's now confidant and dominant. Her goal now is to get revenge on the company that killed her as well as find out the story behind her reincarnation.

Abilities
>Increased Awareness of her surroundings.
>Improved hearing
>Improved agility
>Improved Balance
>Improved flexibility, to the point that she can fit through spaces normal humans would not be able to.
>slight detective skills. (tracking down her murderers and their employers)
>Vicious animalistic tendencies, sometimes bordering on murderous.

I'd probably have her travel around from state to state tracking them down and shutting down offices. She'd probably but heads with Selina Kyle due to sharing her name. Eventually she would change her name to differentiate herself from Kyle.
Giving her more of a narrow focus on getting revenge on the ones that killed her would be the driving force of her series.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>81547622
This. Raining sulfur and brimstone on your enemies would be op as fuck.
>>
>>81550087
Because you're drawing from a small pool of radical evangelicals. Also, having someone be obsessed with game design and spending their life devoted to making the best games, and having someone be obsessed with religion and spending their life devoted to spreading the word is almost mutually exclusive. It's really hard to squeeze both into a single man's life as they both require heavy dedication in completely different directions. Also, it takes no effort to get christian evangelicals to buy your shit as long as you tick off the right checkboxes, so why put any effort in?

That said every now and then you get someone who gives us something like the SOULDOZER
>>
>>81553629
>The early bible acknowledges other gods, but DON'T YOU FUCKING WORSHIP ANY OF THEM BEFORE ME!
It doesn't acknowledge them as literal, existing beings but idols of worship. In the Old Testament, there are no other actually powerful beings except Satan and the demons who may occasionally cause people to do supernatural shenanigans. And they certainly aren't all-powerful or function as gods, Satan can only exist in one place at one time and isn't omnipotent or all-knowing, just really great at fucking with people.
>>
>>81550803
I swear to god there was a story arc where he was kidnapped and infected with "something" and then his sidekick had to recruit the girl into his team and then Bibleman suddenly escapes and gets silver armor- I don't fucking remember it all.
>>
So what powers does Bibleman have anyway?
>>
>>81560450
> It's really hard to squeeze both into a single man's life as they both require heavy dedication in completely different directions
You say that like many of the greatest artists who ever lived weren't extremely devout Christians. Take the Renaissance for example, virtually all the greats at that time were very religious and religion was the central dominating creative force for centuries. And painting is not an easy or quick thing, any one of those masters' works could take months if not years to complete, let alone the Sistine Chapel or any larger commissioned piece. One can definitely place equal time and importance on faith and their craft while producing spectacular works. It's no different for a video game or music.

Let's take Christian music into account - an easy example would be the Newsboys. Today they're really weak in my opinion, very safe, derivative, bland pop. In the 90s they weren't that bad. Not great mind you but still a far cry from the shit they put out today. There's a large difference in the Christian music landscape because the majority of Christian bands do not place a heavy focus on musicianship over worship, and write music that's easily digestible for white suburban soccer moms and churches to play in worship. So nothing is very technical or interesting, their target is entirely different and that's to capitalize on a very specific market that will ONLY consume extremely safe and digestible music. Thus the Newsboys' shift in musical style.

And that attitude is what fuels most specifically Christian artists, in almost every creative field. You've got a lot of Christians making great stuff that's not specifically targeted at Christians (See: Sufjan Stevens, or 80s-90s U2).

The problem isn't you CAN'T squeeze both into your life, it's that most don't want to because there's very little incentive to. You either go easy for Christian audiences or break into the secular market and risk losing the safe audience in any field.
>>
File: 1439249337809.jpg (809 KB, 967x1200) Image search: [Google]
1439249337809.jpg
809 KB, 967x1200
>>81555748
>>
>>81561781
I never said that religion and art are exclusive, I said that heavy religious involvement and art are nearly exclusive. Being a devote and good christian who follows all the ideals and lives a christian life is different from being an extreme christian who devotes all of his time and thoughts to the furtherment of christianity as a whole.

You said it yourself,
>You've got a lot of Christians making great stuff that's not specifically targeted at Christians (See: Sufjan Stevens, or 80s-90s U2).

If they're willing to make the concession to make art for a secular audience because it's got wider appeal, then they're probably not the sort of extreme religious evangelical I was talking about, as that sort of goes against that life style. It's difficult to be both.
>>
>>81549092
That's Cammi, Pip the Troll, and who?
>>
>>81547239
where can i watch bible man?
>>
>>81547239
>In this universe, multiple religions actually co-exist and Bibleman is given new abilities from the likes of Allah, Buddha and the many gods of Shinto, Greek and Egyptian legends.

You lost me there. The other religions can exist, by all means. But don't have them give him more powers and abilities. Have them be the deities behind other heroes, and give him his own religious Justice League/Avengers team. Call them the Crusaders.
>>
>>81562425
Or the Holy Warriors

Or the Divine Guardians
>>
>>81550087
It's mainly evangelist protestants m8 - Daredevil is pretty big on the whole Catholicism thing (so's Spawn desu) and it works really well.
>>
>>81561976
>extreme religious
I hate this phrasing. It implies that how much religion someone has is a direct influence on how much of an issue it is. I try to be "extremely religious," but my particular branch isn't as harsh in tone as some others. The whole thing should be about what beliefs you have and not "how much" of them you have.
>>
>>81561976
Ah my bad, there does seem to be a rather binary generalization of Christians as either being totally moderate and cool with anything, and extremist fundamentalist bigots with no middle room, your post seemed a bit along those lines. I wouldn't say devoting ones life to spreading the word is obsessive or radical, at least not inherently. The Bible does call its followers to spread the Gospel, and a lot of Christians do take that to an extreme for sure, though the majority would fall well between "it's cool whatever" and "God hates fags, JESUS or burn forever like heathens."

I'd say it's probably hard for a pastor or someone directly involved in church administration as a job to be heavily involved as an artist, though I'd certainly not call that obsessive or extreme. Virtually all Christian denominations believe God gave every person spiritual gifts and we're called to use them, whether it's service within the church, or scientific minds, or creative talent. To many Christians, being an artist can also be a form of furthering Christianity, and even with heavy religious involvement that wouldn't be mutually exclusive. Unfortunately many proceed to make stuff specifically for safe markets, but going secular isn't widely seen as "making concessions."

I feel like this is going in circles because of hazy definitions though. I'd refute the assertion being heavily religious is any more obsessive or extreme than being a big fan of comics; knowing all the obscure trivia about 80 years of a character doesn't make one inherently obsessive. I think the line between "extreme" and "not-extreme" is a bit unfair and dismissive, not maliciously, but not entirely equitable either in this instance. Having a strong devotion to ones religion is not mutually exclusive to art, and in most cases is not extremist. Extreme would be Westborro, not your everyday Bible Belt Christian.

I hope my point was clear enough, I don't intend to be accusatory here.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.