[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does the director's cut save this film? People tell me that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 2
File: Watchmen.jpg (95 KB, 485x720) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen.jpg
95 KB, 485x720
Does the director's cut save this film? People tell me that it makes it exponentially better, but I have a hard time believing it can fix Snyder missing the whole point of the book.
>>
>>81542025
Watch it or don't, you stupid fuck.
>>
>>81542025
directors cut has an extra story, an anymated story totally not related to the movie itself, if you liked HBO spawn snymated series then you going to like this too
>>
>>81542025
In my opinion it makes it overly long and worsens the pace, and if its not your first time watching it, also boring.

If youve already watched the regular cut, i wouldnt bother.

If you havent seen it at all, watch the dc
>>
>>81542640
>an anymated story totally not related to the movie itself

retard
>>
>>81542025
Yes. It fixes some pacing issues and has some better character moments. You get to know the 2 Bernie's a little bit and it's honestly worth watching just for Hollis Mason's death.
>>
>>81542640
That's the ultimate cut not the director's cut. Out of those two I'd say stick with the director's because while the addition of Black Freighter sounds appealing the way they handled it was really half assed and just totally killed the pacing.
>>
>>81542025
I don't know if it "saved" the film but it's definitely better. Hopefully the DC of BvS will be similar.
>>
Of fucking course not. Snyder is dog shit and is incapable of producing anything of value, let alone a version of something on the level of Watchmen.
>>
>>81542025

It worked for me. It's worth watching the directors cut.
>>
I thought the movie was okay, but Snyder really shit the bed at the end.
>>
>>81547100
This for me. I mean it was pretty good and faithful for the most part, even with 80% of the costume designs.

The ending will forever be controversial for discussions.
>>
>>81547114
>The ending will forever be controversial for discussions.
It was a better ending than the comic. or do you still prefer Starro´s retarded cousin to be the final "enemy"
>>
>>81542025
even Moore missed the whole point of the book
>>
>>81542025
It sold me on the Rorschach & Night Owl friendship when it was kind of rote in the GN.

Comedian was great, Dr. Manhattan's fluctuating flakiness was both endearing and disquieting, and Hollis' death was better.

Dat intro.

The Under the Hood documentary was a nice special.

Some well chosen music tracks.

The alteration to Rorschach's origin felt cheap, like they wanted to save on money.

Bringing the book to the big screen ultimately revealed how weak the narrative of the story actually was though.
>>
>>81542640
>anymated story totally not related to the movie itself
>>
>>81547358
Yes? What kind of question is that?
>>
>>81547431
>Bringing the book to the big screen ultimately revealed how weak the narrative of the story actually was though.
this. all the things people praise as being masterstrokes in Watchmen weren't part of the narrative, they were supplemental material and notes in margins
>>
>>81547833
As Grant Morrison once said (wrote):

"Ultimately, in order for Watchmen's plot to ring true, we were required to entertain the belief that the world's smartest man would do the world's stupidest thing after thinking about it all his life. It's there where Watchmen's rigorous logic runs out, where its irony is drawn so tight that the bowstring gives. Its road ends. As the apotheosis of the relevant, realistic superhero stories, it had to come face-to-face with the bursting walls of its own fictional bubble, its fundamental lack of likelihood. No real world could be as beautiful designed and organized as Watchemn's 4D jigsaw puzzle."
>>
>>81542025
>the whole point of the book

What is the whole point of the book? To fill a story with a lot of excessive crap?

Once in a while I revisit Watchmen, both the book and the movie (director's cut). The movie gets more enjoyable after each watch while the book gets blander and blander. It's possible I'm just entertained by the presentation of the movie, call me a pleb and whatnot, but I haven't found an ultra-deep "point" behind the whole thing.

I believe Alan Moore is an "onion writer" - he somehow manages to buid countless of layers upon layers on stories that may or may not be linked to a mystical core idea that only he himself understands.
>>
>>81547358
A lot felt like Mannhattan was representing America for most of his parts, and if he caused the catastrophes, the world would've definitely blamed America for making the monster, or causing the monster to be a cancer-bringing being.
>>
>>81547919

Manchildren (And Snyder) read Watchmen and took its point as "If Superheroes were real they'd be psychos and badasses" and unanimously thought "wow superheroes for adults now!" when the point Alan Moore was trying to make was that Superheroes are childrens characters and should stay there. Put them in realistic settings with adult writing and they fall apart.
Futhermore Watchmen was a deconstruction of comic books themselves, everything about it was designed for that medium, you can't just copy and paste it into film. It just results in a superficial tracing.
>>
>>81547358

The point was Humanity is forced to band together to face an external threat. Dr Manhattan is an American creation. Hell he was the face of Americas superiority for decades.
>>
>>81542025
It doesn't fix the movie itself, but it adds some great scenes that are worth watching IMO.
>>
>>81542025
>Snyder missing the whole point of the book.

Nobody knows what the point of the book is
>>
>>81548024
The fact that he also struck American cities and had recently had a very public breakdown probably helped the USSR realise that he was no longer with America
>>
>>81547919
>What is the whole point of the book?
to illustrate how much Moore hates superheroes, how the civilians were much more interesting people (to him) but none of it mattered because one of the superheroes just nuked the city they lived in as part of a hare-brained scheme in which they were merely collateral. an allegory for Moore's belief that enjoying superheroes prevent adults from continuing to grow and mature
It's a very emo book.
>>
>>81548012
But everyone knows that already. No one takes superheroes seriously and they are considered as unrealistic embodiments of pure ideals at best, just like demigods in ancient mythology. If they were taken seriously, we'd have superheroes all over the place.

And of course the supehero concept, even without "adult" writing, falls apart if the plot and characters are shit. You can dress up a cow and call it a Bond girl but it still is a cow in the end no matter how much makeup you put on it.

>Futhermore Watchmen was a deconstruction of comic books themselves, everything about it was designed for that medium, you can't just copy and paste it into film. It just results in a superficial tracing.
This is a general problem whenever something is carried over to another medium. Every creator designes his thing for the medium he chose.
>>
>>81548179
The point was turning superheroes into everyday men. But LOL NO let's punch walls because it looks cool!
>>
>>81548344
>The point was turning superheroes into everyday men
none of them were everyday men.
>>
>>81548344
Even in the comic they were plot armoured and 'peak human' in combat skills.

You strip that away and you get Kickass, which is yet another angle to the 'superheros being sociopaths in haloween costumes' genre.
>>
>>81542025
Doesn't need fixing, ya cunt
>>
>>81548192
>hey the American superweapon went crazy and killed millions of people but hey it's okay he killed Americans too

Buddy if there's one thing humanity would unite against it would be America, not Dr. Manhattan.
>>
>>81548780
He killed without discriminating and its not an unreasonable assumption that the USSR and USA would be united in fighting this greater threat to their continued positions of power.
>>
>>81548780
They'd blame america, but they wouldn't unite against them.

Ultimately it's a nonhuman who is threatening all of humanity equally.
>>
>>81548832
it's a very unreasonable assumption
>>
>>81548845
Why is it unreasonable?
>>
>>81542025
The characterization is definitely better in the book, but I'd say the movie has a better story overall, despite missing a few key details.
>>
>>81548866
because the Russians would continue to mistrust the Americans, would make unreasonable demands if America asked for help, and wouldn't become desperate unless/until it was shown that there was an actual threat posed to them and not just Americans. In the meantime they'd rather develop their own countermeasures, try to steal any tech America comes up with, and try to make sure America doesn't steal any tech they come up with.

because Humans have a long history of presuming that they are better than their enemies in every way, and that threats to their enemies can be easily dealt with should said threat ever turn its attention to them.

because humans are irrational creatures who err towards believing the world is how they want it to be and then coming up with 'rational' justifications for that belief after the fact
>>
File: Stop.png (67 KB, 311x313) Image search: [Google]
Stop.png
67 KB, 311x313
>>81548960
>Humans are irrational creatures

Oh, you're just retarded.
Never mind then.
>>
>>81548960
This is only one of the issues with the ending though
The squid makes so much more sense in all the other things going on in Watchmen.
Plot-wise the biggest fuck ups were that Russia would actually believe Dr Manhattan is against US and how the fuck does Comedian even go insane in the first place and start the story of Watchmen if they don't have island with tentacle monster and artists working on disturbing shit. And why does Bubastis even exist if he didn't make the squid.
>>
>>81549028
anon we are a race of gamblers through and through and have centuries of research examining how ridiculous our decision-making process can be, and even more centuries of history at how frauds, conmen and politicians have taken advantage of that to manipulate people.
>>
>>81549100
This was pretty good read on the subject
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Spirits:_How_Human_Psychology_Drives_the_Economy,_and_Why_It_Matters_for_Global_Capitalism
>>
>>81549100
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bounded_rationality
>>
>>81549098
it really would have made more sense to drop one monster in NY, one in Moscow, and one somewhere in west Europe
>>
>>81549190
You could argue that from story point of view though can't remember right now if Ozy had some limiations or reasoning behind just having on in murica but thematically it makes more sense there was only one and it was in NY
>>
Watchmen movie is good if you separate it from the movie. Just like V for Vendetta, the source material cannot be all faithfully be achieved in a 2 or 3 hour movie.
>>
>>81549311
only things I felt the V movie lacked were the scene of the guy dropping acid at the burned down research compound, and the PM's sexual infatuation with the master computer. Mostly the former
>>
I think the fundamental flaw to Watchmen's ending is the fact that since there is no real extraterrestrial threat, wouldn't the people start asking questions after some time has passed and having doubts about it? Especially since Rorschach's journal exists, there should be some doubts. So ultimately, there might be an era of peace, but was it truly worth the sacrifice?

Am I the only one who is bothered by this?
>>
>>81549820

>people still think some sand niggers did 9/11

I honestly don't think the general public gives a shit.
>>
>>81549820
>wouldn't the people start asking questions after some time has passed and having doubts about it
why wouldn't they do that if the threat was extra terrestrial?
>>
I love how aggressively polarized co is on everything. It's bloody comedic.

Movies are cheap mate, try it and tell us what you thought and why.
>>
>>81542025
>Does the director's cut save this film?
Movie wasn't even bad to begin with
>>
>>81549862
Yeah, but 9/11 is still relatively short time ago, I was thinking of several decades or a few generations in the future after the ending. Will people still believe hostile aliens exists simply because their mommies and daddies showed them a clip of a tentacle monster? And even if the regular people are brainwashed to believe, will the world leaders still think they should help each other instead of minding their own interest when there is no evidence of alien threat?
>>
>>81549939
I think the idea is that the stay of execution is better than the eventual execution.

What Ozy did was buy time for mankind to sort its problems out and begin the process which will create ties between the major powers.
>>
>>81550289
Good point. I guess I'm too much of a pessimist to never consider this.
>>
>>81547431
>Some well chosen music tracks.
With the exception of the sex scene.
>>
Read the book, hell of a lot better than anything Snyder could shit out
>>
>>81542703
I liked the movie a lot the first time I saw it, and became less enchanted every time I saw it, mostly because I found the characterizations grating as fuck, but I think that's kind of the point. These aren't really pleasant folks. Watched it again the other night for the first time in a while, Director's cut, and really enjoyed it.
>Hollis Mason's death.
I don't remember there being anything different about it? Was there? Or was it not even in the theatrical cut? I could have sworn it was.
>>
>>81542025
I thought the theatrical version was alright for what it was. The director's cut was a better movie (with perhaps the highlight being the death of Hollis Mason). I haven't gotten around to seeing the ultimate edition yet, though (essentially director's cut + "Tales of the Black Freighter" mixed in, from what I've heard of it).
>>
>>81550815
Hollis only appeared in the scene near the beginning where he's talking with Dan in the theatrical version.
>>
>>81542640
This is the animated watchmen I want

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w
>>
>>81548287
>Udders Galore
>>
>>81549820
>>81549876
Ozymandias' plan is absolutely temporary, both in the movie and the book. That was the point, and why he was given that name. He thinks that he's "solved" humanity's war problem, but eventually we would just go back to distrusting each other. Hell, that wasn't even the first time the US and USSR joined forces against an external threat; as soon as the threat is no longer immediate things will revert.
>>
>people shitting on the book
Wow, /co/, I thought you were better than this.
>>
>>81552835
You underestimate the contrarianism of /co/
>>
>>81542025
>from the visionary director of 300
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.