[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys believe CN truly went to shit in either 2004 (new
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: Cartoon_Network_1992_logo.svg.png (22 KB, 682x200) Image search: [Google]
Cartoon_Network_1992_logo.svg.png
22 KB, 682x200
Do you guys believe CN truly went to shit in either 2004 (new logo, less classics, meh newer shows) or 2007 (Boston scare, new president, live-action shows)?

They've gotten better since like 2010, but for a certain period of time, they were a pathetic laughingstock.
>>
Their darkest year was 2009.
>>
>>81541266
The moment they even considered CNreal. I'm hoping someone got burned for that.
>>
>>81541526
>The moment they even considered CNreal.

That's basically what I said here >>81541397
>>
>>81541580
Ah well I couldn't remember exactly what year that was, Was that the same year Toonami "died"?
>>
>>81541681
No, that was the year before. Thought it was in September so it was kinda close.
>>
Well, in 2001, we saw hands change and a general "kiddifying" of the network. I mean, this head was the guy who put Hamtaro on Toonami. Not to mention Chris Savino PPG and Dexlab.

Most of the good stuff on 2004-2007 were the stuff from the old eras like KND and Billy and Mandy. 2007-2009 started to kill those off, and suddenly the network has no trump card, making it DOA.

While 2010-2012 was pretty good, it all went to shit when Christina Miller took over. There's a reason I don't call the current network Cartoon Network, because the C in CN more clearly stands for Comedy instead.
>>
>>81541266

i remember how I kinda liked johnny test on wbkids, then caught some episodes as a kid in 2007 in a hotel and wow did it suck

2007 is also around when flapjack (wasn't that bad actually) and the rest of the one season garbage really kicked into gear

fucking dark times man
live action nickelodeon was the only thing left to watch, besides remnants of disney channel

kinda explains how Nick is garbage and cartoon network is back on top
>>
>>81541266
It sounds like Cartoon Network may be showing some warning signs in dipping again. Running Adventure Time and Regular Show into infinity, TTGo being spammed like no tomorrow, the shitty way they're handling Uncle Grandpa and Steven Universe (I don't watch them, but the season shifting they're doing with both shows is kinda shady and poor treatment).

I'm just speculating on what I've heard. It may be nothing, but it sounds like it could be something.
>>
>>81545283
this is a good point. we've past the peak momentum of CN, which arguably was 2013, when Regular Show and Adventure Time were really exploding
>>
>>81541266
You're acting like the shittiest time isn't now. Read this article and tell me SJWs aren't influencing the animation industry.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-powerpuff-girls-20160401-story.html
>>
They are trending downwards again while Nickelodeon and Disney are trending back up.
Too many AT clones and CalArts cheap, and they've lost the edge that made them unique, becoming too focused on progressive themes.
>>
>>81545020
>it all went to shit when Christina Miller took over
I just realized Synder was still president when CN started to rebuild in 2010. He made some stupid fucking decisions in the beginning but he turned it around in the end
>>
>>81545742
I don't get it. How did CN start to ''get better'' in 2010? And if you say Adventure Time, I'm going to punch you.
>>
>>81545283
Not to mention with shitty reboots like the powerpuff girls and wabbit shows that they are getting creatively bankrupt.
>>
>>81541266

Networks rise and fall with their hits. CN isn't going to shit, they just haven't found the next AT/RS/SU yet.

That said, the hole in CN's arsenal is a show with loose overarching structure in a 22-minute format. That's what they should be investing in, rather than the PPG reboot.
>>
>>81541526
I remember reading about that years ago like it was yesterday. Fucking bizarre lookin back at it

>destroy build destroy
>dude what would happen?
>>
>>81548081
I bet they would have introduced Yo Momma if they found CNreal to be working well
>>
>>81541266
>Boston scare

i thought adult swim was a separate entity?
>>
When Toonami died was when it noticeably turned for the worse for me.
>>
>>81541266
i grew up on that era of about 97 to 2004. i stopped watching the channel right after foster's home for imaginary friends began. i think that was around 2004 so i was 12. i think the newest show they had that i had any interest in was the REAL teen titans show, but when foster's came on it felt like the end of an era and that the channel was changing, and i was starting to grow up so i lost all interest in any cartoon that debuted after that point. ever since then pretty much the only cartoons i can actually enjoy are ones that i watched as a kid, which are mostly 90's cartoons, so it's not all that bad. in all seriousness it puzzles me when adults can still follow the cartoon scene and get enjoyment out of recent shows.
>>
>>81548300
uh huh... and why is /a/ crawling around our board, again?
>>
>>81547864
samurai jack.
thats their ace up the sleeve.
>>
>>81545728
What progressive themes?
If you mean Hurr Durr the Power-not Girls that's just because the reboots lazy, retarded and awful and it's agenda is only nebulously to blame for that.
>>
>>81550102

I should have prefaced that with "new/original."

I think it would be hard to find new audiences if it starts off as a direct continuation of the original. I'm also not entirely clear whether it will be on CN or Adult Swim. AS already has its hit.
>>
The only reason CN was any good in the first place is because it was run by nostalgic old farts who actually liked animation and was willing to shell out extra dollars to make things look good. When they all died off the new age CEOs took over and realized nobody was going to get rich off of this stuff so they defaulted to re-runs. Hell, before Cartoon Cartoon came out and started testing the waters for new IPs CN was made entirely of reruns from the 60s and 70s era cartoons. So if anything that brief several year run of new stuff was the abnormal programming and endless re-runs of crappy cartoons is the norm.

The dying toy market really didn't help either. The only reason cartoons are made in the first place is to sell merch. Less valuable merch means less money, even the ads for unrelated toys start being worth less so its a double whammy of terrible circumstances that makes the industry suffer for it.
>>
It still sucks. They're ruining it with TTG and the shitty kid vids/vines crap. I mean "Yoursdays"? Really? Who thought that would even be a good idea? it's not even out yet and I'm already dreading it.
>>
>>81541266
>cartoon network
>live action
I think you know the answer.
>>
>>81554113
What a marvelous impression of a stupid person.
>>
>>81541397
Destroy Build Destroy
>>
>>81550102
Remember what they did with the power puff girls
>>
>>81554189
So I take it you actually like garbage?
>>
>>81550038
>/a/
>liking Toonami enough to say that

Found the redditor
>>
>>81541266
Very good time.
>>
>>81545728
>Nick and Disney getting better
Disney's money printer in GF is over and they don't have a replacement yet
Nick has Harvey Beaks and maybe SB but nothing special
>>
>>81545789
Adventure time and regular show
>>
>>81550835
It was confirmed to be on Adult Swim
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.