[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's Discuss: Disney in the Early 2000's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: lilo.jpg (293 KB, 1000x1409) Image search: [Google]
lilo.jpg
293 KB, 1000x1409
Lilo and Stitch seems like a bit of a rarity for Disney in the first half of the 2000's - it was one of the few films they made in those years that actually seemed like a success from the get-go, all while still being separate from the Disney mold of the Renaissance. Other movies released in the same era (Treasure Planet, Atlantis, Brother Bear, etc.) didn't fare quite as well.

Why do you think that is? Do you think there are any other Disney movies from 2000 - 2005 that are worthwhile or Classic-tier? What do you think made Lilo and Stitch succeed where most of the others failed?
>>
Lilo and Stitch was solid because it had something for everyone - very attractive Chris Sanders-designed women, a well-written story, a comic relief mascot that all the kids loved. Some of the others like Atlantis and TP went too serious and kind of turned away the kind of people who would normally like Disney, while the people they aimed for didn't want to watch it at the time probably because they just don't associate Disney with those kinds of movies.
>>
I dunno, I'd say Emperor's New Groove was great as well, funniest movie by far in Disney. Maybe it's the focus on comedy that made those two successes, compared to the others.
>>
Stream on as part of a marathon. Lilo and Stitch, Treasure Planet, and Brother Bear.

live stream dot com slash oakshappyfuntime
>>
Nothing can compete with Dem Sanders women. NOTHING.
>>
>>81531432
not to mention it got its franchise wrapped up very tightly. i can't think of another example of a better-handled behemoth
>you do a movie, just to test the waters okay, cool.
>you do a sequel that doesnt matter too much but is still alright, reminds everyone the franchise exists and is continuing
>then you do a sequel that sets up a tv series. awesome.
>you give the tv series full immediate syndication, just like in the 80s-90s. none of that 'well maybe you get a season 3 but maybe not, oh, you wrote season 2 in such a haphazard way, that certainly isn't our fault' bullshit. you make it good, you use the same actors
>then one more movie that wraps up the tv series in a nice solid package, with a satisfying conclusion.
all within, what, 3 years? 5? it was TIGHT i tell you. It got in, did the job, and got out before anyone could be sick of it.
>>
>>81533371
And then the Japanese had to mess things up and make a shitty anime
>>
>>81534286
The humans weren't cute enough for them.
>>
>>81532133
Treasure Planet starting in a few minutes.
>>
Most of the Disney movies from the early millennium felt too gimmicky. I think Treasure Planet has some really cool designs and beautiful animation, but the overall story is kind of meh and I feel like it was trying to get kids to buy toys based on the hoverboards and that little pink blob thing.

Atlantis, same thing. Sell action figures on the characters and buy all the little vehicles.

Lilo and Stitch felt gimmicky, but it also had heart. It felt like a more like a Renaissance film than a cash in.

I'll also say I love Emperor's New Groove but I can see why people don't. We'd definitely be in a different world ad Kingdom of the Sun been made.
>>
>>81531716
I'd gotta say Lilo and Stich and Emperor's New Groove are in my top 5 Disney animated films.
>>
It was a solid franchise with a beginning middle and end its one of my top animated Disney movies right up there with Fantastia
Side note: why didn't Disney do more Fantasia movies night on dreary mountain was fucking fantastic and Fantasia 2000 wasn't half bad either but besides linear game they haven't done a thing with the brand
>>
>>81536076
Brother Bear coming up.
>>
>>81533371
L&S2 was made after Stitch! The Movie and the series, though.
>>
>>81536246
>I'll also say I love Emperor's New Groove but I can see why people don't. We'd definitely be in a different world ad Kingdom of the Sun been made.
Personally, I think would've been possible for Disney to "balance" the comedy of ENG with the "serious" elements of Kingdom of the sun. After all, they've done in many of their other movies (mix of comedy and serious moments).
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.